1.5k Orks vs Tau 'The List Wars part 1' - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: who will win?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Orks (tau will get slaughtered in combat once orks get close)

1 33.33%
  • Draw

2 66.67%
  • Tau (orks are going to get blown away at range without getting into combat)

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1.5k Orks vs Tau 'The List Wars part 1'

Hey LO this is an idea that ZhuPei and I came up with to add some spice to our games. The idea is simple:

A player can choose two different armies from the regular codices to play a game. The other player then chooses which of the two armies he would like to play as. The two players choose an agreeable point size (say 1500). The twist comes in where the two players must choose an army list from the army list section of their respective races. These army lists have to be from the first two pages of the army list sub-forum.

Not only does this add an element of surprise, it is also makes the game tremendously more difficult, as you are using an army which you may not have played before, or a list you would never have imagined. Without further ado I bring you the first instalment of our (hopefully) glorious List Wars!

List Wars! – Part One

For our first round of List Wars, I Suggested Orks and Tau, and ZhuPei, without a moment’s hesitation, chose Tau. At 1500. So I was left with Orks. My immediate thoughts were along the lines of ‘Great.. This is gonna be him shooting the crap out of me while I slowly rush towards him..’ I simply assumed then that I would have to take either a 1500 battlewagon rush, or a green tide.. Trukk rush was out of the question due to railguns… enough said.

For the list picking.. I had a number of options. There were a couple of trukk rushes, which I quickly discarded. A very interesting gretching spam/kan wall, a semi-battlewagon rush, and finally, a green tide. In the end, keeping in mind I was facing Tau, I chose Akivara’s Green Tide list! It can be found here: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ts-newbie.html

I was quite happy with this list, mainly because I did not believe that Tau could spam out THAT much anti-infantry firepower.

ZhuPei’s list picking was fast and brutal. He knew what he wanted, and quickly settled on BrockSamson’s list, which can be found here: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...bang-bang.html When I asked him why, he simply said ‘ suits, suits and more suits.’ Fair enough, I thought. Lucky for me he only had one Hammerhead which while being very hard to take out meant that he only had one blast in his whole army which meant my green tide would remain relatively intact.

Orks vs Tau

The board was a standard 6x4 with a major terrain piece in each quadrant. There was a river running through the middle with fords in the middle. The major terrain pieces were bastions and ruins (two of each) and had two ruined walls in front of them. My objective was placed central-right, behind a bastion. ZhuPei’s objective was placed on his left flank, on his bastion.

The mission was capture and control, and deployment was pitched battle.

We rolled off. I rolled a two, and Zhupei rolled a four. He gave me first turn.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more will be coming soon I still have to write it up
    Last edited by roferl; April 11th, 2012 at 09:13.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok here are the first 3 turns of the battle. I hope you all enjoy it.
    Deployment

Orks Fill up entire deployment zone, with the lootas on the two flanks, Big gunz spread evenly around. The ard’ boyz squad is deployed central to everything. I make a mistake here, forgetting to cover a squad of lootas onmy left flank with the force field.

Tau deploy as far back as possible, with the broadsides on a bastion. The hammerhead deploys behind the bastion on his side. Devilfish + fire warriors in reserve. His deathrain squads are on his right flank(three man), and in the middle(two squad of two). His HQ squads are behind his ruin, and the bastion.

He fails to seize, rolling a three.
    The game turns 1-3
    Turn One:
    Orks-
    Orks amble forward the full six inches. Lootas and Big gunz stay stationary. Shooting looks good. Lootas getting 2-3 shots apiece. It then turns very bad, with the lootas failing badly, doing a wound to the squad of three on the his right flank, and one wound to his squad of two in the middle. It gets even worse, with most of my big gunz out of range. The one peak of my shooting phase was when my middle squad of big gunz killed a broadside. Orks run forward further.

Tau-
    All suits jumped forward six inches, preparing to fire on the lootas and big gunz. His shooting phase was largely successful. His Broadside downed a big gun, while the battlesuits killed six from my right flank, and five from the other. Hammerhead kills three with the submunition blast. Right flank lootas fail leadership and flee off the board. He then ends his turn by jumping all his battlesuit squads back.

Turn Two:
    Orks-
    Orks continue to move + run forward. The big gunz also move forward, having been out of range last turn. Shooting saw the 5 lootas put four wounds on his right flank battlesuit squad, leaving them with one standing with just a wound left.

Tau-
    Both Devilfish come on from reserve, coming on six inches in the center. Everything jumps forward again. Shooting was again effective, wiping the my left flank big gunz, destroying another from the squad on the right, and bring the middle ard’ boyz squad to just 13 men. His one wounded Battlesuit fluffs it.

Turn Three:
    Orks-
    Ork squads run forward again, preparing to charge next turn. Shooting sees the lootas getting revenge, finishing off his wounded battlesuit. All big gunz shooting whiffs.

Tau-
    Tau line up to fire upon the ard’ boyz squad. A devilfish moves to start making a dash for the objectives. Shooting was brutal. Massed firepower completely wiped out my ard’ boyz squad, and taking out a further four models from the squad behind.

More will be up tomorrow and in the mean time don't forget to vote

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the end game

here is the rest.

Turn four:
    Orks-
    Orks declare a waaagh! Moving everything forward. Lootas shoot 3 shots each and fail horribly, meanwhile my 4 remaining big guns all fire at two man battlesuit squad on his left flank and drop 1. I then charge both squads at the forward devilfish and I get one stunned result and one weapon destroyed result. Oh wow.

Tau-
    Both fire warrior squads disembark. The first squad in the stunned devilfish went into the bastion, the other squad went towards my objective. His crisis battle suits closed in on my two squads of boys. His broadside also hopped down from the bastion to stand right next to my boyz. His shooting killed most of the remaining boyz in the squad without a big mek leaving 2 of them and a 1 wound nob still alive bosspole then killed another one but I didn’t flee. In assault he charged my big squad or boyz with his broadside hoping that my pile in move would stop me from multi-charging next turn. He punched out one ork boy before being smashed to bits by my squad.

Turn five:
    Orks-
    At this point my decimated forces seem to be close to getting overwhelmed and all I’m really trying to do is draw. My 2 man squad moves after the fire warrior squad and prepares to charge while my big squad moves around the devilfish to multi-charge the devilfish and the Shas el plus bodyguard. This turn my shooting was nothing short of amazing, I blow up his devilfish(the untouched one) using lootas, my three big guns down both body guards from the squad that I wasn’t going to charge. I then took of a battle squad from the unhurt 2 man squad. His leader from the previous squad then flees of the board. To end my turn I charge the squad running towards my objective with my boy and nob my ork boy kills 4 and then passes his armour save to the retaliation attacks my nob finishes of the squad. My large squad also multi assaults his remaining leader plus retinue. In combat they kill a single ork, while I wreck the tank and put a wound on one of the bodyguard. I then win combat he fails his leadership test and gets swept. In hindsight this turn could not have gone better me everything I could’ve killed I killed suffering only a single casualty.

Tau-
    After an amazing ork turn tau had very little left on the board to hurt me with. He started his turn by moving his 2 remaining crisis battle suits (separate squads) forward so that one was right behind the two man squad and the other was standing next to my big squad. His first battle suit killed my two man squad. The rest of his army fired on my big squad and when the dust cleared 17 were still standing including the big mek and nob. He then assaults the squad with his battlesuit forcing me to pile in 6 inches away from the objective the battlesuit kills one before getting smashed into tiny little pieces I then get lucky and consolidate 6 inches back into contesting range of the objective.

If the game ends now it will end in a draw.

And the result is: 5

Turn 6:
    Ork-
    After seeing how potentially dangerous him charging in his battle suit could be I disattached the big mek and prepared to charge his last crisis battle suit. The rest of my army then shot at his fire warriors, the big guns killed 2 but the ork boyz fluffed completely forcing a leadership that would decide the game if it doesn’t go on to turn 7. He passes. My big mek charges into his last battle suit but both sides fluff completely.

Tau-
    With only two units he could move his turn went very quicklyhe tank shocked six inches and forced my ork squad to clump up he then landed his submunition blast wounding 9. Kustom force field then saved the day with only three dropping his rapid firing dropped a further dropped a further 2 forcing a leadership which due to bosspole killed another on leaving 9 orks alive. The turn ended with my big mek putting a wound on the crisis battle suit (who had been wounded earlier) killing him out right.

If the game ends now it will end in a draw

And the result is: 2

DRAW

hope you guys all enjoyed the battle report we hope to be making more of them in the future

roferl

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

nice battle report i'd have bet on orks, honestly.
    I don't use Vendettas or Valks...if Guardsmen were meant to fly, the Emperor would have given them wings. (343rd Mordian)
    The battle for Hidaxes SubSector (Listwar)! 184th Cadian blog: 184th.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cheers, but we played the auto tie mission (two objectives) wich basically meant i had to table him or beat him with only two squads of orks wich for wich he had a little bit too much fire power especially since most of my fire power died first turn.

+ Reply to Thread