1500 Point Battle - Grey Knights Vs Space Wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 point Grey Knights vs Space Wolves

Fluff:
    The Imperial commanders are aware that there is increased activity near the Eye of Terror. Something big might be coming soon, and the Space Wolves want to be ready for it. Therefore, the Space Wolf command has asked a nearby Grey Knights force to participate in a live-fire training exercise. The Grey Knights, under the direction of Inquisitor Lord Teleah Veritas and Grand Master Julius Potentes agree.

Grey Knights army list (mine&#33:
    Inquisitor Lord Teleah Veritas - Bolt pistol, thunder hammer, articifer armor, digital weapons, Scourging psychic power
    2 IG veteran henchman, one with hellgun and other with hell pistol and ccw
    1 gun servitor w/heavy bolter
    1 acolyte, Arron Shue, w/combi-bolter/meltagun

GK Grand Master Julius Potentes in terminator armor. Holocaust psychic power. With terminator squad

1 Terminator squad - GK brother-captain, 3 terminators, 1 terminator w/incinerator. Held in reserve.

Lyon Vark - Vindicare assasin

2 GK power armor troop squads. 1 Justicar each, 7 GK in power armor.

1 GK dreadnought w/twin-linked lascannons and missile launcher

1 Orbital Lance Strike

(I think I'm missing some wargear in here, don't have my army list with me, but it's close)

Space Wolves composition (basics, I never really knew his list): 3 predators, 3 rhinos, 3 squads of differing types of space wolves (in rhinos), 1 Callidus assassin.

Battlefield: A small ruined building in the middle, with a well. Hedgerow on GK side, some stone walls on SW side. Small hills on either end of the ruins (towards each player).

Turn 1:
    GK: GK get to go first. One GK troop squad advances to the nearby hedgerows and takes cover. The second troop squad advances towards the ruins in the center. The HQ squad maneuvers along the hill overlooking the building to get LOS to SW units.
    Luckily, the GK dreadnought has LOS to one of the SW Rhinos, although it is hull down. The dreadnought fires it's lascannon, striking the rhino.. and destroying it! In the explosion, 5 of the 10 SW marines inside are killed by the blast! All praise the Emperor! The dreadnought fires a frag missle at the marines as they leap out of the wreck, but the shot misses.

SW: SW tanks and rhinos advance into the hill on the SW side overlooking the ruins. The injured squad takes cover behind some nearby hedgerows on the SW side. They fire lascanon blasts at the GK dreadnought, first causing the crew to not be able to fire, then on the second shot destroying the dreadnought. (at least he did his job&#33
    The remaining shots from the other predators and rhinos slam into the GK squad behind the hedgerows. Despite the cover and their shrouding ability almsot half the squad is wiped out by the volleys of lascannons and autocannon fire. Still, the GK are Fearless and remain rock steady.

Turn 2:
    GK: Neither of the GK reserves arrive. GK second squad advances into the ruins, while the first squad attempts to consolidate and minimize its exposure to fire. Lyon Vark, the Vindicare assassin, steps out from behind the hill and fires his turbo-penetrator round at an unsuspecting Predator. While the round does not destroy the vehicle, it does destroy the powerful main autocannon. The HQ heavy bolter fires at a Rhino, and as with the dreadnought, the will of the Emperor prevails. The rhino is struck and immobilized.

SW: The SW vehicles remain on the hill, firing upon the GK troops in the ruins. The predators fire their weapons on the GK squad in the ruins, as do the SW marines that are on foot. The squad withstands most of the fire, only losing 2 models. Praise the Emperor!

Turn 3:
    GK: The GK Orbital strike arrives, but the terminator squad with Grand Master Julius are delayed as the sacred rites and blessings run long (arg&#33. The second GK squad takes cover in the ruins, as the first squad approaches into the hedgerow again to gain some firing positions. Due to great strategic planning, the orbital strike was plotted for the very hill that nearly the entire SW force was located. The strike is technically off-target, yet it deviated down the length of the hill. The great blast struck both a predator and a rhino still carrying troops. The predator's armor was penetrated, destroying it's autocannon. The Rhino's armor as well was penetrated, blowing apart the Rhino in a mighty blast! The resulting explosion killed 4 of the 10 SW marines inside the vehicle. The HQ heavy bolter then fired into the milling marines, killing 2 more, while the GK in the hedgerow fired as well, adding another SW casualty from that squad. The GK squad in the ruins fired upon the SW behind their hedgerow, but the cover prevented any deaths.

SW: The Callidus assassin appears in the midst of the GK HQ, attacking the Inquisitor Lord Teleah Veritas. She took 2 greivous wounds from the assassin. Taken by suprise, she was only able to land one wound on the assassin in return. The SW were in confusion on the hill from the ordinance blast, and the troops attempted to leave the hill, but the movement was slow and they barely left the terrain towards the ruins. The troops in the third (and last) rhino, exited the vehicle, having seen the fate of their comrades. The SW in the hedgerow left their cover and advanced towards the ruins. The SW predators and ground troops fired upon both GK squads, leaving squad 2 in the ruins with only the justicar, while the first GK squad in the hedgerow managed to shrug off their wounds. The SW engaged the lone justicar in an assault with several men. The justicar only managed to kill one enemy before he fell.

Turn 4:
    GK: Grand Master Julius and his terminators arrive, but they are far off target. They attempted to land right behind the SW hedgerow, but instead were back even further and inside a wooded hilltop. The Orbital strike falls again. This time it is a direct hit, moving only a little distance, again down the length of the hill, before landing on top of the last rhino, 2 predators, and of course, the troops that had just exited the rhino. Needless to say, the Emperor's might brought ruin upon the SW. The rhino and one predator were both destroyed, the second predator was immobilized, while the SW squad was reduced to only 3 marines remaining. A few of the GK terminators had a view of the SW that had killed the second troop justicar, and fired upon the squad, killing 2. The GK assassin moved out from behind his hill and fired into the SW commander with his shieldbreaker round, wounding the commander. The first GK squad falls back and assaults the callidus assasin, easily killing her while onyl losing one of their own.

SW command surrenders and forfeits the battle.

Resolution:
    GK lost a dreadnought, 1 justicar and his 7 GK squad (second squad), and 5 of 7 GK troopers (first squad), 2 wounds on the Inquisitor Lord.
    GK remaining: Entire Inquisitor HQ, Entire terminator squad w/Grand Master, 2 GK plus justicar in Squad 1, Orbital Strike, assassin
    SW lost 7 of 10 in one squad, 6 of 10 in another squad, 8 of 10 in a third squad, 3 rhinos, 1 predator, 1 predator was immobilized with a destroyed main weapon, and the 3rd predator had a destroyed main weapon, assassin, and 1 wound on commander.
    SW remaining: 3/10 marines in one squad, 4/11 marines in another squad, and 2/10 in a third squad (HQ), commander, 2 predators (both with only sponsoon lascannons and one immobilized on the "hill of death"). All but one of his troops (the 4 man squad) were on the "hill of death"

Notes: I got lucky with my glancing shot from the dreadnought the first turn, killing the Rhino and 5 men. I was also very fortunate with my orbital strikes. The SW player, not realizing the devastation a S10 AP 1 ordinance burst would do, lines his troops along the hill I had specified as my terrain. Also, every time it deviated (scatter or hit) it deviated one way or another along the hill line, thus still hitting his troops. I had been concerned at the beginning of the game because I had nothing except the dreadnought and Orbital strike to take out his vehicles with.

Luckily both did their jobs admirably, as befits the honor of the Grey Knights, thus proving that the Grey Knights are indeed the finest troops in the Empire!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just have one thing to say, those poor poor wolves. Nice Report though, gives me ideas for my wolves. What to look out for and such.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x4)

Very nice battle report. Thats some live firing excersise!!! Orbital barrages and all :lol:
    And what a Rhino slaughterer you are!

Your fluffraping hurts my eyes. - TehDarkPredator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, a wonderful report on the power of the mighty Deamon Hunters!

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok i'm always looking for an explenation for everything...
    Why have the Callidus assasin for the space wolves....?
    What, the inqusitor do something VERY bad to someone in connection to the priesthood of Terra?
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure why he took the Callidus assassin. My only thought was that most of his troops in the Rhinos were probably assault type troops and I think he was a mostly close combat army. However, the rhinos got hit fairly early and he didn't charge them forward to disembark their troops, so we never actually got into close combat (not that I think it would have helped him much... GK are really tough in CC having WS 5, S 6 weapons, plus 2 attacks each due to true grit). I think the Callidus was supposed to help him in battles to pop up in the back of the close combat or on any Devastator-type squads (sit back and shooty squads). Personally, I've been thinking of getting a Callidus myself for my GK. Since GK are so good in close combat, that added edge of an assassin suddenly appearing in the combat as well is intriguing.

Fluff-wise, it was a training exercise. Perhaps the SW commander had worked with this particular assassin before and the assassin agreed to participate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im space wolves and everytime ive played my friends GK's ive won. I know that there is still some luck in my rolls, but the space wolf army should have beat yours just because the SW outnumber you by at least 4:1. well anywayz nice battle report.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Numbers don't always equal a win, good strategy does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice report! You slaughtered those wolves!

KILL THE DEMON ! Purge THE DEmon!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast