Tyranids vs Inquistion [1850] - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyranids vs Inquistion [1850]

Played the first battle of what is supposed to be our first attempt at an ongoing campaign. The premise being that the that Hive Fleet is swarming over a shrine world, and the forces of the Inquistion are on hold to try and stop them. I played the Inquisition, my friend the 'Nids.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Inquistion Force:

HQ:
    BC w/Psycannon
    Retinue = 5 GK Terminators, 1 w/Psycannon

Troop:
    IST x10, 2 w/grenade launchers
    In Chimera w/MultiLaser, Heavy Bolter, Pintle Mounted Storm Bolter,Extra Armor)

PAGK x10 (Justicar has Teleport Homer, 2 of GK’s have Psycannons)

Elites:
    SoB Celestian Squad (1 Sister Superior w/Bolter, 3 Celestians w/Bolters, 1 w/Heavy Bolter, 1 w/ StormBolter)
    In Immolator w/Twin Linked Heavy Flamer, Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers

Ordo Malleus Inquistor w/Psycannon, Emperor’s Tarot
    Retinue = 3 Gun Servitors w/Heavy Bolters, 1 Mystic

Vindicare Assassin

Heavy Support:
    Land Raider Crusader w/Smoke Launchers

1 Dread w AC & ML, Extra Armor

1 Dread w AC & ML, Extra Armor
    -------------------------------------------------

Tyranid Force (approximation):

Winged Hive Tyrant (no shooty weapons, just cc)

6 Tyranid Warriors (not sure what their guns were, but all equipped the same)

Carnifex w/Venom Cannon & Twin Linked Devourer

Carnifex w/2 Venom Cannons

Genestealer x 12
    Genestealer x 12
    Genestealer x 8

Hormagaunt x30

Termagaunt x12
    Termagaunt x12

--------------------------------------------------------------

(Apologies for the poor description of the deployment and turn by turn..hopefully better next game)

Forest terrian, playing long edges, with me going first. My Grey Knights camp inside area terrain to my right side of the board, with one of the Dreads slightly ahead and outside of the terrain,

On the far right edge of the board, my Terminators get set up to march forward with a line of terrain shielding them to the left for almost 1/3 of the board, and directly facing the unit of 8Genestealers coming from the opposite side.

My Immolator takes the far left edge, with the Vindicare assassin infilitrating in the middle left as well, getting in position to pop shots off at the Hive Tyrant, who takes up cover in area terrain on the left side as well.

Center left is my other Dread, holding back to be sure he's nowhere in assaulty range, and my IST inside their Chimera, about 8 inches behind a line of rocks. On the other side of them was arrayed a long line of the two units of termagaunts, and behind them a unit of 12 'Stealers.

Center right is my Land Raider Crusader, neatly parked between area terrain and on the right, a hill where my Inquistor's Retinue sets up at the top. The other Carnifex and the Warriors lurk in area terrain on the other side, and behind and to the right of them are the last unit of 'Stealers.

-------------

All of his 'Stealers and Gaunts have scuttle and shuffle forward 6 inches before the start of the first turn, except for the center right unit of Stealers that hang back. I get a +1 to my Initiative due to a good roll on the Emperor's Tarot and win the choice to go first as well.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Turn 1

I move my Immolator, left side Dread, Chimera and my Terminators up. The IST disembark after the move, and sit tight, using the Chimera for cover.

Vindicare takes a shot at the Hive Tyrant, using one of his special rounds, but fails to wound.
    Terminators open fire on the 8 'Stealers, killing 6 of them.
    Right Dread, LR, and GK open fire on the Warriors, killing 3 of them.
    Left Dread and Chimera fire at the left most Stealers, killing something like 4 of 5 of them.
    I totally forget about my Inquisitor and crew, who don't do anything this turn.

Tyranid's gaunts and Stealers move toward, Fleeting even closer in the Shooting phase. His Hive Tyrant moves forward and to the other side of area terrain where my Vindicare can't see him. Afraid of losing all of his Synapse creatures on that side of the board, he moves his 2 remaining warriors deeper in the area cover behind the right Carnifex where I can't get LOS on them.

The 2 surviving 'Stealers on the right edge assault the Terminators and die horribly without inflicting any damage, my Terms consolidating a mighty 6" after the massacre, starting to swing back towards the center of the board.

His Carnifexs open fire, but fail to wound anything.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Turn 2

The IST's move forward, taking position behind the line of rocks for cover against the oncoming horde of gaunts and remaining stealers. My Terminators continue to move towards the center of the board, and my Immolator turns the corner around the area terrain, dropping off the SoB after the move, leaving the Vindicare to hoof it foward trying to get into position to have a clear shot at something.

The Immolator torches the Hive Tyrant and 2 of the termagaunts, killing the gaunts, but unable to wound the Tyrant. The Chimera and left Dread finish off the left unit of Stealers, and the IST start to whittle down one of the units of termagaunts.

The LR, Terminators, GK, and Inquisitor loose hell on the right Carnifex and take it down (barely!)

On the 'Nids turn, the Hormagaunts moved up, the remaining Carnifex immobilized my left Dread, and the 2 units of gaunts moved in and opened fire on my IST, killing 2 of them. The last unit of Stealers comes 1 inch shy of assault range of being able to charge my Terminators. (Praise the Emperor for that 1" on the Fleet roll!!) The Hive Tyrant flies over the area terrain, landing just to the left of my now immobilized Dread and then charging, but not managing to do any more damage. (Yet!)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Turn 3
    My Immolator comes in behind the gaunts and torches about 5 of them to death. My IST whittle down their numbers a little more, while the Chimera tries unsuccessfully to wound the Carnifex. The SoB manage to get 1 wound on the big critter, but the Vindicare, now in position, missed yet again.

On the right hand side, the Grey Knights move out of area terrain behind the Terminators and together they mowed through the last unit of 'Stealers.

In the Assault phase, the Tyrant annihilates my left Dread, and the resulting explosion kills more of my IST, who break and flee, eventually escaping off the edge of the board on the next turn.

NIDS! The remaining gaunts try to shoot up the Chimera, but fail. Showing them how it's done, the Hive Tyrant moves into close combat with my Chimera, destroying it. (boo!) The Warriors move out of area terrain to keep the hormagaunts with Synapse, and those same gaunts charge my Inquisitor. The kill 2 of the gun servitors, but in the bizarre turn of events, the Inquisitor kills 3 of them, and now having moved out of Synapse in the charge, the gaunts break and run. Meanwhile the Carnifex shoots at the SoB, killing 1 of them.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Turn 4

The GK and Terms blow holes through the remaining 2 Warriors, and the LR & Dread whittle down the hormagaunts some more, and they eventually flee off the board. The Immolator finishes off the last of the termagaunts, leaving the Nids with just the Hive Tyrant and the Carnifex on the board. The SoB and Vindicare try to take down the Carnifex too, but don't manage to do anymore damage to it.

Nids: The Hive Tyrant swoops in and destroys my remaining Dreadnaught. The Carnifex shoots at the SoB some more ineffectually.
    -------------------------------------
    Turn 5
    The LR moves forward, taking shoots at the Carnifex and managing to wound it once. The SoB and Immolator fail to do any more damage, but the GK and Terms kill the Hive Tyrant.

The Carnifex shoots at the LR, but does no damage.
    ---------------------------------
    Turn 6
    Try try all they might, the Inquisition can't kill the Carnifex, getting it down to it's last wound, but not delivering the deathblow. The Carnifex shoots at the LR, and charges it, causing it to explode and kill one of my Terminators as it went.
    ----------------------------------------------

I wound up winning by like 2200 points, including mission objectives. As I mentioned way up top, we're doing a campaign, so my guys got lots of experience, except for my destroyed units. The Nids...well, they're all in the negative exp at this point, except for the Carnifex who came out with 0.

Again, forgive the rambling of the report. We've got another game on Thursday, supposed to be a Recon mission, so we'll see if the Emperor continues to shine on his troops!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Commissar_Malevich's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that as long as the gaunts were in synapse during the beginning of their turn, that until their turn (movement) comes around again they still count as being in synapse. In all you did a good job however some pictures really would have helped as im a bit confused as how the terrain and lengths of the board played out seeing that his genestealers are taking such a beating when they shouldnt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, for the next game, definitely gonna try to put together some layout pics, just didn't have the board layout written down for the report this time. And from what he was telling me, as long as they have synapse for the start of their move they're fine, and even Fearless as long as they're in Synapse range, but they had moved outside of it for the attack, so no longer Fearless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nicely done dude thx for taking my suggestion.
    The gold grey knight man. These are hardy men who like cheese.

Ever thought of how cheese was found?:
    Brother captain
    `` I say sah, the milk in this barrel smells foul!``

Grand master:
    ``Oooohhh, give it a go!``

''Quack, damn you!''
    -Jamie heinamen, Mythbusters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well done, but witch hunters are way better than malleus against tyranids, they are specialized psyker fighters, and every synapse creature is a psyker.
    So next time you should try: Inquisitor or Inq.lord with power stake and hammer of the witches psy power. retinue: one crusader, two acolytes with combi-stake crossbows.
    More sisters mean more faith points to divine guidance shoots against fexes.
    The vindicare was unlucky this time, but he is a must against nids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm the nid player he soundly beat. Some corrections to my list:

Only 5 warriors, all with deathspitters, EC, Leaping, Rending Claws

My second 'fex had a Venom Cannon and a Barbed Strangler, not TL VCs, which may not be a bad idea for the future.

The last GS brood only had 7, not 8.

Only had 22 hormogaunts, not 30.

The termagaunt broods numbered 15 and 16, respectively.

The terrain was not in my favor, with long lanes of LOS and firing. Basically you could draw a 6 inch wide corridor from one short edge to the other that had no cover of any kind.

