Death Guard Vs. Tyranids 3000 pts. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Dancing Peanuts? You bet! Robizzle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x4)

Death Guard Vs. Tyranids 3000 pts.

Me and a friend had been planning this game for a while now, and seeing as there wasnt many people at Vets night, we decided to get going in a game.

DEATH GUARD:

Lord, Termies armour, D. Essence, Strength, Mutation, Visage, Manreaper, Nurgles Rot, Mark of Nurgle (MON) Spiky Bits

Chosen Retinue
    10 Chosen Terminators, MON, Power Fists, 2 Reaper Assault cannons, 1 Asp. Champion, Plague Sword, D. mutation, strength, Plague Banner, Nurgles Rot

Lieutenant, D. Aura, Strength, Plague sword, Nurgles Rot, MON.

Chosen Retinue
    6 Chosen, 2 plasma guns, all CCW+bolt pistols, Asp. Champion w/ D. Mutation, Power fist, Plague banner, Nurgles Rot

Possessed Squad
    7 Possessed w/ Daemonic Talons, Asp. Champion w/ Plague sword

Squad 1
    7 Death Guard, Asp. champ w/ Nurgles Rot, D. Strength, Mutation, Plague Sword

Squads 2+3
    7 Death Guard, ASp Champ w/ Nurgles Rot, D. mutation, power fist

Squads 4+5
    7 Death Guard, Asp champ w/ Nurgles rot, D/ strength, lightning claw

6 Nugling bases

Dreadnought
    Twin-linked Lascannon, Mutated Hull, Daemonic possession

Dreadnought (same as above)

Predator
    Twin Las, Las sponsons, Mutated Hull, daemonic possession

TYRANIDS:

Hive Tyrant
    Wings, Warp Field, full statline, Venom Cannon, Sything talons

Hive Tyrant
    2 Scything talons, full statline except I adrenal glands

Tyranid Warroirs
    3 Warriors with Leaping, Scything talons, Rending claws

3 Lictors

32 Hormagaunts, Toxin sacs, adrenal glands (WS+I)

32 Hormagaunts, Toxin sacs, adrenal glands (WS)

12 Genestealers, extended carapace

6 Raveners, Scything talons + rending claws, thorax mounted devourer

Carnifex, Full statline, all upgrades except Regenerate, Scythed Tail, 2x scything talons

Carnifex, Full statline, all upgrades except Regenerate, Scythed Tail, 2x Scything talons

SET UP:

The Terminators deployed in a graveyard relatively near the centre of their deployment zone. The 4 squads of Genestealers opposed them. a squad to their left, the chosen to their left, accompanied by a Dreadnought and another squad, with the Nurglings out in front. Across to the right flank, the other Dreadnought and predator, along with the possessed and 2 squads of Death guard faced off against a Brood of gaunts, the Carnifexes and the Winged Hive Tyrant. The extra brood of Gaunts was placed in the middle to tie deployment up.

TURN 1:
    TYRANIDS:
    After Tyranids get first turn, everything charges forward, and the fleet of foot roles meant all the gaunts would be in combat next turn. The genestealers would most likely be in. Unless they were dead, of course. The Winged Hive Tyrant took a pot-shot at the Predator, but the hull just wobbled a bit as the shards ricocheted off.

DEATH GUARD:
    The Movement, under the watchfull eye of Ebolus, the Nurglings charged forward, laughing gleefully at the oncoming onslught of 48 Genestealers. 1 Brood was completely Annihalated by the obscene amount of fire coming from the Terminators. The hive tyrant had a deep wound dug out of it by a Lascannon, and 2 more by Plasma Guns. A good Start. The predator trained its sights on the Hive Tyrant, and fired. 2 Lascannons hit home, and the Tyrant went reeling. The dreadnought added its firepower and blew another hole in its ample frame. Boltfire from seperate squads accounted for a few more Genestealers and some Gaunts. The nurglings, who seem rather insane, flung themselves and a brood of Genestealers, and after losing 2 of their bases, strike back and pull down 5.

TURN 2
    TYRANIDS:
    After failing all his reserves rolls for everything (including the re-roll from Pheramone trail)
    Everything lumbered forward, And it looked like everything bar the Winged Hive Tyrant, (due to some rather cautious movement) and Carifexes would be in. The winged Hive Tyrant took a pot shot at the Dreadnought, but nothing happened. Then, everyone piled in. 32 Gaunts slammed into the squad between the two flanks, and ripped them all apart in a gigantic flurry of jagged claws, sharp teeth, and some sansationally bad 3+ saves. Next to them, the chosen were all but destroyed by the other brood of gaunts, with only the Lieutenant left standing. He would hold up for another turn! The Genestealers roared into the Terminators, put because of cover were promptly ripped to shreds before they could attack by Ebolus and his Plague sword-wielding aspiring champion. To the left of them, exactly 7 6's saw the squad torn to shreds. Rending claws hurt! In front of the Terminators, the Nurglings were stepped on by about 20 Genestealers, who thern turned their attention to the Terminators.

DEATH GUARD:
    The possessed, enraged at their lack of killing, screamed out from behind cover towards the nearest carnifex. The squad next to them ran out to greet the Hive Tyrant. the Dreadnought moved over to the large brood of gaunts that just wiped out a squad, and moved the other dreadnought to get a long ranged shot on one of the Carnifexes, and moved the squad that was behind the chosen between the combat with all the gaunts and hive tyrant, and the brood of gaunts. I blazed away with boltguns, killing a healthy 7 of them, while the Terminators blazed away into the genestealers to their left, killing every last one. The predator and dreadnought fired on a carnifex, causing a 2 wounds. Nurgles rot then takes its toll....7 from one brood and 6 from another die from the plague, whilst the Possessed bundle into one Carnifex (the unwounded one), the squad charge the winged HT and the dreadnought charges the large brood of gaunts.
    The canrifex is brought down, thanks to the daemonic talons of the possessed, and the Hive Tyrant is finally brought down, but takes 2 Plague Marines with it. The dreadnought kill 2 gaunts, but the rest stay where they are because of the close-by Hive Tyrant. The lieutenant, bringing his Plague Sword to bear, promptly stabs in an upward motion into the Hive Tyrant. The huge beast falls as the plague is spread through his lungs. However, while crashing down, the Hive Tyrant swings his claws, tearing the Lieutenant in two. The gaunts then consolidate into the squad of 7 Plague marines, while the possessed consolidate 6" into the next carnifex.

TURN 3
    Tyranids:
    This time, both the Lictors and the Raveners turned up, which were both placed around the possessed. The rest of the Genestealers run forward towards the terminators, who already seem efficient at killing them, and pile in. At the same time, the Tyranid Warriors charge the dreadnought, in hope that they can save the gaunts from all dying to it. the remaining 18 Genestealers from the remaining two broods charge the Terminators, and the Lictors charge the Possessed. Ebolus manages to bring up another '6' on his manreaper, and tears apart 8 of them, while the Aspiring champion cleaves 2 in half. the remaining 8 manage to bring down 4 of the hulking terminators, although the remaining power fists rip apart all but two of them. However, because of the proximity of the Warriors, they count as fearless, and the 4 armour saves they are forced to make because of it, see both of them into the dust. The dreadnought manages to pull one Tyranid warrior down, while the rending claws from another pull its leg off. The
    Lictors, thanks to their rending, manage to rip apart 4 possessed, but the remaining ones manage to pull down the Carnifex with a hail of razor sharp talons.

DEATH GUARD:
    The Terminators, after victory over the 48 Genestealers run out of the ruins to help their dreadnought. The Lascannons from the predator take a pot-shot at the Raveners, bringing two of them down. Nurgles rot claims another 5 Gaunts from each brood, while a Tyranid warrior loses a wound. The Terminators pile into the gaunts, who are locked with the dreadnought, and the second dreadnough runs into the tyranid warriors. The tyranid warriors are completely destroyed, and the gaunts lose 16 of their number, and due to the lack of Warriors on the board, they flee, but are cought by the dreadnoughts as they attempt to, as the Terminator armour is too slow. The other brood of gaunts, brings down a Plague marine, for the loss of 5. They also flee at the lack of a Synapse creature, and are cought by a sweeping advance as they turn on their heels. 2 more possessed are brought down as a lictor is killed by the return volley. The lone aspiring champion is outnumbered, and he fails his armour save for No Retreat. They're spree is over.

TURN 4
    TYRANIDS:
    all that is left of the Tyranids are the Lictors and the Raveners. They both charge forward, ready to assault the squad. Needless to say, they tore them to shreds, with an obscene amount of rending attacks. However, they were now in a slightly dire position. Directly in front of a predator, 2 dreadnoughts looking into their flank, 2 squads of Death guard and a squad of angry, angry terminators.

DEATH GUARD
    Everyone besides the leg-less dreadnought (who roared a bit instead) moved towards the unfortunate nids, and opened fire. A huge hail of bolt fire and reaper autocannon fire does precisely 14 wounds on the Raveners, and the 5 lascannons blow a hole in each of the Lictors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From this game, both of us agreed that Death Guard terminators are hard. Toughness 5 and a 2+ save is a force to be reckoned with. It was a good game, and his 2nd turn was a bit touch and go. But after my possessed plowed through his Carnifex's, and my Lord liked rolling 6's, it all came together.

If anything doesn't make sense here, there is a perfectly logical explanation, which is I played this game 2 weeks ago, but never got around to typing it up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

104 (x4)

Good report, including some fluff mixed with actual gameplay.

I love to play against massive Tyranid armies, especially with Deathwing, because they win even though they're up against insurmountable odds.

I think the Tyranid player was a lttle too shy with his monstrous creatures, and spent too much on them for statline upgrades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two of my favorite forces.Interesting.You don't see many battlereports of 3000 points.

Would of been beter with the cc tyrand getting the wings and the one with the venomcannon walking up there.
    Carnifexes,well people have very mixed feeling about these.(the haha i rip everything to pieces with this badass to well that slowpoke will never get there.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x3)

It's a very nice report, sounds like the terminators ripped most of the tyranids a new one-as for the plague swords, that's probably the greatest piece of wargear known to man. There's only one thing though - those genestealers should not have taken wounds for being fearless, as when they are within synapse range, they are NOT fearless-they automatically pass leadership/pinning tests, but do not count as fearless, which makes synapse advantageous to fearlessness.
    The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people are awesome and can kick your ass.
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

RAMROD ONE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

those genestealers should not have taken wounds for being fearless, as when they are within synapse range, they are NOT fearless-they automatically pass leadership/pinning tests, but do not count as fearless, which makes synapse advantageous to fearlessness.
    Read the No Retreat rule on page 48. Because they automatically pass the test they have to make the saves, not because they are fearless. It is a rule I don't like, but sadly should be followed...I guess I just don't get why a unit that does not succomb to fear after a test doesn't take wounds where a unit that does not fall back because it does not have to test is punished. The unit should atleast test moral and if they fail that test have to take the wounds, not just take them automatically.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

106 (x4)

I guess I should've worded it, "are essentally fearless"...

Regardless, as nichodemus10 said, they take wounds from the "No Retreat" rule.

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

If they were any other terminators I would say you took to many. Even in such a large game. But only DG and TS termies are worth it in this aspect. Congrats on the victory but I think it could have gone the other way. No offense I just think you had too few plague marines, especially in such a large game. Good battle report tho. :cool:
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson

Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

I retract my last statement. I thought you had 3 plague marine squads, not 5. Sorry it was late, etc. etc...
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson

Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)