[1500] Tau vs SM Biker Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[1500] Tau vs SM Biker Army

I'm entered in a league where we play 1 battle every 2 weeks (10 total + playoffs).

This was the first battle in my division. I'm a fairly new player and this was my first time facing Tau.

Anyways, here's the lists:

Significant Divergence Space Marine Chapter

Traits:
    Advantages: Be Swift as the Wind, Blessed be the Warriors
    Drawbacks: Aspire to Glory, We Stand Alone

HQ

Reclusiarch - Crozius Arcanum, Rosarius, BP, Terminator Honors, Bike, Frag
    Grenades
    (attached to Bike Squad 1)

Elites

Techmarine - Servoarm, Signum, BP, Terminator Honours, Bike, Frag Grenades
    (attached to Bike Squad 2)

7-Strong Assault Squad - 2xPlasma Pistols, T honours, PF, BP
    Furious Charge

3-Strong Scout Bike Squad - MBs
    Furious Charge

Troops

6-Strong Bike Squad 1 - Flamer, Plasmagun, Attack Bike HB
    Vet Sergeant - T honours, PW, BP
    Skilled Riders

6-Strong Bike Squad 2 - 2x Meltaguns, Attack Bike MM
    Vet Sergeant - T honours, PW, BP

Fast Attack

Land Speeder Tornado - HB, AC

Land Speeder Tornado - HB, AC

Heavy Support

Pred Anni, HB sponsons

Pred Anni, HB sponsons

Not 100% sure on his list, sorry for any goofs!

Tau list:

HQ

Ethereal

Shas'o
    2x Bodyguards

Elites

6x Stealthsuits

Crisis Suit

Troops

2x 12 Firewarriors

20 Kroot

Fast Attack

4 Pathfiders - Devilfish

Heavy Support

Broadside

Broadside

Railhead

Mission - Alpha Secure and Control (loot!). 3 loot counters. One in the open far left middle, one in the debris near Tau deployment zone in the middle, one in the building near my deployment zone on the far right.

Deployment

Tau - Devilfish sets up on my far right with pathfinders outside behind it. Stealths behind the barn. HQ suits behind a hill with Broadside 1 setting up ontop of the same hill. Firewarriors 1 and 2 behind the middle terrain with the Ethereal in between. Kroot in the debris/destroyed building in the middle. Lone crisis suit sets up behind hill on the far left. Broadside 2 sets up behind the river.

Smurfs - Both landspeeders setup behind the building on the far left. Bike squad 1 with Chappie setup behind the small hill in the middle of my deployment zone along with the Assault squad. Tanks, Bike squad 2 with Techie, and scout bikes crowd around behind and to the right of the building on my far right.

Scout bikes zip up 12" towards the Devilfish (DF).

The battle!

Turn 1 - Smurfs win the roll and chose to go first.

Smurfs - The Scout bikes move up right infront of the DF and rapidfire on the pathfinders - no wounds! Both tanks then move out and fire on the DF... the first Predator misses completely (both shots, with twinlink!! Rolled a 1 then a 2...) second Predator glances and stuns the DF. Bike 2 moves up and opens up on the DF destroying it (he said I could only glance it?? not sure on this, is this a special rule for Tau on deployment? I was within 12" on the MM so I rolled 2D6 and got easy penetration, or so I thought. Anyways, I still rolled a 6 on the 'glancing' but wanted to double check this). The assault squad and Bike 1 rush the middle. Speeder 1 jumps out and misses on Broadside 2. Speeder 2 jumps out but he says there's no line of sight even though I can see the crisis suit, its behind the hill so I fire on the Kroot killing 1. (I wouldn't have moved it if I'd known...)

Tau - Everyone and their brother open up on the assault squad and Bike 1. When the dust settles 3 assualt squad members, the chappie, flamer bike, vet bike sarg. and attack bike (1 wound) are left standing. Broadside 2 fires and destroys Landspeeder 2.

Turn 2

Smurfs - Scout bikes assault and die to the Stealths before they can even attack, something about stealths always being considered in cover... Bike 2 assaults and wipes out the pathfinders then consolidates into the stealths. Bike 1 and the assault squad fire on and assault the Kroot wiping them out, but getting a crappy consolidation move are left out in the open. The LST moves back into cover. Predator 1 moves around to shoot at the Railhead but missed. Predator 2 moves back behind the far right building.

Tau - Once again, everyone fires on the assault squad and Bike 1 wiping them out, but it takes all his units to do it. Railhead and Broadside 2 only manage to stun Predator 2. The stealths are wiped out before they can attack and I consolidate towards Broadside 1 and his Crisis HQ. At this point, I figured its pretty much over. I only had 4 scoring units left and controlled only 1 loot counter to his 2. All my hope rests with Bike 2... can they do it??

Turn 3

Smurfs - The only action is Bike 2 assaulting both Broadside 2 (2 wounds) and the Suits HQ (1 bodyguard dead, 1 wound on the Commander, 1 wound on the other bodyguard). He passes his leadership and we consolidate.

Tau - Railhead and Broadside 2 roll horribly and only shake Predator 2. I roll horribly and his HQ survives killing 1 biker but I take out Broadside 1. With nothing else to shoot its:

Turn 4

Smurfs - I wipe out his HQ and get a lucky 6" consolidate into Firewarrior 1! Predator 2 retreats back behind the building.

Tau - With nothing to shoot, I run down Firewarrior 1 in his assault phase and consolidate 1" towards Firewarrior 2.

Turn 5

Smurfs - I move out Predator 1 6" in the hope of supporting the bikes and maybe taking the middle loot counter. It shoots and !of course! does no damage to the Railhead... The bikes do better, they shoot and kill 4, then move in and kill another 6 firewarriors without any losses. Luckily for me, he passes his leadership even after rerolling and we consolidate.

Tau - Broadside 2 is out of range of Predator 1 and the Railhead only shakes it! The last of the firewarriors are wiped out and I consolidate back towards the middle loot counter.

Turn 6

Smurfs - The LST jumps out 24" to contest the far left loot marker. The techmarine splits off from Bike 2 and kills the ethereal. Everything passes the moral test however so the remaining Crisis suit sits next to my LST on the objective. The bikes run back to contest the middle marker but only manage to stun the Railhead!!! Both metlaguns miss... Predator 1 cant move to contest the middle loot counter so it move back to defend mine.

Tau - Broadside 2 only shakes the LST... if it can live I win, if it dies... the crisis misses all but 1 shot... it glances... he... rolls... a... 6!!! Oh well.

So the game ends in a draw!

I hold 1 loot counter, he holds 1, and the middle one is contested by the Railhead and Bike 2.

Unit of the match goes to Biker 2 - 3 crisis suits, 1 devilfish, 4 pathfinders, 6 stealthsuts, 24 Firewarriors, 1 Ethereal, and 1 Broadside. That unit frustrated the Tau player to no end. He just couldn't run away from it fast enough!

Anyways, it was a fun game. Any comments, questions, etc are welcome.

Pictures coming soon!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How effective do you generally find an army that consists of mainly bikes, and assault troops, and what are your usual tactics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play a white scars army from time to time and it looks like this

Chaplin - pwrsword, bike 150

Bike 1 - 5x Bikes, 2x melta guns, Vet Sgt/ Term H. / Pwrfst Furious charge 225
    Bike 2 - 5x Bikes, 2x melta guns, Vet Sgt/ Term H. / Pwrfst Furious charge 225
    Bike 3 - 5x Bikes, 2x melta guns, Vet Sgt/ Term H. / Pwrfst Furious charge 225

10x Tac - Vet sgt/ Term H. / Pwrfist - Melta gun 243
    Rhino - smoke

10x Assault SQ.- Vet Sgt/Term H./ Pwrfst - 2x plasmapistols 260

Pred Anihilator - Hvy Bolter Sponsons -130

LSPDR Tornado - 80
    What i find is when i play non MEQs the bike squads can usually tear up whatever they charge at, but taking is painstaking. I cringe at the death of every biker. Its against Other marine armies and necrons that i find myself having to commit multipe bike squads to over power 1 Full size tac squad before they can commit more resources to that close combat.
    Your best weapon is speed and chosing where the battle happens. I usually set up sprawled out on the board and 1st turn i will turbo boost most my units to one side and then take out the weaker half before the enemy can redeploy his units, or support that side. Bike units can take a lot of punishment from small arms most the time, But plasma and lascannons will chew through squads like they were gaurdsmen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maugatar
    How effective do you generally find an army that consists of mainly bikes, and assault troops, and what are your usual tactics?

Heh, I'm still trying to figure these things out!

So far, it either wins really big, or loses really big. Mostly, this is due to the low model count. Every loss hurts. I mean really hurts! (My cheapest model is 25pts).

For the Tau battle, I felt I had little choice due to the terrain, but to charge the one bike squad and hope for good 3+ inv saves. It also ended up taking the heat of my other bike squad, and hopefully as you read, it ended up wiping out 80% of his army which was fun for me, extremely frustrating for the Tau player. He was a great sport tho.

For tactics, I generally try to charge shooty/low str armies, usually on the flanks if possible. Against assaulty armies, I try to deploy spread out, then zip my army to one side or the other and try to shoot up one side, then stay back and shoot the rest of the army as it tries to come over and get me! Sorry that this is so general, but I'm still trying to iron out all the details of what works best in each situation and what might be applicable to more than one.

I played a friendly game against Khorne right after the Tau game and just barely lost. I used my speeders to lure his ragers away from the objectives, but his big scary model (demon prince?) was able to get close enough to my one bike squad and unleashed a unit of bloodletters on me (24 power weapon attacks!) on turn 2 that it was really pretty much over from the start. My tanks and speeders picked off several units but when the dust settled I only had 1 unit on the objective to his 2.

You just can't make any mistakes with this army. Every move, every unit, every model is precious. But I like bikes, tanks, and LSTs and I don't like painting tons of infantry...

Anyways, I've rambled enough.

Just my 2 cents,
    K

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for that i do see your point about elite armies when they work they work very well indeed the only problem is that regular opponents can adapt their armies in order to beat you although the more games you get with this army the more you will learn about how to win with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

Just clearing some of the misconceptions up
    1. If a skimmer moves more than 6 inches in their previous turn (this includes LSTs, and the Tau vehicles with a special upgrade, I forgot the name)
    2. Stealth suits do not have any such rule, just when you fire at them it is night fight, anyway how did he roll three fours then fives on 6 dice and you fail all three 4+s
    3. You were really unlike man, you played a good game, and it was wrong for your opponent to trick you. Good game and report. Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

I'm fairly sure stealth suits are always in cover for assault as an additional effect from their stealth abilities.

As for the devilfish I guess the confusion comes from the fact it is also a scout (as it is attached to pathfiders), and thus probably moved more then 6 inches right before the game started.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a good game - You were unlucky Kycer; it would have been an easy win if your meltas hadn't missed and destroyed the railhead in the center.

Does anyboy know how effective fielding a single bike squad (With meltas, PF Seargeant, Attack Bike and led by a Chaplain of course :shifty: ) as a spearhead unit is, rather than fielding a whole army? If its truly as amazing as its made out to be, I may just have to rethink my force
    An Inquisitor walks into a bar...

++POST TERMINATED BY AUTHORITY OF THE INQUISITION++

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RAiN_the_FALLeN
    Does anyboy know how effective fielding a single bike squad (With meltas, PF Seargeant, Attack Bike and led by a Chaplain of course :shifty: ) as a spearhead unit is, rather than fielding a whole army? If its truly as amazing as its made out to be, I may just have to rethink my force
    I field a unit almost exactly like that one and I can say, it is a powerhouse. Of course I'm more concentrated to AI (Anti-Infantry) with mine and include two flamers and a HB instead of the meltas.

On most occasions, the firepower put out by the bikers rapid-fireing their twin linked bolters, flamers and HB just before the assault can lay waste to nearly half of a regular MEQ squad. Then, on the assault, the Chaplan usualy takes out the rest single handedly with his Initiative of 5.

But as it's been said, this type of squad is expensive and downright murder when losses start happening. That's why it's essential to keep them out of LoS as best you can and try to keep a full 5-6 man squad to take a hit or two.

Ultimately, this kind of squad is the mainstay of my forces, backed up with a heavy fire base of long range units, it gives my army a very potent mix of Close Combat and Firepower.

And just to give you guys ideas, a few tips and tricks I've learned to help with your bikes.

Bikers are great transport poppers. A five man squad with a Multimelta Attack Bike and flamers can do serious damage to transports.
    Ride up, pop the transport with the Melta then use the Flamers and the bike's default Frag grenades to toast any surviving troops that were trying to use the wreakage as cover.

Or, if that's not your thing, ride up, block the exits with your bikes and then use meltaguns or bombs to pop it and kill everyone inside. Also, you can turboboost them up around the hatches and use other AntiVehicle weapons to destroy it from afar, effectively killing the transport on the first turn and gaining the invunerable save to boot.

Equiping your sargent or even better both your sargent and Chaplan with teleport homers and bringing down Terminators right in behind your squad is downright scary. And with your Chaplan with a homer, he can detatch and move to a completely different area thanks to his Turbo boost and bring the Termies down on an unprepared flank. (Plus having your Chaplan join up with the termies to give them 12 Powerfist attacks that reroll misses is just plain nasty.)

All in all, bikes are one of my favorite units, they almost always pay back their point cost for me.
    People who don't know how to use artillery are using artillery, and that scares me. -TacJack
    Bring out the Bikes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by TacJack

Or, if that's not your thing, ride up, block the exits with your bikes and then use meltaguns or bombs to pop it and kill everyone inside. Also, you can turboboost them up around the hatches and use other AntiVehicle weapons to destroy it from afar, effectively killing the transport on the first turn and gaining the invunerable save to boot.
    I have a friend who plays this army and I need you to explain this tactic so that he doesn't try it on me. How do you manage to block the exit hatches despite not being able to move within 1" around it (during the move phase)? The only way I could see is to have a huge swarm of bikes blocking each hatch.

Oh and for stealths, read the tau codex. They always count as being in cover while being assaulted.
    Last edited by mephistophales; March 8th, 2006 at 08:00.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast