Battle For Alexandria, Part 2 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here it is! The Battle for Alexandria, Part 2!

BATTLE FOR ALEXANDRIA, PART 2

(Ultramarines vs. Orks, 1500 points, Meatgrinder)

Background: The story so far – the Ultramarines and the Orks of Da Krazy Klaw Klan are locked in a struggle for control of the planet Alexandria, a struggle that could quite possibly determine the fate of Ultramar and Macragge itself. In the previous battle, Chaplain D’Annzio’s planetfall assault failed miserably. His fellow commander, Chaplain Onoria, immediately teleported down another force of Marines. They managed to drive the Orks back, rescue D’Annzio and repair their damaged vehicles. But then the Orks struck again, driving the Ultramarines to a death-trap in an underground cavern.

“It’s now or neva! Krush dem! Krush dem all for Gork and Mork!� were the words Badklaw roared to his boyz as they swarmed into the cavern.

The Armies
    Attackers: Orks, as played by Ascension
    -Waaaghboss Badklaw, a very souped-up Boss with a Big Shoota and a Powa Klaw
    -19-strong Slugga Boyz Mob with 3 Burnaz, 1 Nob
    -19-strong Slugga Boyz Mob with 3 Burnaz, 1 Nob
    -17-strong Shoota Boyz Mob with 3 Rokkit Launchaz
    -7-strong Tankbusta Boyz Mob with 3 Rokkit Launchaz
    -3 Warbuggies armed with Rokkit Launchaz
    -10-strong Trukk Boyz Mob, 1 Burna and 1 Nob
    -10-strong Trukk Boyz Mob, 1 Burna and 1 Nob
    -Looted Leman Russ Battle Tank
    -3 Killa Kanz

Defenders: Ultramarines, as played by Onoria
    -Chaplain D’Annzio, Master of Sanctity with Terminator armour, bionics and Storm Bolter
    -7-stong Terminator Squad with 2 Heavy Flamers
    -7-strong Tactical Squad, Sergeant with Power weapon and Terminator honours
    -Honour Guard, attached to the Tactical Squad
    -Scout Squad, 4 Snipers and 1 Heavy Bolter
    -5-strong Bike squad, 2 meltaguns
    -Land Raider with extra armour
    -Land Raider Crusader
    -Whirlwind loaded with Castellan Missiles

Same army lists, different scenario. This time, Onoria would start with his entire force – and they wouldn’t be in easy charging distance in Turn 1 like last time – which means that all those nasty guns would be pointing at me. Ulp.

The board
    Identical to the board used in the last battle, but with a change of terrain. There were ice stalagmites scattered around over the board, with a concentrated cluster in the centre. There was also a row of three solid ice pillars in the south, just in front of the Ultramarines’ deployment zone. The hill from the previous battle was put in the centre east and a large ravine in the centre west.

Deployment
    The Orks deployed their ’Ard stuff in the far north, behind a solid wall of Boyz. The Shoota Boyz were put in the middle, where they could quickly reach the cover of the icicle cluster. Both Trukks were put on the western edge. Ascension hoped they could zoom up around the lake and tackle some Marine-boyz in the first few turns, giving the Slugga Boyz and Badklaw enough time to make it over the hill on foot.

The Ultramarines also deployed their heavy support behind a wall of men. The Whirlwind was right on the southern board edge, covered by the Land Raider, which was in turn covered by the Terminators and Chaplain D’Annzio. The Land Raider Crusader was in the west, protected by the Tactical Squad. The Scout Squad was between the two Land Raiders. The Bikes were on the eastern edge.

Turn 1
    Ascension won the roll-off, giving the Orks the first move.

Orks
    “WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!� shouted the Orks while running top speed at the Marines, all trying to get into combat first. The Trukk Boyz zoomed halfway across the board, onto either side of the ravine. The Warbuggies followed closely, stopping in front of the ravine. They then fired a salvo of rokkitz at the Scouts, killing one of them. The Boyz in the looted Leman Russ fired the Battle Cannon at the same Scouts, but the shot missed widely and landed on the Tactical Squad instead. 3 Marines were killed. Every other Ork in shooting range blazed away, but being Orks, none of the shots actually hit anything.

Ultramarines
    The Ultramarines calmly directed a hail of return fire at the Orks. One of the Trukks was destroyed under Multi-Melta and Assault Cannon fire from the Crusader. As the Orks bailed out, 6 were cut down by Boltgun shots. The Terminators fired their Storm Bolters at the other Trukk, destroying it as well. The Land Raider’s weapons batteries took out 4 of the Boyz jumping out of that Trukk, and 2 more Boyz fell to the Scout’s sniper rifles. At this point, the Trukk Boyz suddenly realised how thin their numbers were getting and ran back towards the main horde.

The Whirlwind fired its Castellan missiles, laying a minefield right in front of the advancing Slugga Boyz in an attempt to stop them. At the same time, the Bikes tore up the eastern side of the board, killing 7 Slugga Boyz with rapid-fired Boltguns.

Summary
    The Ultramarines lost 3 Marines and a Scout; The Orks lost both Trukks, 12 Trukk Boyz and 7 Slugga Boyz. Plus there was a minefield blocking the way to the Marine-boyz with no Grotz to clear it. Well! Certainly not the same as what happened in Turn 1 of the last battle.

Turn 2
    Orks
    The Warbuggies zoomed down south and Tank-Shocked the Scouts. In a moment of insane heroism, the one with the Heavy Bolter stood his ground and blazed away at the incoming vehicles. His shots bounced harmlessly off the side of a Buggy and he was squashed flat. On the other side of the board, Badklaw led one of the Slugga Boy mobz right through the minefield. Gork (or Mork) was smiling on them and no mines were triggered. The other Slugga Boyz stuck to the eastern board edge, taking cover behind the hill. The Trukk Boyz reached the Tankbusta Boyz and they successfully mobbed up.

In the shooting phase, Badklaw was able to get nearly the entire Ork army to calm down and shoot at the Bikes. An awesome storm of metal slugs and rokkitz pelted the ground where the Bikes were, the explosions whipping up a large cloud of dust. When it cleared, all that was left on the ground was a pile of scrap metal. The only ones who were not shooting at the Bikes were the Orks in the Leman Russ. They found the Scouts too tempting a target and blasted a large Battle Cannon shell at them. The shot missed wildly, landing on the Tactical Squad instead and wiping out all the power-armoured Marines!

Sadly, nothing could be done in the Assault Phase. Time to endure another round of Space Marine firepower.

Ultramarines
    Both Land Raiders targeted the Warbuggies with their weapons systems. Under a hail of laser beams, exploding Bolter shells, Assault Cannon bullets and Multi-Melta rays, two Buggies detonated into fiery blossoms. 6 Terminators and 3 Scouts were caught in the explosions, but none of them were killed. Chaplain D’Annzio then ordered them to fire at the last remaining Warbuggy, but apart from scratching the paintjob, the shots did nothing. The Whirlwind tried to lay a minefield near the Slugga Boyz behind the hill, but the Castellan missiles scattered right off the board.

Summary
    The Orks lost two Warbuggies but nothing else; The Ultramarines lost a Scout, all 5 Bikes and the last 4 Marines left in the Tactical Squad.

Turn 3
    Orks
    The Warbuggy driver veered his vehicle around and Tank-Shocked the Scouts again. All but one of the Scouts got out of the way. The last one tried to shoot his Sniper Rifle at the Buggy’s tyres, but he was crushed before he could pull the trigger. And all the while, the footslogging Orks were closing in for the kill…

Badklaw raised his Bosspole high, ordering everyone to shoot at the Terminators. This time, even the Lootas in the Leman Russ obeyed. However, they pressed a wrong button by mistake and the tank lurched forward 4�. The Slugga Boyz’ shots bounced harmlessly off the sturdy Terminator armour. The Shoota Boyz had more luck and were able to kill 3 Terminators. But the luckiest one had to be Badklaw, who managed to kill 2 more Terminators with his Big Shoota – not bad for an Ork!

Once again, none of the Orks were close enough to charge. More Bolter badness then…

Ultramarines
    Both Land Raiders moved 6� up. The Land Raider Phobos fired at the Killa Kanz, but in a very embarrassing moment, all its TWIN-LINKED weapon batteries missed. The Crusader noticed the combined Trukk Boy and Tankbusta Boy mob sneaking towards it and unleashed a torrent of firepower on them. All the Trukk Boyz were killed, as well as 2 Tankbustas. Though the casualties were high, the remaining Tankbustas stood their ground, confident that there were enough of them left to take on the Crusader.

Chaplain D’Annzio and the last two Terminators fired two Heavy Flamers and a Storm Bolter at the Slugga Boyz, cutting them down like a scythe reaping corn. When the shooting ended, only 2 Slugga Boyz were left standing. (Ouch&#33 They would have run, but the sight of Badklaw standing unscathed, sticking up a green middle digit at D’Annzio inspired them to stand and continue the advance with their Boss.

The Whirlwind laid a minefield right in front of the Land Raider Phobos to prevent anyone from getting near. The Scouts fired at the Warbuggy. One of the sniper shots ripped off its rokkit launcha, which bonked the driver over the head and knocked him unconscious.

Summary
    The Orks took a pretty gruesome amount of damage. 4 Trukk Boyz, 2 Tankbusta Boyz and 17 Slugga Boyz. (Hate Heavy Flamers.) Fortunately, they all managed to pass their leadership checks. The Ultramarines took quite a beating as well, losing 1 Scout and 5 Terminators.

Turn 4
    Orks
    The Tankbustas moved into charging range of the Land Raider Crusader, readying their Tankbusta Bombz. The Slugga Boyz mob that was hiding behind the hill moved out, circling behind the Terminators to cut off their escape route, and the Killa Kanz clanked past the ravine towards the Land Raider Phobos. All the Orks blazed away, but the thought of entering close combat soon worsened their already-bad aim. Only a few shots actually hit something, and none of those did any damage. Well, not quite true. The Orks in the Leman Russ firing at the Land Raider had their shot scattered all the way back, destroying the Whirlwind.

Finally, some Assault Phase action! The Tankbustas rushed at the Crusader and blew it to smithereens with their Bombz. They managed to throw themselves flat on the ground at the last moment so although all of them were caught in the explosion, none of them died. The Killa Kanz stormed over the minefield to the other Land Raider, their armour protecting them from the mines they stepped on. As with last time, the Kanz were able to knock off the Land Raider’s tracks, immobilising it.

All the Slugga Boyz and their Warboss charged Chaplain D’Annzio and the Terminators, surrounding them in a ‘pincer’ assault. The two Terminators were sliced into confetti by Choppas before they had a chance to strike. D’Annzio went for Badklaw himself but was unable to wound the thick-skinned Ork. Badklaw struck back with his signature Powa Klaw, pounding the Chaplain into a flat, lifeless disc on the ground. The victorious Boyz and Badklaw consolidated towards the Land Raider.

Ultramarines
    The Scouts fired at the Warbuggy once more, but were unable to do anything to it. The noise of the sniper rifles firing woke the driver up and he revved up the Buggy, ready to go again. The Land Raider fired at point-blank range at the Killa Kanz, destroying one of them.

Summary
    The Orks lost only one Killa Kan. As for the Ultramarines, only the Land Raider and 2 Scouts were left.

Turn 5
    The Buggy Tank-Shocked the Scouts yet again, running over one more. The last Scout ran for it, but was killed by a rokkit fired by the Shoota Boyz. Badklaw charged the Land Raider and, like in the last battle, destroyed it with a swing of his Powa Klaw.

Victory to the Orks!

Aftermath
    The majority of the Ultramarines’ force had been destroyed, but the Orks’ victory was not yet secure. Chaplain Onoria himself had teleported onto the planet, on another continent, where he was building a large fortress for the remaining Ultramarines to fortify themselves. While the fortress was being built, Onoria and his Techmarines started setting up a communications tower to call in reinforcements, or even an Exterminatus if necessary. Though they chose a location where there were relatively few Orks, their activities were spotted by a band of Kommandos, who immediately reported to Badklaw. The Warlord gathered up a massive horde and loaded them up into rickety ‘Sea-Trukks’. They would cross the ocean, break down the beakies’ walls and crush them in one fell swoop!

Conclusion
    I was expecting to have to count on lucky Random Game Length rolls to see me through, but it turned out that there was no need to. I had won by Turn 5, and I didn’t even get to use the Sustained Attack rule! This really moved the Orks up a few notches in my book. However, this battle also made me witness exactly how bad Ork armour is, especially against flamers. Thank goodness the Trukks and Buggies managed to distract the Marines so that they weren’t shooting at my Boyz in Turn 1! If I had no fast attack, I daresay my army would have been wiped out before I ever got there.

Lesson of the battle: Quoting Warlord Skarmork, “Dey got ded big shooty gunz dat’ll kill tonz o’ boyz, but if yer can get near ’em den you’ve got a chance.�

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>[Subliminal message] I AM KING [/Subliminal message]</span>

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey another good battle report Ascension. Im just curious as to why the ultramarines force has TWO landraiders, is this for fluff reasons? Surely that 520 pts could have been much better spent. This force is significantly low on numbers. Wouldnt 2 tactical squads and a devastator squad be more fitting for such an opponent?
    Any wouldnt the whirlwind be more effective and more damaging if it had used the vengence missiles instead?
    The Holy Bolter

998. model bolter: Godwyn pattern with ammo counter, sinister/dexter lock mechanism and sickle magazine with 30 rounds of .75 calibre bolts with diamantine tips, depleted deuterium core &amp; mass reactive detonators. Fires in 4 round bursts.

&quot;A bolter is a treasured weapon; but in the hands of a Space Marine it is a divine instrument of the Emperor&#39;s wrath&quot;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don&#39;t ask me. That army list isn&#39;t mine. The guy&#39;s always used at least one Land Raider in every game I&#39;ve ever played with him. Even in 500 point games. :blink:
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>[Subliminal message] I AM KING [/Subliminal message]</span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont get it how can some one who is sing so much power in there army loose...i mean 2 land raiders and he is using bikes when instad he could use more marines...i dont get it...is he gonna change his army or what?
    P.S. Blood angels rule, the anger lets us ignore wounds ...hehehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Another win for the orks&#33;&#33; (Y) (Y) I&#39;ve been loseing my last few battles so your reports are inspireing Boss Gathrog to get his boyz in line&#33; The main reason for your easy wins is the marine player&#39;s list is horrible. You NEVER use terminators against orks, and 2 landraiders is def. overdueing it. I mean he might as well collect a Deathwing army if he likes useing termies and radiers soo much.
    What is dis signature nonsence?! dem stupid human zoggers are always trien to confuze us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A very fun read. You mix narrative and game results very well. I&#39;m eager for the next batrep.

PS: Og "Da Boss" Grotstompa is again thinning out his Grot mob in celebration of your great victory.
    Purge all the heretics,
    Kill the alien scum,
    Suffer not the unclean to live,
    And have a beer when you&#39;re done.

+ Reply to Thread