IG Victory in 7-way Combat Patrol - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IG Victory in 7-way Combat Patrol

As a relatively new player (about a dozen games under my belt), I had my most exciting victory this week. At one of my local game stores, we had six guys play a combat patrol (we increased point totals to 500 pts).

The fluff was that the various factions had gathered for a peace conference, so the seven command squads started the mission on top of a tower in the middle of the board (negotiating terms). On turn one, things got ugly and the shooting commenced.

Players: Terranids, Space Wolves 13th Company, 2 Vanilla Space Marines, Chaos Marines, IG

I brought one platoon of IG infantry (two squads with one heavy weapon each and one special weapon each: 1st squad autocannon/grenade launcher, 2nd squad missile launcher/plasma gun). The command squad of the infantry platoon also had a grenade launcher. My command squad of my patrol was a heroic senior, medic, banner, normal guardsman. I also had one sentinal (autcannon with armored crew compartment) and 5 ratling snipers.

My most important roll of the game was for picking sides...I got the best terrain from which to defend...a corner of the table with 3 bunkers and access to a ruined building. I placed the ratlings in the building and my squads in the bunkers.

On the first turn, my command squad made a run for it. Fortunately, since I was not seen as the largest threat...the others began to mutilate each other in assault. On my first turn, my snipers killed a couple of Space Marines scouts who were emplaced on the top of a nearby building. Only one of my squads was in range from its bunker, so I took a missile shot which killed a space marine. The grenade launcher from my platoon cmd squad hit but did not kill anyone.

By turn two, the assault phase had wiped out a couple of the command squads. By far, the fiercest combatant was the leader of the 13th Company. My IG leader continued to fall back as he took heavy bolter fire from the Space Marine Scout Squad which had perfect observation and fields of fire on my command squad. The scouts inflicted two wounds on my cmd squad...although the medic pathed up one. Fortunately, another player's terminators routed the space marines later that turn. Meanwhile, my ratling snipers managed to pin a squad of space marines who were a threat to my bunkers...and my squads managed to pick off a couple of space marines as well.

By turn three, the vanilla space marine on my left flank was combat ineffective...with only one SM left on the board. The Terranid player and the 13th company were locked in mortal combat and the other half of the 13th Company had closed into assault combat with the Chaos Marines. My sentinal turned its attention to killing nids...knocking off two. My ratlings managed to take out 4 gargoyles. Under the covering fire of my ratlings and sentinal, my command squad managed to make it to the base of the building being utilized by my snipers.

By turn four, the Space Wolves were mopping up the board...having crushed the nids and ravaged several of the Chaos Marines. The remaining vanilla SM was taking shots at my ratlings...but the building proved the perfect cover...not one of my ratlings was killed the entire game...even though they were shot at every turn. The Chaos Marines were decisively engaged in assault for their lives. The Vanilla SM's terminators were caught in a crossfire between my ratlings, sentinal, and one of my guard squads. The terminators ran across the field attempting to break contact to no avail. By the end of the turn, only one survivor remained. The vanilla SMs managed to hit the bunker with my platoon cmd sqd...killing everyone but my grenade launcher. He passed his morale check...after all, where was there to run? He was in the best cover available...and was prepared to avenge his comrades. At the end of this turn, my command squad was finally under the cover of a ruined building, two floors beneath my ratlings. Finally, my leader had time for his subordinate units to update him on the situation...and he told them to "keep up the fire."

By turn five, the IG was looking invincilble. Under good cover and with excellent, interlocking fields of fire...dead space marines littered the landscape. The Space Wolves wiped out the remaining nids and finished off the remaining Chaos Marines...but at a terrible cost. Only four Space Wolves remained besides their leader...who was advancing toward the only remaining vanilla SM player...who had been heavily attritted by my forces. The sole remaining terminator advanced toward the building housing my command squad and ratling snipers...taking precise aim, my snipers killed him in a hail of fire.

Turn six. The remaining Space Wolves squad fired at my sentinal...achieving two glancing blows. On the first roll, my sentinal was shaken. On the second, it exploded in a fireball. The Space Wolves leader, already wounded in his previous encounters, assaulted the remnants of the Vanilla SM's squad...driving them from the field. He attempted to sweeping advance, but one survived. As a last ditch effort, the sole survivor achieved a hit on the Space Wolf leader, killing him. All that remained on the field of battle was four Space Wolves, a single vanilla SM...and over 80% of my forces. I suffered only 95 points of losses. I rolled to see if another turn would take place...it did not.

The IG emerged victorious...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Sounds really cool, and you must be a lucky man too outlive that tower escape!
    Although 2+ saves (terminators) are illegal in combat patrol, it sounded fun!
    -lurking in the shadows of LO.

Officially diagnosed by Tekore
    Melkhior, Necrarch Lord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As we all know being brave never wins fights, hiding in a tall building shooting from a looong way away wins fights

Sounds like a fun relaxing game for you and a lots of assaulty goodness for everyone else.
    Archaon's Top Tip for profiting from the End Time: Pillage before you burn

When I say jump you don't ask me 'How high?' maggot! You jump!

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Go ratling snipers!

gotta love those little guys when allowed to do what they do best! (sneaky long range pot shots!)
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Senior Member Shas'o Tau Dev'n Kauyon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Very cool. What prompted me to comment thought was your writing. It could use a little editing but all in all the descriptions were short AND effective.
    Keep writing batreps, I'll read 'em.
    Sig by:Knape, The Celestial, and Marlinspike, thanks guys!

+ Reply to Thread