Tyranids Vs Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyranids Vs Tau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi guys. I played my friend in a quick 1000pt game. I used mostly paper army to try out new units. Here's the army lists as vaguely as i remembered-

--------TYRANIDS--------

HQ - Hive Tyrant with Scything Talons, Venom Cannon, AG,TS,EC,ES and Warp Blast.

2 Tyrant Guards

ELITES - 2 Lictors

3 Warriors - 2 Death Spitters, 1 Venom Cannon
    3 Warriors - 3 Rending Claws

TROOPS

16 Spinegaunts (gaunt + spine fists) 1 Hive Node
    16 Spinegaunts 1 Hive Node
    24 Hormagaunts 1 Hive Node

HEAVY SUPPORT

Carnifex with EC, BP(bioplasma), ST and VC

----TAU----
    HQ
    Aunshi

ELITES
    3 Stealth Battlesuits with leader

TROOPS
    12 Fire Warriors with leader
    12 Fire Warriors with leader
    18 Kroot (full squad, i forgot how many)

FAST ATTACK

12 Drones
    6 Pathfinders, 2 with Rail-rifles
    Devilfish

HEAVY SUPPORT

Hammerhead with Railgun
    Broadside Battlesuit

TYRANID TURN 1

I luckily began. With my troops already in cover, I slowly moved forward, keeping in cover. My lictor was behind a forest which he had moved his Devilfish near previously (pre-game-move). All my units were covered by some sort of cover or were too far from enemy fire. My lictor charged the devilfish, missing all 4 attempts!

TAU TURN 1

The deaths begun! His Hammerhead hovered to the right of the battlefield. The Devilfish zoomed away from the lictor, parking ontop of a large hill where they were literally inside my army, staring down at my Hive Tyrant. The Pathfinders got out and aimed their markerlights at my Hive Tyrant. However, no hits! The Hammerhead launched the sub-ammunition shot air-borne, hitting directly in the middle of my large Hormagaunt squad. 10 bugs were hit and only 2 were spared. Had the squad have been any smaller and the unit would have been very vulnerable.

TYRANID TURN 2

I know knew that the Hammerhead could potentially wipe out dozens of my troops, as well as the Pathfinders. I moved the Carnifex out of cover. It's Vennom Cannon stared at the Hammerhead now. My Spinegaunts and Hormagaunts charged forwards, clashing with the drones. My safe lictor charged the Fire Warrior squad as my Warriors, Hive Tyrant and Guards fired at the Devilfish and Pathfinders. The Hammerhead was Immobilized for a turn, the Devilfish was destroyed, and all of the Pathfinders were wiped out! One majoy threat annihilated!!! In the Assault Phase, the drone squad was destroyed as the 40 gaunts moved onwards to the kroot squad. The lictor did well too, killing only 2 Fire Warriors, loosing 1 but staying in close combat.

TAU TURN 2

Because most of the tau units were either dead or in close combat, hardly any shooting took place. The broadside moved beside the Hammerhead and fired its missiles at the Carnifex, none of which penetrated the monster's thick carapace. The Stealth Squad moved forward and fired at the Carnifex before flying back in the assault phase. One of the shots wounded the Carnifex! At the majoy disadvantage of being in close combat, the tau tried to fight of the tyranids but in the end lost the entire kroot squad and 7 fire warriors, only to kill off 8 gaunts!

TYRANID TURN 3

The Hive Tyrant and its guards charged forward, firing and wounding 2 of the Stealth Suits. Luckily, Aunshi's prescence kept them from fleeing. The Carnifex fired its Vennom Cannon at the Hammerhead yet again, both shots hitting and glancing. One shot destroyed the Railgun while the other finished off the tank, leaving the broadside protected only by a gun drone. The gaunts continued their slaughter, charging the fire warrior squad with the aid of the dying lictor. However, Aunshi was in the battle as well. The tau leader slayed 12 gaunts with the help of the 2 fire warrior squad! The gaunts and lictor then finished off the weak squad of fire warriors and destroyed both of Aunshi's drones!

TAU TURN 4

With almost no chance of survival, the Stealth Suits had no choice but to try and target the Hive Tyrant. They floated into the tyranid area, firing at the tyrant's guards. 1 was wounded but none died. The stealth suits retreated in the assault phase behind a forest. The broadside had more luck, however, wounding the Carnifex. The firewarriors and Aunshi wounded another 5 gaunts before the great tau leader fell to the bugs! The lictor also fell before wounding 2 fire warriors. The tau were almost lost now. Their squads were broken and their leader was lost.

TYRANID TURN 5

The Hive Tyrant and its guard fired their weapons at the broken stealth squad, killing the leader. They then joined the large battle between the firewarriors and gaunts. The Carnifex fired it's massive weapon at the Broadside which destroyed the suit's drones. In the battle, the entire squad of fire warriors was wiped out by the massive Hive Tyrant. The battle was almost won by the tyranids now.

TAU TURN 5

With no chance of survival, the remaining Stealth Suit kept his honour and flew behind the Carnifex. The Broadside and Stealth Suit fired at the Carnifex. The Rail gun shot wounded the beast, leaving him on a single wound. The Stealth Suit fired, but was unsuccesful, almost wounding the creature. It then hovered into cover as the Broadside became sandwhiched by the Hive Tyrant and Carnifex.

TYRANID TURN 6

The Hive Mind had almost completely absorbed the tau's bio-mass. The Carnifex charged towards the broadside, no shots hitting but reaching the battlesuit. The gaunts, hive tyrant and guards then charged the broadside while the remaining warriors destroyed the final Stealth Suit. The broadside battlesuit was destroyed instantly, giving the Tyranids an enormous victory!!!!

---------TYRANID VICTORY---------

That's about it!

"If a ninja does anything anywhere it won't make a sound, but if it does it's probably gonna be the last sound you hear."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

Well played and well written. Though I don't think this was legal:

TYRANID TURN 5

The Hive Tyrant and its guard fired their weapons at the broken stealth squad, killing the leader. They then joined the large battle between the firewarriors and gaunts
    Tyrants are the same as every other unit in the game in that they must charge at what they shot at. If the unit they shot at was wiped out from ranged attacks, they can't charge. Tyrants may, however, chose to fire at a different target than the unit they had joined with. So Gurad could fire at one unit, and the Tyrant at another, but neither could assalt anything.

Though, at the rate you were going, I doubt it would have mattered if they joined those gaunts. Victory was seemingly yours anyway.

Congrats on the victory.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes well played, although I don't think the tau really had an idea what was going on :rofl:, and a decent battle report. Just one thing, so you know and you're not being cheated, Markerlights are heavy weapons so your opponent couldn't deploy from devilfish and fire them in the same turn.
    What up?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Gojiratoho@Dec 30 2004, 12:51
    So Gurad could fire at one unit, and the Tyrant at another, but neither could assalt anything.
    [snapback]289460[/snapback]
    Yes, you can shoot and still assault because Tyranid weapons are Assault weapons. You just can't get the bonus attack for charging....

Anyway's, good report, but you really need to start buying some models--all this paper stuff (this isn't your first report using paper substitutes, if I remember right) must be driving your friend crazy. He's probably losing 'cause he can't tell what's what at a glance!
    Purge all the heretics,
    Kill the alien scum,
    Suffer not the unclean to live,
    And have a beer when you're done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by 40Kgreybeard@Dec 31 2004, 07:22
    Yes, you can shoot and still assault because Tyranid weapons are Assault weapons. You just can't get the bonus attack for charging....
    You can shoot and charge with Assault weapons,
    however you can't shoot one thing and charge another.

I think they also took out losing the bonus attack for charging if you fire. (i need to check this, not quite sure)

If both the Guard and the Tyrant shot at the Stealth Suits, neither would be able to charge another unit (the Firewarriors).
    If only the Guard fired, the Tyrant could leave them and charge the Firewarriors.

I think Broadsides are being confused with Crisis Suits at some point, as Broadsides only get Plasma Rifles which they can fire when they move.

nice report , though I think the Tau were in big trouble the moment they got engaged en-mass on the second turn.

Rolf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DAMMIT i lost 5 bucks on thisd battle...the dam tau had the major upper chance here...i mean they had the things to sit back and fire...i think the tau player had next to no idead of what he was doing. no affence but he seemed to screw everything up....but i must say he put up a good fight... but i must say the whole thing with you and you tyrant was wierd...i mean firing and assaulting 2 diff units...tut tut tut...shame on you for cheating.
    P.S. Blood angels rule, the anger lets us ignore wounds ...hehehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Let's clear this up:

Tyrant's must assault what they shot at, just like everything else.

Shooting with Assault weapons does not affect a models ability to declare a charge, nor do they affect the bonus attack You get from charging. Note that in 4thEd, if You're eligible to charge in the first place, You always get the bonus even if You shot.

Tyrant and Guards shooting at separate target is not something which should happen, since there's no point in shooting at something else with the Guards.

TMCs joined to an unit shooting at another target from the unit itself is also something which shouldn't happen... Simply don't shoot at another target if You're planning to charge!

Note that joining units happens in the Movement phase. Thus a Tyrant can not leave in the Shooting phase.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Uzi-99@Jan 4 2005, 09:13
    Let's clear this up:

Tyrant's must assault what they shot at, just like everything else.

Shooting with Assault weapons does not affect a models ability to declare a charge, nor do they affect the bonus attack You get from charging. Note that in 4thEd, if You're eligible to charge in the first place, You always get the bonus even if You shot.

[snapback]293072[/snapback]

Really? Was this a departure from the TAR? I thought that if you shot at all, then you forfeited your charge bonus because you were concentrating on shooting as you moved into CC, rather than working yourself into a frenzy. There was some verbage to that effect in some description of the new assault rules, but I don't remember where I saw it.

So an assault squad can shoot their pistols and still assault, yes-but they get their charge bonus too? I thought it was either one or the other, not both. This was one of the things Andy Chambers was specifically trying to scale back. No shooting a unit then charging another; no charge bonus if you shot that turn.
    Purge all the heretics,
    Kill the alien scum,
    Suffer not the unclean to live,
    And have a beer when you're done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you could, totally blot out any rule you read related to TAR.

Just kind of forget it in any way, shape or form. Imagine a world without TAR, then live that world. You can be the butterfly.

TAR be fightin' words round these parts.

Yeah, its pretty much a: I charged, I get bonus, me caveman. Regardless of weapon you shot with. Of course now weapons like the Bolter and the Plasmagun have had their roles solidified a tad more according too all these new rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

As Pyre stated...

Losing the charge bonus if You shot was a TAR rule which didn't make the final cut into the 4thEd Assault rules.

Nowhere in the 4thEd book does it say You lose Your charge bonus if You shoot... If You're eligible to charge in the first place, You get the bonus since the 4thEd Assault rules don't specify otherwise.

Of course, Rapid Fire weapons became rather restricted in this matter, so it all pans out.

4thEd page 36, "Declare Charges", right column, "Shooting and Assaulting".

4thEd page 40, left column, "Attacks", second paragraph, "Charge Bonus".

As we can see, shooting doesn't affect the charge bonus.

Of course, since "Charge what You shot at" is still in 4thEd and with no exceptions (unlike the TAR), this limits shooting and assaulting a bit.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast