Ultramarines Vs New Edition Tyranids [1000pts] - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ultramarines Vs New Edition Tyranids [1000pts]

Ultramarines 3rd Company Vs New Tyranids [1000pts]

After a couple of losses, today I had another win against a GW staff member. With the new release of the Tyranids we decided it would be prefect to have them verse their favourite enemy, the Ultramarines. This is the battle report.

Army Lists

Space Marines
    Chaplain
    5 basic DW with 1 HB
    Dreadnought
    6 marines with power weapon and PG (combat squad)
    6 marines with ML (shooty squad)
    8 devastator marines with 2 HB and 2 ML
    1 Land speed Tornado (LST)
    996pts

Tyranids
    Hive Tyrant (2+ save and a psychic power)
    2 x 3 Warriors (Some venom cannons and some rending claws)
    3 Zoanthropes (the psychic Tyranids)
    Brood of Hormagaunts (Str 4)
    2 x Brood of Termagaunts (without number)
    4 Ripper swarms
    1003pts

Before you rip into his list, know that this was the store display army and that we made this list right before the game.

Rules
    Take and Hold (5 Tokens spread around the table)
    Turn 1 would be night fight
    Rolled a six so that meant my Chaplain, the assault squad, Dreadnought and LST would be in reserve

Terrain was preset with some nice cover on my side of the table and a central piece, which was difficult terrain that he could use as cover for his advance.

I deployed my marines on the left side of the table close to three tokens. The devastators took cover as usual in some rocks with good fire lanes. The rest of the marines deployed to their right. The Tyranids deployed on the opposite side in a bunched mass. It seemed from the start that he was keen to head straight for my lines and ignore the objectives.

We rolled the dice and the mighty space marines would take first turn.

Turn 1 Space Marines
    Move: No Movement
    Shoot: Due to night fight for this turn, I was out of range for everything.
    Assault: None
    Turn 1 Tyranids
    Move: Nothing surprising, full advance. Some pretty good FoC meant that he was not pretty close to my lines with his Hormagaunts. The Termagaunts and 1 Zoanthrope advanced through the central terrain piece with the second brood advancing next to the terrain on my left flank with one warrior brood and the rippers supporting them. In the centre his huge tyrant, the other warrior brood and 2 Zoanthropes advanced, only a turn or 2 behind the Hormagaunts.
    Shoot: No effect

Turn 2 Space Marines
    Move: Everything arrived except the assault squad. The chaplain, now alone, linked up with the close combat tactical squad. The DW moved forward to get their HB in range of the Hormagaunts. I moved the Dreadnought and LST from the left flank.
    Shooting: Dreadnought killed one ripper base with its assault cannon. LST managed 1 wound on the warriors’ brood. The Hormagaunts in the centre took a beating suffering several losses due to combined firepower from the SMs.

Turn 2 Tyranids
    Move: Once again everything moved up.
    Shooting: Since I deployed my DW in a spread formation, the 2 Zoanthropes were only able to kill 2 DW marines. Another marine was lost from the shooty tactical squad in the centre.
    Assault: His Hormagaunts were presented with three juicy targets, the shooty squad, the close combat squad with Chaplain and the 3 remaining DW. He chose to assault the shooty squad and proceeded to kill the entire squad with a couple losses in return. For their consolidation move he rolled a three and were unable to move into the devastators only four inches away (thank the emperor).

Turn 3 Space Marines
    Move: The Assault squad made it on the table and moved in position to assault the Hormagaunts. The Chaplain detached himself from the close combat squad and linked up with his assault squad. The Dreadnought took a couple steps forward and the LST continued up the flank of the table.
    Shoot: The Dreadnought opened up on the ripper swarms and finally managed to wipe them out. The LST killed the remaining termagaunts. The devastator proved our deadly they were and killed two of the now dangerously close warriors. The combined fire from the other units caused the Hormagaunts to flee.
    Assault: None (or I cant remember)

Turn 3 Tyranids
    Move: The fleeing Hormagaunts would be a pest again as they moved forward once again. The rest of the Tyranids moved forward. The Zoanthropes moved around.
    Shoot: Another DW marine was fried. Lucky for me the GW staff member could not wound anything. The termagaunts managed to kill one of the combat squad.
    Assault: In a deadly display of combat the close combat squad with a power weapon sergeant managed to best the Hormagaunts and dusted them off.

Forces Update
    SM
    Chaplain, Assault Squad, 2 DW, 2 marines from close combat squad, devastators, Dreadnought, LST
    Tyranids
    Hive Tyrant, 1 Warrior, 3 Warriors, a small brood of Termagaunts and 3 Zoanthropes

Turn 4 Space Marines
    Move: The LST moved its full 12 inches. The Dreadnought took a couple steps forward. The assault squad and chaplain were tired of not doing anything and made a full 12-inch move to surround the Hive Tyrant. The 2 marines from the close combat squad decided that they had enough of the pesky Zoanthropes and engaged one. The DW having lost three of their number to the Zoanthropes also moved into close combat against the other one.
    Shoot: Having decimated one brood of warriors, the devastators brought their firepower on the remaining untouched brood and killed two and wounded the other. The pistols from the assault squad did nothing against Hive Tyrant. The LST managed to go overboard and poured all its firepower into the remaining warrior killing it with ease.
    Assault: The 2 combat marines wounded the Zoanthrope. The DW revenged their fallen brethren and also wounded the Zoanthrope. But the battle of the day and very much the turning point of the game would take place between the Hive Tyrant and the courageous and some might say suicidal attacks from the Chaplain and Assault Marines. The Hive Tyrant and Chaplain struck simultaneously. The Hive Tyrant brought down three of the assault squad whilst the Chaplain wounded but failed to deal any damage in return. All seemed lost but it was the powerfist wielding sergeant that ensured honour was restored dealing a significant three wounds to the Tyrant. Combat was locked.

Turn 4 Tyranids
    Move: with almost everything locked in combat there was very little movement. The termagaunts were recycled back onto the table. The Zoanthrope moved from out of the jungle. The remaining wounded warrior charged the chaplain.
    Shoot: Having failed to damage the dreadnought for several turns, the Zoanthrope was able to get a weapon destroyed and managed to stun (???) the dreadnought. It would not be able to move or shoot for one turn. The devestators fired and killed the remaining termagaunts.
    Assault: The minor battle between the 2 marines and 2 DW against the 2 Zoanthrope was deadlocked. Once again all eyes turned to the battle at the centre of the table.
    In a poor display of fighting the Hive Tyrant killed only 1 assault marine whilst for the second turn in a row, the chaplain failed to hit home with its attacks. Once again it was up to the humble sergeant and his trusty powerfist and he successfully hit home and wound with his attacks killing the Hive Tyrant. Still the pair of marines were locked in combat against the warrior, which had failed its attacks.

Turn 5 Space Marines
    Move: The LST moved 12 inches and prepared to take down the Zoanthrope.
    Shoot: The LST inflicted a single wound on the Zoanthrope and the devastators finished it off easily.
    Assault: The wounded warrior was easily outmatched and was cut down

Turn 5 Tyranids
    Move: The second squad of termagaunts moved back onto the table. The other termagaunts moved forward.
    Shoot: Having finished off the lone warrior on the previous turn, the chaplain and assault marine sergeant were unable to consolidate away from the termagaunts fire range. Unfortunately they were shot down and killed before they could fly away, a disappointing way for them to die. The termagaunts had an opportunity to bring down the LST with its rear armour exposed but were unable to do so.

Turn 6 Space Marines
    Move: The LST moved as far as it could and still remain within 6 inches of the closest token counter. The Dreadnought moved forward solidifying its position on a token.
    Shoot: Despite being a full brood, the termagaunts that had just appeared were cut down completely bar one. The 2 marines and 2 DW opened fire on the termagaunts killing enough and causing them to flee.

With the enemy almost completely destroyed, the game had ended with a significant victory to the ultramarines.

Hope you guys enjoy the read because it took me a fair while to write up and to remember what happened each turn. Next battle, against another GW staff’s White Scars. If I have enough time I will write that battle up to. Thanks for reading

Ultramarines Second Company

W/L/D

1/2/0

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Member Grand Master Saiyan Sanguine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha wicked. Honor is due for wiping out tyranid scum. All in all, a very well written report, kept my attention and it seemed as if i was watching the battle. And a nice touch with the 'forces update', well done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent work! Shows that the nids aren't as masterful as GW makes them out to be.
    Apathy is the greatest enemy of all.

=0_o=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

huh...

Good job on your victory SouthernEagle.

I like to see the one thing that slaughters Necrons, quick, being destroyed...(even though I used to play them).

Can't say I like the marines too much either...

Anyway, the battle report was neat and well written. It made it easier to read. I liked it. I am looking forward to another battle report from you.
    Anything that has been said above must be immediately

disregarded, as the high level of stupidity contained in every

word may cause you to drool on your computer thus causing

your own demise...

you know water+electricity= dead...-ness. :mellow:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox
    Excellent work! Shows that the nids aren't as masterful as GW makes them out to be.
    The problem is that the way GW make the fluff a war bbetween SM, IG and nids aren´t like a battle report. Nids are always more that humans and think that a SM chpater are only 1000 SM and a tnid fllet is really big

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vmgf1979
    The problem is that the way GW make the fluff a war bbetween SM, IG and nids aren´t like a battle report. Nids are always more that humans and think that a SM chpater are only 1000 SM and a tnid fllet is really big
    What the heck did you just say?

Record as of 26 December for my Static Tau Cadre.
    10 wins, 0 losses, and 1 draw.
    Last game: Victory over Necron in a 600 point "kill em all" that lasted til turn 10 ending with a phase out.

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

He said that for every marine there's roughly 50 carnifexes and a million gaunts. Pretty much.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nids army book makes them sound really good, Space Marines army book makes them sound really good, ect. Also if GW made Nids sound really bad nobody would buy them.
    What would you do if a Carnifex "meow'ed" at you.

Some pictures of my models

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

Point taken. But it still sounds like Nids outnumber everything except maybe orcs by over 1000 to one.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesnt it say that nobody really knows how many Fleets there are out there?

So intheory there could only be like 1 more and that'd be abit of an anti-climax. But then on the other hand there could be hundreds or even thousands in various galaxies.

Really all the fleets are all off 'doing their own thing'. All Consuming etc So they dont really care if they loose a fleet here or there (it prob happens all the time) but i'm sure if these insects really pee'd the Hive Mind off one day, it could move say 10, 20 fleets into this little corner of the universe then life as we know it would have a 'REALLY bad day'.

Its the same with all the races really. Our little corner is so large that the little battles etc dont really bother anybody too much. There are no more great crusades or quests to exterminate a race everybody just kinda gets on with their own thing. Its just Tyranids have the potential to do more damage than most.

(obviously Chaos are the exception but they cant really purge them)
    "They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind, scratching, screaming, running, so many - so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh, body and soul!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast