Godzilla goes to Emperor's Legion in Sydney (1750 tourney Sep 06) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x1)

Godzilla goes to Emperor's Legion in Sydney (1750 tourney Sep 06)

Well I had set myself a big goal for Emperor’s Legion 2006, I would be using a new army the Godzilla list!!! After busting my nuts for 25 days to completely build the list from scratch I was ready to give it a debut to remember.

The list was

Hive Tyrant, Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, Psyhic Scream and TL Devourers.

Hive Tyrant, Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, Psyhic Scream and TL Devourers.

Carnifex, Enhances Senses, TL Devourers.

7 Leaping Rippers

7 Leaping Rippers

14 Termaguants

15 Termagaunts

15 Hormagaunts with Toxin Sacs

15 Hormagaunts with Toxin Sacs

Carnifex, Enhanced Senses, Spine Banks, Barbed Strangler and TL Devourers

Carnifex, Enhanced Senses, Spine Banks, Vemon Cannon and TL Devourers

Carnifex Enhanced Senses, Vemon Cannon and Barbed Strangler

Round 1
    Alpha Cleanse with VPs

Cool a good way to start the tourney a nice simple game. I was faced off against a marine player, one of only 5 people to defeat my Iron Warriors and I wanted revenge!!! And surprise was totally achieve when he exclaimed “your using nids!!!!”. Excellent.

His army consisted of:

Chaplain (with Jump Pack)
    6 Vets with Las and Tank Hunter
    8 Tact marines with drop pod and 2 x melta
    8 Scouts
    8 Tact marines with plasma gun and cannon
    8 Tact with heavy bolter
    8 Devastators with 4 x missile lnchr
    8 Asslt marines
    Dread standard
    Landspeeder tornado
    Vindicator
    Whirlwind

Well my opponent Dave deployed in a manner I expected him to, as far away as possible with a number of units back well in the rear corner of the table (quarter 1), although he used a hill to cover some scouts (in an effort to claim quarter 2) and a forest to hide the dread and vindicator (in an effort to claim quarter 3). I deployed in a manner to protect my guys from as many heavy weapons as I could, so that if I lost first turn I could limit the damage he could do to me. I also knew if I could wipe out the scouts, vindi, dread, the drop pod marines and the assault marines I would have the game sown up as the other marines could not make it to the other quarters after turn 2.

So with deployment complete it was time for the dice of death, he won and decided to take it, this would prove to be a fatal error, caused by his deployment. He moved the scouts and dread and vindi, however due to my use of cover and his lack of range he missed the vindi’s shot, the missile launchers dropped 2 gaunts, the heavy bolter, lascannon and plasma cannon either did not have range or a target and the dread could only kill two more gaunts due to range or a lack there of it.

Wow that was nice from my perspective. As we had to start 18 inches apart I was able to position the Hormagaunts so that they were able to assault the scouts, with a good fleet roll, but with Dave going first and bringing the scouts forward, I was almost guaranteed the assault. Moving the carnifexes was a tricky business as I wanted to protect as many as possible and by using the forest I was able to achcieve that goal. The shooting phase was not too dramatic for me, but I did manage to stop the vindi from firing as well as the dread. The assault phase saw the scouts thinned down and eventually run off the board.

Turn two saw the drop pod arrive and attempt to squish some of my rippers, Dave tried to shoot up the Hormagaunts that were well and truly in the open and exposed, however was not able to kill too many due to the hill that protected them. The marines from the drop pod killed a couple of ripper bases, but were not looking good for combat in the next turn. Dave had exposed his landspeeder and the 7 dice Ap4 skimmer of death needed to be punished and it was..hehehehe. The whirlwind was able to shoot now that I moved up, but scattered of target and hit nothing.

Over the remainder of the game I was able to out position Dave and catch him totally by surprise. In the last two turns of the game I was able to burst through the cover of the forest and bring my elite carnifexes and hive tyrants to bear on his exposed marines, forcing two squads to run off the board. At the end of the game Dave was left with an immobile landspeeder, a whirl wind and a few marines and I had claimed table quarters 2 and 3 while contesting 4 and holing my own.

Result: Win

Round 2
    Take and Hold Gamma

For round two I was faced off against a Chaos undivided army with a major Nurgle element.

Daemon Prince from hell itself
    5 nurgle termies
    2 x 7 Plague Bearers
    2 x 7 Plague marines (one in rhino)
    1 x 7 Undivided Havocs
    2 Defilers
    2 Oblits

Ok well with center of the table being the objective I decided my strategy would be a simple one get all my army by turn 6 to the centre of the table. Ray my opponent won first turn and took it in an attempt to use his defilers to frag as much as he could. Again with careful deployment I was able to protect my important units from the incoming ordinance. What I could not protect I managed to ensure it got cover saves and this paid off as the first turn results in a only little bugs being killed and niot very many. His Daemon prince moved up to a position behind the central forrest, hmmmm this was gonna be a problem.

I managed to apply some fire to the havocs and thinned them a little, but other than that there was not a great deal of shooting from me in the first turn. Ray was able to bring one unit of plague bearers on in turn two and they were able to move close to the nids, fortunately I was not in assault range, his daemon prince was another matter altogether though as he assaulted the first squad of hormies.

Ray had failed to move his termies up in the first turn a mistake he corrected, but it meant I was able to engage his plague bearers that were almost unsupported apart from the deamon prince. In my turn I decided the daemon prince had to die so I engaged it fully 27 hormies, 7 rippers and a HT, unfortunately I was only able to cause a wound after bionics saved the other……hmmmm. After 2.5 rounds of combat I was able to finally slay this beast but the cost was nearly 20 hormies, a little disappointing.

Once again I was able to protect large amounts of my army and prevent Ray from bringing effective fire to bear on me, this and his static approach meant that he was unable to stop nearly 6 MC from holding the centre of the table while his scoring units were either smashed or scattered across the board.

Result: win

Round three
    Recon Omega…..bugger escalation!!!

Well most of you will notice I lose large portions of my army and as a result I decided to start the entire lot off the board. My opponent Liam (finished 3rd overall) was using Speed Freaks, his list:

Warboss with truck
    2 x truck boyz
    1 x Burner boyz
    2 x 2 wartraks with missile lnchrs
    2 x gun truks
    2 x battle wagons with hard boyz
    1 x demolisher
    2 x scorchers
    Fight bomber raid

Well the game started well for Laim his fighter bomber raid managed to wound 10 hormies, lucky I made 4 6+ saves!!!! But it was still nasty to lose so many so quickly to nothing.

Well deployment and the first two turns were quick, the game itself was one of those odd games. Liam is a great guy, but with escalation 8 hours of straight gaming and no lunch yeah it was just one of those games. There were a few memorable moments like the warboss that after his truck was destroyed squished 7 ripper bases and chased off 6 hormies before a carnifex went to play with him. The Hive tyrant that dies to S3 burners in one turn. The barbed strangler than not only blew up a gun truck but also at S4 blew up another truck!!!!

At the end of the game the Orks were broken, but managed to destroy enough of my army to make it just shy of a massive victory.

Result: win

Well that was day one three good opponents and three good games. I will post up day 2 a little later. I will also get some army pics up tonite as well.

Ok then seen as the site is back up after the hackers had there fun I thought I would conclude this little adventure with my nids.

Round 4

Annhilation Gamma

My opponent was John Lampe, someone who has the ability to pull wins far out of his arse with armies you dont expect to win. His army this time was 1k Sons.

He had a Chaos LT with bolt of change, 9 rubric termies, 2 x 9 rubric marines in mutated hull rhinos and 2 preds one had a mutated hull.

As the mission was annhilation I knew I was about 120 points up before we rolled a dice (bonus points for what is alive at the end of the game that is scoring). John opted for a defensive set up and with less deployments it meant I saw his main effort being placed in the far left corner as I looked at the board. Realising the strengths of the 1k sons ie move and shoot and thralls to get 2 winds of chaos and a marine basically having 2 wounds, I figured there was little point matching is less than 12 inch strength so i decided to make him come to me.

John also had weighed up my armies strength being that he had play five practice games against it (the only lead up games I had with the army). so he was slow to move towards my strength or as he would call it "I was slow and purposeful"...hehehe just slow John!!!!

This game was really about who would make the bigger boo-boo and thankfully for me it was John, he did try to engage me with his preds (best chance to get big bugs dead), however one was two far away to engage me in the fist two turns and in the third could only get lascannons in!!! The other pred was stunned and then popped in good order. Both of his rhinos were destroyed and this gave me a massive 320 points from 3 models!!!! John did managed to get 2 big bugs not scoring but I was confident of the win and after I remember all of my carnifexes for the bonus points I had won, but it was alot closer than I thought it was in fact if John had dropped one of the two carnis on one wound he would have secured a draw.

This win was probably the most satisfying not just cos I beat John, those that know him will know what I mean there (for those that dont he is a good mate, and there is a strong rivalry), but through the tactics i used and the fact that I did not lose a single model.......FLAWLESS VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well for the last round I faced what I thought was the true Chaos Undecided army, it had all the chaos god represented and was lead by an undevided lord and changer of ways!!! He also had a unit of Emperors Children, 3 x 8 CSMs, 1 x Havocs (8 in Sqd), 2 x 8 daemonettes, a pred and that was about it from memory.

In this game we were playing a cleanse alpha. Starting 18 away with all those devourers is handy and getting the first turn was even better. In the first two turns with the shrewd use of cover I was able to avoid most of his heavy weapons while bringing the full weight of my devourers to bare on half of his army. In my first two turns I was able to waste 23/24 space marines, the last one standing was the daemonhost...damm!!!! But he was in combat with rippers and these proved to be awesome when he was only able to kill a base a turn with bad dice for most of the rest of the game!!!

This game was over very quickly in some regards as I stole the initiative and my opponent was not able to retake it and mount a serious challenge, that said he still managed to drag down a couple of big ones and score some solid VPs. But with big ones in most quarters I was able to secure the win.

When it came to the awards I was please to learn that I managed to pull in second overall, not bad for the armies first going!!!

The other place getters were John 1st (four points ahead of me) and Liam the speed freaker 3rd. Well that is all for now, I will post up about MOAB in a day or two.

Last edited by Hilly; October 3rd, 2006 at 00:46. Reason: Added the last two games
    Army most recently finished (well kinda): Space Wolves
    Last Project completed: Converted Aegis Defence Lascannon
    Next Project: Long Fang Diaorama

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Nice day. All of the army lists looked brilliant although I particularly like that chaos one. Daemon Princes are always a pain, especially a khorne one getting 12 attacks and instantly making his points back despite costing so much.

Why do all nid players seem to make their army as shooty as possible? all your guys are toting big guns although you do have a lot of cc little guys.

I guess you've already finished the tournament thanks to g00ns but would you mind posting up the games and pics anyway?
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Nice report. I liked your first game against the Marines. Over all how do you like this army compaired to your other?
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x1)

Ok now posted up the last two battles. Thanks for reading.

To answers some of the questions,

This army is fundermentally different to the rons and IWs, although I dont see the other two as static, this is just so much faster and can take alot of punishment. The three armies are some different though and play so differently. I have enjoying using the nids in the last two tourneys I have been to, it is the first non power armour army I have used so it was good to break that stereotype.

As for the shooty big ones, I wanted to keep the big ones cheap, you will note the two squads of hormies are more expensive that all the fexes, and I wanted to still have a horde style army, something noone has seen me use. The fact that big bugs can only move six means a good player can stop them getting into combat, so I figure make there hitting power a little bit longer it means they can still be effective. Otherwise the big ones are wasted points.
    Last edited by Hilly; October 3rd, 2006 at 01:09. Reason: answered questions

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    Round three
    Recon Omega…..bugger escalation!!!

Well most of you will notice I lose large portions of my army and as a result I decided to start the entire lot off the board.
    How is it possible to start everything off of the board? I couldn't find anything that states you can voluntarily hold things in reserve if they don't have a special rule for it. I'm not insinuating that there isn't one, just a reference would be helpful in case I'd like to use it in a future game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by moob View Post
    How is it possible to start everything off of the board? I couldn't find anything that states you can voluntarily hold things in reserve if they don't have a special rule for it. I'm not insinuating that there isn't one, just a reference would be helpful in case I'd like to use it in a future game.
    The escalation rule states you may start on the board if you are infantry, nothing there to say you have to start on. You can only do it for escalation though other missions you have to be on the board, unless the misson says otherwise.

+ Reply to Thread