1000 Poitn Grey Knights Versus Chaos - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, last night I played my first battle with my Daemonhunter army. It was also the first time my opponent had fought against Grey Knights. Since this was also my first battle with the 3rd edition rules, we didn’t play any particular scenario, just a straight up meatgrinder.

Battle #1. 1000 point. Pure GK Daemonhunter army vs Slaanesh Chaos army

Terrain consisted of about 5 forested hills.
    -Turn 1
    Daemonhunters advanced forward. Dreadnought killed a couple chaos marines on a far hill with its lascannon and a krak missile. First blood to the Grey Knights!

Chaos noise marines on my left flank make some amazing shots and kill a couple of the advancing GK. Ouch, those assault 3 weapons hurt. I decided I had best take cover on that side.

Turn 2
    I advanced my GK yet again, but on the left I pulled more towards the center to get behind a hill so those pesky noise marines cant shoot me. My dreadnought again killed a few more chaos marines on the far hill. I also was able to add more casualties from storm bolters from my advancing terminators. The chaos fools, down to 2 models, fail their morale check, roll horribly for distance, and flee off the table!

Chaos moves his sorcerer and close combat troops close to the hill I am at the base of. He has 3 squads there, one close combat. I have a full terminator squad plus a ¾ strength GK in power armor squad. He shoots at my terminators, but they valiantly shrug off all the shots.

Turn 3
    I advance up the hill, engaging one of his squads with my terminators in close combat. Needless to say, the chaos squad is wiped out to a man with no losses to my terminators. My dreadnought and second (full strength) squad bring a second squad that was on the far hill down to one marine. The one marine stays, however.

Chaos summons a daemon pack, which attacks my wounded GK squad while his close combat squad engages my terminators. The GK squad holds its own against the daemonettes (each side loses 2) but is outnumbered and only the valiant Justicar is left standing against 6 daemonettes. I roll horribly for my terminators against his close combat squad (which also contains his sorcerer). All my terminators except the brother-captain are killed, while I only killed 3 of his chaos marines. Ouch. Next turn will be difficult.

Turn 4
    I move my second squad with inquisitor over towards my other units to try to help. My lone justicar from the first squad manages to kill 2 daemonettes while he himself perishes. Of course, the losses were too great for the daemonettes and they disappear into the warp! Thank the Emperor! I move my lone terminator (luckily not engaged in combat anymore) down closer to my second squad.

Chaos moves their noise marines around the hill, hoping to get a bearing on my dreadnought and fire next turn. The close combat squad assaults my lone terminator and my second squad. His sorcerer defeats my brother-captain, but not before the heroic captain inflicts 2 wounds on the sorcerer as he falls! The second squad fights off the chaos close combat squad, losing only one man while killing 2 of the traitors!

Turn 5
    My dreadnought kills one of the noise marines. I consolidate and move in the rest of my second GK squad into close combat and my inquisitor and grey knights decimate the chaos assault squad and sorcerer (My Initiative was higher, thanks to that sacred incense&#33

The Chaos player concedes the game. He has one injured squad of noise marines versus my dreadnought and a nearly full squad of GK with Inquisitor.

Thoughts: It looked to be a close game. Definitely the sacred incense worked wonders for me in close combat and was worth every point I paid to give it to each of my leaders. (40 points total). It allowed me to either strike before the chaos opponent or simultaneously, never after. The GK special for being shot at didn’t seem to help, but my opponent rolled well every time to spot me, besides the fact that I was deliberately attempting to close into close combat so was shortening the range. I spent a bunch of points on psychic powers and anti-daemon gear and never got to use it, as neither my terminator captain nor inquisitor got into close combat with the daemonettes before they became instable and left the battle. GK terminators all have S6 power weapons. If I hadn't rolled so poorly to hit, they would go through chaos marines like butter. As it was, the normal GK in power armor fought well and I was impressed with their close combat ability, even without power weapons as that S6 makes wounding on a 2+ vs T4. also, all GK have a WS of 5, so unless you roll poorly, hitting enemies will usually be a 3+. Very nice.

My army:
    -HQ: Terminator Brother-captain hero w/sacred incense, ungents of warding, and destroy daemon psychic power.(attached to terminator squad)
    -Elite 1: Inquisitor w/ anointed weapon, bolt pistol, articifer armor, sacred incense, ungents of warding, Scourging psychic power.(attached to Troop 2 squad)
    -Elite 2: Terminator squad, w/brother-captain w/sacred incense.
    -Troop1: Justicar w/sacred incense and auspex and 8 GK in power armor
    -Troop2: Justicar w/sacred incense and auspex and 7 GK in power armor
    -Heavy support: Dreadnought w/twin-linked lascannon and missile launcher, blessed, extra armor.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice Job&#33;
    And good battle report

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A victory for the valiant Deamon Hunters, Good work fellow Commander.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, sacred incense only the lowers the I of chaos models in base contact with the guy who has the sacred incense, not the entire squad.
    Good game, but you were cheating big time without knowing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, wow, long time ago I posted this. It was my first time with DH, so yes, I apparently made the mistake of having too many sacred incense. I caught it afterwards when I was playing with making other lists.

Also, sacred incense only the lowers the I of chaos models in base contact with the guy who has the sacred incense, not the entire squad.
    Good game, but you were cheating big time without knowing it.
    upmiller98, I&#39;m sorry but you are mistaken.
    DH codex, pg 18, Sacred incense "All Chaos models involved in an assault with a model equipped with sacred incense suffer a -1 to their Initiative". It says nothing about being in base contact, they just have to be in the same assault that the character with the incense is in. If a GM+retinue (and the GM has sacred incense) is in CC with 2 chaos squads, then both the Chaos squads have their I reduced by 1 even if they aren&#39;t in base contact with the GM. It&#39;s a very nice item.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very nice report and good job on clearing up that rules issue.
    &#39;No evil will escape the just punishment of rightenous&#39;

Closed Thread