Tau vs Space Wolves (Story) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Tau vs Space Wolves (Story)

This is the first descriptive-type battle report that I've done. Please let me know what you think.

ARMY LISTS:

TAU
    Shas’O Y’he Sha’is – Commander Deathwind (CIB/PR/VRT/SI/HWMT)
    Shas’El M’Yen Ka – Commander Unseen Strike (PR/FB/TA/HWMT)

Crisis Team 1 (TmLd/PR/MP/HWMT & PR/MP/MT)
    Crisis Team 2 (TmLd/PR/MP/HWMT & PR/MP/MT)
    Crisis Team 3 (TmLd/PR/MP/HWMT & PR/MP/MT)

Mounted Firewarriors (12 Shas’la & 1 Warfish)
    Mounted Firewarriors (12 Shas’la & 1 Warfish)

Mounted Pathfinders (8 Shas’la & 1 Warfish)

1 Hammerhead (SMS/TA/DL/TL/MT)
    1 Hammerhead (SMS/TA/DL/TL/MT)
    1 Ionhead (SMS/TA/DL/TL/MT)

SPACE WOLVES (Approximate)
    Rune Priest
    Battle Leader
    Venerable Dreadnought in DP (AC/ML)

Dreadnought in DP (AC/ML)
    Dreadnought in DP (AC/ML)

Grey Hunters w/ Wolf Guard

Landraider
    Whirlwind
    Long Fang Pack

Y’he Sha’is activated the thrusters of his experimental XV-8 with a well practiced twitch of his hand, launching the suit upwards above the ruins of the city. From this vantage point, he could see the damage and destruction these so-called humans had wrought. “They are more like animals, these marines,? he thought, “but this commander is a worthy adversary,? and he barely felt the bump as he gently returned the crisis suit to the ground, “and perhaps these marines will be able to provide my troops with the redemption they have been looking for for so long.?

A gentle tone signaled contact from his headquarters. “REPORT IN.? was the first contact from the Manta circling the planet in days. “Enemy force has continued evasive maneuvers, and we suspect has evacuated the city. We are conducting a final high-speed sweep to verify,? responded Commander Deathwind, in an equally short manner. “VERY WELL. WE WILL EXPECT YOUR RETURN. OUT.? toned the voice through the cockpit of his battlesuit. “My offense to the greater good will never be forgotten,? he thought, “perhaps Commander Farsight was right after all…?

Breaking from his thoughts, Y’he Sha’is glanced quickly at his vid-monitor. The heads-up display showed that the pathfinders had stopped moving and were disembarking from their transport. “Report in,? requested the Commander.

?Contact has been made with the enemy force,? the Shas’la leader report in, “I am sending you a full report of their force. All infantry, no vehicles have been sighted. We are preparing to mark all marines for long range termination by the Hammerhead submunition.?

“No,? replied Y’he Sha’is quickly, “you will immediately return via devilfish to our position. Submunitions are not required for such a small force.?

“Shas’O, I think…?

“Your orders have been given. OUT.? Deathwind turned his suit to face his cadre. Every single one of the warriors arrayed behind him had served twice as long as any normal Tau warrior was expected, and had seen far too much fighting, much of it close-range. “My return has placed you in harm’s way,? toned Y’he Sha’is over the general comm, “and for that I am truly sorry. Perhaps today you can earn you place back into the Greater Good. . Battle orders are being sent across your vid-screens as we speak.?

“Commander,? asked Commander M’Yen Ka of his superior, “why not destroy them with the hammerheads. I will follow you, as I always have, but casualties are not needed to prove your worth?

“I know,? Y’he Sha’is said, quietly, “but do they understand that.? Without another sound, he launched his suit into the air and bounded ahead of his cadre to get a moments peace, and to maneuver into a better position from which to launch his attack on the enemy. “I pray that they follow the Greater Good this time,? he said to himself.

After 10 minutes of fast travel, he settled behind a group of ruins that were positioned on a city square. Through the ruins, he could just see the enemy troops dug into a building directly across the square. Strangely, the tinkling sound of water reached his ears, and looking to the center of the square, Y’he Sha’is was amazed that a fountain still flowed. Memories of his home world, of his wife, and of his family flooded his mind. “I will give up myself to return them to the Greater Good,? he thought, and looked back towards the enemy emplacements. There were far fewer power-armor clad men than he remembered, but now was no time for questions. This was but the quiet before the storm. He was in range to begin his attack, and very soon the enemy would locate him. Taking one last look at his vid-screen, he noticed his forces were still much too far behind to be of any use. “At least with my death they will be accepted again,? he thought. And after taking a deep breath, and readied his weapons. He was comforted by the hum of the charging of the experimental cannon on his right arm. It was funny how similar that hum sounds to the fountain. “How amazing we can compare that which gives life with that which takes it away,? he thought for a moment.

Then all hell broke lose.

Y’he Sha’is heard the scream of a group of missiles through the augmented senses of his suit an instant before a giant explosion hit to his right, throwing his suit to the ground. A second, third and fourth explosion smashed the building he was hiding behind to bits, and knocked the wind from his lungs even in the protection of his XV-8. His ears rang with the noise. He fought to breath. Struggling to get the suit to its feet, he raised his eyes and peered through the dust, switching his visual sensors to thermal mode. Three of the marines’ metal walkers emerged from their drop pods, the cannons on their right arms already spinning. “Information from our Manta showed that the marines had no remaining drop pods. Apparently, these marines are not as dumb as their human cousins,? he thought as he threw his suit to the left, dodging the three missiles that destroyed the spot he was standing before. He could hear the missile pod on the left arm of each dreadnought already loading another missile into its launching tube before the sound of three assault cannons drowned out all other noise. His world went red.

Bullets by the dozen pierced the thick armor of his suit, and many tore at his flesh like wild dogs. He could already feel the stimulant injectors doing their job, forcing foreign fluids into his body, keeping him alive. Y’he Sha’is charged at the nearest monstrosity, firing his plasma rifle and cyclic ion blaster as fast as he could, determined to take one down before passing out from loss of blood. The shots from his CIB bounced harmlessly off of dense armor of the walker, but he could see the shots from his plasma rifle stick like globs of fire to the front armor of the dreadnought before he activated his vectored retro-thrusters to take him over and behind the dreadnought. Commander Deathwind’s eyes picked up tiny spots of red light on the rear of the dread a second before countless missiles struck each dreadnought in turn. His visual sensors went red from the ensuing heat. When he switched his display back to visual mode, only the shattered hulks of three dreadnoughts remained.

Looking to the right, Y’he Sha’is’ heart rose. Lined up for battle, his cadre was an awe-inspiring site. Twenty-four Firewarriors were already jumping out of their devilfish and crawling their way forward to better firing positions. They were taking advantage of the cover offered by the destroyed drop pods and dreadnoughts, exactly as he had taught them.

The vehicles used their increased mobility to begin to envelop the space marines, and drive them from the city. “The earth caste should be thanked for making multi-trackers mandatory,? thought Y’he Sha’is in the midst of the battle. He watched as the pair of hammerhead tanks split formation to travel around the ruined dreadnoughts and opened fire at unseen targets with their smart-missile system. Railguns fired with nothing but a gentle hum and gust of wind, but the submunitions rounds did their deadly work. Farther into the city, the ionhead quickly located the deadly long-fang pack, and opened fire with every element of its arsenal, forcing the marines fall back and take cover deeper in ruins.

As the vehicles spread out through the city, the crisis teams assembled around their Commander, under the watchful eyes of the firewarriors and pathfinders, awaiting amended orders. “Sorry we’re late, Commander,? said Commander M’Yen Ka, with irony in his voice, “Our sensors are still having a hard time locating your suit, and you have a tendency of jumping off without telling us where you are going.?

“Your cadre is trained well, M’Yen Ka,? Y’he Sha’is said.

“Your leadership is a wonderful addition, brother,? responded M’Yen Ka.

“New Heavy Targets acquired!? called the pathfinders before Commander Deathwind could respond to the complement from his friend. All of the crisis teams could hear the zap of a lascannon just before the receiving identical reports from the two hammerheads. “Our railgun has been taken out of commission, retreating behind cover to provide smart-missile system support.?

“These marines can shoot,? thought Y’he Sha’is. Almost instantly, the pathfinders followed with their own dire news, “We are encountering heavy resistance. Enemy troops are quickly advancing directly towards your position, under the cover of a heavy tank, classified - Landraider. Pathfinders redeploying to new location to provide markerlight support. Strongly advise full retreat to reassess situation.?

The crisis looked to their commander for instructions, but their weapons were being readied before the order was even spoken. As one, the 8 crisis launched themselves over the ruins of their enemies, directly at the giant tank bearing down on their position. The firewarriors hidden in cover opened fire on any viable target they could find, and the group of marines began to fall back to prevent heavier casualties. Missiles were launched at the Landraider from each XV-8 with a flash of flame and smoke striking their target, but bouncing off of the thick armor of the vehicle. Plasma fire, similarly, had no effect on the behemoth. Seeing the ineptitude of their attack, Commander Y’he Sha’is ordered the crisis to jump back into cover to continue the mobile barrage, but Commander M’Yen Ka ignored the command of his friend. Instead, he jumped into the line of site the vehicle, readying his Fusion Blaster. “Our fates are the same, Brother,? he said to Y’he Sha’is, “and with this sacrifice, you can wipe the marines from this planet, and earn our place back into the Greater Good.?

Seeing the crisis bound towards them excited the battle-crazed marines. The marines turned in ordered ranks and small arms fire erupted from around the tank, as marines tried in vain to take down the crisis suit. M’Yen Ka landed directly in the path of the lumbering tank, taking careful aim with his Fusion Blaster, and awaited the fate destiny had in store for him.

The driver of the tank carefully adjusted the trajectory of his vehicle, and tried to grind the crisis commander to dust under his tracks. Just before smashing into the crisis, a white-hot orange beam exploded through the front armor of his tank, disabling the controls and boring a whole straight through the vehicle to the rear. The single Fusion shot triggered a massive detonation that leveled the surrounding troops for 50 feet around.

M’Yen Ka looked around and saw marine bodies scattered everywhere. But it was an honor to their augmented bodies that they were already starting to move. He struggled to crawl away from the exploded vehicle and scattered space marines, but the gyros of his suit was severely damaged. Activating his thrusters, he desperately jumped towards the safety of the covering fire of the Firewarriors, crumpling the legs of his suit when he landed. Rolling over, he aimed his weapons towards the tank, awaiting the marines that had already climbed to their feet and reloading their weapons.

A marine in heavier armor than the rest spotted the disabled crisis, and ordered the advance. As the marines began their march, they laid down a withering hail of fire with their bolters, forcing the Firewarriors deeper into cover. The marines smiled as they walked closer to the Tau suit, and were determined to rip the Tau crisis pilot to pieces in hand to hand combat. M’Yen Ka shot his weapons at the mob of marines, dropping two of the power-armored soldiers. This only angered them more. “For Russ!? they screamed as they charged with reckless abandon at the prone crisis suit.

The mighty charge never landed. The sounds of thrusters firing was the only warning as a swarm of Crisis swept out of cover and landed between their comrade and the charging marines. Commander Y’he Sha’is broke away from the other Crisis, and flew directly into the lines of the Space Wolves, halting their charge in its tracks. He crushed a marine by landing directly on the power-armored foe, and the shooting of his CIB took a terrible toll on the enemy. He was a giant striding amongst these men, killing at his leisure. The enraged marines hacked madly at his suit, damaging it in many places, but were unable to hurt the pilot inside. Frustration further fueled their rage. “Perfect,? thought Y’he Sha’is, as, kicking out at a marine who was attempting to drag him down, he launched himself out of the battle, firing the whole way, and landed behind his fellow crisis. More importantly, he jumped out of the line of site of his awaiting cadre.

As one, the Tau cadre opened fire, guided by the markerlights of the pathfinders. Accurate missile, plasma fire, pulse and ion fire swept over the marine’s power armor as every single Tau turned their weapons onto the marines to protect one of their own. The shots exploded out of the marines’ backs, leaving gigantic holes in their once mighty power-armor. Shot after shot poured into the enemy, and even the super-human marines were no match to the overwhelming superiority of Tau weaponry. As the last marine dropped, orders were already being issued.

“Get him to the Orca,? ordered Y’he Sha’is, “He saved us all today. He has shown us what the Greater Good truly means. I will not accept his death.? Firewarriors quickly pulled M’Yen Ka out of his suit, and gently hoisted him into a waiting Devilfish.

Commander Deathwind turned his mind from his brother’s condition and radioed to the waiting Manta. “Enemy located. Stiff fighting encountered. All resistance eliminated. Asking permission to leave scouting route to repair vehicles and equipment,? he asked.

“CASUALTIES,? was the reply from above?

“One: Commander M’Yen Ka. He is being sent via Orca to you. I expect he will get the best care available? Two hammerheads were also damaged.?

“WE WILL DETERMINE THE QUALITY OF HIS CARE. ORDERS ARE TO CONTINUE YOUR SWEEP WITH ALL REMAINING FUNCTIONAL TROOPS AND VEHICLES. ALL DAMAGED VEHICLES ARE TO RETURN TO THE MANTA FOR REFUELING AND REPAIR.?

“And Commander M’Yen Ka??

“OUT.?

“Perhaps Commander Farsight is right…? Y’he Sha’is thought for the second time today.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Listen up you primitive screwheads ... see this ... this is my BOOM-stick!" - Ash

"I told you, it's not Pink! It's Light Red!" Donut on his new power-armor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awsome story. Sounds like you really blew your opponent away.
    KROOT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very good story, my friend. I don't have enough fluff-knowledge to write one of our Space Wolves/Black Templar game that would sound any good compared to that . . . but at least I won that one, lol.

The only thing I don't remember happening in that story was the Land Raider blowing up . . . as I remember at the end of the game it was still rolling . . . the only unit of mine still alive, but it was still there.

But hey, it makes for a good story.
    "There will never be enough peace in the universe unless first there is enough war." - Farseer Eleuflin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Shhhh.... that's called "embellishment".

I couldn't figure out a way to leave it alive and make the story as good. You'll also note that an HQ did not die, but 1/2 of a crisis team. But it made the story better.
    Last edited by Y'he Sha'is; October 26th, 2006 at 02:06.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Listen up you primitive screwheads ... see this ... this is my BOOM-stick!" - Ash

"I told you, it's not Pink! It's Light Red!" Donut on his new power-armor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Y'he Sha'is View Post
    Shhhh.... that's called "embellishment".

I couldn't figure out a way to leave it alive and make the story as good. You'll also note that an HQ did not die, but 1/2 of a crisis team. But it made the story better.
    Ahh, as long as everyone ELSE knows that . . . for what VERY little it was worth . . . lol

I might try to do a write up of our SW/BT game, actually . . . it sounds like a fun exercize. But no promises that I'll actually feel good enough about it to actually post it. It will probably have similar embellishments, but mine will be due to lack of memory, not just to make the story better :-)
    "There will never be enough peace in the universe unless first there is enough war." - Farseer Eleuflin

+ Reply to Thread