Medusa V: SM vs Nids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Medusa V: SM vs Nids

On Saturday, my marines took on a 2000 point Tyranid force. Here's the army breakdowns

Space Marines: Be Swift as the Wind and See, but not be seen
    HQ:
    Chaplain on bike, bolt pistol, frags

Elite:
    5-man vets, lascannon, plasma gun, tank hunters

Troops
    6-bike squad, Vet sgt w/ PF, BP, Combat Shield, 2 Meltas, HB Attack Bike
    6-bike squad, Vet sgt w/ PF, BP, Combat Shield, 1 Melta, 1 Flamer, HB Attack Bike
    6-bike squad, Vet sgt w/ PF, BP, Combat Shield, 1 Melta, 1 Flamer, HB Attack Bike
    5-man squad, lascannon, plasma gun, infiltrate

Fast:
    LST
    LST
    LST

Heavy:
    8-man dev squad, 4 ML, Infiltrate
    7-man dev squad, 4 ML, Infiltrate
    Vindicator, EA, Smoke, Searchlight

Tyranids (Going by memory)
    Hive Tyrant (shooty), 3 guards
    Flying Hive Tyrant (w/ 2+ save, 6+ invulnerable and 4 wounds)
    Carnifex (cc oriented, 5 wounds, club tail, regenerates)
    Warriors - shooty
    Warriors - cc guys with rending claws and leaping
    Tormagaunts (20ish)
    Tormagaunts (20ish)
    Hormagaunts (20ish)
    Zoanthrope
    Genestealers (12 with feeder tendrils and 'scuttling' (?) [gave him a scout move])
    Genestealers (6 with feeder tendrils and 'scuttling' (?) [gave him a scout move])
    Genestealers (6 with feeder tendrils and 'scuttling' (?) [gave him a scout move])

Recon mission with first turn looking like this:
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...tbattle1st.jpg
    During the initial setup, he was putting way too much nastiness on the left flank so I deployed all my infiltrators on the right side. On turn 1, I shifted my left flank towards the middle of the board. The vindicator moved into the trees to take a shot against the well-packed and in the open gaunts, hive tyrant and guard and managed to take out 2 tyrant guard and 2 gaunts. The bikers on the right flank moved up to protect the dev squad and blasted the small genestealer squad to pieces while the devs softened up the hormagaunts. In the middle of the board, my other squads killed 5 out of the 6 genestealers coming up the middle.
    Here's the turn 2 pic:
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...tbattle2nd.jpg
    Turn 2 saw his two lictors pop in and join the Hormagaunts charging into the bike squad on the right flank. The bikers held though with 2 bikers and my vet sgt sticking around to fight in my turn as well. The rest of his force continued to move forward, although he generally had lousy rolls for fleet and for moving through difficult terrain these first two turns. His large genestealer squad (on the left) charged into the Vindicator and destroyed it. His lone genestealer charged my vets, but only took one guy with him as he bought the farm. On my turn, my left flankers completed their sweep to the center right and between all the guys in the middle of the field, they managed to take out the last tyrant guard and wound the tyrant and cut the rightmost gaunts to about half strength. Meanwhile, on the right side, the dev squad moved up into position and charged the lictors and hormagaunts. In the combined melee, about half the gaunts and both lictors were destroyed as well as 2 of my bikers. The hormagaunts fled towards the warriors and rallied, while my guys shifted towards the center of the field.
    Here's the pic for turn 3:
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...tbattle3rd.jpg
    His genestealers had horrible rolls and didn't get into charge range of my vets. His Hormagaunts charged back into the thick of things by tangling with my tactical squad, but only managed 1 kill. His warriors charged my bike squad, but only killed one or two bikes and lost 2 of his 3 warriors. On my turn, one of my speeders flanked back to the right and with rending goodness took out the flying hive tyrant while the vets in the ruined building stood their ground and finally took down the shooty hive tyrant. My 3rd LST arrived this turn and shot up the right termagaunt squad along with another LST, but still left 1 guy to deal with next turn. My chaplain separated from his unengaged bike squad (which boosted to get behind terrain and into a position to take on the incoming genestealers next turn) and charged in to help out the bikers taking on the remaining warrior. After dispatching him, the chappie and the three remaining bikers shifted right as well. Meanwhile, my dev squad and lone vet biker (snake eyes on his last man standing test ;^) were still feeling the rush of their earlier hand-to-hand victory and charged into the hormagaunts messing with the tac squad and finished wiping them out.
    Turn 4:
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...tbattle4th.jpg
    His genestealer squad (still untouched) got into the ruins with my vets and quickly finished them off. His squads in the middle of the field were all out of synapse range and decided to lurk out there in the open. His shooty warriors finally entered the picture and knocked off the assault cannon on one of the speeders. On my turn, the chaplain rejoined the full bike squad and led the charge against the 'stealers after unloading a good round of shooting on them. We killed 10 of them and the last two booked it for the carnifex. The two wounded bike squads moved up and took out the remaining gaunt squads while the wounded speeder took out a warrior. The other speeders took out the zoanthrope while the tac and dev squads tried to put the hurt on the carnifex (2 wounds)
    Turn 5:
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...tbattle5th.jpg
    The carnifex charged into the three man bike squad and squished them all really fast. The warriors shot at my wounded speeder and managed to stun it, but that's all. On my turn, my lone biker vet tried to move up to take out the two stealers, but after shooting one down, I realized charging wasn't the smartest move so figured I'd make him charge me during his turn so I could finish shooting him in turn 6. Everyone else shot up the carnifex, but even with good rolls, I still only managed to take off 2 more wounds. My chaplain and his bike squad charged in to finish him off and did so, but at the cost of almost the entire squad. On turn 6, he finished off the lone biker, but his shooting warriors were ineffective. On my turn, my speeders turbo'ed into his deployment zone while everyone else finished wiping out his remaining guys.

All in all, it was a great game. He had really bad rolls early on and if he had made some better difficult terrain and fleet rolls, his guys could have been on me a lot faster. Deployment wise, I was happy with how things turned out. Being able to deploy 3 squads after seeing where he was going allowed me to plan on getting the heck away from the left flank with all of my fast units and take on his force piece by piece.

Hope y'all enjoyed the report! Got another one coming later tonight...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice Report, The pictures helped.

Those Nids are a pain, you showed 'em.
    Relictors -
    16/1/3

+ Reply to Thread