The Tomb Legions and the Pawns of Chaos - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

The Tomb Legions and the Pawns of Chaos

My titles are pretty bad, aren't they? :tongue:

Next battle was with the same list as before against the Alpha Legion. This battle counts for the scores of Winter War as well, so this would be my second out of the three I need to qualify (yeah, right). We were too lazy to rearrange the scenery from the last game (see other batrep) so we just chucked dice for the table sides and I got to pick up my Necrons and move over. Joy!

Optical sensors, rotating, the Necron Lord scanned the battlefield cautiously for signs of enemies before proceeding. His Warriors fanned out on either side of him and the great, ominous form of the Monolith drifted slightly off to the right, accompanied by more Warriors. The Scarabs chittered along down the hills, the midday sun gleaming off their carapace-like bodies.

Suddenly, the Lord halted. There were bio-signatures registering on his long-range scans. Interfacing with the scarabs, he confirmed that they were servants of Chaos - the force that represented the ultimate undoing of his master's plans. Once, he might have felt incredible hatred towards such beings but it had been long since he had known the weakness of flesh. He was Necron now and emotion was a concept completely alien to him...it...or just him. It mattered not. Oddly enough, there were but a few Chaos Space Marines visible on the battlefield, all sporting an array of heavy weaponry. Motioning his Warriors forward, he signalled the attack.

The Scarabs rushed forward, attempting to intercept the Chaos Space Marines before they got a chance to bring their heavy weapons to bear. However, they could not quite reach the squad that had taken up a position on the right flank. The Monolith drifted forward in an ominous sort of way, sending a shiver down the spine of the Chaos Lord. One of the Warrior squads advanced cautiously, taking up a position on a hill in the middle of the deployment zone.

The Alpha Legion forces made their move undetected by the Necron short range scanners, creeping through a forest on the left flank. A group of cultists complained about the lack of clear pathways as they hacked through the undergrowth while a small group of Marines attempted to encircle the enemy. The Chaos Lord and his retinue of Raptors sliced their way with ease through various species of shrubbery and emerged to the left of the battle line. Meanwhile, a squad of Marines on the left side of the battlefield advanced forward, attempting to get a clear shot at the Monolith, which they greatly (and rightly) feared. Another squad in the centre took cover behind a structure in the middle of the battlefield while the Marines on the right saw the Scarabs as an opportune target and took a few shots at them, slaying two of the five swarms outright.

The Monolith turned its Gauss Flux Arc on the advancing squad of Marines but it did little damage to them, if any - their power armour was just too strong to penetrate at the moment, even for advanced Necron science. On the other hand, the heavy weapon team that had advanced took several devastating hits and two out of the five were left standing at the end of it. The loss of their three comrades proved to be too much for them to handle and they began to flee the battlefield. The Necron Warriors turned their guns on the Chaos Raptors with little effect while the Scarab Swarms charged the Heavy Weapon team and managed to slay one of their number.

With a screech that sounded like some odd primate, the Raptors charged the Necron flank and cut through the Warriors like a flaming sword, slaying all ten of them in a single round of deadly close combat. The squad's Aspiring Champion in particular distinguished himself in the eyes of the Chaos Gods by wielding his Powerfist to deadly effect. With unnatural speed, they overran the Necrons' position straight into a second squad of warriors. The Chaos Lord leaped into single combat with his Necron counterpart, eager to prove himself in the eyes of the gods. His Darkblade hummed through the air as he cut at the powerful Necron and dealt him a damaging blow. The Staff of Light whirred as it cut through the Chaos Lackey's armour and dealt him a blow in return. The melee between the Chaos Space Marines and Scarabs continued, the Marines attempting to squash the bugs with powerful sweeps of their arms. It was in vain, however, as the swarms simply rushed over them, killing another one and devouring his life-essence to feed their master.

With a single unspoken command, the Resurrection Orb began to pulse and glow with a sickly light. Five of the warriors who had previously fallen clambered back together and rose up, joining their brethren in combat against the Raptors. However, the Lord would not give them the satisfaction of killing more of his Warriors and he ordered the Monolith into action. Activating its Power Matrix, the Monolith pulled the beleaguered Warriors towards itself. They disappeared, only to emerge seconds later from the portal at the giant pyramid's base. The Warriors then turned their guns on the Marines advancing on the centre, killing three of them. Meanwhile, the two Lords remained locked in single combat. The Darkblade hummed and moaned as it cut through the air, shattering the Necron Lord's defenses and dropping him to the ground.

Frustrated and deprived of their prey, the Raptors leaped into combat with another Necron squad on the right flank, slaying four of them. The Cultists finally managed to hack their way through the undergrowth and charged at the Warriors, killing several and ensuring that the squad could do no further damage. The Chaos Space Marines followed suit and soon Necron and Chaos-altered human were locked in a brutal melee. With over half their squad dead, the Necrons looked as if they might attempt to retreat but the squad held. The fleeing Chaos Space Marines, on the other hand, never looked back and left the battlefield in disgrace.

Slowly, life began to stir within the Necron Lord's inner mechanisms. As parts slowly began to reform, he moved his head to stare through burning sockets at the back of the arrogant Chaos Lord. Within a few moments, he was on his feet and pointed his Staff of Light at the fool's exposed back. The power began to build, but then disappated as the Lord reconsidered and simply motioned towards the Monolith. The coruscating energy beams of the Gauss Flux Arc tore the Chaos Lord to pieces. Turning, the Necron Lord fired his Staff of Light at the Marines that had tried to encircle his army, of which there were only three. They died at the hands of his staff, though he could do little for the warriors in close combat with the Cultists and Chaos Space Marines. The Scarabs, meanwhile, could do little damage to their opponents but the Marines did little in return.

The melee between the Marines and the Scarabs continued for some time with alternating bouts of swatting, stamping, shouting, and cursing. The Scarabs, for all their perseverance, could not cause even a single dent in their foes' armour but this was not the case for the Chaos Marines, who killed another two Swarms. The Necron Warriors did not fare to well either as the Raptors wiped them all out and gloated over the shredded metal parts. Meanwhile, the Cultists and Chaos Space Marines continued to hack their way through the Necron ranks. Though the Warriors fought valiantly in the face of so much filth, their attacks did little to stem the assault and they were cut down almost to the last man.

Snarling and slavering, the Cultists charged onwards through the melee, hacking down gleaming skeletal warriors as they went. To their left, they could see their Alpha Legion masters cutting down any who stood to oppose them with obvious ease and skill. They smiled, so proud were they to serve under such dread masters. Even these mysterious alien constructs could not stand up against them and they would take the giant Monolith as a prize for the Dark Gods. There were only a few Warriors standing in their way...it was theirs for the taking. Leaping at the Warriors, they flew through the air and landed in the mud. The Alpha Legion Marines roared with laughter that soon faded when they realized the battlefield was eerily empty. There was not a single trace of the Necron army they had been fighting moments ago. The last thing they saw was a glimpse of two burning, soulless eyes...

VICTORY POINTS GAINED: 470
    OPPONENT'S VICTORY POINTS (From my army alone): 1000 - PHASE OUT

MASSACRE TO THE ALPHA LEGION!

Yep, I got massacred again. I've pretty much accepted now that I have no chance of winning this tournament as many of the players have years more experience behind them as well as finely tuned armies. However, I did receive some interesting suggestions with what to do about my Scarab problem, so my army will definitely be modified for the next battle and then those accursed Marines will pay!

What I Did Right: The Monolith did its job quite well, though the results were not nearly as spectacular as they were in the previous game. I was incredibly tempted to blast the Chaos Lord with my Staff of Light while his back was turned but instead, the Flux Arc gave me five hits so he most certainly died. The Scarab Swarms held off that Heavy Weapon squad (No, they weren't Havocs) for the majority of the game, so I was pleased with their performance. However, there isn't anything they could have done that Wraiths couldn't also have done, so I stick by my point that Scarab Swarms suck.

What I Did Wrong: Monolith tactics were probably my weakest point in this game as I forgot several times that I could fire both my Flux Arc and Particle Whip at the same time if it didn't move. Also, I didn't make as much use of the teleporting as I should have (I could have strung those Cultists and Marines on for a long time and dealt with those Raptors right and proper!). Also, it was a mistake to leave my Lord as exposed as I did - I've found that losing the Resurrection Orb always puts me in a dangerous situation.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

nice written battle report, but the monolith cant fire both weapons. If you shoot ordnance u cant choot any other weapons, even if you remain stationary
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Another good battle report, even if Necrons continue to show thier failure as an army.

Excellantly written report.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

I don't know where I got the idea that the Monolith can shoot both weapons but I went back and looked over the rules and you're right, it can't. So, where did I get idea? I dunno.

@ Wings of Doom: Thanks for the comment. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you meant that MY Necrons are continuing to show their failure as an army. I'm making some changes to my list for the next few battles but I certainly hope that I'm going to turn my luck around. I actually placed pretty well in the tournament so far and the one army I actually fear (Dark Eldar) is somewhat beneath me at the moment. The people who placed high are the really experienced players and I'd be pretty surprised if I ever beat them. I put it down to lack of experience on my part rather than any weakness in the list as a whole - people are very good at reducing a Monolith's effectiveness and I am being a bit too absent-minded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not exactly sure but i think someone told me that the Particle whip is not an Ordnance weapon - it just uses an Ordnance pie plate (like the Tau Hammerhead-mounted railgun). In that case u can fire both weapons even if u move...

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

now ur making me curious... what IS the list you've been using for theses battles?
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

264 (x6)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x3)

The Particle Whip IS an ordnance weapon, and follows all the rules as thus.
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice report, enjoyed reading it.
    You made me feel like it was a good choice to sell my 'crons!

BTW, your title was great! hands down, one of the best! :yes:

HPA

Records as of Jan 1st 2006:
    Blood Angels: 10-2
    Biel-Tan Eldar: 1-0
    Necrons(Recently sold)

+ Reply to Thread