Librarium Online Forums banner

IG v Dark Angels- first real 40k battle

848 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Orkimedes41792 
#1 ·
Me and a friend recently played 40k for the first time (preperly anyway)- im predominantly a WHFB player and he had never played 40k before at all (ive at least played a few times) it was a lot of fun, although im sure some of our interpretations of the rules werent exactly spot on!

The forces:

IG
Doctrines- Grenadiers

Command Squad
Senior Officer- Commissar- Medic

Infantry Platoon
Command Squad (junior officer, flamer)
Squad 1- Heavy Bolter, Flamer
Squad 2- Lascannon, Grenade Launcher

Stormtroopers- Grenade Launcher, Flamer

5 Ratlings

Leman Russ Battle Tank
Hellhound

Dark Angels

Chaplain
Librarian
5 Man HQ squad + Apothecary

Squad 1-5 Man Tac Squad- Missile Launcher
Squad 2-5 Man Tac Squad- Missile Launcher
Terminator Squad- Assault Cannon (Deep Strike)
Predator

(the points value was 'around' 600 points per side, we didnt take much in the way of equipment, although the apothecary had a resucitator (or whatever its called!)

terrain- A ruined monastary in the centre of the table, a handful of hills and trees scattered around the battlefield with assorted crates etc.

Set-up- the IG set up with Squad 2 on a hill on the right flankwith the snipers just in fron t of the lines amingst some crates and barrels, the Hellhound and Infantry Platoon HQ occupied the centre with Squad 1 and the Commander the other side of the tank. The Leman Russ and Stormtroopers took the left flank.
The DA set up with tactical squad 1 on the left,then the Predator and Librarian, tac squad 2 right of centre covering the monastery and the command squad with chaplain and medic on the right flank. The termies were kept in reserve ready to deep strike

SMs got the first turn.

Turn 1- the squad on the left grabbing a hill and the devestator moving up to the left of the monastery. The squad in the centre maintained their position and the HQ squad moved up on the right behind the cover of some trees.
The IG mostly stayed in position, but the two tanks advanced, with the stormtroopers advancing behind the Leman Russ towards a hill to their front.
Not much shooting as terrain blocked much LoS. The Predator opened up on the snipers with its autocannon, killing one of the little blighters (however it forgot to use its other weapons, a recurring theme from both players at te start of the battle!) The Leman Russ fired its battle cannon at the marine HQ squad, wounding two, one of whom was saved by the apothecary. IG squad 2 fired the lascannon at the predator who wasnt quite as concealed as he had thought, scoring a penetrating hit, kaboom tank destroyed!
the ratlings managed to pick off one of the marines from the squad on the let flank.

Turn 2- Rolled for deep striking, no show
the SMs advanced on both flanks again, the centre staying put, the librarian moved up taking cover behind the wrecked devestator.
the Hellhound moved up into the monastary shell, with the platoon HQ following behind it, on the left the Leman russ declared tank shock and drove up to the SM HQ who passed their leadership. The stormtroopers brested the hill ready to open fire on the HQ squad.
The SM squad in the centre fired on the exposed flank of the Leman Russ, scoring a penetrating hit with a Krak missile, another tank gone! the HQ squad fired on the stormtroopers, killing two of them. The stormies returned fire, managed just one wound, which was again saved by the apothecary!
IG squad 2 opened fire with its lascannon and long range lasgun shots on SM squad 1, killing two more marines- failing their leadership test the squad fell back.
The Hellhound fired its weapons at the librarian, taking off one wound.
In the assault phase the marine HQ and chaplain charged up the hill to take on the stormtroopers who were destroyed to a man! suddenly the IG left flank was dangerously exposed..

Turn 3- Terminators arrived...BUT trying to deepstrike too close to the table edge (close to the IG HQ) they scattered and with a roll of 11 dissapeared off the table!
the SM HQ raced forward, bursting out of cover close to IG squad 1, the chaplain moved away from the hellhound towards the IG lines and SM squad 1 rallied and moved back onto their hill- the IG platoon HQ moved up to the monastary and took cover ready to fire on SM squad 2.
the SM HQ fired on IG squad 1, killing two guardsmen. SM squad 2 fired on the Hellhound, shaking the crew with a krak missile. The librarian killed two of the guardsmen in the platoon HQ with his psychic powers.IG squad 1 fired on the SM HQ however failed to hit, Squad 2 also fired at them, causing two wounds, one of which was saved by the medic. The snipers, however killed another of the chaplains men. The IG HQ opened up on the SM HQ, killing another marine.

Turn 4- the marines continued their advance, with the HQ almost upon the IG. The librarian also moved up on the IG line. The hellhound drove at SM squad 2 causing tank shock.
the Hellhound immolated two marines with its inferno gun before killing another with its heavy bolter. IG squad 1 hit the librarian square on the chest with its lascannon, killing him. the snipers, squad 2 and the HQ squad fired on the Sms HQ squad, killing everyone except the Chaplain, who was left with one wound. SM squad 2, who passed their leadership test following the tank shock, fired at the hellhound with a krak missile, causing it to be immobilised and shaking its crew.
The chaplain charged into IG squad 2 carving up 3 guardsmen- the IG HQ then joined the melee, noone could touch the crazed marine though.

It was at this point that the marine player conceded- with only 4 marines and the chaplain left the battle was good as over.

so there you go, i probably missed out a couple of things but thats more or less what happened! i discovered how hard it is to kill marines with lasguns and how crap guardsmen are at CC. I was pretty lucky with what happened to the terminators because im in no doubt the marines would have won if they had arrived safely when they did and where! we both made mistakes but we had fun and next time we wont have to spend quite so long looking up rules!

See less See more
Reactions: darkreever
#2 ·
Yeah, having the Terminators send themselves off into the Warp was a nice break:shifty:

And no worries if the interpretations weren't spot on, you two were having a good time. Usually the group I play with will just roll a D6 to determine things when either the rules are murky...or when their understanding of the rules is murky, and they don't feel like grabbing the rule book.

Look forward to seeing another of your batreps! But for Emperor's sake...don't fight other servants of the Imperium, find some Xenos or heretics to burn:yes:

Chappie Caedfel

Blood Angels (solo) W:2 L:3 D:0
Blood Angels (on a team) W:1 L:0 D:0
Mega Battle: W:0 L:2 D:0

#4 ·
lol your very obviously a fantasy player. When you start saying things like firing lasguns at long range im not sure whether you're using that fantasy rule with -1 to hit. You also kept talking about left flanks being dangerously exposed. Thats not that harsh in 40k as it doesnt matter where they come at you from.

All in all a good report. Be mindful that since he lost his termies you had a 200 pts advantage over him. A pity about your russ, that could have done a lot of damage. Also how did it get saved by the apothecary? you ignore their save...

Always make full use of your doctrines, if you have a spare one get drop troops. Leaving 1 squad for deep-strike can help in most missions.

#5 ·
LordLink said:
lol your very obviously a fantasy player. When you start saying things like firing lasguns at long range im not sure whether you're using that fantasy rule with -1 to hit. You also kept talking about left flanks being dangerously exposed. Thats not that harsh in 40k as it doesnt matter where they come at you from.
Tactics, though much less advanced and far easier to deal with, play as much a role in 40k as they do fantasy. To have something such as an exposed flank in either game shows that there is a weakness that can be exploited by your eopponent. (Until you get to the part where your deliberately leaving opening that are actually traps...8))

Very good report, just shows that interpretation of the rules and plan W make for a better game than hard core strict following of said rules.

#6 ·
Thanks for the comments guys, its true we missed a few of the rules, but all in all i feel we follow most of them while still keeping a flowing game and having a lot of fun!

Lordlink- yeah the apothecary shouldnt have been able to save the marine as the battlecannon is AP3 isnt it- being a fantasy player i cant get through my head this whole ignoring armour saves thing yet! i'll know for next time :p
Thanks for the tip about drop troops- that may be a good idea..i do want to get rough riders though as they are more fluffy for the army i have

I learned a lot about what i should and shouldnt be doing with my IG, which will stand me in good stead for when i take them to the LO meet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.