1000 pts Traits SM vs. Craftworld Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 pts Traits SM vs. Craftworld Eldar

Played a small game with my buddy at the local RT store. My DIY SM chapter, the Emerald Dragons vs his Craftworld Eldar. It was played on a beautiful artic wonderland table. Will have to remember to bring my digital camera with me next time.

The mission was Take and Hold. We placed a small hill in the center as the point of control. It was a Gamma level mission, Dusk did not occur.

SM Traits
    No Remorse, No Respite
    Take the Fight to Them
    Eye to Eye

The forces involved were:

SM - Emerald Dragons
    HQ - Reclusiarch with jumppack, bolt pitol, frag grenades
    Fast1 - Assault Squad - Sgt + 5 marines 1 w/flamer, 1/w plasma pistol, furious charge, sgt w/ Term Honors and a Power Fist
    Fast2 - Landspeeder Tornado
    Elite - Dreadnought - Assault Cannon, DCCW, Hvy. Flamer, Extra Armor, Venerable, Drop Pod
    Troop1 - Sgt + 7 marines 1 w/flamer, furious charge, frag, sgt w/ Term Honors and a Power Fist, all marines equipped with bolt pistols and close combat weapons, in a Drop Pod
    Troop2 - Sgt + 7 marines 1 w/flamer, furious charge, frag, sgt w/ Term Honors and a Power Fist, all marines equipped with bolt pistols and close combat weapons, in a Drop Pod

Total : 984 Didn't realize I had short changed myself quite so bad until writing this report. At game time thought I was at 998.

His list is not as detailed, I never saw it. But this is what he had that I know of
    HQ - Farseer w/Mindwar, Witchblade, Warlock
    Elite - Howling Banshee (x10) w/Exarch
    Heavy - Falcon with Shurkin Catapult, Starcannon, Pulse Laser, Holo-Field, Spirit Stone
    Fast - Vyper (x2) with Starcannon, Holo-Field, Spirit Stone
    Troop1 - 6 Guardians with 2 gunners and a Starcannon
    Troop2 - 6 Guardians with 2 gunners and a Brightlance

Total : 999

There was a central hill as the target objective, a ridgeline at either end of the board. Several small patches of trees were scattered around the board. Two on his side and two on mine, on either side of the hill.

There was a small gap between the left ridge and the table edge, so that was where I placed my Landspeeder. I took a risk and kept everything else off the table. He wasn't to thrilled with having to deploy everything first but he put his Vypers way out on his right flank to oppose my Landspeeder, he put everything else around or in one of the patches of trees. Both guardian squads and the Farseer were in the trees, the Falcon was anchoring his left flank, the Banshees were behind the Falcon.

The Vyper pilot was adjusting his settings, making sure everything was alright while he waited for the command from the Farseer to purge the Mon-Keigh from this place. Out of the corner of his eye a fast moving speck caught his attention. Before he could alert his gunner, his wingman exploded. A hard, last second jink spared him from a similar fate, but the engine was hit and with a crash they dropped to the ground.

SM Turn 1
    I won the roll for first turn and chose to go first. Moved my LandSpeeder over the ridgeline it was hiding behind and unloaded into the Vypers. One penetrating hit and one glancing hit. One Vyper simply exploded. The other I only winged and took out the engine, Immoblizing it.

Eldar Turn 1
    The surviving Vyper unloaded into my Landspeeder and got 2 glancing hits. The first blew off my assault cannon, and second stunned the speeder. His guardians moved up in the woods, getting a little closer to the objective without breaking cover. The Banshees moved behind the trees and the Falcon moved a little forward, just over 6 inches.

On flaming chariots they arrive. Drop pods scortched the sky and arrived perfectly on target. In seconds the hatches dropped and the men spilled out, pouring bolter fire into the woods where the xenos lurked. Gouts of purifing flame reached out and purged the foe in great numbers.

SM Turn 2
    The Dreadnought and both Tac Squads came into play. I dropped them all right on top of his guys in the woods. Both the Tac Squads hit perfectly, the Dreadnought's scatter was almost totally eliminated due to the drop pod rules. Everything popped out just fine and got a good look at what they were up against. Apparently it must have been an Emerald Dragon high feast day, and they wanted a barbeque... Thought of the Day: Flamers are Holy.

Tac Squad 1 fired into Guardian 2, the flamer template caught 5 from Guardian 2, and one from Guardian 1. After the bolt pistols from the rest of the squad and the Stormbolters on the drop pods fired Guardian 2 was wiped out.

Tac Squad 2 fired into Guardian 1, the flamer template again caught most of the squad and killed most of them. The bolt pistols from the squad finished the Guardians off.

The Dreadnought was in range of the Howling Banshees and flamed them as well. Between the flamer killing 6, and the assault cannon killing another, plus seeing all their comrades burned to death, the survivors turned and ran right off the table.

Eldar Turn 2
    The Farseer moved out of the woods and Mindwarred the Sgt. of Tac Squad 1. After frying the Sgt.'s brain, the Warlock fired with his pistol but missed.

The Vyper crew exacted revenge for his wingman and finally blew up the Landspeeder.

The Falcon crew plotted revenge for the death of their kinsmen and whipped around and fired everything they had into the rear of the Dreadnought. One penetrating hit, one glancing hit. Both rolled 1's.

The Farseer and Warlock charged the flank of Tac Squad 1. It was over in a few seconds. The Farseer caused two wounds with his Witchblade but both saved. The Warlock missed completely. Only a few tactical troops were involved in the fight but it was enough. The Warlock fell over dead, and the Farseer was badly wounded. Realizing that he was in way over his head, the Farseer broke and ran right off the board.

"The Mon-Keigh tomb walker was tougher then it looked." thought the Falcon pilot. However that was a minor concern at the moment. The primary concern was the blasted Mon-Keigh beating on his hull. How dare they approach him so casually! Zipping away from their beating fists and primitive weapons he did a power slide to turn the Falcon around and bring the guns the bear. "Let us see if they are as tough as the tomb walker..."

SM Turn 3
    Moved Tac Squad 1 into the woods they had just reduced to cinders. Moved the Dreadnought closer to the Falcon. Couldn't charge this turn, but got a lot closer and used the drop pods to cover his rear armor. Moved Tac Squad 2 into assault range of the Falcon, then charged. Got one hit but only left a big dent in the armor.

Eldar Turn 3
    Falcon moved towards the Vyper, fired everything into Tac Squad 2. Killed 4 marines. I only got one saving throw, which I promptly failed.

Vyper out of range.

Sgt. Kedron screamed at his men to hold together for the honor of the Chapter. "We CAN kill it!" Rallying his men they charged the Falcon one more time. The Falcon was dodging around the Dreadnought in a deadly parody of a dance. However, one dodge brought it a little too close to the squad and Sgt. Kedron made full use of it. With a roar he punched right through the Wraithbone armor and smashed the main engine vector controls.

SM Turn 4
    Moved both Tac Squad 2 and the Dreadnought into assault range. Assault cannon on the Dread didn't do anything useful. Charged the Falcon, ended up stunning it and the Spirit Sone didn't nullify or reduce it.

Eldar Turn 4
    Fired the Vyper at my Dreadnought. Was at truly extreme range but I didn't make a fuss over it. Two hits, no damage.

Brother Vargus noted that whatever Sgt. Kedron had hit had been critical. For a second the Xenos vehicle was completely still. A second was all his centuries-honed instincts needed. He grabbed one of the 'wings' and after taking a moment to give Sgt. Kedron and his men time to get away, ripped it right off the tank. This triggered some kind of powerful, internal explosion. The tank finally collapsed on the cold snowy field and lay still.

SM Turn 5
    Assault Squad *finally* decides to show up. Put them a little behind the hill and out of range of the Vyper.

Here is where things get interesting. The falcon is a skimmer, but it was stunned and didn't move. Skimmers need a 6+ to hit them in CC. Vehicles that don't move are automatically hit. Which one applies? We checked the rule book, no real help there. We rolled it and it came out my favor. Tac Squad 2 moves away, Dread moved out to get out of range of the Vyper and assaults the Falcon. Gets 3 penetrating hits, the Falcon becomes a wreck.

Eldar Turn 5
    My opponent concedes.

Abandoning their crippled craft, the Eldar Vyper crew set the powerplant to overload and ran through the snow back towards their base. To fight alone in a crippled craft was pointless.

Notes:
    On my opponent's side - I have no idea why he got a squadron of two. It really helped me but he would have been better off if they were 2 units not one. Personally I think he tries to copy some of my tactics. I frequently have 2 or even 3 Landspeeders in one squadron and rolling 14 or 21 dice intimidates people a lot. But I don't have a choice since I have Eye to Eye.

On my side - I was so lucky this battle it isn't funny. First nearly everything arrived at the same time. Then the scatter was minimal. Finally, Venerable or not I'm lucky he didn't blow up my Dreadnought with all those shots into the rear armor.

I was depending on my Landspeeder and Dreadnought's Assault cannons for Anti-Tank. It sorta worked... I needed more reliable Anti-Tank. Trying to CC skimmers with powerfists is an exercise in frustration. I should have dropped the Assault squad and Chaplain's jetpack for another Tac squad with Bolters and a Melta instead. Easier to hit the Falcon and just as likely to break the armor, if not moreso due to being AP1.

Landspeeder did it's job, it just was unfortunate that it got Stunned. But considering the battle as a whole, I'll take that.

The flamers did the job beautifully. I went in with BP+CCW because I was expecting slightly larger squads and I wasn't expecting the flamers to work nearly as well as they did. Go Tactical!

Comments and suggestions are welcome.
    The eldar army was either unpainted or had Black primer as a paint job.
    Here's my color scheme if you're curious: Tactical Squad

Last edited by Escaflowne; May 29th, 2006 at 05:29.
    May your aim be true, and your targets plentiful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Shas'o Tau Dev'n Kauyon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Very nice battle, well written batrep, I appreciated the measured (and appropriately placed) amount of fluff. As far as I know, that Skimmer rule only applies when they are doing the over 6" deal, being stunned, he wasn't moving so you should be fine. Then again, I could be wrong.

Yeah, that was kinda silly for him to have the Vypers in a squad, and those flamers definently swung that game around, wow. I liked seeing the LST and the Vypers counter eachother out, always cool.

Keep 'em comin',
    ~O'Dev'n~
    Sig by:Knape, The Celestial, and Marlinspike, thanks guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Skimmers are always hit on a 6+ regardless of weather them moved or not.

They only downgrade penetratred to glanced when moving over 6".

Nice Report, way to toast the Xenos.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

Nice Battle Report!

~ On your models though, this is just a suggestion you can try or not try but, you could put chestnut ink over the red on the shoulder pads and knee pads to make it look a little more shiny to match your green models, and then use some blue ink over the blue on the shoulder pads, but it's upto you...that's just my little suggestion
    5th E Sand(Grey) Knights: 11-3 (retired) 5th E Eldar: 37-4 (retired) 5th E Wolves 5-0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good report

ive never been a fan of flamers but u really blew those guardians' asses off -- gd job
    and u were kinda lucky with the falcon business

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Kudos for actually putting in the pictures.

And yeah the skimmers always get the 6+ stunning it just meant that it wouldn't downgrade the penetrating hits to glancing ones.

You played well but you opponent didn't. You might want to try and work some longer ranged AV in there as if he'd had his vypers seperate and had gotten his falcon out of assault (and assault cannon) range He'd have been able to freely shoot at you while moving to control the objective.

It probably wouldn't have swung that battle, and adding range takes away from the drop pod goodness, but it's something to think about.

For that matter if he's going to use a farseer for CC he should have put them in the banshee unit to boost their leadership and shield himself (a bit of boltar fire on him and his warlock would have wiped them out), and attached the warlock to one of the guardian units. And what was he thinking packing his units together so tightly against a drop pod army? And he deliberatly put his vypers where they could be shot at by the landspeeder on the first turn! I suppose it's possible the way things were laid out that it wouldn't have worked to put his vypers 2" in that woods where they would be safe from a first turn culling from your speeder but they'd still be able to make a shot if he had won first turn. But it looks like he could have done that.
    Last edited by sunnyside; May 30th, 2006 at 23:51.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he had won first turn and not me he'd get the jump on my Landspeeder from where he was. As it was I won and his gamble didn't pay off.

As for being so concentrated, if I only got one or two squads in on a turn he might have been able to over run them. I just managed to get all 3 in at the same time.
    May your aim be true, and your targets plentiful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

In your first turn you said you immobilized the 2nd Vyper. Doesn't an immobilized result on a Skimmer mean it is destroyed? I know that Tau skimmers have landing gear to avoid this, but...I didn't think anyone else did. As it was, the 2nd Vyper returned fire and really messed-up your LST.

Having that LST with it's assault cannon and unstunned for at least one more turn might have made a big difference.
    4 bionic bitz for Og "Da Boss" Grotstompa
    40 grots stomped
    400 boyz killed in action
    4000 light years of "Ere we go, Ere we go, Ere we Go" without a break
    $40K spent on GW

I'm a SM commander with about 20 service studs in my head.

+ Reply to Thread