Necron Campaign - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Necron Campaign

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

Hey all,

I have a campaign starting up (possibly tonight, need to double check my info packet) that will run 6 weeks, meaning hopefully 6 fights. I am going to write up the battle report for each, win lose or draw, and post it as an ongoing story. I've written a few other BRs and they were done in a storytelling style. I'll include army lists as well. I don't know who I'll fight when, but I know that there are the following:

1 Necron player (me)
    2 Tau players
    2 Chaos players (Emps Children, World Eaters)
    Salamnders
    Imperial Guard
    Orks

If I have my first fight tonight, I'll do up the report tomorrow. If not, I'll put up the campaign backstory tomorrow and then post the BRs on following Tuesdays.

EDIT:
    I didn't bring in the back story, but it revolves around an Arch Magos who was consumed with researching arcane items to further his own power. A Chaos champion poisoned his heart and furthered his own quest through this arch Magos. Here is the preface to the first battle (I'll add more back story when I remember to bring in the info packet)

Chaos Lord Dragan Volker would have smiled, if he still possessed a
    face. Inside his massively baroque terminator armor, there was almost nothing
    vaguely human. Mostly there was bone, wires and liquid.
    Several pict screens flashed picts of landings and initial battles.
    The Tau envoys moved little, consolidating their position and pursuing unknown
    goals. Native orks moved in from the south, intent on wreaking havoc.
    The Necron prescence was unexpected, and troublesome. Already they moved
    toward the fortress. Arch Magos kept some secrets even in death.
    Imperial Guard forces frittered helplessly to the south, having found
    their PDF damsels in distress gone. Soon they would be destroyed by
    Kaer'micch't. The Emperor's Children moved against him. It was to be expected. The alliance they had formed was only good until they were outside
    Abbadabbadoobadon's influence. Already, the curs had run out of
    slaves. Perhaps they will find out what happened to the PDF forces.
    The World Eaters had not yet run out of skulls, still they prowled the
    streets around Execution Square. The only real concern was the Salamanders Legion. Volker did not expect Astartes forces here in Koden. They consolidated their position in a most unsettling manner.

Far below Volker's citadel, slaves labored tirelessly, drilling into a
    most formidable series of vaults. His prize was close, and daemonhood
    closer...

Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

I kinda felt sorry for you because no one has replied, so I'll leave this post. Good luck in your campaign. Take a look at my Dark Angels vs. Necrons meatgrinder battle report, while we're on the subject.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not that we're not watching... I was just waiting for the actual battle reports. The fluff's a good hook though.

I like it.
    <span style='color:green'>Knave</span>
    (&#39;nAv) - noun - Middle English, A tricky deceitful fellow

<span style='color:green'>0010 Types of Fleshbags, Necon Army</span> 5/3/1 - 1/2 at the tourney last weekend, (sigh)
    &quot;There are 10 types of people. Those that understand binary and those that don&#39;t.&quot;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, come on dude, wheres the reports?&#33;

We are watching.

Justin
    Wednesday nights at GW (Ontario Mills in Ontario, CA)
    W/L/T
    14/3/0

Latest Victims
    4-7-05 - SoB 1200, S&D Omega, Opponent was new.
    4-7-05 - ME! Chris beats me again with his space wolves (he is a good palyer without his eldar).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x4)

My first battle is tonight. 1500 pts, unknown scenario, unknown enemy (though I&#39;m assuming it&#39;s going to be the Chaos force that is currently on planet, not the World Eaters or the Emperor&#39;s Children as they are other players and both on the other side of the board)

Though I could be as unlucky as the Imp Guard player. He got a Random Event for first turn, and he can&#39;t use his vehicles due to a miscalc in their dropship. Not a big deal, but his first fight is a sustained attack by 3000 points of Zombies (I&#39;m assuming they are sustained until 3000pts are killed). Pretty scary idea when all you have are guardsmen. If only he had a shopping mall he could hole up in.

But yeah, first battle report will be posted tomorrow.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x4)

1500 Strongpoint Assault vs Death Guard.

Defender

7 Plague Marines in a Rhino

7 Plague Marines in a Rhino

1 Lt. With Man Reaper attached to one of the Marine squads

Dreadnaught w/ Mutated Hull and Auto Cannon

4 Nurgling Bases

4 Terminators

6 man IG traitor squad w/ Sniper rifle and Missle Launcher

Defiler

Corrupted Leman Russ battle tank (Not legal but it was captured from the PDF in his fluff. He took a 150 pt hit to his force, so he played with 1350)

Attacker

1 Lord Phase Shifter Res Orb

1 Lord Destroyer Body Res Orb

10 Warriors

10 Warriors

5 Destroyers

5 Destroyers

7 Immortals

6 Scarab bases with D. Fields

The field was set up as thus:

In the defenders deployment zone were 2 bunkers, each on the corners facing the opposite side of the board. Nurglings sat in the left one and the IG squad held the right.

The dread deployed next to the Left Bunker. The Defiler sat between the bunkers in a rubble field. The Rhinos sat on either side of the Defiler. Another rubble field sat behind and to the left of the Defiler, and the Leman Russ was deployed on a half ruined wall behind the Defiler and to it’s right.

To the left of the left bunker was a statue, and beyond that a small hill. To the right of the right bunker was another rubble field, past that was a small building. On the opposite side of the board was a hill on the left most quarter of the board. A large hill sat in the middle, starting from the board edge and extending 12 inches. Another large hill was to the right of that, and a statue and an oil storage tank were in the right quarter.

My Destroyers started off the board, Warrior A started on the large hill in the middle of the long table edge, the lord and immortals to the right of them, and Warrior B to the right of them. The scarabs started behind the hill on the defenders side of the board.

Pre turn 1:

The Necron Lord walked forward through the hazy midday light. The Testing grounds that surrounded the Palace were open hilly fields with a few forward bunker emplacements. His sensors detected activity, both surrounding the 2 forward bunkers as well as a more scattered contingent around the outer perimeter. 2 Warrior squads and an Immortal squad followed him. Inert Scarabs were hidden behind a hill, but a silent signal from the Lord activated them. They surged to life and scuttled past Marine patrols towards the Leman Russ.

Pre turn 2:

As the Necrons took up firing positions, the Scarabs flowed up the sides of the Leman Russ and into its circuit boards. Klaxons went off in the Chaos camp as the Scarabs destroyed vital power lines, knocking the firing mechanism out. The guard inside frantically tried to affect repairs.

Turn 1 Chaos:

The Scarabs relayed back that the Rhino on the right had thrown into reverse and dumped it’s Marines. The bolter fire and a Meltagun destroy a third of the scarabs as the rest disappeared into the tank. Having been spotted, the Lord commanded his troops to prepare for enemy fire. Even as he did so, a shell from the Defiler tore through the squad on the hill, destroying 4 in the blast. The Dreadnaught also trained it’s guns on the Warriors, but failed to pierce their metal skin. As the second squad of Warriors moved up the field, the Traitorous Guard fired a missile and sniper round, but missed horribly.

Turn 1 Necron:

On the hill, the Warriors fortified their position. One of their fallen stood back up from the crater.
    The Immortals, hidden from the view of the mighty Dreadnaught by the hill, swept into range. Gauss blasts damaged the locomotion of the Dread, as well as it’s targeting array. At the same time, the Leman Russ erupted in a gout of flame as a sea of insects poured from its hull. Had the outer shell been able to do so, the Lord would have smiled in his arrogance.

Turn 2 Chaos:
    A transmission coming from one of the bunkers drew the Lords attention. He quickly jammed it as the Rhino carrying the Lt. charged towards the hill with his Warriors. 7 Marines and a Lt. poured from the hatches. A hail of bolter and Melta fire flew from their twisted guns, cutting down 2 more of the Warriors. To the Lord’s right, another Defiler shell ripped through the Immortal, now fully in view of all the Chaos legion. The blast tore 2 from their feet, the concussion and shrapnel glancing harmlessly off the rest. In the distance, the Lord monitors through the Scarabs, as small arms fire opens a hole for the Marines to charge in. Having fulfilled their primary objective, and the Marines cutting them off from their secondary one, the Lord issues his final command to them, and this is hold the Marines as long as possible.

As the second squad of Warriors moves ever closer, the Guard fire again with their Sniper and Missile Launcher. Both shots sail between all viable targets, striking a small hill in the distance. Frantic lasgun fire seers through the air. The massive volley is enough to drop 2 of the metal warriors.

The Lord monitors silently as the Death Guard tear through the metal insects mercilessly. Having lost the final signal coming from the Scarab, the Lord switched to a long range view. He watched as the unscathed squad barely makes it back into their Rhino. Its engines rev to life again as it reverses gears and speeds towards his Warriors on the ground. The first flicker of doubt would have crossed his heart, if he had one.

Turn 2 Necron:

Realizing that the warriors of Nurgle were trying to call in reenforcements, the Lord signals for a nearby destroyer force. 1 group responded to his call and swooped in from the left flank. As the Destroyers took position behind a gothic statue, the Lord willed his troops to rise. Next to him on the hill, 2 form up from the bodies on the ground, and 1 from the right flank also rose. The Defiler shell proved to much for the Immortals, and their corpses faded in green balefire.

The Lord’s attentions turn toward the hill, having sensed a warrior of great power on the other side. His Immortals and Warriors moved forward towards the entrenched enemies, while the ones on the hill took up a firing position against he Marines and Lt. With the help of the Lord’s Staff, 2 Chaos Marines are flayed, layer by layer, into the aether.

The Warriors tried to flush the Guard from the bunker, but the walls proved too thick even for the might of their Gauss weapons. The Immortals again targeted the Chaos Dreadnaught, and again its locomotion is jammed. This volley also managed to sheer off the Autocannon. The Defiler, seemingly intent on raining down more death on its enemies, failed to notice the Destroyers moving up on its flank. This error costs it dearly, as the Destroyer squad reduced it devastating main cannon to atoms.

Turn 3 Chaos:

The threat of the Nurgle Champion distracted the Lord long enough for the distress call to go out from the Guard. Almost immediately, a thunderclap echoed through the sky as 4 Nurgle Terminators materialized next to the bunker of Nurglings. They opened fire even before they fully solidified, as such only one Warrior fell. The Defiler, switching to its secondary weapon system, joined its fire to support the Terminators. Still reeling from its damaged cannon, all of its shots fail to connect. The Marines at the foot of the hill send in Melta and Bolt pistol shots to try and further weaken the squad before they assault. 1 Warrior falls to the super heated bolt of energy of the Melta while the other shots bounced harmlessly off the living metal shells.

On the other side of the battle, both Rhinos tore up earth as they sped towards the Warriors on the ground. The empty transport managed to herd the Immortals away from the Dread, and block their firing lane. The other again dropped its cargo and another hail of death is unleashed. Only the strength of the Melta gun is enough to destroy any of the Necrons. Another sniper and Missile strike are sailed past the Warrior squad and into the hill behind them. A curse loud enough to be heard over the roar of engines reverberated over the battlefield.

Back on the hill, the Marines began their climb up the embankment. The Warriors tried in vain to slow their assault, but the Gauss blasts only managed to blow chunks from the surrounding terrain. Before the Marines could even engage with the Necrons, their Lt. swept forth and swung his mighty Man Reaper. None of the remaining Warriors were able to put up any defense and the Lord, facing 6 Plague Marines, began to recalculate its position.

Turn 3 Necron:

As the Marines moved in on the Lord, the commander of the Destroyer detachment came up on them from behind. The hulking Lord, mounted on a Destroyer platform, flew forward and joined its brother in melee. The Immortals and Warriors opened fire on the 7 plague Marines before them, but even with their combined effort, the gifts of Nurgle proved to be too much even for them. The Defiler’s cannon no longer a threat, the Destroyers turned their focus on the Terminators. Gauss beams tore through the air, and when the green fog cleared one of the massive Terminator suits was nothing but ash.

The Nurgle Lt. once again brought the power of the Man Reaper to bear. The attacks were staggering, but the Lord managed to activate his Phase Shifter seconds before the blows rained down on him. The dark weapon hued stone like it was mud, but the Lord was left unscathed. The remaining Marines let loose a flurry of attacks but were also unable to hit the shifting Lord, nor wound the larger Destroyer Lord. In their haste to wipe out the Necron commanders, they left themselves open, and the Destroyer chopped one clean in half with its mighty staff of light. The other Lord had his sights set on the Lt. himself, and managed to wound him grievously.

Turn 4 Chaos:

As the smoke cleared on the Terminators, they turned the full might of their arsenal towards the Destroyers. Despite their hatred and determination, they only managed to damage one platform. The traitorous IG gave one last attempt of fire support before dropping their blast shields on the bunker. The sniper and missile rounds not only passed by the Warriors safely, but completely missed the Immortals that were behind them. The hulking Defiler, no longer worried about the Destroyers, turned its autocannon on the Immortal squad. Bullets ricocheted off the thick ceramic shoulder plates of the Immortals, doing little more than marring the surface. From the results of the other two squads, it surprised the Lord little that the Marines didn’t bother firing, they simply charged into the Warriors. Thunderous blows were struck back and forth, yet neither side was phased. It wasn’t until the might of a Powerfist was swung did the tide of the battle turn. The Lord willed his Warriors to stay and fight, but powerfist completely destroyed 3 of the Warriors. The remaining Warriors were now badly outnumbered. They tried to fall back and regroup, but the Marines were merciless in their pursuit. As they crushed the last Warrior beneath their boot heels, they charged head on into the Immortals.

The Lord’s attention was violently drawn back to his own combat as the Man Reaper connected. His shell was damaged but not pierced, yet the blow was jarring enough that his return swings were easily parried. The Destroyer Lord had done its best to draw the wrath of the rest of the squad, and their blows simply weren’t strong enough to damage the thick plates of the Destroyer platform. Green energy swept in arcs as the staff whistled through the air. The thick armor and corrupted hides of the Marines were no match for the ancient technology. Two more Marines were cut to ribbons, but the powerfist had hidden behind them. With an overhanded swing, the armor of the Destroyer Lord buckled beneath its might. Sparks flew from the crack, but the Lord seemed unphased.

Turn 4 Necron:

As the battle raged on, the damaged Destroyer righted itself, repairs already well underway. On the right side of the field, a second unit of Destroyers floated into range. Realizing that taking the fortifications was futile at this point, the Lord commanded the Destroyers to open fire on the two bunkers. If they could not take this foothold, he would make sure it would not be a launching point for future attacks against him. Both units opened fire, one on each bunker. At first they appeared they would hold as Gauss blasts disspated harmlessly off the outer walls. Eventually, the beams caused cracks to form until both structures were engulfed in green flame, crumbling to the ground around their inhabitants.

The remaining Necron units were all engaged in melees. The armor of the Necrons proved too much for the Plague Marines to penetrate. The Immortals did better than their Warrior brethren, decapitating one of the Marines before the Powerfist’s blows were struck. The Immortals lost 2 of their number to the crushing weapon, but they were not outnumbered as the Warriors had been. They held their ground.

Sensing victory, the Lt. whipped himself into a frenzy. The Man Reaper became a blur as 9 attacks were rained down on the Lord. Despite the ferocity of the attack, the Lord phased, blocked, and dodged all but one of the attacks. His chest was now a maze of wires and circuitry, totally exposed. The damage was not enough to stop his staff though, and the Lt. was cut down, empty armor falling to the ground where a Marine had once stood. The Destroyer Lord turned his attention to the Marine bearing the powerfist and lanced him through. As he threw the body off his weapon, he monitored as the final Marine landed a blow to the other Lord, severing his spinal column and splitting him in two. The second Lord quickly dispatched the last Marine. Unhooking the fallen Lord’s skull plate, it transfers all record of the battle data. Probability tables are accessed, past battles are cross referenced, and 500 scenarios are run in the blink of an eye. This area is useless to them now, and in another instant, all the Necrons disappear in a green energy cloud, retreating to affect repairs and mount a second assault.

After battle report:

If I had known I was playing a StrongPoint Assault, I don’t think I would have taken as many Destroyers, and I definitely wouldn’t have taken a D Lord. Starting the game -670 points hurt. That and the fact that one of the Destroyers didn’t come in until the final turn also hurt. I lost this battle, but it was by a pretty slim margin. 10% of the game total (1500=150 pts) would have been a tie. The difference in VP was just over 200.

I made 2 mistakes that I noticed. First was turning the Destroyers to the Terminators and not trying to finish off the Defiler. The second was sending my Lord up with the Warriors. I knew he wouldn’t be able to affect the first assault, but I thought between him and the Warriors I could wound more Marine, and then he was stuck there the rest of the game. Had I left him down and had the DLord engage the Lt and squad when he came on, I’d have been better off.

Otherwise it was a good game. I couldn’t have asked for better dice rolls from my opponent, as 85% of his shooting was ineffective. And the Scarabs paid for themselves in spades. 96 points took out the LR and also kept if from damaging any units. I was upset that they didn’t tie up the Marines, he got lucky on his Massacre roll and managed to make it back into his Rhino right after assaulting them (he needed a 6). I wasn’t expecting to hold him in combat or even wound him, I only wanted to make him waste a turn climbing back into the Rhino. The only other thing I was upset about was losing the walking Lord. I lost him to a normal attack, 3+ save failed. But ah well. Death Guard are very tough for Necrons, but I think in a different scenario I might have done better.

Currently, I was pushed back to my starting location, so next week will be a return to this location. Army and Scenario I face may be different. Also, a Tau contingent had popped up in a territory next to me, so they may need dealing with.

Until next week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x4)

And some more Campaign fluff....

In the cluttered ruin of a former Techpriest&#39;s offices, Dragan Volker absorbed information a thousand times faster than a normal human ever could. 10,000 years of battle had honed his senses, though most of his sensory organs had decomposed into effluent necrotic fluid. Pict screens flashed images of war, clear in the harsh morning light.

In the western testing grounds, the treacherous Emperor&#39;s Children legion had been turned back. The rebel PDF forces had fought and died, almost to a man. Khornate Daemons, summoned by the PDF commanders, roared as they slaughtered friend and enemy alike. Their job was done, and the fight over, so the bloodletters returned to the warp, or spread out among the city&#39;s ruins searching for skulls. Dragan Volker knew, that as night fell, the dead would rise in an inexorable zombie horde.

In the eastern testing grounds, the implacable Necrons were barely deflected. Fly-Eye, volker&#39;s vile Lieutenant, reported horrendous casualties. Volker exhorted him to hold the line, or be swatted. Still under 1,000 years old, fly-eye was impulsive and powerful. Perhaps he should be leashed to a less impulsive commander, Damien Rect.

The Imperial Guard moved cautiously toward the Basilica, having been accosted by thousands of zombies and daemons. After clearing the railhead, guardsmen found a working monorail, underground. This troubled Dragan Volker, because he knew where that railway terminated. Perhaps they made too much noise on their entrance to the Basilica&#39;s Nave, because the priests stayed below ground. Father Rung would need to be strongly convinced to trust anyone at this point.

The orks in the south cavorted among the city&#39;s heavy guns, discharging them just to hear the sound they made. Their mirth was undiminished as they blew themselves to pieces, triggering the Tech Priest&#39;s hidden traps.

The World Eaters could not hold back in their blood frenzy, moving against the Tau, claiming skulls. Their chanting indicated a great summoning was underway...

Meanwhile, the Tau explored the underground tunnels looking for a lost water caste envoy, broadcasting distress signals from the east, near the hab blocks.

The Tau in the west, near the business district, consolidated their position. They concerned Dragan Volker very little.

In the North West, Astartes forces moved onto Gibbet Hill. Volker knew they would not find the city&#39;s laser silos un-defended. Every marine that died served him, and on that hill, they would serve him well...

Deep beneath his boots, a vast cracking boom sounded. Reports started to filter in, they had cracked the first vault, but it was trapped, and many servitors had been vaporised. With eerie speed, volker turned and stalked to the pit. Someone would pay if the precious gene-seed was damaged, they would pay dearly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x4)

Next weeks fluff....

The huge halls of the Genetorium pulsed with power. In the middle of the power plant, a large green crystal was resonating. The vibrations started to gain speed, and a dull glow emerged in the air in front of it. Suddenly, a flash bathed the room in fire. Forms began to coalesce from the energy vortex, and soon the building was filled with Necrons. The Destroyer Lord materialized next to the remains of its fellow commander, the wounds caused by the devastating weapon of the Chaos Lt. already starting to knit.

The Arch Magos, in his thirst for power, and acquired a crystalline matrix from a long dead tomb world. Little did he know that using it as a harmonic coupling in his cities power core would alert nearby Necron fleets of his presence. Even as the current force began affecting repairs, fresh units began to gate in, refilling the ranks.

The Necrons, it appeared, were not the only ones to master death. The Destroyer Lord began receiving transmission from the Testing Grounds they had failed to capture. Some of the scarabs were barely functional and transmitting. They reported several of the fallen Chaos marines, as well as countless other bodies rose up from the ground, their shambling forms lurching towards the still burning shells of the bunker. Now was a prime moment for a second assault. The Lord hovered silently as it ran calculation. In an instant it was moving again. It took in its existing force, and calculated a 98.649% chance of victory.

Something suddenly loomed into the view of the scarab image transmission. The picture began breaking up, odd errors and strange signals logged in the Lord’s memory. A vast, corpulent being filled the entire field of view as it bent towards the bundle of badly damaged insects. Ichor and pus wept from wounds across the things entire body.

“We know where you are, little Necrontyr. Come out and ppplllllaaaaaaayyyyyy……..? The words echoed throughout the entire building, coming over every unit’s speakers. The transmission was cut off abruptly as a large, dripping hand closed over the pict recorder of the scarab. The Lord didn’t need to access data logs; he knew that was Daemon of Chaos. The probability of success would be affected…..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x4)

Week 2

Dawn Assault Necrons vs. Plague Zombie force.

10 man Warrior squad x 3
    5 man Destroyer squad
    6 man Scarab squad x 2
    8 man Immortal squad
    Lord w/ Res orb
    D-Lord with Warscythe and Phylactery

Vs.

Defiler
    Corrupted Leman Russ
    6 man Traitor IG squad w/ ML and Sniper
    15 man Zombie squad x 3
    Aspiring Champion w/Power Fist
    Aspiring Champion w/ Power sword and Demon Chains
    Greater Daemon of Nurgle
    10 Plague Bearers Demon pack.

The board was 6’x4’, with the defender deploying in the center in a 2’x3’box. It was 2’ from the west and east edge of the board, and 1’ from the south edge. There was a 3 level hill (terrain counted as size 1, 2, and 3) in the southeast corner of the deployment zone. The Guard deployed on the hill, with the Leman Russ next to them facing west. A unit of Zombies (A) were deployed along the north border above the hill. Zombie ( were placed in the extreme SE corner of the DZ, just forward of the hill. The Defiler sat behind them, facing east. The third Zombie&copy; unit was set in the SW corner. The rest of the board was set as follows: Along the western edge of the board was a hill in the NW corner, a rubble field just below that, and 2 more hills in the south. One in the SW corner, and one just outside of the SW corner of the defender’s DZ. In the east, there was an Oil storage tanker in the north, and a 2 level hill in the south. No other terrain.

As the attacker, I had to split my force and got first turn. 10 warriors, the Destroyers, the D-Lord, and 6 scarabs moved on from the eastern short table edge. The rest would come on in the next turn. Annihilation, VP, deep strike, divided forces, and first turn night fight were in effect.

Necron turn 1:
    The Necron’s second assault on the Testing Grounds began just before dawn the following day. A fully healed force marched across the open field towards the Nurgle forces. The Necrons split and moved on both flanks. The Destroyer force was the first to reach them. As the Destroyers and Lord flew into view of the shambling hordes, the Scarabs scuttled straight towards the large hill in the center of the field, covering ground at a blinding speed. Their target, the still damaged Russ from the day before, was smoldering in places. The quickly patched armor rattled as the wind whipped around it.
    The murky twilight of dawn had no effect on the Destroyers long range sensors. Gauss beams filled the night sky with a bright green hue. The beams cut through the Russ like it was made of paper, and the hastily repaired tank was felled again.

Chaos turn 1:
    The flames from the battle tank light the field, revealing the oncoming attackers. The IG on the hill trained their guns on the Destroyers below. Still reeling from the explosion next to them, all of their shots flew wildly. The Defiler trained its cannon on the nearby scarabs. The shell tore through the swarm, disabling the entire group. As supporting fire flew, the Zombies ( moved east, while the others (A, C) began marching west.

Necron turn 2:
    The Zombies must have sensed something, for as they were moving west, the rest of the Necron force came into view. 2 more Warrior squads, an Immortal force, a Warrior Lord, and yet more Scarabs came into view. The morning sun had chased away the last of the darkness. The only thing marring the sky now was the black smoke that billowed from the Russ. Like their brothers, the Scarabs shot out at a breakneck pace, burrowing safely behind a hill. One squad of Warriors moved through a rubble field, covering themselves from the Defilers cannon. The other squad walked fearlessly forward in the open. On the other side of the field, the Destroyers and Warriors moved in on the Zombies as the Lord climbed the hill to the IG force. Gauss again cut through the air. 8 of the Zombies were cut down, and the Destroyers sheer off the newly mutated cannon of the Defiler. The force of the blast is enough to knock the weapon systems offline. With everything going according to the projections of the Necron Lords, the Destroyer Lord moves in to join the IG in battle. Their blows were easily turned back by the thick armor of the Lord, but they were not so lucky. Thrumming with an ancient power, the warscythe cut through the air, decapitating two of the Guard with one swipe. The site was gruesome enough to shake even the Chaos tainted men’s resolve, and they threw themselves down the hill to get away from the metal monstrosity. With the Guard broken, the DLord turned and moved back to support his troops.

Chaos turn 2:
    With a sudden shock, both Lords sensors went wild. Readings had spiked on all levels. Just as suddenly as it happened, all sensors normalized. The DLord realized something was trying to materialize, but it was happening on the wrong side of the field. The DLord immediately signaled his co-commander. They zeroed in on the source of the disturbance. Long range view showed an Aspiring Champion in with a group of Zombies&copy;. As the watched, readings again flew off the scale. The Champion seemed wracked with pain as chains on his armor whipped at the air. The display was so engrossing that neither noticed the ten Plague Bearers rip open a zombie( from the inside and walk out of it on the eastern flank, near the Destroyer and Warrior squad. Sensing the Demonic presence, the IG stopped running and again turned to face the enemy. The Defiler began repairs on its targeting system and pulled back from the Demons. Another Aspiring Champion in the Zombie ( unit emerged and charged into the oncoming Warriors with the remaining Zombies. The Zombies and Warriors were evenly matched, as each side felled one from the other. The Champion swung his mighty powerfist and crushed a second Warrior. The nearby DLord compelled them to hold. At the same instant, the Plague Bearers lurched towards the awaiting Destroyers. One was dragged down as they clamored over each other, desperate to rip apart the flying platform. As none of the other Destroyers were close enough to attack back, they simply flew forward to join in the Melee.

Necron turn 3:
    As the Lords took in the battle, repairs began. The two fallen Warriors were too badly damaged and too far from the Resurrection Orb to stand again, but the ruined Destroyer rose from behind the demons and joined its unit. The battles raged on as the Warriors were able to rend 2 Zombies without taking any damage back. The powerfist again turned the tide and smashed 2 more to the ground. Behind them, the DLord joined the Destroyers against the demons. Two more Destroyers are dragged down by the chopping blows of the demons, but the fight is evened by the DLord and Destroyers crushing two of the demons, their corpses dissipating in a bilious green ichor. On the southern fringe of the field, the Scarabs emerged from their hiding spot behind the hill and assaulted into the unsuspecting Defiler as if finished its repairs. Huge claws pounded the ground as it tried to fend off the tide of scuttling insects, but even as it crushed a sixth of the pile, the rest swarmed over it, taking out weapons systems and mobility, until finally the Defiler lay dead.

Far from the blows of melee, the Warriors and Immortals drew their fire on the Zombies&copy;. Blast after blast tore limbs and torsos to sunder. After the Warriors mighty volley, only the Champion stood. With a rattle of its heavy chains, it cursed the metal men, even as Gauss blasts from the Immortals tore his head from his body. A strange thing happened next, and both Lords sensors again spiked, readings coming through as wildly as when they passed a warp storm in space. The Champions body did not fall, but rather the wounds pulled in on themselves. His body twisted and contorted as it was literally pulled inside out, over and over. Each time it was reversed, the body grew larger and more bloated. Finally, a deep booming laugh echoed across the carnage of battle, a Greater Daemon of Nurgle took full form.

Chaos turn 3:
    The Daemon called to its zombie children (A) as well as the traitor Guard squad. Both moved towards the Necrons in the West as the Daemon moved forward. Its mouth opened, and a vile stream of chaos energies belched forth at the Warriors in front of it. Four of the Warriors seized up where they stood. On the other side of the board, one of the Destroyers locked up as rust formed in its joints, causing it to crash to the ground. The demons giggled in glee at the sight of it. Sensing the power of the warscythe, the demons turned to face both the DLord and Destroyers. Splitting their attacks was their undoing, as none of their attacks did anything to the Necrons. The warscythe returned two more to the warp, as the Destroyers cut down a third. Beyond them, the Warriors and Zombies continued their struggle. If it were just the Zombies, the Warriors might have fared better, for they slew another without taking wounds back. A third time, the Might of the powerfist cut their numbers, this time by 3. Across the field, the Daemon crushed 3 Warriors in its pus filled hands. Being unable to damage it, the Warriors fell back, intent on firing into it. As the fled, the Daemon crawled into melee with the Lord and the last unit of Warriors.

Necron turn 4:

Even as wounded Warriors near the Daemon began to rise, the squad proved to be more grievously damaged than expected. The unit, falling back to take up firing positions, kept falling back, deaf to the commands of the Lord nearby. Across the plain, the rusting Destroyer continued to cake over until it was a mound of ferrous iron. The other two managed to right themselves and face off against the demons once more. The Immortals, the only Necrons not engaged, marched forward towards the IG and Zombies in the North. They did not reach a firing solution, and saved their Gauss charge.

Once again, the Warriors and Champion fight themselves to a stand still, one Zombie and one Warrior falling from their blows. Another standstill is fought by the Destroyers, and none of the combatants land any solid blows.

In the West, the Lord is joined by the rest of the final Warrior squad, though none of their blows do anything to the bloated hide of the Daemon. It, in return, on mashes one Warrior.

Chaos turn 4:
    Having moved into range of the IG sniper, an Immortal is blasted by the round. It fails to penetrate the living metal armor as a rocket sails harmlessly between the advancing Necrons. The Zombies trudge towards the emotionless machines, leaving a trail of rotten flesh behind them.

More of the corrosive gas bellows from the warp beings, but nothing succumbs to it. The Daemon, apparently off balance, failed to connect with the Warriors. Once again, the blows rained down by the Necrons proved ineffectual against the Daemon. In the East, the Champion annihilated the last two Warriors. With one Zombie left to his command, he turned toward the Destroyers, intent on supporting the demons. He watched as fruitless attacks were swung from both sides. Only the power of the warscythe was able to cut one down, its body disintegrating before it hit the ground.

Necron turn 5:
    With the Zombies now in range, the Immortals fired a full volley into their ranks. Of the 15, only 4 managed to avoid the incoming fire. Behind them, the Scarabs swarmed towards and engaged the Daemon. Their assault, while unable to wound the massive entity distracted it long enough for it to only kill one Warrior. The Warriors, also unable to wound the Daemon, caught its attention long enough for the Lord to thrust his Staff of Light into its side. The thrum of energy and the stench of cooking, putrid flesh filled the air.

Against the Plague Bearers, the Lord and Destroyers managed to send three more back to the warp. Their attacks fell weakly against the hovering platforms, and the final demon was crushed beneath overbearing assault of the Necrons. The DLord commanded his Destroyers up the hill, as he turned towards the lone Zombie and Champion.

Chaos turn 5:
    As the Zombies continued to move toward the Immortals, the Sniper felled one. The Missile Launcher and Las rifles were not as lucky, as the shots sailed wide. Another cloud poured from the Daemon, doing little more than coloring the surrounding units green. Warrior and Lord attacks glanced harmlessly off the creature as it smashed 3 more Warriors to the ground. Ignoring the Scarabs proved costly, as the multitude of bugs tore a large chunk from the great beast.

Across the board, the Champion powered up his fist. His arm swung with power and purpose, even though his head had been severed by the DLord and his target had long since flown away.

Necron turn 6:
    As the IG reloaded the launcher and prepared for another volley against the Immortals, the Destroyers crested the hill. There was no time for the Guard to even react as their bodies were flayed in green balefire. The remaining zombies suffered a similar fate as the Immortals moved forward and fired full blast into them.

Against the Daemon, none of the Necron attacks pierced the skin of Nurgle’s Child. As it flattened yet another Warrior beneath its mighty paw, the Lord drew back. Laughter filled its audio sensors, and tremors shook its gears and circuits.

Chaos turn 6:
    Sensing that it was alone on the field of battle, the Daemon started to chuckle. Corrosive gas poured from the two wounds it had taken, rust turning a pile of the Scarabs into one lump of metal. It swung wildly, gleefully laughing as it did so. Two of its blows smashed the Warriors, but they were to wild to do any damage. Audio sensors on all the Necrons spring to life as the Scarabs open a third gash in the warp spawn. “Master calling, Master calling. Wants you all to play. Calls to court all Necrontyr who want to dance Todddaaaayyyy…….? The transmission turned to static as the Daemon disappeared from view. The meaning of the transmission was unknown, but both Lords logged the record, it would be analyzed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x4)

Campaign fluff, Week 3:

Sniper’s Alley North:

Dragan Volker had chosen him. Aspirants fought, and died, 324 by his count, trying to be where he is today. One shot, one kill. He was known only to a select few, as Agent Mensk. A rare cold killer who slept with his sniper rifle, if indeed he slept at all. Presently, he had been motionless for the past 23.5 hours. His arch-nemesis was out there, the last shot he took almost took him right in his gun sight, almost. The assassin he faced was good. They battled for days now, without rest, sometimes not shooting for hours.

Mensk detected movement to his left. Clumsy and blundering compared to his adversary, who was almost always completely invisible. A small xenos in elegant red armor. If he took the shot, he might reveal his position to his arch nemesis, but it was hard to resist that moment, the gentle pressure of the trigger, and the terror.

A small com-bead in his ear began to chatter, he sub-vocalized his response. It appeared these Tau were running in the streets like rats, and Mensk was to help exterminate them. His duel with his counterpart would have to wait. Mensk retreated into the shadows to rendesvous with Damien Sax, lieutenant of Dragan Volker.

Sniper&#39;s Alley South:

Guard Tanks rumbled into Chastity street, ceaslessly tracking for movement. Father Rung&#39;s remote intel suggested a thick orkish prescence. Commander McLean stared into the quiet streets, thankful to the Emperor that the Basilica&#39;s caretaker finally de-activated his servitors and came out of his cloister.

A howl from his left as Orks began moving out from a ruined hab. McLean said a final prayer for the guardsmen in their path. As he watched, the lead power claw armed ork disintegrated from the shoulders up. His men had not yet fired. "What the Frag was that, who fired?" Noone replied. The comms officer next to Sergeant Adams began staggering about, blood pumping from a tear in his throat. "Cover&#33;", someone yelled, "Sniper&#33;" someone screamed.

Mclean knew this would be a long ride...

Testing Grounds West:

The Emperors Children had taken this scorched earth, but it was not their ultimate destination. They reinforced and quickly moved into the theater district.

Za&#39;ar, Emperor&#39;s Legionnaire, stepped into the theater house, and into the stench of death. Za&#39;ar breathed deeply, relishing in the nauseating stench. Corpses were strewn about like broken dolls. Za&#39;ar dragged a slave-woman with him who was whimpering in terror. He tasted her pain like a fine wine. It would be some time until she was used up.

Suddenly, looking down, Za&#39;ar noticed, that, strangely, seven inches of glowing steel protruded from his chest plate...

Testing Gounds East:

The Necron Lord methodically scanned the Horizon, seeking the source of the power spikes that were setting off warning runes in his heads up display. Obviously, nothing stirred among the ruins of the battlefield, the Necrons were victorious this time. Switching to thermal sensor readings, a building in the distance glowed red hot. Something there was stirring, and moving this way...

The Adeptus Arbites opened fire on the unearthly floating tanks of the encroaching Tau. This bastion had held through seven wars, and would hold now...

Gibbett Hill:

"Lord Volker, the line has held." Sergeant Hiel voxed into his integral Comm-Bead. Hiel led a small mercenary force against the Salamanders legion. He had lost fully half of his troopers, but local cults reinforced his line, and sold their lives dearly. They barely held the heavy laser silos.

Hiel&#39;s comm-bead clicked three times, indicating he should hold, and wait...

Western Rim:

Lightly armored trooper moved quickly and silently into the rubble of a ruined hab. Who they were, or what they wanted, is yet unknown...

I&#39;ll try to scan in the map tonight so you guys have an idea of who is moving where in the city.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast