[1500] Trip Report: Necrons vs. Black Templars, with pictures - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[1500] Trip Report: Necrons vs. Black Templars, with pictures

Driven into a deep depression subroutine by their loss to the World Eaters, the Necrons land on a quiet frontier world to sulk. It is a human-occupied planet, an ice world that has been cut off from the Imperium for centuries. The Necrons cultivate worship from the locals and even find some candidates for transformation into Pariahs. But their hearts just aren't into it.

Meanwhile, great battle cruisers draw near. The Space Marines have found another lost world that has strayed from the the Cult Imperialis. They will be won back with the reason and level-headed discourse that is the trademark of the Astartes. All that stand between them are the long-suffering space skeletons. It's a loser leaves town match in...

TRIP REPORT: NECRONS VS. BLACK TEMPLARS

Secure and Control, 1500 points, but just barely. I have to bring the Homestar Runner proxies out of mothballs for this one. For my 1500 list I add a third squad of Warriors, a wing of four Destroyers, two Tomb Spyders (Mr. Clamps and Mr. Snips) and some more wargear for my Lord.

NECRONS:
    HQ - Necron Lord (Destroyer Body, Nightmare Shroud, Phylactery, Solar Pulse, Warscythe)
    Elite - 5 Pariahs
    Troops - three squads of 10 Necron Warriors
    Fast Attack - 3 Wraiths, 8 Scarab Swarms with disruption fields, four Destroyers
    Heavy Support - 2 Tomb Spyders, with particle projectors

BLACK TEMPLARS (going by memory):
    HQ - Emperor's Champion, and Marshal (power weapon, adamantine mantle, holy orb of antioch, crusader seals)
    Elite - 6 Assault Terminators - 4 with thunder hammers, 2 with lightning claws
    Troops - two distressingly huge Crusader squads, decked out with plasma guns and power fists
    Fast Attack - One big assault marine squad, sarge holding a power fist and combat shield
    Heavy Support - Predator Annihilator (lascannon sponsons), Predator Destructor (heavy bolter sponsons)

My side

His side

The warrior squad on my lower right is inside of that bunker. They're just standing on top of it for convenience. I'm staring at two big crusader squads one led by an Emperor's Champion, and one led by a Marshal packing a Holy Orb of Antioch. Behind them are some Assault Terminators with a mix of lightning claws and clownhammers. Two Predators flank his army - an Annihilator on one side, a Destructor on the other.

I win the dice and give him first turn. His assault marines fly toward me with murder on the mind. Everyone else slogs forward. The Destructor (the one on my right) moves up 6" and fires its guns at my Pariahs, its shots going wide. The Annihilator fires its lascannons into Mr. Snips on my left, putting one wound on the doughty tomb spyder.

My turn. My Destroyer Lord is attached to my Destroyer squad. I use a Solar Pulse, which has two effects: the first is to force a night fighting test for anyone who wants to shoot at my destroyers on the next turn. The second is to make Necron purists poop blood because I didn't pick a res orb and veil :3 My scarabs race up his right flank, my wraith wing goes up his left and hides in some area terrain. Mr. Snips makes a swarm base to protect himself from more lascannon shots, while Mr. Clamps eyes the assault squad coming his way and decides that parenthood is not for him.

Two Warrior squads, my Pariahs, Mr. Clamps and the Destroyers pour fire into the Assault Marines, reducing them to just a sarge and one guy. They easily pass their leadership test. For some reason the assault marines are the only assholes in this army who do not benefit from Righteous Zeal, or at least that's what my opponent told me.

Righteous Zeal means that if the Templars make a morale check after taking casualties in the shooting phase, they move 1d6" toward the nearest enemy. After fighting assault marine armies with similar mechanics, I plan to use this rule against him.

His turn. His Crusader squads stomp forward. The Destructor moves forward, while the Annihilator stands its ground. The Destructor tries to fire at my exposed Destroyers but my Lord is Gandalfing out so he's too bright to see. The tank fires on the scarabs instead, killing one swarm base. On the other side of the board, the Annihilator fires its lascannons, finishing off Mr. Snips and his children.

The two assault marines pile into Mr. Clamps. He kills one, but the sergeant crumples him with a power fist. Goodbye Mr. Clamps Sarge makes his massacre move... one inch away from my five Pariahs and the twenty Warriors in rapid fire range.

My turn. My Destroyer Lord detaches from the Destroyer wing, cranking his hover-ass to eleven and zagging 24" near to the right table edge. My Pariahs move forward. The Wraiths close in on the Annihilator that just killed Mr. Snips and his children, while the scarabs move into charging distance of the Destructor.

One Warrior squad reduces Sarge to an unhappy memory. The Destroyers, Pariahs and another Warrior squad fire at the Marshal's Crusader squad, killing a couple guys. That's enough to trigger a morale test, which they pass... but the closest enemy unit are the scarabs. The Crusaders turn around and run backwards, trying to get at those scarabs.

But they're tooooo laaaaate! The space bugs swarm all over the Destructor, chewing it to pieces. On the other side, the Wraiths charge into the stationary Annihilator. One of them manages to hit its side armor and glances it, shaking the crew.

His turn. The Annihilator's driver panics, driving 12" straight forward. I need 6s to hit him... but he's exposed his back armor to my Wraiths, to say nothing of driving into gun range of my Warriors' gauss flayers. The Crusaders and the Terminators continue their advance forward. The rightmost Crusader squad is completely ignoring the scarabs, wanting to get to my warriors instead.

The board looks like this:

These jerks killed Mr. Clamps and Mr. Snips and they're not even sorry!

My turn. My Wraiths give chase to the Annihilator. The Pariahs move up. The Scarabs take up a position behind his advancing infantry, but out of charge range. Those assault terminators eat gauss - all but two are cut down. The Marshal's Crusaders - the ones who ran toward the scarabs last turn - take light casualties from my Warriors.

Both the Terminators and the Marshal's men pass their morale tests. They turn tail and chase after the closest enemy unit... which are the scarabs, which sit behind them just out of charge range.

The Wraiths fly into the fleeing Predator Annihilator, burrowing right up the tank's ass and killing it. I have him flanked with fast attack, both his tanks are out of commission and I've juggled back his Terminators and one of his Crusader mobs. It is the bottom of turn three. Here is a picture of my emotional state:

His turn. The Emperor's Champion and his Crusader mob get into pistol range of my leftmost Warrior squad, downing two of them. Those skeletons are going to take one for the team next turn, but I think I can handle the rest of his army. He has a nasty surprise up his sleeve, though: the Marshal and his Crusaders draw close enough to throw the Holy Orb at my Pariahs. Remember that PSA where a land mine blows up at a soccer game and everyone is freaking out?

no oh god no you monsters what have you done

Ho ho ho I relish your robot tears! High fives, men!

My turn. It is ON now. Every gun on the right side of my table fires into the two Assault Terminators, slaying them. The leftmost Warrior squad, now eight strong, consigns itself to a horrible death and rapid fires into the Champion's Crusdaders, killing only a few. The Crusaders zeal forward, stopping one inch away. The bastards want their charge bonus next turn.

Well that's okay because my three Wraiths, seven Scarab swarms and my Destroyer Lord charge and surround the Marshal and his surviving Crusaders. The lone Pariah watches. Vengeance won't bring his friends back to life, but for tonight, it is enough.

*GLOMP*

One Wraith dies, but the Marshal is brought down to a single wound and his Crusader Squad is ground down to one Initiate and a few Neophytes.

His turn. The Champion's Crusaders charge my leftmost Warrior squad, killing all but one. My opponent concedes - he only has one scoring unit left and I have some Destroyers that can turbo boost to claim loot objectives on turn 6.

This is my first 1500 game with actual models. I learned my lesson from the Khorne Berzerkers last time, I'm starting to get the hang of assault armies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

You are one ballsy lord, not taking a Res Orb.

Excellent BR though (I didn't know the Necrons were members of the Homestarmy), good job.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gojiratoho
    You are one ballsy lord, not taking a Res Orb.

Excellent BR though (I didn't know the Necrons were members of the Homestarmy), good job.
    I'm trying to test the conventional internet wisdom that Necrons who don't use the holy trinity of res orb/veil/blob of Immortals are ineffective. That I think I'd get tired of the "standard" Necron list. I sunk a couple hundred dollars into these guys and I want to get as much fun out of them as I can. For some reason, that means fielding units and wargear most Necron players wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Oh, Failure Necron...I think...I think I love you...

But seriously, nice report. Congrats on smacking those pesky marines down a few notches!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To see the Black Templars lose, to anyone, is a great relief.

Nice report, i always love pictures, even emotional status ones
    Relictors -
    16/1/3

+ Reply to Thread