1500 Tau vs Nids [pics] - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

1500 Tau vs Nids [pics]

Ok, this was one of the first games on my nearly finished board, which was fun to play on. Game was 1500 points, simple cleanse mission, my Tau vs. Vissabron’s Tyranids. I’m too lazy to make one of the fancy “map of turn 1!? things, so the pics will have to do…

Our armies, rather generally:

Tau
    2 Shas’o’s
    2 Hammerheads
    Pathfinders + Fish
    2x 12 Fire Warriors
    4 other Battlesuits

Nids
    Like 5 MC’s
    A bunch of gaunts
    Some genestealers
    2 Raveners
    Some spore mines

We threw for 1st turn, and I got it! Yay! Devilfish moved up to the bridge and dropped the pathfinders off on the Scout move.

Tau 1
    - Both hammerheads move up onto little hill thing
    - Devilfish goes back and picks up one group of Fire Warriors
    - Pathfinders designate some seekers in the general direction of the Nids and inflict a wound on the closest Carnifex.
    - One hammerhead fires a submunition round into the gaunts and kills 8
    - Forgot about the other hammerhead this turn… battlesuits are out of range.

Nids 1
    - Everything moves toward me with their usual fastness. Nothing in range. Hmm, looks intimidating.

Tau 2
    - The two Shas’o’s and the other monat suit attempt to deepstrike as separate units, 1 makes it.
    - Fish with Fire Warriors inside stays back and waits for nids to get closer
    - Deathrain suits do the same
    - Deepstruck suit with airbursting fragmentation grenade combined with hammerhead subs brings down 12 more gaunts.

Nids 2
    - Some spore mines deepstrike beside the devilfish, everything advances more
    - Hive Tyrant fires his silly weapons at the deepstruck suit, and does nothing.

Note: I hate fleet.
    - Some gaunts assault the deepstruck suit with 12 attacks, and somehow the suit and his shield drone defeat them in CC… they pass their Ld check and stay locked.

Tau 3
    - Fish drops off Fire Warriors a foot from the Tyrant and gaunts for Fish of Fury tactic… in hindsight, that was a bad idea.
    - The other FW’s assume blast formation expecting more spore mines, and the Deathrain suits move up behind them
    - Another suit Deepstrikes, which I thought would be a suicide suit to kill the Tyrant, but actually ended up living until the very end….
    - ‘Fex shrugs off Pathfinder’s rail rifles, then takes 2 wounds from 24 Fire Warrior shots
    - Missile Systems of the vehicles are now in range, and kill several more gaunts combined with the subs.
    - The suit/gaunt combat continues with the gaunts sustaining one wound and staying locked.

Nids 3
    At this point I’m being slightly overwhelmed by monstrous creatures XD
    - More spore mines land, Raveners land right on target in the middle of my stuff… that does not look good.
    - ‘Fex comes within assault range of the blast-formation FW’s.
    - The Fish blows up. -_-‘
    - The gaunt/suit combat finally ends with all the gaunts dead and no wounds on the suit, the FW in combat with Fex fail to even hit, and sustain 3 casualties. They stay locked.

Tau 4
    - The last suit Deepstrikes on target, and wounds something, forgot to write it down >.>’
    - The deathrain suits kill the Raveners… hmmm, those caused a lot of damage. XD
    - Subs kill 6 genestealers. Gotta love those things.
    - In assault, all the suits move 6? into better positions, 3 more Fire Warriors die in the FW/’Fex combat, they stay locked.

Nids 4
    - Genestealers become a minor threat, and more MC’s come into view from under the bridge…
    - 1 FW dies to a barbed strangler blast, 4 more to Warp Blast, then rippers charge the FW behind the wrecked fish.
    - FW come out on top in that combat with 4 wounds while sustaining 1 casualty, and stay locked.
    - 4 More dead Fire Warriors from the Fex…

Tau 5
    - Deathrain suits move away from some genestealers on a rock that were getting too close…
    - Pathfinders light up the Tyrant, and then their rail rifles fail to wound again
    - The deepstruck suits kill said Tyrant and wound a Carnifex, the genestealers on the rock all get killed by the other suits.
    - Railheads don’t have anything to sub so pump solid shot into “The Doctor? and inflict 2 wounds
    - The ‘fex finally kills all the FW, and the other group does another wound to the rippers and sustain 1 wound

Nids 5
    - Genestealers engage suits. Oh noes. They kill 1, wound 1, and the carnifex kills another suit.
    - FW’s finish off 2 ripper swarms, none die.

Tau 6
    - Deepstruck suits kill a carnifex with markerlight guidance, hammerheads do one more wound on “The Doctor? ‘Fex.
    - FW’s kill the remaining rippers in CC.
    - The deathrain suits are not so fortunate, and are killed by genestealers and another Fex.

Now the battle is my 2 hammerheads, 7 remaining FW’s, pathfinders, 3 battlesuits, against his Fex, The Doctor (also a fex), and 3 genestealers.

Nids 6
    - ‘Stealers move toward the remaining suits and Fire Warriors
    - The Doctor kills a shield drone with some gun. Genestealers engage the suits. :wacko:
    - ‘Stealers do 4 wounds to suits, who are the Shas’o’s so have W4… one genestealer dies, and they stay locked.

Tau 7
    - The unengaged suit and the Fire Warriors move for a last stand – the suit brings The Doctor down, hammerheads do a wound with railguns
    - Genestealers kill another drone, suits fail to wound.

Nids 7
    - Some more assaulting and some more FW’s die, but no suits… no genestealers die either, everything stays locked.

Tau 8
    - Nothing I can do really, everything except one suit and the heads is locked in combat.
    - ‘Stealers don’t kill any suits again, another stealer dies.
    - ‘Fex slaughters Fire Warriors.

Nids 8
    - Suits sustain another CC wound, and the third and final genestealer dies in return. The Fex finally kills the two remaining suits. The last one that was unengaged is up on the cliff.

END: Tau victory, but not by much. Both hammerheads, the pathfinders, and one Shas’o were left, and it was decided they would pretty much kill the 1 remaining Fex next turn, so Vissy conceded. It was a good game ^_^

Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Nice battle report!

I especially like the part of the 24 firewarriors putting two wounds on a 'fex. ^^

Also, don't underestimate the gaunt swarm! I've dumped over a dozen gaunts into a tau crisis suit squad and taken out two in one round. ^^

Those look like some pretty small deployment zones...

Anyway, don't fret about MCs. In fact, tyranids can field four of them in a 500 point game. So it's all fun.

So would you have done anything different? Learned any lessons? What've you learned from fighting tyranids? Tau in my area are losing badly (mainly because they're kinda young...) and I can only give them so much advice, so what do you recommend for them?
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x2)

Well, if my hammerheads would have died I would say next time, protect them with whatever possible. They alone were responsible for about 70% of the gaunt/genestealer deaths probably, and helped out a lot with the MC's... that said, I felt the Deathrain suits (missile pod/burst canon) were kind of a waste, as all the light infantry (i.e., gaunts and stealers) were mostly dead before they were in range, while the MC's marched right up and assaulted them. So next time I'll probably only have one or two of those kind of suits, and the rest the regular Fusion/Plasma combo for MC-hunting.

I think the deepstriking suits worked well, they've worked better in previous games I've had... as long as they're not too close, and in this case up on the cliff so close enough but out of danger. And the other thing is to like always imagine the nearest unit can move and charge about 18", so be ready for that XD ...I made the mistake of moving things too close to things I thought wouldn't be able to assault twice.

Oh yeah, also, the devilfish seemed like it wasn't extremely useful. Next time I might change up the points a little and get a third hammerhead, or more Fire Warriors.
    Last edited by The Salmon Thief; July 21st, 2006 at 07:24.
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Congrats on the hard-won victory! For the Greater Good! :yes:

Was this played for the Medusa V campaign, or just as a "let's get together and play" sort of game?

Decent report, all in all. I'm also interested in your thoughts/lessons learned about Tyranids in this battle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

devilfish picking up other troops?

A devilfish that drops of some pathfinders, then go to pick up some firewarriors? A devilfish is a dedicated transport, so you can't pick up others. It may only transport the unit it is bought for.
    MvG, vindicator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by vindicator
    A devilfish that drops of some pathfinders, then go to pick up some firewarriors? A devilfish is a dedicated transport, so you can't pick up others. It may only transport the unit it is bought for.
    Oh well that's silly

Lost Nemesis, this was mostly just a for-fun type game, but I think we decided to report all the games we played that night to Medusa V.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

85 (x1)

The rules point about the devilfish only being able to transport the unit it was purchased for, the pathfinders, is not silly. I always appreciate it when someone reads my batreps and points out something I did wrong. I want to play the game correctly.

Just to make sure, you were counting the carnifex as 10 models in the combat against the fire warriors? If so, that unit passed a few leadership tests with (eventually) serious penalties for being outnumbered.

It is hard for me to see what type of gaunts charged the one suit. I am guessing spinegaunts or termagaunts. In any case, it is not unusual for crisis suits to hold up quite well against gaunts. The difference in strength and toughness, along with the suit's save, gives you decent staying power. When I charge suits with gaunts it is to stop them from shooting at me until I can get something like warriors or hive tyrant in to finish the suit.

I think what your friend had on the board for MCs was: walking hive tyrant, close combat carnifex, carnifex with barbed strangler (and what else?), and dakkafex (devourers). He was a little light on shooting, which was going to hurt his chances against a suit and tank heavy Tau army. I can say that gunfexes (venom cannon and barbed strangler) and hive tyrants with venom cannons and devourers can do some good damage to crisis suits. High strength venom cannons and barbed stranglers insta-kill suits. I also think he should have had at least one tyrant guard with his tyrant. Two extra wounds is nothing to sneeze at.

Another point was that I did not see mention of your friend failing any instinctive behavior tests. From what I see, he only had one synapse creature on the board. He was really lucky if he was taking them and passed them all.

Also, one last question: this was an 8 turn game, but not Omega level?
    Tyranids: Hive Fleet Kohr-Ah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x2)

I'll remember the skimmer thing for future games... as will I remember leadership modifiers, indeed we were not playing with those (not like we chose not too, just not extremely experienced obviously XD)

I know he had Warp Blast on something, and a Venom Canon somewhere too, I remember that coming up.

He was taking instinctive behavior tests, and I think got lucky and passed a lot of them, though I remember him failing 1 or 2.

And he did have a Tyrant Guard, I remember, I killed it right away XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But there is one thing you forgot, for the entire match the question on everyone's mind was: can the genestealers assault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Vissabron
    But there is one thing you forgot, for the entire match the question on everyone's mind was: can the genestealers assault.
    Haha, yeah XD

^ kinda an inside joke

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast