Grudge match Iyanden Eldar vs. Dark Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grudge match Iyanden Eldar vs. Dark Eldar

I was eager to try out my tournament army in a few pre game matches before the actual tourney started next week, and my pregame was against a highly mobile Dark Eldar army. I had never played against Dark eldar before, the only thing I knew is that they were just as frail as regular eldar, so my suriken catapults on my vehicles might be worth something afterall.

I don't have a means to draw a map, but I will be as detailed as possible.

Deployment. I won the deployment roll, and as such his army deployed as 5 Raiders, 1 super Raider (I think its called a ravager?) and a foot squad of warriors. He deployed one raider of warriors on each of his extreme flanks, and the bulk of his army to the center. I deployed One waveserpent (the one carrying a Wraithguard unit), my foot slogging wraithguard unit (which included my farseer), and my Wraithlord with a brightlance all on my left opposite a Raider and the Ravager. On my right were my other Wraithlord (with a brightlance) both vypers (with starcannons), in some ruins were my warp spiders, and on the extreme right edge was my Waveserpent with my banshee squad.

I won the roll for first turn. Thats when things started to go bad.....

Turn1

My waveserpent on the left charged foreward, but left himself able to fire his brightlances at the Raider, the Wraithguard unit, and Wraithlord both advanced on my left. My waveserpent on the right powered foreward his full 24" while the vypers and wraithlord, along with my spiders all advanced on my right. My first round of shooting could not have been poorer. My twinlinked brightlances failed to do any damage to his raider (very first roll of the game, a 1....) The wraithlord shot at his Ravager and glanced, rolling a 1 for result. The vypers failed to do any damage to their targets (more raiders!) and the wraithlord only managed to kill 2 warriors. A horrible round of shooting. His resultant turn he charged foreward and disembarked all of his raiders execpt his HQ for fear of having them all killed in a vehicle explosions. His first turn of shooting saw one wound go onto each of my wraithlords, one vyper losing a starcannon, but the fun wasn't over. One warrior squad fired a disentigrator at my Waveserpent carrying my wraithguard. The resultant glance blew up the waveserpent, saw ALL of the squad hit (thats right, I rolled 6 4+s) and the resultant armor saves, only 2 guys survived (despite needing 3s and the warlock a 4). That one shot cost me 258 points.

Turn2

Things weren't looking so good for the first outing. But I bunkered down and exacted revenge on his army. With a lot more vulnerable troops to shoot at, I might be able to swing things back my way. My next turn was much more productive. One vyper and my warpspiders opened up on the nearest warrior squad, killing 9. My other vyper, and wraithlord fired into a squad of wyches killing 7 of them (can you say flamers?), and forcing them to break and run almost to his table edge (they were on combat drugs). My still usable waveserpent fired at his HQ raider, but missed (even with the twin linking). My spiders then used their second jump to retreat behind some rocks to avoid his return fire. On the left, my second wraithguard unit attempted to bring down another raider with wraithcannon, but I got one glancing hit and that just resulted in a "crew shaken". My wraithlord made up for thier failure by firing his flamer at the wyches that had just gotten out of that same Raider, and roasted four of them, causing this squad to break and run for the hills as well! (aparently wyches don't like fire.....). His turn, both wych squads rallied, another wound was put on my starcannon wraithlord (on my right) and his warrior squad (the one with the lucky disruptor rapid fired on my main Wraithguard unit (but didn't do anything thanks to fortune and conceal).

Turn 3

My shooting was mixed this turn. Again I didn't manage to damage any raiders (despite only being AV 10!!!) My banshees disembarked on my extreme right and headed towards the nearest warrior squad. Both of my wraithlords charged the nearest warrior squads after blasting them with their weapons and only producing 1 casualty (i was having some of the worst dice rolling ever). The survivors of the decimated wraithguard squad, fired at the squad of warriors and managed to kill one, and then charged. This is when things went from bad to worse. The survivors of the first wraithguard squad were struck down before being able to inflict any damage (again due to poor save rolling). And this is where I found out about a very nasty Dark Eldar CC weapon that always wounds on a 4 and allows no saves (UH OH, I just charged my wraithlord after him). My wraithlord on the left struck down 2 warriors, who in turn couldn't damage him at all (nothing strong enough to hurt him). The other warrior squad, my wraithlord struck down 3 of the squad leaving the leader by himself, but with the potent CC weapon. The only decent thing that happened was my banshees slaughtering a whole squad of warriors without them even getting to strike back. I consolidated behind some trees as I was now staring at a squad of Incubi and a rallied wych squad who were both hungry for revenge. His turn saw his warriors that had massacred my first wraithguard squad moved to point blank, ready to charge my main squad (the one with my Farseer). His Raiders surrounded my vypers, immobilizing one, and failing to do anything to the other one (the one that lost his starcannon). The warrior squad failed to damage my wraithguard (thank you fortune and conceal) and were going to charge, before he realized he had just rapid fired and couldn't assault! They were now at my mercy. The next close combat phase was minimal, with the exception of my wraithlord dying to the surviving member of the warrior squad (always wounds on a 4+..... pft), that chap was rather heroic......

Turn 4

My next shooting phase saw my spiders killing off 2 incubi and having them pass a morale check, my wraithguard squad fired at the warriors, killing all but 3 and then charged. My still mobile vyper killed the heroic warrior that had struck down my wraithlord (shuriken catapults!!) while my immobile but still functional vyper fired a starcannon at the incubi killing another. My remaining wraithlord finished off his warrior squad, and charged his wyches that were behind them. My waveserpent again failed to damage another raider significantly. My wraithguard squad massacred his remaining warriors and them moved toward the wyches. He lined up a barage of fire on my banshee squad, killing 3. During his turn, a wych squad charged my banshees, (uh oh!) and my other wraithlord was struck down by another of those cursed CC weapons (had I known about these I would never have exposed them like that). The combat between the wyches and banshees went better than I could have hoped (i was expecting to get massacred as the banshees couldn't strike first because they recieved the charge). Well as it turns out, his squad failed to do any damage, and one of his squad was struck down by my exarch, which then laughed as the wyches broke and ran!

Turn 5

Troops were getting rather thin on both sides. My remaining mobile vyper charged towards a wych squad, killing another two with his shuriken catapults. The immobile one's luck ran out and was destroyed by a dark lance equiped raider. My wraithguard moved towards the wych squad that had struck down my wraithlord, but not before firing on his Ravager and blasting it into oblivion (finally destroyed a bloody vehicle!!!!) My banshees chaged his incubi, and the warpspiders tried to take out another raider (only succeded in stunning it twice). In close combat, his Archon injected himself with several combat drugs, wounding himself in the process, but gave himself +1 attacks, reroll misses, and always strikes first (making him strike simultaneous with my banshees). I inflicted ten wounds which should have annihilated the remaining 3 guys right? WRONG! The two regular incubi were struck down, but the remaining wounds didn't get through the Archons 2+ invulnerable save (EEEK!). His Archon struck down the last of my banshees leaving only him and the banshee exarch locked in a fight for his life. His resultant turn was relatively minute, the only action being a disentegrator frying 5 of my warp spiders (blast templates.......and I forgot to space my men out to boot!). In close combat the Archon easily struck down the exarch (drugs drugs and more drugs.....) and headed for cover. He forgot to charge his wyches, so I got a break there.

Turn 6

My vyper took out another 2 wyches with his shuriken catapults (not bad for a damaged vyper) The warp spiders and waveserpent tried to take out the Archon (Toughness 3 meant anything he didn't save was an instant kill) but the 2+ invulnerable saved him again. The wraithguard fired at the wyches, killing one and leaving only two left, who passed their morale check. The warp spiders then attempted to jump into cover, and lost one of their number to the warp, leaving only the exarch. His final turn saw his raiders line up to try to take out ;my waveserpent, but failed to do any damage. His archon charged my warpspider exarch, and cut him down easily. His wych squad charged my wraithguard, managing to kill off 4 in a flurry of poor saving throws. In return I killed one wych leaving 1 left. And the battle ended.

Result: Draw He won by 100 pts, but that was within the 150 need for a draw at 1500 pts.

when it was all said and done, I had a waveserpent farseer, a damaged vyper, a warlock and 2 wraithguard left.

He had 5 raiders, his archon (wounded) and two wyches.

Heros of the battle: My damaged vyper killed 6 wyches and two warriors with his shuriken catapults, my warpspiders (they were a serious pain in his side until he got a lucky template in) and my main wraithguard squad, who absorbed so much fire and only lost one man to shooting!

It was an interesting fight, being that both armies charged right for each other out of the starting gate, and that horrible first turn almost doomed me from the get go. Fortunately I overcame it a bit. this was also my first fight against dark eldar. I would appreciate any pointers, or things I should have done different (other than the fact I shouldn't have charged my wraithlords to get killed off by cheap troopers).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

I'd say, instead of the starcannons, twin shurikannons on your vypers. They seemed to be hurting him something awful, and you didn't really need the AP2. You might have wanted to try the same on the Wave Serpents, as Raiders and Ravagers aren't exactly the most durable things. Plus, you'd still have your Wraithlords, which could take ount anything of super-high AV. The S of the Shurikannons would instakill anything and everything in his list. Other than that, kudos, good battle!
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it seems I might have cheated myself out of victory. I forgot that under 4th ed rules Wraithlords count as monsterous creatures, and thus count as 10 for the purposes of outnumbering. That being said, neither of my wraithlords should have been killed because the respective squads they were fighting in CC would have had such bad leadership modifiers that they would have had to roll "Insane Courage" to stick around and fight them as one guy was by himself vs a monsterous creature (outnumbered 10:1 and below half strength) and the other squad was outnumbered 3:1 and below half strength (and I know he rolled a 6 for leadership). I also cheated myself out of a few kills because I forgot about the "Insta-kill on a 6" rule with wraithcannon on your to hit rolls.........AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

A good battle. You had some bad luck, and made some mistakes you are not likely to make again (Wraithlord against agonizer, not spacing out warp spiders). And still you managed to get a draw, not bad.

Arizzar
    If the radiance of a thousand suns
    Were to burst at once into the sky,
    That would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...
    I am become Death,
    The shatterer of Worlds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

out of curiosity when your banshees failed to strike first is it cus of a rule with the wyches or cus you got charged cus i always thought the banshee mask was always active not just on the turn you charge
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason is that the wyches were on a strike first combat drug. Banshees always strike first regardless of whether or not they are charged, but that only applies to combat round 1, any further combats the masks don't help. Thats why I was fortunate that they didn't do any damage because theoretically his succubus should have done at least one casualty and my exarch had the only casualty the whole combat (bad dice on both sides and the stupid halve weapon skill wych ability, but the executioner saved the day). And yes now that I know about agonizers I will shoot any units from afar instead of charging if I have the choice, again this was my first battle vs Dark eldar, now I know what to expect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x3)

heh do you have a copy of this army list? Im new to Iyanden and want to get full knowledge all around versus my enemies..

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HQ

Farseer
    Fortune
    CC weapon
    S.Pistol
    62pts

Troops

5 wraithguard
    Warlock
    Cc weapon
    S.Pistol
    Enhance

203pts

7 Wraithguard
    Warlock
    Cc weapon
    S.Pistol
    Conceal

278pts

Wraithlord
    Brightlance
    120 pts

Wraithlord
    Starcannon
    120 pts

Vyper
    Starcannon
    65pts

Vyper
    Starcannon
    65pts

7 Warp spiders
    1 Exarch
    Withdraw
    203 pts

6 Banshees
    1 Exarch
    Executioner
    133 pts

Waveserpent
    Brightlances
    125pts

Waveserpent
    Brightlances
    125 pts.

Total 1499

30 Infantry
    4 vehicles
    2 wraithlords
    And not one heavy support choice!

I got a good amount of help filling the rest of my army out by some of the folks on this forum (I had a decent core, just needed some tweaking), and again I say thanks as this list is working out quite well for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

I'd suggest dropping the Spider Exarch and grabbing another spider or two. The Exarch and power aren't really worth it...
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is one reason for the exarch, and thats for the Withdraw skill. Vs massive hand to hand units appearing out of no where (Daemons), and other fast movers (assault teams), that saves my whole squad from being surprised and annihilated. In my Dark eldar game I did have to use it once as he did try to tie them up with a cheap unit of warriors, nothing came of it though. But two more spiders would be nice to have......

+ Reply to Thread