Hilly guide to Aussie Tourneys - The top 5 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x1)

Hilly guide to Aussie Tourneys - The top 5

I have placed this here as this fourm does not (that I have found) have a tournament section. While not the best place I would prefer it does not disappear to somewhere obsecure where people cant find it. I know I am interested in reading about other tourney scenes so I am kinda hoping this inspires others to do the same for there local events.

Review of Australian 40 K Tournaments – Hilly’s top 5

Well this is something that I have wanted to do for a while. The aim is to let people know about the really good tourneys that are out there in Australia. While I have not been to every tourney that is run within Australia, I have been to quite a few of them. I was not sure how to approach this initially hence the delay between the idea and putting it up here. My original idea was to post up the tourneys that are worth going to and those to avoid, however; this could create some serious angst, so I decided to refine it as my top 5 tourneys in Australia. There was the added criteria that they had to have been held in 2006, with an indication they would be run again.

What I have tried to do is compare the tourneys that I have been too, looking at a number of factors including venue, level of organisation, size, quality of terrain, and then in my opinion rank them.

Why do this, well for the tourneys that get listed here it is a free bit of advertising, but more importantly if gives kudos to the organisers who put in a lot of effort before and after the event, but don’t always get the recognition. It will also give gamers that are new to tourneys a list of tourneys that are worth going to, and for those like me that are prepared to travel it highlights the worthwhile interstate events.

Number 5

Komplete Fantik (KF) - Victoria

KF is the brain child of Andrew Long who Victorians will know quite well from his involvement in the Vic tourney scene. It is a GW event that is a little different from the rest. It looks to get gamers to do that little step further and it is this challenge that appeals to most of the people that go it. KF has run for the last 3 years and generally gets 50+ people along to the 40K section.

Andrew has made a significant effort to create new and challenging missions that keep players on their toes and force you to think not only about the mission itself but your army selection. In addition players are encouraged to model specific things like commandos/messengers, objectives, and this year Cities of Death stratagems.

The venue is a little out of the way, especially for the interstate people, with very limited public transport. However, accommodation is available close to the venue and is decently priced. Despite this, the venue does provide a good gaming area with heaps of space so there are no concerns about squeezing past people or being in each others pockets. A canteen has been run at the hall in the past. There is also disabled access and a good sized car park.

Terrain has been a little checked in the past, but has been improving over the years, and of course getting players to bring some City of Death terrain also helped.

The players pack was well put together and easy to follow, there are some things that players need to do in advance, but again this is clear in the pack.

One of the downsides to this tourney is the “cloak and dagger� approach to the scoring system. Unlike most GTs and other tourneys there is very little released regarding the composition scoring and from my discussions with Andrew it does appear to be very subjective based on what the judges like. This has caused a few people to avoid it. But overall they look to do something a little different and elements of this system have been adopted by GTs throughout the country.

KF is normally a 5 game event (they ran 6 this year but indications are they will go back to 5 next year) run at 1850 points. Cost over the last 3 years has been $50. it is normally held in August.

Number 4

SA GT – South Australia

Once again a GW run event this one was run in Nov, however; they are looking to move it to Aug for next year. Again this tourney is 5 games and costs $50, although runs at 1500 points.

As a more standard tourney this used the rulebook missions, but played them at various levels, this year they opted for 1 x Alpha, 1 x Omega (escalation) and 3 x Gamma.

The venue was the Cheltenham Park Racecourse, about 10 mins north of the Adelaide CBD. While I used a hire car to get around Adelaide does have a good public transport system and I see no dramas using it to get to this tourney. The venue did have a bar and bistro, although some people did experience significant delays getting food from the bistro. Additionally there are a number of fast food places within a 5 min drive of the racecourse. Tea and Coffee was able upstairs near the gaming tables and there were more than a few gamers that were relying on that in the mornings to get them through there hangovers!

The terrain in the SA GT was some of the bet I have seen, all tables had a theme and they focused on making practical terrain (ie forests where you can lift the trees up and place models in them).

One of the good things about SA GT was the people, the staff and fellow gamers were very welcoming and it makes this tourney a worthwhile venture for those people looking to travel from interstate. A word of warning with accommodation though, have a close look where you are staying as some of the cheaper accommodation is right under the airport flight path!

SA GT is a tourney that was well run, a few mistakes were made, but these guys have only run two and are looking for ways to improve future events. The players pack was released in advance and provided good guidance on the scoring system and what players were required to prepare. They were pretty good to sticking to timings and not wasting too much time waiting around for the next round or results.

Number 3

Phenomenon (Pheno) - ACT

Pheno was a new tourney to the scene in 2006 and piggy backs onto a larger non GW event that involves role-playing and non-miniature based events. Run over the Queen’s Birthday Long Weekend this is an 8 game event run at 1500 points. Cost was about $30 from memory, definitely good value for money.

Canberra is pretty easy to get around and there is some good public transport available, in addition there is some relatively cheap accommodation available quite close to the venue.

The venue itself is a school and as 40 K was quite small (limited to 20 pers) it was split over 2 classrooms that joined. That said there was more than enough room and it is anticipated that there will be more positions at next year’s event. Paul was running his first ever tourney this year and did a great job, ensuring the rounds ran smoothly and that the results at the end were done in a timely fashion.

One of the good things about this event was despite 20 people being present the quality of competitors was quite high. I expect that as word gets out about this tourney more people will come to it, and it has the potential to become a very big event.

Terrain was quite good and the missions provided a good mix of rulebook missions and US/UK Gt missions. In addition to playing some different missions there were a few different levels thrown in as well.

There was a canteen available however it did not sell hot food, but with Dickson shopping centre around the corner that is not really a problem.

Number 2

Cities of Steel - NSW

This was another tourney that started up this year, again with a first time TO. Cities of Steel was held in the outer suburbs of Newcastle 2 hours north of Sydney. The venue was the top floor of an RSL, which although a little hot did provide a drink lift (yeah OH&S reasons) for your cooling ale. As the name might reveal it was a City of Death tourney, using the missions and rule updates from the new Codex.

Firstly I have to say that the terrain was superb, some serious work went into making this terrain and it showed. Unfortunately it was not fully finished (ie painted) but it was still definitely well built and well designed and the stuff that was painted was very good indeed. With Cities of Death if you don’t have the terrain it really does spoil the game, so it was good to see it all there.

The event was well organised, 5 round event using 1750 point armies. The scoring system was clear and easily understood by all players. Cost was approximately $30.

I did not really look into public transport to the venue, but there is a station nearby so I am guessing it is not too bad. Accommodation would be fairly easy to find as well, depending on the level of creature comfort you are after. Not sure if food was available at the venue, although there are plenty of shops in the main street within walking distance.

This tourney definitely has the potential to become quite large as well, it was definitely worth the effort of making it too.

Number 1

Tasmanian State Championships and Emperor’s Legion

Well when looking at the tourneys I have attended these two really standout as being the best. Emperor’s Legion has been running for sometime and Bails the TO does an amazing job, ensuring there is a good mix between serious gaming and little hearted comedy. The Tasmanian State Championships (TSC) was a very smoothly run event, that went like clockwork, the staff were great the venue great, terrain great, you get the idea. Too do these tourneys justice I will look at each in turn.

Emperor’s Legion – NSW

Emperor’s Legion is held out in Penrith about 50km West of Sydney, it is a 5 round 1750 point event, which cost about $30 to enter, held in Sept. Bails has been running this event for a number of years and has always run a consistently good event. The venue is a PCYC hall that provides the basics. While it does get a little cold and the grannies coming in at five can cause fear in even he most stalwart gamers, it does provide good open spaces for playing and easy access to shops for sustenance.

Bails always ensures that the missions used are not just the same old boring ones and rotates them each year to keep things interesting. Once again the terrain here is quite good and the tourney is well supported by the local club members. In addition to getting support from the club Bails is a member of, he also gain great prize support, and while this is not the most important factor it is still worth mentioning.

The best thing about this tourney is the effort that Bails puts in and the obvious enthusiasm that he has towards the hobby. By immersing himself and his personality into the event you are guaranteed a great time.

TSC – Tasmania

Well this has run for at least two years, generally in Jul, I missed the opportunity to go last year, but this year I decided to go instead of going to the Sydney GT. I have to say that I am glad that I did. The guys down at Area 52 in Hobart did an amazing job with this event. It runs over 2 days with 5 games at 1500 points, it does cost $65, but this includes a lunch with drink, and an afternoon tea on both days. The food they provide is quite nice as well.

I did not use the public transport system in Hobart as the distance was so short that I could walk to the event from where I was staying. Being held in a hotel there is also the option of staying there, so venue wise it is quite good indeed. The gamming room was a little crowded despite being capped at 40 people, but having access to the balcony was quite good.

This event ran like absolute clockwork, if they said you would start at a time, you could set your watch by it; it was so well co-ordinated. This is a must though for interstate visitors due to the limited flights in and out of Hobart. They were also very accommodating to the out of state people they had at the event, ensure that we were just sitting in the corner like Nigel No-Mates.

Once again I have to say that the terrain at TSC was some of the best I have seen in the country and there was so much of it. In fact I am going to say it was the best that I have seen in Australia at a tourney in 2006!

This event is definitely on my agenda for next year.

Conclusion

Ok well that pretty much wraps it up. While I have been to 22 different tourneys (ie not including the ones I have been to two or more times) these are the top 5 in my opinion. I am not saying that the others were not worth going to, or that I would not go to them again, but these are the ones that I would recommend to people if I was asked and the reasons why I would. As you can see there is a mix not only of experienced TO’s but also GW and non – GW run events. I think it shows how good the tourney scene is in Australia at the moment.

As I said at the top, tell us all about your tourney scene, I know I am interested and looking to travel so who knows might see you at one of your local events you recommended!

Army most recently finished (well kinda): Space Wolves
    Last Project completed: Converted Aegis Defence Lascannon
    Next Project: Long Fang Diaorama

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

76 (x1)

very cool mate, awesome work. You forgot MOAB though... :cry:
    Cities of Steel is the only one i can possibly go to, but i plan to go to Conflict and MOAB next year to staty my tournament experience. Great guide regardless. It seems like im the only one who sees some of your works :cry:

Random Note: I follow your two 40k Tacticas like a religion :w00t:
    Last edited by Legionnaire; November 12th, 2006 at 10:40.
    "In dedicato imperatum ultra articulo mortis"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x1)

Cheers mate.

The idea of this was the tourneys that I really reccomend to people especially the ones where people have to travel distance too. Dont get me wrong MOAB is a good tourney as well, but I had to limit myself a little, in this case to the top 5.

What I may do here is something that has been done on another site, if I am allowed by the mods that is, and post a tourney calendar for Australia, but I will see how that goes.

By the way thanks for the link to my tacticas in your sig!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

76 (x1)

a tourney calendar would be awesome! if you need help with Sydney tourney costs, dates, rules, etc i might be able to help
    "In dedicato imperatum ultra articulo mortis"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

!!!!!

If there is EVER a tournament on in Canberra again please tell me. I always thought this place was dead to 40k. I've been looking for a club for ages now. I can't believe I missed the tourney!
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x1)

Lordlink,

I know of two clubs in ACT - CGS Canberra Gaming Society and a club at ANU. I dont know too many more details than that at the moment but if you are interested I should be able to find something in my email inbox ref both.

As for the ACT tourneys I know of three:

CANCON - Aust Day long weekend 8 games 3 days 1750 points
    Pheno - Queens B'day long weekend 8 games 3 days 1500 points
    ANUCON - