Daemonhunters v Death Guard, 1500 pts, Cities of Death - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Daemonhunters v Death Guard, 1500 pts, Cities of Death

I played my first CoD game last week against my friend's Death Guard, my first ever battle against Chaos, if you can believe it. (He's only ever played his 'nids since I've known him, and nobody else has Chaos.) Finally! A chance to see what Daemonhunters can really do against daemons! As it turns out, quite a lot! But when you face more than daemons, well, you can lose. And I did.

I brought:
    HQ: BC (sacred incense), 4 GKT retinue (1xpsycannon)
    Elite: Inquisitor (psycannon) (w/IST squad); Callidus Assassin
    Troop: 8 ISTs (2xplasma), Chimera; 8 PAGKs
    Fast: 8 FAGKs
    Heavy: Dreadnought (TLLC/ML, extra armor, smoke, blessed); Dreadnought (AC/DCCW, extra armor, smoke); Dreadnought (AC/DCCW, extra armor, smoke)

He brought (approximating, since I don't know his army at all):
    HQ: Plague Lord (?) (doom sword, other gear?)
    Elite: 7 Plague Marines (aspiring champion w/plasma pistol), Possessed Rhino
    Troops: 2x 7 Plague Marines (aspiring champion w/plasma pistol), 2x Possessed Rhino; 2x 10 Nurglings
    Heavy: Predator (Autocannon, sponson lascannons); Defiler; Dreadnought (TLLC/DCCW)

Mission was domination, and with his choice of deployment, he picked a table quarter with 3 buildings in it, leaving me with the quarter that happened to have just one. 4 buildings were up for grabs in the empty quarters (8 total up for grabs).

We both picked preliminary bombardment as one of our strategems. I killed two marines from one squad, immobilized a Rhino, and would have stunned the defiler except that it was immune to such things. His bombardment did zilch.

I got to go first though, and I drove my chimera to the center of the board, popped smoke, and unloaded my inquisitor and ISTs in cover behind it, ready to take possession of the central -- and tallest -- building. (Firebase here I come!) My TLLC/ML dread fired on the predator but failed to hurt it. My PAGK squad scuttled around behind an intact building, a dread following in support, ready to challenge a building in the next table quarter. My 3rd dread went in the opposite direction to flank my opponent and cause trouble. Everything else was in reserve.

My opponent ruined everything on his 1st turn. His defiler dropped a pie plate on my ISTs -- conveniently bunched together -- and when it failed to scatter he destroyed them all to the last man! His dread walked around and could just barely draw line of sight on my flanking dread, then promptly destroyed it with a single shot and two subsequent 6s. His predator took out the TLLC on my dread. He also took possession of two buildings with his two troops squads.

It was a long climb from there. During the next two turns, my PAGK squad walked into a ruinied building for cover, prepared to assault the enemy out of the next building over, only to have it collapse on them! They took no casualties, but they were pinned for another turn. My Callidus popped up and held up the elite marines and their nearby HQ model for two turns before dying, but she took only two marines down with here. (Out of 10 total melee attacks I made with here, I hit only 3 times! Bad, bad dice.) My chimera lost its multilaser to a plasma pistol shot, the AC/DCCW dread supporting the PAGK lost it's DCCW and was stunned from plasma pistol shots from two different squads, and the last dread lost its ML to the predator. In the meantime, he moved his elites up into that central building and took possession of it, making 3 for him and none for me. Plus, his HQ model would take over a 4th building by the 5th turn, and there was no way I could contest it.

As the game wound down, my FAGKs teleported into a building near the center of the board and repulsed two waves of nurglings, and also shot dead a number of space marines. My first building was taken! The dread that formerly had the TLLC/ML loadout scuttled back to my deployment zone and took possession of the sole ruin there, hiding all the way in the back to avoid getting killed. My AC dread took potshots at troops in the central building, but failed to inflict wounds. My PAGKs managed to unpin themselves, survive withering fire from two Rhinos and two plague marine squads, and finally, when down to just 3 models, assaulted into the ruin possessed by a troops squad and slaughtered them outright. Three buildings for me, three for my opponent! Things were looking up, and I still had my HQ to look forward to!

Unfortunately, my GKTs scattered a full 12 inches directly away from everything, almost off the board, and would never challenge a building currently possessed by Chaos. Which was bad, because unless I could do that, the best I could hope for was a draw. And to do that, I needed to kill off a squad. I managed, by turn 6, to maneuver the GKTs into a building, all the while firing away at the squad in the central building. That, combined with fire from the HB on the Chimera, was my only hope to catch a draw. Unfortunately, I took them to 2 models, but that still left them strong enough to claim that building. Plus, when he maneuvered his dread into the building defended by my FAGKs, and his predator into the building possessed by my PAGKs, I was left with only two buildings in my possession outright, while he had four.

In the end, I lost too many models in the first turn, my reserves came in too late and too far from where I needed them, and my wonderful dreadnoughts proved to be completely useless. Both because I rolled terribly with them and because my opponent was quickly able to render them toothless. Nevertheless, I was one half-turn away from pulling a draw, so I feel I played relatively well. I think the list I have is worth trying again, even against the same one he brought. However, I think I won't deep strike my FAGKs, and I may even walk my GKTs. I needed to challenge buildings earlier than I did, and I needed to provide my opponent with more targets to choose from. As it was, it was too easy for him to prioritize what to hit.

ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea man, an on target pie plate early on is really tough to bounce back from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Nice report. You game wentthe way mine did. All was good and then the badness happened.
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arent GK immune to pinning? or does a collapsing building negate that?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Miril
    Arent GK immune to pinning? or does a collapsing building negate that?
    Even models normally immune to pinning are pinned by a collapsed building.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IS that house rule? If not please give me the page number so I can check it out. I never knew that.
    thanks
    bonekrusher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

It's entanglement, same as if they were in a transport that got popped.

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Good battle report, tough to win with Grey Knights though. In my opinion they're the only army with a Codex that just can't win against other serious armies, I'm sure lots of people disagree. Nice strategy overall except DS the HQ, seems a bit risky for such an expensive unit, I would've walked them.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Prince of Excess
    Good battle report, tough to win with Grey Knights though. In my opinion they're the only army with a Codex that just can't win against other serious armies, I'm sure lots of people disagree. Nice strategy overall except DS the HQ, seems a bit risky for such an expensive unit, I would've walked them.
    Normally, I think deep-striking the GKTs is a good idea exactly because they are so expensive and because they attract So Much Firepower. However, in dense city terrain, they can take advantage of lots of cover, so I think I'll try walking them ... eventually. I want a few more tries with this current list to see what I need to do. However, I will walk my FAGK squad from now on. They did fine, but I needed them for 3 other turns, too, more than I needed them to come in as support mid-game.

As for winning with Daemonhunters ... yeah, it can be tough. Especially since I go pure DH and don't induct Imperial Guard, which really are the perfect complement for a GK-oriented force. I do very poorly vs tank-heavy armies (my friend's space marines, for example; I've yet to beat him even once), but I kick the living crap out of assault-oriented forces (another friend's orks, yet another friend's 'nids). Against another friend's Tau, heavy with kroot and suits, I'm a little below 50%. I only own 20 GKs and 6 GKTs, so I often supplement with allied Seraphim and/or mounted ISTs, but with every game I play, the more I think I should get a 3rd GK squad, maybe even just go pure GK all the way. These guys can outshoot units that are better assaulters than they are, and they can slaughter units that can shoot better than they can. They have proven to be amazingly resilient and -- limited mobility aside -- capable of doing anything. Save for the times when they are unlucky enough to have an ordnance blast centered on them, they always earn way more than their points back for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by number6

Righto then - I was just curious, I dont have the CoD book.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast