1850 points - Chaos versus Tyranids / Seek and Destroy - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

1850 points - Chaos versus Tyranids / Seek and Destroy

A quick game I convinced a friend of mine help me play. The Tyranids were proxied mostly, since I'm testing out a few ideas before I commit to an army. Sorry, no pictures, as the wife had the digi-cam for the Tom Cruise event upstate. You'll have to settle for battle map pics. I played the 'Nids, and let my friend play my Alpha Legion.

Army lists as such -
    Alpha Legion, my pride and joy.

HQ: 162
    Elite: 210
    Troops: 648
    Fast Attack: 340
    Heavy Support: 490

Chaos Lord
    Mark of Chaos Undivided; Infiltration; Furious Charge
    Darkblade + CCW; Daemonic Speed; Daemonic Aura; Daemonic Strength
    Spiky Bits; Frag grenades

Obliterators X3

10x marines
    MoCU; Infiltration
    2x Meltagun; 7x Bolt Pistols/CCW
    Champion
    Powerfist

10x marines
    MoCU; Infiltration
    2x Meltagun; 7x Bolt Pistols/CCW
    Champion
    Powerfist

6x Marines
    Infiltration; MoCU
    2x Plasma Gun; 4x Bolters

6x Marines
    Infiltration; MoCU
    2x Plasma Gun; 4x Bolters

8x Raptors
    Infiltration; Furious Charge; MoCU
    4x BP/CCW; 3x Meltagun
    Champion
    Power Weapon; Daemonic Strength; Mutation

8x Havocs
    Missile Launchers
    Tank Hunters; Infiltration; MoCU
    Champion

8x Havocs
    4x Autocannons
    Tank Hunters; Infiltration; MoCU
    Champion

And the Tyranids list, as such.

HQ: 409
    Elites: 306
    Troops: 920
    Fast Attack: 36
    Heavy Support: 178

Hive Tyrant
    2x Scything Talons; Wings; Warp Field; Adrenal Glands (I); Toxin Sacs; Toxic Miasma

Broodlord
    Toxin Sacs; Extended Carapace
    6x Genestealer Retinue:
    Extended Carapace

Lictor

Devilfex
    2x Devourers; Enhanced Senses

Devilfex
    2x Devourers; Enhanced Senses

8x Genestealers
    Extended Carapace; Scuttlers

8x Genestealers

8x Genestealers

8x Genestealers

8x Genestealers

1x Spore Mine
    Bioacid

1x Spore Mine
    Bioacid

1x Spore Mine
    Bioacid

Gunfex
    Barbed Strangler; Venom Cannon; Enhanced Senses; Extended Carapace

Deployment -
    Pretty standard, really. The only piece of Alpha Legion that deployed at the start was the Obliterators, who elected to not take their Deep Strike option. The rest infiltrated. The Tyranids deployed pretty standard, really, as close as they could, saturating the middle of the board so they could quickly respond to wherever the Alpha Legion decided to set up.

The Alpha Legion elected to perform a Refused Flank option, keeping themselves in a corner to maximise the amount of shooting time they had before the 'Nids were upon them. Havocs deployed up on the hill, with other units set down below to hopefully stop the rush as they came in.

After deployment, the Genes all scuttled towards cover, three full squads taking shelter in the ruins at the river banks. Two other units took shelter to the West and waited to skitter towards the safety of the woods.

Picture after deployment

(Note about the pic - scales are a bit off, as it's hard to get it right. Not using Movement arrows, so just use your imagination. The four units off to the far right are waiting in reserves.)

Alpha Legion won first turn.

Turn the first (Chaos)!
    Not much for movement. Obliterators moved to the West five inches to catch up with the bulk of the army. Raptors moved East to block Line of Sight with the woods.

Obliterators started off the firing phase by targeting Genestealer Brood #5, opting to use Heavy Bolters. Living up to their usual performances with Heavy Bolters, they only managed to wound two Genestealers, one of which made his cover save.

Alpha Troops #3 could barely see Genestealer Brood #1 and opened fire, but didn't manage to kill anything. One plasma gun threatened to over heat, but the power armour barely saved the marine from the cloning vat.

Havoc squad #2 fired with their Autocannons into Genestealer Brood #1, causing four wounds, all of which were saved by cover.

Havoc Squad #1 launched four Krak Missiles at Elites #2 (Devilfex), managing to cause three wounds on the beast.

Turn the first (Tyranids)!
    Tyranids started off strong. Losing only a single model to the Alpha Legion's firepower was a great morale booster, and made me extremely thankful I decided to take cover. The Genes all made a break for it, trying to make it to the next big patches of cover.
    The Tyrant moves to support the Genes that will be heading towards the woods, and the Fexes move up to try to get in range.

Shooting was ineffectual, but that's to be expected. Both Devilfexes were long out of range, and the Gunfex managed to hit with only his Barbed Strangler upon Havoc Squad #2. The Large Blast template managed to catch six in it's effect, killing two of them. The Genes fleeted, and everything scored greated than four inches, except for Brood #1 which barely moved and got caught out in the open.

Due to a good placement, Brood #2 was within assault range of CSM #3. CSM were using cover, so had first strike, but didn't manage to get anything past the Extended Carapace of the Genes. The 'Stealers struck back, but out of 24 attacks, only one rend. However, the remaining five Marines all died to basic attacks. The Genes, scoring a Massacre, managed to consolidate a whole one inch, and elected to find shelter in the woods.

Battle Map of after turn one

Turn the second (Chaos)!

Things were looking grim already. Barely a single turn had passed and Chaos had already lost an entire group. Granted, they were a speed bump group, but a group none the less.

Obliterators moved to the West to keep LoS blocked from them and the Gunfex. Instant Death was not appealing to them. The Raptors made a suicide attempt to take out the Hive Tyrant before it charged them, and the Lord readied himself to get killed in a flurry of Claws by joining up with CSM Squad #2.

Shooting phase consisted of the Lord fleeting towards CSM #2, and a load of shells being blasted towards the dangerous Genestealer broods. Obliterators started off again by Heavy Boltering Brood #5, killing three and putting the brood at 50%. CSM squad #1 fired Bolt Pistols and Meltaguns into Brood #3, killing three altogether.

CSM squad #2 repeated the process upon Brood #2, managing to also kill three. CSM squad #4 was going to Rapid Fire, but decided not to risk destroying any chance of a successful charge from CSM #2, so instead decided to fire long range plasma upon the Tyrant. Both missed, and one even managed to over heat and kill the wielder. The Bolters did nothing.

The Raptors unleashed white hot Melta death upon the Tyrant, scoring two wounds, but the Invulnerable save of the Tyrant saved one.

Havocs came next, with the Autocannon havocs targeting Brood #5, leaving only a single Genestealer left alive. The Missile Launchers locked onto the hurt Devilfex, managing to knock off it's last wound.

Assaults next. Raptors charged the Tyrant, CSM Squad #2 charged Brood #2, and CSM #1 charged Brood #3. CSM Squad #1 took three rends right off the bat, but only managed to kill two in return. The Tyranids player laughed as the Chaos player rolled three ones and a two for his Powerfist Champion. They lost the assault, but easily passed their morale check.

CSM Squad was up next, charging at a unit in cover. The Lord had Frag Grenades, so struck at the same time. The Lord took one wound via rend and one more regularly, but managed to kill only two in return. The Marines killed off the rest of the Brood, only taking a single kill in return. One Brood down, four more to go.

Between the Hive Tyrant and the Raptors, the Tyrant was able to strike first and ripped apart four Raptors with it's mighty claws. Distraught and not expecting them to live long enough for a hit and run, the Chaos player took off the 3x Meltagunners, leaving only BP/CCW Raptors and the Champion. The massed number of Chainsword attacks took off one more wound from the Tyrant, and in an amazing display of skill, the Champion caused a whopping four wounds with it's power sword. Though the Invulnerable save managed to stave off two of those wounds, the might Tyrant fell, defeated. (You should've seen me - I don't think I've ever been pissed off at and proud of my Raptor champion at the same time...)

Map of battle after Chaos Turn 2 - See the Carnage?!?! (Note - the hills are missing due to the format of the picture. They're actually still there in game.)

Turn the 2nd (Tyranids)!

Things were looking a bit grim for the Tyranids already. Hopefully the Reserves would change a few things. A few good rolls showed two of the three Mines showing up along with the Lictor. The Lictor appeared near the Chaos Lord, hoping to score a quick wound and easy Victor Points off of him. The Spore Mines landed near the Havoc Squads, hopefully trying to make them break or pin them. One spore mine drifted far too the South, but the other landed dead on and caught four under it's blast, managing to kill three of them, leaving only 3 Marines with Autocannons. The Marines managed to pass their Morale check and not flee.

Movement phase consisted of just the Stealer Broods moving near their targets and the two remaining Carnifecis finding cover. The Gunfex managed to find a small spot where it had Line of Sight to the Oblits.

Shooting phase was mostly uneventful, having only the Gunfex with a valid target. Only one Venon Cannon shot hit, but it was deflected by the Oblits armour.

Assault moves consisted of Brood #1 charging the Raptors, Brood #4 charing CSM squad #2/Lord, and the Lictor moving into base to base contact with the Lord. The lone 'Stealer of Brood five joined in the assault of CSM squad #3.

Three more Marines in CSM squad #1 died to Rending, but armour saved them from the rest. The Marines struck back, but only the Powerfist managed to kill anything, claiming two more Tyranids from Brood #3. The high leadership of the Champion allow the Marines to stay in the fight.

Brood #1 hit the Raptors, but the Raptors claimed cover. They cut down half of them, with the Champion claiming three more kills for his scoreboard. The Genes scored two kills with Rends, but no more. They lost the assault, but easily pass their morale check.

The Lictor clashed with the Chaos Lord, both striking at the same time. The Lictor scored only one Rend, but that was all that was needed to kill the Lord. Until I remembered about the Invulnerable save, which he promptly passed. The Chaos player laughed, commenting about how his luck was turning, but I then pointed out the one regular hit the Lictor scored. The Lord did not make that armour save, and died. In shame, the Lord only managed to deal one wound upon the Lictor.

Brood #4 clashed with CSM #2. Only one Genestealer paid the price for assaulting into cover, and they retaliated with four rending kills and five regular kills, completly decimating the entire squad. At the end of the turn the Raptors made a Hit and Run move away from the Genes (Not shown in pic).

Map of battle after turn 2 finished

Turn the 3rd (Chaos)!

Things were turning ugly and bloody, and fast. The Oblits moved towards the remaining Devilfex, intent on claiming Victory Points for it. The Raptors were a bit shy now, with only the Champion and one gribbly left, so opted to play it a bit safer at the moment.

Shooting consisted of the Raptors blasting the Spore Mine away with their Bolt Pistols before it could disrupt Priority checks. CSM squad #4 rapid fired into the Lictor, managing to kill it with Plasma fire. With them out of the way, the remaining Autocannons turned on Brood #4 and killed off four of them. The Missile Launcher Havocs managed to kill one more from the same Brood. The Obliterators fired Lascannons at the second Devilfex (Elite #3), but only managed to hit with one shot.

The assault phase was short lived, with only one Marine from CSM #1 being killed and the Champion finishing off Brood #3.

Turn the 3rd (Tyranids!)

Reserves brought the last Spore Mine, thanks to the Pheremone Trail, but it scattered far away from it's intended destination (on top of the Raptors). It was dangerously close to the Missile Launcher Havocs, however.

In the shooting phase, the Gunfex fired upon the Oblits, managing to miss with all of it's firepower. The Devilfex fared a bit better, managing to cause six wounds upon the Oblits, but all of them were saved by armour.

Genestealer Brood #1 assaulted CSM #4, bringing us to our most boring assault ever. The Genes killed only a single marine with no losses. The Marines barely pass their Morale check.

What was left of Brood #4 assaulted the Autocannon havocs, managing to kill one through normal fighting and no rends. One Havoc manages to kill off one of the Genes by clubbing it with his giant gun.

Quite a dissapointing phase.

Map of turn three

Turn the 4th (Chaos)!

No movement to speak of. Shooting was a bit better, with the Missile Launcher havocs firing upon the Devilfex and causing but a single wound. The Oblits, having moved into Rapid Fire ranged, opened up with Twin Linked Plasma death. Three wounds were caused, destroying the giant beast. The Raptors tried to fire upon the Spore Mine, but didn't manage to hit it.

Assaults were mostly conclusive, finally. The lone Genestealer from Brood #5 was finally cut down after failing to hit anything. Brood #4 killed one more Autocannon havoc, leaving but a single Marine left of the squad. Unsurprisingly, the Havoc did not finish the last 'Stealer off, but holds his ground.

Brood #1 continued it's efforts against CSM Squad #4 in the woods, managing to kill two more Marines with no losses suffered. The CSM squad manages it's test, even when outnumbered 2:1.

Turn the 4th (Tyranids)!

The Spore Mine scatters six inches to the North West, barely missing the ML Havocs. No other movement occured. The Gunfex actually hit with something, but the single Venom Cannon shot wasn't enough to get past an Obliterator's armour.

The Assault between Brood #4 and Havoc #2 went nowhere, with neither side being able to wound the other. Brood #1 managed to kill one more Marine of CSM Squad #4, leaving only a single survivor. The Morale check rolled two fives, but sadly, he need a four to remain in the fight. He did not live long enough to run away, as the Genestealers ate him as he turned his back.

Map of battle

Turn the 5th (Chaos)!

The Raptors moved to help finish off the 'Stealer plaguing the Autocannon survivor, while the Oblits moved nearer the Gunfex. CSM Squad #1 took cover.

The Missile Launchers fired upon Brood #1, but cover prevented any kills from the Missile Launchers. However, the Bolters managed to kill one Genestealer. The Obliterators used twin linked Plasmas against the Gunfex, and took off three wound thanks to some fancy Twin Linking rerolls.

In the assault phase, the Raptors charged the remaining 'Stealer in Brood #4, but they were not fast enough to save the lone man from a swift Rending attack. The Champion claimed revenge, however, and struck the beast down.

Turn the 5th (Tyranids)!

The Spore Mine scattered towards the Havocs, catching three of them under it's template, but no wounds were scored.

Shooting phase was again worthless, as the Gunfex managed only one hit that again failed to pass armour.

Brood #1 valiantly assaulted the Raptors, hoping to finish them off quickly. The nameless Raptor died to an unlucky Rend hit, but the Champion passed four armour saves to keep himself alive. In response, he killed a Genestealer for their trouble, then made a Hit and Run move to break away from combat.

Map of the battle at end of turn 5

Turn the 6th (Chaos)!

Nearing the end of the battle, Chaos tried it's hardest to remove the last remaining units from the table. The Raptor Champion moved to somewhere mostly safe in hopes he could survive the fight, while the Oblits moved closer to the Gunfex.

The Missile Launcher havocs opened up upon the Stealer brood, smashing two with Missiles and one with their Bolters, wiping out the brood. The Obliterators rapid fired Plasma Death upon the Gunfex, taking off another three wounds and frying the creature to naught but a charred remain.

Map of the field at the end - notice the lack of blue

End Result -
    Chaos VPs - 2305
    Tyranid VP - 1121

Result - Solid Victory for Chaos (2% shy of Crushing, darnit!)

Lessons Learned -

1) Scuttlers is amazing. Being able to march right into that cover before the first shots were fired saved me almost an entire squad due to passed Cover Saves. Never leave home without it.

2) Genestealers are not unbeatable. I made the mistake of thinking that a single Brood would be able to take out a squad - silly me. Next time, I'll have to double up squads to make sure they survive and move on to the next batch of food.

3) Did you see what that Raptor Champion pulled off? He almost single handedly took out the Tyrant on his own! And then survived to the end of the fight! He's getting promoted to "Super Bad Ass."

4) The Lord, however, failed to deliver, and is being demoted to "Weakling." Gotta admit that the move the Lictor pulled off was pretty slick.

5) I recently had upgrade the CSM squads from eight men to ten, and it payed off. The two extra guys were a wise investment.

6) I think I'll be dropping the 'Fexes from the Tyranids list. They just don't seem to work right. The Gunfex would have been nice if he had bothered to hit anything, but the Devilfexes only got off one shot between the two of them and then promptly died. In a list that is designed to get into combat fast, lumbering fexes with short ranged weaponry is bad.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x1)

I actually take winged warriors in my army to work with my winged tyrant. He is powerful, but engaging a full squad of Marines can be painful. Three or four winged warriors supporting him makes a really big difference.

I definitely prefer heavy support carnifexes. Gunfexes can hang back, but if you have three heavy support carnifexes I would take at least one with extended carapace. I prefer two myself. between them and my walking hive tyrant I can create a moving wall to protect genestealers and warriors.

The broodlord is neat, but I much prefer a walking tyrant. Give him three guards and make him shooty. All those wound with that toughness ensures that the enemy is going to have to dedicate a lot of effort to getting rid of him.

Also, what did the broodlord do? Was his group Brood #1 or am I loopy in not seeing him in the battle?

Genestealers are very fragile. When they get hit by shooting (even with extended carapace), you will lose them in droves. They are good at CC, but I actually seem to go for tyranid warriors before I take genestealers. The way I take both it is pretty much two genestealers or one warrior. However, the warriors retain their fighting power longer, are synpase, and do great at avoiding rapid fire range due to leaping. It looks likes a guarenteed 12" charge might have helped you during this game. About retaining their fighting power, I mean this: if you cause a wound to a genestealer brood, there goes a genestealer. A warrior brood is pretty much unaffected by a single wound. Also, warriors do better when caught by blast templates.

One thing I noticed is that the Tyranids were always rushing forwards as fast as possible. It works best if you move forward like a wave and carefully try to avoid rapid fire. At the last moment the faster broods rush out to engage in CC and start tying up the enemy. Some heavy support carnifexes help here, making that moving wall for your fragile assault units to use.

Lictors are very fragile. They work going after single characters (though usually not so powerful as that lord), but are best for hitting stuff like Tau battlesuits, IG heavy weapon teams, or vehicles. I have used them against dreadnoughts with some luck. However, using them against a havoc or devastator squad takes some luck and careful planning. You have to barely engage the squad. You are either trying to hit a few and run, thus avoiding the powerfist, or else trying to snipe the powerfist out by managing the danger zone for CC.

Nice report with the maps. It really helps examine the battle. I think I got the symbols matched to their units, but a symbol legend would be a good addition.
    Tyranids: Hive Fleet Kohr-Ah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Badmovies.org
    Also, what did the broodlord do? Was his group Brood #1 or am I loopy in not seeing him in the battle?
    I forgot to deploy him, and didn't realize it until days later, after I created this battle report. I attribute my sound beating because I forgot to use the Broodlord and his retinue. <Nods>

Quote Originally Posted by Badmovies.org
    Nice report with the maps. It really helps examine the battle. I think I got the symbols matched to their units, but a symbol legend would be a good addition.
    Aye, I realize that now. Basically, if you count down the list, each squad is numbered. So the first Stealer Brood is #1, and so on. I should have explained better, apologies.

Next time, I should have my camera back and avaliable for use.

Thanks for the tips. I have a thread going in the 'Nids forum, and I'll take your advice along with what I've learned there.

Outcast Shinigami thedrifter777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Pictures a little unclear but I really liked the detail of the report.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caluin
    Lessons Learned - [/B]
    2) Genestealers are not unbeatable. I made the mistake of thinking that a single Brood would be able to take out a squad - silly me. Next time, I'll have to double up squads to make sure they survive and move on to the next batch of food.
    Humm, your dice karma just must not have been in balance. A squad of stealers like yours should easily be able to either destroy the squad, or kill enough models to catch a sweeping advance.
    3) Did you see what that Raptor Champion pulled off? He almost single handedly took out the Tyrant on his own! And then survived to the end of the fight! He's getting promoted to "Super Bad Ass."
    That champion was sure belssed by chaos o.0
    6) I think I'll be dropping the 'Fexes from the Tyranids list. They just don't seem to work right. The Gunfex would have been nice if he had bothered to hit anything, but the Devilfexes only got off one shot between the two of them and then promptly died. In a list that is designed to get into combat fast, lumbering fexes with short ranged weaponry is bad.
    This surpised me the most. I suppose since your going for the fast combat they may not have a place, but don't give up on fexes so readily. That alpha legion list (which is one of the best lists i've ever seen btw) didn't trouble you with tanks, a place where gunfexes shine and really help out your forces. Devil fexes too can eat skimmers alive. Plus some armies that have to charge you the short range of the devourers will be made less apperant. Not to mention that dakkafexes, for only a 113pts, a really a safe investment, even if they only take fire since they are cheap compared to the amount of damage they can take.

The other thing I notced was that those spore mines didn't seem to do much for you. If you are bent on a fast hitting force, than raveners are a much better choice. At any rate I enjoyed the report and hope to hear more.
    "Dare to be Naive"

If someone helps you, or you just like what they say, rep them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice battle report, effective use of the map diagram. It brings a tear to me orky eyes...
    "...a swarm of mechanised locusts sweeping over the land, stripping it bare of resources, bringing death and destruction to anything that stands in its path. Emperor preserve us against the predations of these so-called Orkish cults of speed!" - Cardinal Nomura at the Conclave of Hessen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice battle report, but where are the Tom Cruise photos?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second that :shifty:
    "...a swarm of mechanised locusts sweeping over the land, stripping it bare of resources, bringing death and destruction to anything that stands in its path. Emperor preserve us against the predations of these so-called Orkish cults of speed!" - Cardinal Nomura at the Conclave of Hessen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by idinos
    Very nice battle report, but where are the Tom Cruise photos?!
    She didn't even end up taking any! Used the "I was too busy actually working to take any photos" excuse. Psh.

Quote Originally Posted by thedrifter777
    The other thing I notced was that those spore mines didn't seem to do much for you. If you are bent on a fast hitting force, than raveners are a much better choice. At any rate I enjoyed the report and hope to hear more.
    The one Spore Mine did quite a bit, killing off three Havocs. The other two sort of were lackluster, but I figure if one out of three does a good job, that's about right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Nice battle... it's hard to tell which side you were hoping to win...

The battlemaps seem to be working nicely, good work.

BTW have you used that terminator arm I gave you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel1990
    Nice battle... it's hard to tell which side you were hoping to win...
    Well, I expected the Tyranids to win, and was surprised when they didn't, but in the end it doesn't matter so long as a good time was had by both. My friend was a bit upset because I kept holding up the game to take down good notes, but over all it was a very fun game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel1990
    BTW have you used that terminator arm I gave you?
    Yes, actually! I recently placed it on my Raptor Champion, which represents his Mutation and Strength gifts. Pics of him will be up in the next few weeks or so.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast