2250pts virgin battle: SM vs Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

2250pts virgin battle: SM vs Tau

First battle, so first battle report. Be gentle plese?

The battle was with my friend. He fielded what he thought would pulverise my Marines. He tried to make an anti-SM army with:
    Higher Ethreal
    2 squads of 3 Crisis: all with Flamer, Fusion cannon and Multi-tracker
    2 groups of: 1 Fire warrior, 1 Kroot, and 1 Vespid squad
    1 Broadside squad (all with shield gen)
    2 Hammerheads
    1 drone squad

Whatever the pts cost that is. He didn't much care for a set costs becasue he said that he had made anaarmy which could eat mine for breakfast. Which was:
    Command Squad
    Librarian
    Powerfist
    Apoc
    Champ
    2 Plasma cannon
    rhino APC

2 long-range small tac sqauds
    plama rifle
    lascannon

1 CQC large tac sqaud
    powerfist
    flamer

1 Dread-lascannon&Flamer
    2 Whirlwinds
    1 Assault sqaud
    power fist
    2 plasma pistols

Termie sqaud with LRC transport
    2 assault cannon
    4 chainfist

RULES:
    Meat grinder
    Right...
    TURN 1
    Me first. Moved the whirlwind right behind two clumps of heavy cover. Between them is a single feasable entrance, which was guarded by the 2 small tac squads grouped together like a dev. The dread began weaving it's way through the cover (of which there was a lot on the battlefield). The Termies sat in the land raider and charged foreward The CQ tac and command sqaud moved in to the east (my left) to complement the Dread's movement. Kept my Assault marines in reserve.

At first I had no plan to shoot much, the field was long and no range would hit if they could for all the cover. As soon as they were able to, the Assault Marines would land right next to the Ethreal (which was there to fulfil the HQ req. and not do much else). Scouts moved as far into foreward cover (to the same side as the dread) as possible.

Him. He cursed my use of cover and surged foreward as far as he could to close te uge gap between us. Just what I was planning for him to do.

TURN 2
    Me. No movement. I waited, and fired a FotA attack from the Librarian, killing 3 fire warriors & 2 kroot.

Him. He closed the gap and fired his smart missiles at my Whirlwinds from his Broadsides.
    One got a hit which immobilised my tank (no complaints there) and the other a pair of 'crew shaken' results from glancing. Then he fired one of his Hammerhead's Railgun at my shaken Whirlwind, which (by luck) immobilised it too. Nothing else could reach me yet.

TURN 3
    Me. Barrage the Broadsides with the Whirlwinds (He fired at maximum range for his Missiles, so that was my guess). Not good rsults there, but the bullets he sweat were worth it. Then my Dev squad shot his hammerhead to pieces. Whirlwinds are placed perfectly so that they are each minimum range away from the gap in cover, and the dev sqaud is right to shoot at anything that enters it too. The Hammerhead's Railgun was destroyed. Then the Dreadnaught moved out, snaking its way to the closest Crisis suits. The scouts camped for a bit longer. The assault marines didn't come and the CQ squad ran forth to intercept the mass of enemy arriving from the east. The Land Raider then proceeded to lay waste to the Hammerhead intruder with it's assault cannon. Librarian fires again, this time killing 2 Crisis suits (fall back you bastards!) and some fire warriors.

Him. He was planning to use the Hammerheads and Broadsides to drive a strong centre and gut me while his two equal forces side flanked my remnants. But the ordnance barrage scared him into retreating as far back as he could, just out of range of my deathtrap. The east flank group was wary. Very strong but wary. The west came close enough to the Dread to fire at it. The venerable and extra armour worked well. Just shaken. His ethrealstayed still and the last hammerhead moved east.

Turn 4
    Me. Land raider runs forward and drops the Terminators out, who fire at the broadsides and kill all but 1. Snipers pop off some enemies, not many, but enough to annoy. The dreadnaught misses with its lascannon. The CQ squad geurillas its way to a corner with flamer and powerfist ready. Librarian fires shot at Hammerhead, who was being cheeky and backing up the ravaged eastern flank (it was the only side i've fored FotA at so far). Didn't do much, stunned (still ruined its chances of escaping).

Now if you're wondering why I didn't fire FotA at rhe Ethreal, it was because I couldn't afford to use it on a single unit. And the Assault Marines are STILL not here...

Him. Panic mode on. He rushes madly at my Command squad. The last full Crisis squad jumps into my territory (hee hee, stupids). And fire at my Rhino (the Command sqaud was behind it). The Hammerhead is hating me and the broadside has regained heroism for a turn and walks forward a bit. The Eastern flank is soon to die. His Ethreal runs a measely 6" from the Assault Marines and he's pulling his (already falling back) Crisis and Broadside back to save it (fat chance). He's so desperate right now that he willingly moves right into my CQ squad's next turn of movement...

TURN 5
    Me. AT LAST! THE ASSAULT MARINES ARRIVE! ON SPOT TOO! Thay all fire at that stupid ethreal. And all miss or save. Damn. The dreadnaught runs at full pace to charge the Hammerhead. Not far enough in movement, but assaulting is fine. One less hammerhead. (He let me use a special character custom Dread becasue he didn't see it as a threat). My CQ squad charges the Kroot after shooting the Vespid down to size, although they are to be shot at by a few Tau, they can handle it. Eastern Flank effectively gone. The Crisis suits in my territory are now modern art exhibitions. Now the Librarian can only fire at one set of targets while still being effective, the Tau on the Wast. Forcing them to fall back due to number loss. Snipers are shot down and are falling back. A whirlwind is dead thanks to a scattering shot (just hit it and what a shot). The Land Raider and Termies are being main characters and just pwning all in their vision.

Him. Dying. Heroically tries to kill my Termies, kills the sergeant and one chainfister, but the assault cannons are still there. Everything else is a crude and failing attempt to regroup.

TURN 6
    Me. The Assault Marines shoot the Ethreal to death after moving to the Broadside, then they assault it over cover (lose 3 to difficult terrain stop). The Dreadnaught is being fired on by the last suit and scored a deep hit to the pilot (worse then the first roll, but c'est la vie). CQ squad is eaten away by the Kroot and retreats. Scouts are back in action and shoot at west Kroot. Last whirlwind fires barrage at west flank, killing a few Vespid but missing many, The Land Raider has accidentaly dug itself into a hole. It can't fire on anything and neither can the termies. They move west where the bulk enemy is.

Him. No Tau are combat ready apart from the crisis and are running home. His vespid are finally let loose (he was keeping them with the other squads to help if anyone charges the groups (why charge 1 or 2 squads at 4?)). Now I have an infestation on my hands. They eat my Lascannoneers and a plasma gunner. Half my Dev squad is falling back now. Other half still going strong.

TURN 7
    Me. Termies and Land Raider rain lead onto the west kroot and kill them all. The Dev Sqauds are making the Vespid pay. The whole ordeal is too mixed up for the Whirlwinds to be of any use. FotA is useless too. THe CQ sqaud is rushing to the battle. Assault Marines are hunting the Crisis. It's a fast bastard and the only way to get in firing range is to goad it into Plasma Cannon or Terminator range.

Him. Pulls his still numerous Vespid back to attack the Whirlwind, which they destroy. Winning an assault against a 5 man squad really helped them to free up for shooting. Then they charge my Termies and hope for the best. It doesn't come.

TURN 8
    Me. Plasma cannons kill one of my own gunners and miss the Crisis. FotA can't hit it. CQ sqaud make Kroot extinct and the Termies put up a fight, but due to the worst dice rolls i've ever seen, they all die (damn). The Land Raider avenges their death and extinctifies the Vespid. Everything left is rushing foreward. The Scout is useless. The falling back Tau are being gunned by a very angry Land Raider, The Assautl Marines aree chopping heads off other Tau and the rest of My marines are just trying to move forward in a macho way.

Him. Gives up all hope. His Last suit has fallen and can't get up. His Tau are all but gone, and they are being shot at. No hope for him. But the fire warrior Squad nearest the Land Raider unfortunately regains some courage at last and makes a last stand.

TURN 9
    Land Raider Tank Shocks them Tau, then Shoots the bejeezus out of them with hurricane bolters. Assault Marines chop off the others' heads and proclaim it a glorious day for the Chapter.

I WIN!

Sorry if it's a bit hard to follow. Enjoy?

Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good for a battle-report. Next time you play however, you should maybe think about using the victory points system instead of 'play until someone is entirely dead'. It is not only a lot more realistic, it is more balanced and fun to see what rating you beat them by (minor victory, decisive victory, massacre, draw, etc..)
    "...a swarm of mechanised locusts sweeping over the land, stripping it bare of resources, bringing death and destruction to anything that stands in its path. Emperor preserve us against the predations of these so-called Orkish cults of speed!" - Cardinal Nomura at the Conclave of Hessen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x6)

(like a spy divulging national secrets)
    But I don't have those scenarios. I just have the basics photocipoed rom an original mk4 book. I'm searching for the missing pages though.

What are the victory points? Personally I like the Meat Grinder. Especially against the other SM players out there.
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that was well written and easy to follow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x6)

Thanks! Good to hear!
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Victory Points are used to determine the final results of a game. No matter what the mission is, you always gain victory points = to the amount of enemies destroyed. There are special rules on how that works in the rulebook (such as what counts as scoring units, and how many points you get for doing what to different types of units. You really need to get it or borrow it to know the full extent of the rules here). Also, depending on the mission, additional victory points are earned depending on the objectives of the game. Example, in a cleanse mission (the mission where you have to control table quarters) you get 25% of the games point total (like a 1500 points battle, so 375 victory points) for each quarter or section you have under your control, without any scoring enemy units contesting it, you get 50% of the games total point value for the enemies starting quarter/section. In Recon, you get the standard killing victory points on top of the points equal to how many points worth you have in the enemy's deployment zone at the end of the game. It is complicated to explain everything here, and probably against the forum rules, but it makes games much more enjoyable than just playing 'til one of you dies. Check it out.
    "...a swarm of mechanised locusts sweeping over the land, stripping it bare of resources, bringing death and destruction to anything that stands in its path. Emperor preserve us against the predations of these so-called Orkish cults of speed!" - Cardinal Nomura at the Conclave of Hessen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very nice and easy to read and understand
    WOLVES OF THE FELLBLADE........CHARGE!!
    SONS of RUSS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only rule problem i see is that when a imobalized tank suffers an imobolize role it counts as arment destroyed. So you should have lost the whirlwind on turn 1. Other wise great battle report.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*My CQ squad charges the Kroot after shooting the Vespid down to size*

i thought if u shot at a unit, u cant charge another unit thats in range. I thought u had to charge the squad u shoot. i am probably wrong though...
    i am alpha and omega.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, you're right. You have to charge the unit you shoot at... s'what comes of playing with photocopies rather than actually having the whole rulebook.

+ Reply to Thread