Yeah, the hormogaunts were more than 12 inches from a synapse creature, so they don't automatically pass Morale tests,

As for the stealer beatings, he had a dreadnought, immolator and chimera all target the stealers behind the screen of termas on his left side.. Pretty much nothing I could do but watch them die. This meant that the tyrant was free to fly over and kill what he could. MCs are better at killing vehicles than stealers, and he didn't have any troops popped out until he moved them out. On his right side, my unit of 7 stealers set up within LOS of his terminators, and he went first. He shot and killed 5 of them before I could charge him, then the 6 attacks failed any rendings. Bad luck. My last group of stealers I tried to play semi-cautiously, which was stupid of me. I had bad luck with that fleet roll, otherwise I would have ate me some terminators, as they would've reached them in sufficient numbers to do damage.

That mess with the carnifex at the end was just bizarre.

I learned that I needed to bring more heavy weaponish type thingies to the fray. MCs also do rather well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe running another Tyrant might help u out pelman. I'd take a winged Dakka Tyrant and see how that works for you. Also you seem alittle thing on synapse but I guess those larger broods of gaunts helps keep them in synapse. just my 2 cents good luck next time around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is quite a harsh list to play against as nids. Loads of veichles and loads of those damned Assault Cannons *shakes fist* How i hate them...

Firstly, the horms wouldnt of flee'd off the board. When they break they flee towards the nearest synapse creature i.e the warriors.

If i was you i would have made ur broods smaller, esp the horms and warriors. It'll make them more felxible and u can engage a few squads on the charge to block Firing lanes. You can also move ur warriors say on eachside of ur brood to make sure synapse is kept.

Break the warriors into 2 x 3 warriors and loose the deathspitters. Keep them cheap and purely CC so Leaping, Adrenal Glands (I), Extended Carapace, Rendering Claws, Scything Talons. U may want to consider buying another set aswell. I find 2 x 4 work with bigger games and / or some Flying warriors, 3 of them flying around with the tyrant and they can quickly go ripping up the tanks, even LR's.

I would trade some of the genestealers for some spinegaunts just to lead the assualt and take the flak as u work ur way up. With genestealers they are expensive and u feel every loss with them. 4 spinegaunts are going to last longer under fire than 1 genestealer and ur going to care less.

Also, loose the scuttle on the gaunts and stealers. Somepeople say they've had success with scuttling stealers where theres alot of terrian but they often just run ahead of the fodder and die. And on the gaunts it just makes them more expensive when they should be cheap bullet catchers.

Keep the barbed strangler on the carnifex. st.8 template shots will rip through infantry and u may want to also give it to ur other 'fex. Devourers range is too small (imo) to give to a carnifex. By the time hes slogged up the field to use it, most / all the infantry should be covered in a blanket of chitin. U didnt state wat biomorph u gave anything but keep ur carnifex cheap and leave him as a purly Gunfex, no CC morphs. (oh and i'd recommend Reinforced Chitin over extra carpace. +1W is going to be more usefull against all those rendering assault cannons then a 2+ save.)

There is also a debate on atm about whether there is any point in taking termagaunts over spinegaunts. Basically it boils down to terms are better vs marines, spines against lesser armoured troops. but considering he doesnt field many term-friendly troop, it might be worth saving the points. Uber-Horms are also debated (horms with toxic sacs and +I Glands). They are expensive but sheilded with normal horms and spines they can quite quickly get into comabt and rip through marines before they strike you.

When u next play, u need to make sure u kill that immolator as quickly as posssible. Its only a rhino so its not too strong but those flamers will rip through ur gaunts.

Dreads are going to cause u some grief, but if u leave ur stealers behind the gaunts u should be able to make it to them.

Good Luck with ur next battle, everything shall fall before the great devourer...
    "They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind, scratching, screaming, running, so many - so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh, body and soul!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

w00kie mentioned making the Guant broods smaller. If you do that I would high;y recommend making them "Without Number." Small broods can be wiped out in one round of enemy firing, but the "WN" skill will keep them coming back.

WN really helps in missions where your opponent must take/cross or do something into your deployment zone. They just keep coming at him!! True, he scores point each time the unit dies, but the points are very few.
    40K: Tyranid, Necron, Space Wolves
    Fantasy: Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Against this list the whole concept of 'meat shield' is useless. He lined up his vehicles against my stealers, and kept his most vulnerable troops next to said vehicles. The assault cannons and missile launchers killed the stealers, since vehicles can easily disregard the gaunts, while the regular troops and immolator made short work of the termagaunts. I have some thoughts on the matter, but as we're playing again tomorrow and he reads these forums, I don't really want to give anything away.

My warriors are kinda limited in what they can do as they're old school 1st and second edition guys. I don't have the bits to WYSIWYG them into CC monsters (mainly missing scytthing talons), and I don't really want to buy a box of stealers just for the bitz.

As for the WN comment, if he has a land raider or a dreadnought in my deployment zone, WN really isn't a good idea. Since this is a campaign where cumulative VPs over several battles matters, I don't want to give up any VPs.

I think I may lose the scuttle on the stealers, try to scrape up points for EC instead. We shall see. Today is my day for list changes and whatnot, so I'll be reading these forums pretty regularly today and tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast