De Vs Ig 1500 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: De Vs Ig 1500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow...My friend who usually plays tau decided to try out imperial guard for a change, while I got my first chance to field my WWP army. He fielded 201 models, no tanks, just going for sheer manpower, with numerous autocannons and grenade and missle launchers, usually one to a squad (no heavy weapons teams...). I was outnumbered by more than 3 to 1, but luckily I got the first turn...

I decloaked my mandrakes to give my large assault squad a screen as they charged forward to position the first wwp, with the haemonculous right behind. I knew that he would take the bait of the mandrakes because they were just standing there and taunting him...With the use of the assault squad and a small sniper squad back in my quarter, I shot at and (nearly) wiped out his Ogryn squad, which was nearest to my forces, and I braced for the firepower that he would bring to bear...

Well, it took him the turn to wipe out my mandrakes, due to their excellent cover saves, so my sniper squad was safe from harm...My haemi dropped his portal, while the squad charged the remaining ogryns, wiping out all but one, who took down a warrior for his troubles, but was severely wounded in the process. at this point, he had about 10 times as many models on the board as I did, and, while a chunk moved off to get the other half of his side of the board and some consolodated their positions, a horde of guard charged in to make a huge melee in the far reaches of his table quarter. My warriors were wiped out, but they managed to take down a handfull of a squad of stormtroopers that he had thrown into the fray...Sheer weight of numbers brought my troops down...

His forces were now dangerously near my WWP, and, because it was now the 3rd turn, A ravager (2 Diss, 1 DL), Talos, My Drachon w/6 incubi in a raider, and another raider squad emerged to do battle. They, along with my lone haemonculous, exploded onto the battlefield in a flurry of shooting and assaulting, wiping out the survivors of the grand melee, springing towards my opponent's forces that were fortified back in his table corner. The few squads of his that had moved laterally to capture the full board edge were unscathed this turn. In his turn, again there was a flurry of counterassault, both against my drachon and retinue, who, with the talos, were engaging a (now huge) detatchment of Guard on the left flank, and against my raider squad, who had ventured too far in their sweeping advance and paid for it by now trapped in a fierce melee with over two IG squads. In addition, the Talos took a wound from massed
    autocannon/grenade/missle fire, and a raider as well as the ravager bit the dust.

In my turn 4, My remaining raider squad and ravager emerged and lept into the board-spanning melee. More IG squads were neutralized in the numerous close combats, but there was always plenty more where that came from. My haemi and ravager used their template weapons to deadly effect as well. In his turn, the haemi died and he stunned the Ravager, as well as pouring more troops towards the assaults. In my turn 5, My sniper squad whittled down a small 5-man detatchment that he skirted around my left flank to try and capture an uncontested table quarter. The running melees went on and on, with brief respits for my troops only being in between sweeping advances after annihilating his units.

The same thing went for his turn 5. Then, in my last turn, My Incubi and Dracon were left out of effective range of anything, so they moved behind cover that would allow them to contest the board edge that was behind my left flank. I moved my talos to contest the section in front of that, where the enemy resided, and I sped my ravager and raider to his left flank table corner, where two of his squads had entrenched themselves...I nuked one with the ravager, but could not reduce the other squad to below half strength.

In my deployment zone was my sniper squad, who 'took care of' the remaining three member squad that advanced along my left flank, so my HO's presence was uncontested, as was the sniper squad's. In his deployment zone, a melee between my agonizer weilding sybarite of a squad now decimated by attrition was in a heroic stand-off between three or four IG units, with a squad of five warriors nearby that were battling a fresh squad of IG, but winning.
    His turn involved trying to eliminate my talos with every gun in his arsenal, but he failed to take a wound off. THE SYBARITE LIIIIIVES!!! Gotta promote him...
    In conclusion: A DE Victory- Controlled 2 table quarters and contested the others, but such a victory was probably the closest game that I've ever had, because my army was outnumbered more than three to one and was also not geared for fighting IG hordes (good for tau, though... :rolleyes: ) It was something akin to fighting in a jar of honey, because as soon as you engaged one unit, he countercharged with two more. The plus was that his deployment was heaven for my haemi and ravager...Template weps rock against IG in such closely packed formations...Comments?
    Edit: sorry about the sloppy post

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's really hard to read one big paragraph. In the future you might add some line breaks between turns if you'd actually like people to read your reports.
    This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick Of Seeing More People.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see another DE win, especially versus guard. However, remember a lesson, whenever playing mass troops, good ol splinter cannons will be a god send, there assault and strength are just lovely against this find of foe.

Otherwise, nice battle report, an army list for yourself wouldnt go a miss.

-Gibb

Legendary Dark Eldar Site

"To play the blues, all you need is barbwire strung to a wooden pulp, an aching heart, and a babe who done left you"

Win/Loss- Who Cares?

"The only thing thats good to lose is your virginity"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry- Here's my list and what I think he took

1 haemi-shadow field (didn't need it for the drachon) WWP, sh, destructor

1 Drachon, 6 Incubi in raider with horrorfex (in wwp, didn't lose a point from this unit all game)

Elites
    9 Mandrakes

Troops
    Sniper squad (2 dark lances, 10 warriors total)

Large assault squad (17 warriors total with 2 splinter cannons, 2 blasters, syb with sp and ccw)

Raider squad 1 (9 warriors total with 1 sc, 1 bl, 1 syb with agonizer and sp) Raider has horrorfex

Raider squad 2 (9 warriors total with 1 sc, 1 bl, 1 syb with ccw and sp) Raider has horrorfex

Heavy Support
    1 Talos
    2 Ravagers (2 dissies, 1 dl each)

He had a 6 man hq squad with two heavy weapons, and about 4 platoons with around 40 men between the squads, including either grenade launchers or autocannons. He also had 2 stormtrooper squads with no upgrades, an armored fist squad in a chimaera (I "took care" of the chimaera early on, but not before the AF squad got into melee with my huge hugeLY outnumbered assault squad) and a squad of ogryns. He also took 2 commissars. It came out to 201 models for a bit under 1500 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the use of warriors that you use, as you use a good amount to semi-counter that huge hoard of guard. IT must suck to paint all of that. Anyhow...

Ravagers and talos seemed good, I like your thinking. The longer your ravagers last the more stuff on the other side goes down. Keep trying keep them alive, as they are very important.

troops-excellent- but as suggested maybe more splinter cannon squads, but the raider squads were great

mandrakes is very tactically good against these guys, I dont think even a wwp was even necessarty. Make sure they get into hth combat, you can wait a bit, cause you uncloaked them too quickly.

I wouldve though substituted that squad for a possible jetbike squad. RUn circles around the guard and it could've provided you some help to distract the opponent to land some huge heavy firepower on the bikes, as you have your invulnerable save, and can keep the damage off your raiders and ravagers.

Your hq wasnt bad, but I think your haemi couldve been on bike for better effect with the shadow field. Maybe even no wwp, but thats all your choice

your incubi drachon wasnt bad, psychologically you scared him, so you did a good job. Maybe jetbike a drachon and run him into a squad of ig with drugs and a bike, and your shadow field probably wont break before he enters his pw into the squad. Couldve provided a bit more speed.

You did a good job, your army was very well prepared for the amount of IG. Just keep in mind, as a tau player, he will avoid hth at all costs. SO using speed and get into hth, he will die. In his head and on the battlefield. Dark eldar=speed.

incubi
    "There is no middle ground. Strike Hard, strike fast and strike first."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I think my army list could have been optimized a lot better to go up against IG...When I made it, I thought I was going to be playing Tau, as usual. Also, this game was, in addition to being my first WWP list, the first game I played with drachon/incubi combo-usually I run a tooled up archon on a RJB- I think that reavers would get bogged down in cc, and they have to get pretty close up to be effective- He kept his army bunched up for the most part, which would have allowed him to bring massed guns to bear on the reavers. If I knew he was playing footslogging guard, I probably would have gone footslogging myself, with 3 ravagers et al., including raider squads...as it was, the wwps really cut back on my hitting power because, while my units lurked in the webway, I was facing serious attrition on the board. Case in point- my drachon, retinue, and talos churning through entire squads of guard, with literally no respite to attack more strategically.

+ Reply to Thread