1000 Sons vs Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

1000 Sons vs Tau

This was a battle with a friend of mine, he'd been undefeated lately and wanted to take a break from his new Sisters of Battle and break out the old Tau (which had a record of 23-1). I figured it was time he suffered a defeat and as such this was a very satisfying game :-)

This is my first battle report, so I hope the styles readable and enjoyable. It was done largely from memory the next day, so there may be the odd mistake. There were also a few instances where one or both of us forgot something and a few rule disputes where the way we played it we've since learned was wrong. Oh well, it was still a good game.

(EDIT: I forgot to mention, it was a 1500 point game)

Tau List (approximately):
    Commander in Crisis Suit & 2 Suit Bodygruard
    -TL Plasma Cannon
    -Missile Pod
    -Multi-Tracker
    -Shield Generator(?) - (EDIT: Commander Only)
    2 X 2 Crisis Suits
    -Plasma Cannon
    -Missile Pod
    -Multi-Tracker
    (EDIT: There were no shield generators on the regular Crisis Suits)
    2 X Broadside
    -TL Rail Gun
    -Missile Pod
    -Multi-Tracker(?)
    -Shield Generator(?)
    Etherreal
    3 x 12 Fire Warriors
    10 Kroot
    8 Stealth Suits

Thousand Sons List:
    Daemon Prince
    -Mark of Tzeentch
    -Personal Icon
    -Close Combat Weapon
    -Daemon Flight
    -Daemonic Stature
    -Daemonic Aura
    -Daemonic Armour
    -Daemonic Essence
    -Daemonic Rune
    Lord of Change
    -Bolt of Change
    9 Marines (8 Rubric + AC)
    -Daemonic Chains (on AC)
    -Rhino (Extra Armour, Pintle Mounted Combi-Flamer) – Apparently, I forgot the Smoke Launcher!
    2 x 9 Flamers
    Dreadnought
    -Daemonic Possession
    -Mutated Hull
    -TL Lascannon
    -Missle Launcher
    Predator
    -Daemonic Possession
    -Parasetic Possession
    -Mutated Hull
    -Smoke Launcher
    -TL Lascannon Turret
    -Lascannon Sponsons

Deployment:
    See a picture of the board after deployment here (it was done from a very rough sketch and memory, so some proportions may be slightly off). I was a little nervous having only 4 models on the board compared to the masses of Tau. Still, I’ve found a lot of opponents become overconfident when half your army starts off the board. I won the roll for first turn.

Turn 1 (Chaos)
    Movement:
    The dreadnought shifts east to just see the front of the Hammer Head, while keeping Broadside 2 out of line of sight. The Prince flies up behind the east forest (just south of the bottom tip of it) and sits there. The Predator pivots so the turret and 1 sponson can see Broadside 1. The Rhino moves a full 12 inches up beside the NW hill (south side of it).
    Shooting:
    The dreadnought shakes the Hammer Head and the Predator hits Broadside 2 but the would is saved (this was a trend that would continue most of the game, with his Broadsides making all their saves).
    Assault:
    None.

Turn 1 (Tau)
    Movement:
    The Hammer Head backs up behind the forest out of any possible LOS to the Dreadnought. Both Crisis Suit units and the Stealth Suits move towards the Daemon Prince. The Kroot move over between the north bunker and the north-west hill while the Commander and bodyguard jump on top of the NW hill.
    Shooting:
    In a hail of rapid firing Plasma Cannons the Rhino is penetrated (so everyone gets out, though we forgot about this until my next movement phase) and immobilized. Everything else (all Fire Warriors, Broadside 1 and possibly 2, both units of Crisis Suits and the Stealth Suits) shoots at the Daemon Prince (several units rapid firing) and does a total of 2 wounds. The look on my friends face at that point made the entire game worthwhile. :-)
    Assault:
    Crisis and Stealth Suits back up, the Commander jumps back off the hill (to the other side of the rhino).

Board after Turn 1

Turn 2 (Chaos)
    Movement:
    Despite inviting possession and a re-roll, the Lord of Change refuses to come in and join the battle. However, 1 of the Flamer units does and lands right beside the Prince (just inside the wall). The Marines shift towards the Kroot while the Dreadnought shuffles a little further east so it can see Broadside 2. The Daemon Prince flies over the forest landing right in front of the eastern edge of Fire Warriors 3 and the Flamers hop the wall and move towards Crisis Team 2.
    Shooting:
    The tanks are useless, with the Predator again having no luck against Broadside 1, the Dreadnought fairs likewise and the Rhino decides it’s a bad idea to try flaming the Kroot and possibly ruining a chance for the Marines to charge. Marines don’t fire for fear of killing to many Kroot and not getting to charge. The Flamers shoot at Crisis Team 2 and manage a total of 3 wounds.
    Assault:
    The Prince charges the Fire Warriors and clears his kill zone and suddenly finds himself out of combat and unable to consolidate into anything (we’ve since clarified that this isn’t how combat works, as myself and our local Tyranid player found it hard to believe). The Marines charge the Kroot, lose 3 wounds but kill 4 or 5 Kroot, which then break and are run down by the Marines. Finally the Flamers assault Crisis Team 2 and after no wounds are dealt my opponent decides to voluntarily break (another rule we’ve since clarified) and is again run down.

Turn 2 (Tau)
    Movement:
    The Comander moves south again into Rapid Fire position with the Marines. The Hamer Head shifts west between the small forest and the Daemon Prince. Fire Warriors 1 moves towards the marines (they just make rapid fire distance). The Stealths move towards the Flamers, as does Fire Warriors 2. Finally the remaining models in Fire Warrior 3 line up in front of the Daemon Prince and the remaining Crisis Team also moves towards the Prince.
    Shooting:
    The Hammer Head, Crisis Team 1, both Broadsides and Fire Warriors 3 all shoot at the Prince again and this time the Fire Warriors manage enough shots that a few ones are rolled for armour saves and the prince finally dies. Fire Warriors 2 and the Stealths shoot at the Flamers and reduce them to 5 models. The Commander and guard shoot at the Marines, doing another 4 wounds and bringing the squad down to 6 models minus a wound.
    Assault:
    The Commander again retreats south, while the Stealths back up west away from the Flamers and Crisis Team 1 moves SW towards Fire Warriors 1.

Board after Turn 2

Turn 3 (Chaos)
    Movement:
    Finally, the Lord of Change comes into play, as does the second unit of flamers (scattering just to the east side of the north bunker). The Marines shift up a few inches (I keep getting very bad Slow and Purposeful rolls) to the north side of the bunker. The Predator moves 6 inches east to see the newly exposed Hammer Head and out of LOS of Broadside 1. The Lord of Change flies north towards the Commander. The first Flamer squad moves west towards the Stealths while the 2nd unit of Flamers moves up towards Crisis Team 1 and Fire Warriors 1.
    Shooting:
    The Predator destroys the Hammer Head (finally doing _something_) while the Dreadnought sick of pumping shots into a Broadside kills a couple Fire Warriors from the far east unit. Flamers 1 shoot at the Stealths and manage to actually kill 2. Flamers 2 (the newer, still full unit) shoot at the remaining Crises Team and unfortunately wipe them out. The Marines shoot at Fire Warriors 1 and kill only one.
    Assault:
    Things start to really look up as the Lord of Change assaults the Commander and kills one of his bodyguard. Flamers 1 assaults the Stealths to little effect, losing a Flamer and another wound to instability.

Turn 3 (Tau)
    Movement:
    Fire Warriors 1 moves towards Flamers 2 while Fire Warriors 3 run east in hopes of doing something.
    Shooting:
    Fire Warriors 1 and 2 shoot at Flamers 2 and kill 2 of them. Broadside 2 destroys the Dreadnought and Broadside 1 (lacking a good target) kills a Marine.
    Assault:
    The Lord of Change kills another Crisis suited bodyguard and the Stealths finally destroy the first Flamers unit (with the help of a horrible instability roll).

Board after Turn 3

Turn 4 (Chaos)
    Movement:
    The remaining Flamers move towards Fire Warriors 1, as do the Marines (very slowly).
    Shooting:
    Annoyed at the cheap shot from the Broadside last turn, the Marines shoot at Broadside 1, managing two wounds both of which go unsaved (he finally rolled some ones for armour saves) killing the Broadside. Emboldened by the Marines luck the Predator shoots at the other Broadside and also kills it. Flamers 2 shoot at Fire Warriors 1 but kill only 3 bringing them down to 8 Fire Warriors remaining (compared to the Flamers 7 models and 14 wounds).
    Assault:
    The Lord of Change puts a wound on the Commander, who continues to do nothing at all in return. The Flamers assault the Fire Warriors and loses another 3 wounds total while somehow doing nothing to the Fire Warriors.

Turn 4 (Tau)
    Movement:
    The non-locked Fire Warriors and the Stealths all move west towards the Fire Warriors/Flamers combat.
    Shooting:
    Nothing, everything not in combat moved and the big combat blocks LOS to the Marines anyways.
    Assault:
    The Lord of Change does another 2 wounds to the Commander, leaving him still kicking with a final wound (damn!). Fire Warriors 2 charges in to the big combat and the Flamers lose another 3 wounds total.

Board after Turn 4

Turn 5 (Chaos)
    Movement:
    The marines shift forwards towards the big combat.
    Shooting:
    Nothing to shoot.
    Assault:
    The Lord of Change finally kills the commander and gets to move a full 6 inches towards the other combat. Marines charge the big combat and manage to kill a couple Fire Warriors. The Flamers continue to do nothing but die, losing another 3 wounds (down to four full wound models).

Turn 5 (Tau)
    Movement:
    The Stealths and remaining free Fire Warrior squad move towards the combat.
    Shooting:
    Nothing.
    Assault:
    Stealths and Fire Warriors 3 both charge the Marines (with only 4 marines left and the Flamers pretty seriously surrounded I can’t remember how he managed to get everyone into combat, but oh well). The Marines kill a Stealth suit and lose a Marine in response. The Flamers take a whopping 5 wounds from combat and another single would from instability.

Board after Turn 5

At this point the Tau player conceded as even if he survived the charge of the Lord of Change next turn and killed everything in the combat (yeah, right) he would still have fewer points on the board the undamaged Predator and no way to harm it.

Last edited by destp; February 28th, 2006 at 12:18.
    -destp
    Thousand Sons ~2750 points | Eldar ~1000 points
    Tzeentch Daemons ~2000 points

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

um first of all, isnt the broadside insta killed by the lascannon. Its strength 9 AP2, and the broadside (unless given sheild generators) has a save of +2 and a toughness of 4, this weapon both piereces his armor AND instakills him, so how did he survive?
    “Krump first, assk qweztions neva'!"- 3000 Orks
    5/4/2
    Dark Eldar- 1500 1/0/0
    "the very gods for vengeance cry”- 3000 Dwarves
    3/1/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x2)

Ditto.

Also, can Thousand Sons declare a charge?
    2H - LEGIO HYDRA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

He did have a Shield Generator (4+ invulnerable save I think?), however he also seemed to have a Multi-Tracker (as I think he fired the missiles and the rail in one turn) which I think adds up to 4 hard points used (of an available 3). I'll see if I can get the guy I played onto these boards to comment.
    -destp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHats
    Also, can Thousand Sons declare a charge?
    Yeah, just like normal (though they charge as if through difficult terrain and don't get +1 attack for charging).
    -destp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by destp
    He did have a Shield Generator (4+ invulnerable save I think?), however he also seemed to have a Multi-Tracker (as I think he fired the missiles and the rail in one turn) which I think adds up to 4 hard points used (of an available 3). I'll see if I can get the guy I played onto these boards to comment.
    He can legally have this set up as long as the multi-tracker was on the character. The character inside the suit is still counted as having a hard wired system, just as marines riding bikes can have special equipment. However if he put it on the suit and not the wearer then it is illegal. As for the instant kill, 4+ invulnerable save on the shield generator.
    Last edited by mephistophales; February 28th, 2006 at 05:28.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes the broadside was insta-killed, and the broadside may be upgraded with hardwired systems once made team leaders. It was a good battle though, and it looked like it could go either way for a while, until i was crushed in close combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Seemed like a good battle. A few rules stuff that was cleared up afterwards, but as far as I can tell it dit not have much of an impact on the result.

The TS lord is horribly expensive, but since he did soak up an amazing amount of firepower before crumbling I think he actually did pay off.

Arizzar
    If the radiance of a thousand suns
    Were to burst at once into the sky,
    That would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...
    I am become Death,
    The shatterer of Worlds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you have two lords?
    bolters don't kill people, dangerous minorities do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by death and glory
    Can you have two lords?
    You can have two HQs, which in this case is a Lord and a Greater Daemon.
    -destp

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast