2000 Point Guard Victory - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 Point Guard Victory

I fought this battle yesterday against a couple of friends at my gaming club. I wanted to test my very strange 2000 point list again. The mission was cleanse. Their list was nids and sisters combined. Here is my list.

The Kytherian 2nd: Argonauts (Me)

-Army Command:
    -Junior Officer, armed with a Laspistol and Powerfist, and posessing an Honorifica Imperialus. 85 Points.
    -Supported by two Sentinel scouts, Armageddon pattern, each armed with a Lascannon and carrying a Searchlight. 112 Points.
    -Anti-tank support squad, consisting of three Sharpshooters armed with Lasguns and three Sharpshooters armed with Lascannons. 120 Points.
    -Anti-tank support squad, consisting of three Sharpshooters armed with Lasguns and three Sharpshooters armed with Lascannons. 120 Points.
    -Special Weapons squad, comprised of five guardsmen armed with Laspistols and Close Combat weapons and one guardsman armed with a Demolition Charge. 45 Points.

-Elites:
    -9 man Veteran squad armed with three Plasma Guns. Veteran Seargent with Power Weapon. 112 Points.
    -Elites:
    -9 man Veteran squad armed with three Plasma Guns. Veteran Seargent with Power Weapon. 112 Points.

-Troops: Platoon A
    -Command: Junior Officer posessing Iron Discipline and armed with a Laspistol and Power Weapon. Retinue armed with two Meltaguns. 70 Points.
    -Squad 1: Armed with a Meltagun. 70 Points.
    -Squad 2: Armed with a Meltagun. 70 Points.
    -Squad 3: Armed with a Meltagun. 70 Points.
    -Squad 4: Armed with a Meltagun. 70 Points.
    -Troops: Platoon B
    -Command: Junior Officer posessing Iron Discipline armed with a Laspistol and Power Weapon. Retinue armed with three Flamers. 68 Points.
    -Squad 1: Armed with a Meltagun. 70 Points.
    -Squad 2: Armed with a Meltagun. 70 Points.
    -Squad 3: Armed with a Plasma gun. 70 Points.
    -Squad 4: Armed with a Plasma gun. 70 Points.
    -Troops: Platoon C
    -Command: Junior Officer posessing Iron Discipline armed with a Laspistol and Power Weapon. Retinue armed with three Flamers. 68 Points.
    -Squad 1: Armed with a Plasma gun. 70 Points.
    -Squad 2: Armed with a Plasma gun. 70 Points.
    -Squad 3: Armed with a Plasma gun. 70 Points.
    -Squad 4: Armed with a Plasma gun. 70 Points.

-Heavy Support:
    -Basilisk with Indirect Fire and carrying a hull-mounted Heavy Bolter. 125 Points.
    -Heavy Support:
    -Basilisk with Indirect Fire and carrying a hull-mounted Heavy Bolter. 125 Points.

Doctrines: Drop Troops, Iron Discipline, Sharpshooters, Veterans, and Close Order Drill.

Total: 2000 Points

Them:

Not totally sure, but they both modified their lists after they saw what I would field. The sisters player decided to switch out every other special weapon in favor of flamers and stormbolters, and the nids player took as many blast templates as he could. He also used ripper swarms. I will describe their lists when I describe their deployment.

The board:
    The most important terrain features were the ones in the middle of the board. Here is a map.

Their side

..........hill...............................................----Rocks----........................................
    ............hill............................................-----Rocks------..........---------Forest-----
    ..............hill......................................................... ................---------Forest------
    ................hill....................................................... ...............-----------Forest----
    .............................Forest........................................ .......................................
    ..............................Forest.......................Sandbags........ .................................
    ................................Forest......................Sandbags....... ..................................
    .................................Forest.................................... ..........................................
    ..................................Forest................................... ............................................
    ....Building....................Forest..................................... ........................................
    ....Building............................................................... ................................Low hill
    ........................................................................... ...................................Low hill
    My side

I deployed one basalisk behind the building where it could not be shot, and the other one on top of the low hill on my right. My main command took the center, and the sentinels split up, and took a flank each. My lascannons deployed in the very rear behind the sandbags. Both vet squads took the left flank, and my demo charge took the right. My guardsmen were deployed in a couple of clumps. One on the left and one on the right. I wanted to avoid the ordanance template on the nasty fex.

My opponents deployed a nasty attacking fex on my left flank, so it would avoid the lascannons.They backed it up with shooty warriors ( with blast template weapons), a squad of jump pack anti-tank sisters, and a sister command squad. In the middle, he had his larges push. A shooty (large blast template) big bug with nasty assault capabilities and two tyrant guard prepared to lay down covering fire for a large squad of gaunts, a squad of rippers, an assault Carnifex, and one of the nastiest assault combos I have ever seen: genestealers and arco-flagellents. On my right flank, the flamer-heavy sisters prepared to to advance through the forest to get into close range with my right guardsmen formation.

I won the roll for turn one.
    Turn 1:
    I did not move, thinking that my opponents would do the moving for me. I fired one basalisk shot at the genestealer-flagellent combo and killed one genestealer. The other shot missed too. Then all of my lascannons shot at the assaulty fex and missed or failed to wound. Stinky turn.

He advanced everything and killed about 8 guardsmen with shooting from shooty nids. I had to space out my guys in the middle because of the large blast template.

Turn 2: No movement. This time, the combined fire of both basalisks managed to kill off several arcoflagellents and genestealers. The jump pack sisters were shot to pieces by every gun I had on the right flank, and the center assauty fex was killed by lascannons. Lasgun and special weapon fire killed another couple stealers.

He advanced, fired, and killed some more guardsmen. The gaunts managed to hit my center line, and they had lost none of their number getting there because of the cover of the forest. He wiped out my front squad and consolodated forward, but could not reach my second line.

Turn 3:
    My entire right flank steps forward. The sisters are still covered by the forest, and so almost everything fires at the stealers and flagellents. They are wiped out. It is about now that my opponents finally notice that their gaunts consolodated right in front of both flamer command squads. In what might just be the highlight of my 40K career, I manage 51 hits. End of gaunts. Left flank continues to fire at the nasty assaulting carnifex, and the veterans and guardsmen deal some damage. Sisters command is still behind the hill.

He advances on all flanks, and kills more guardsmen in the shooting phase. Right flank sisters assault and destroy my sentinel, then consolodate forward with flamers in hand. Sisters command jumps out from behind the hill and assaults and destroys my other sentinel.

Turn 4:
    The coup de grace. I advance all units on all flanks, except for the lascannons and basalisks. Every gun in my army rapid fires at everything in range. By the end of the turn, five sisters are still standing on my right flank, and are locked in close combat with over 70 guardsmen. The center shooty bug with the big gun still stands, but all of his guard are dead and he stands totally alone. All nids and everything else on the left flank are dead except for the last four members of sisters command, who are locked in combat with 60 guardsmen. No need to say any more.

By the beginning of turn five, he is wiped out to a man.

Lessons learned:
    I love flamers.
    Basalisks barely made up for their points cost.
    Plasma guns are devastating against big nids.
    A good strategy for guard is to allow an assaulty army to hit the front line and consolodate forward, as long as your squads are far enough away to prevent consolodation into combat. Then rapid fire with everything in range.

Thanks for looking at this really long post.

"When one man dies it is a tragedy. When thousands die its a statistic."
    -Stalin

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well written, easy to follow, interesting fight. Your opponents aren't the smartest though.
    Though unnumbered lurking perils await us, our blades will ever be ready.
    FOR WE ARE THE EMPEROR'S VENGEANCE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Agreed. The ablative line tactic is a classic against Tyranids. Your army was particularly well-suited to it because of your enormous mass of cheap squads. The numerous melta and plasma guns are also very nasty against big bugs and enemies in power armour.

Your opponents should definitely have done something other than roll straight at your line. What they really needed to do was assault both of your lines at once. They had the troops to do it too with jump-packers and gaunts. The gaunt assault was clearly overkill, leaving them high and dry. Multiple small units of gaunts would have been far better, that way he could have tied down many squads instead of wiping one out. A battle of attrition with gaunts and guardsmen should end in a gaunt victory more often than not, but hopefully only after a few turns.

This is also a game where sending everything up one flank would have been a good idea, apart from a wave of gaunts to delay the other flank. As it was the broad wave of his assault allowed you to bring all your firepower to bear, while ensuring that they never had enough force at any one point to wipe you out.

As the Nid and Sister player I'd have gone up the right flank, sending the assault Nids through the wood while the rest of the force advances firing. I'd have concentrated my fire on the second line however so in the event the enemy first line collapses on me the second line won't hit me quite so hard. Sacrificial units of cheap gaunts would be used to tie down the other flank just long enough that it doesn't promptly swing round and catch me in a vice. Once in the enemy line, roll it up like a carpet.

+ Reply to Thread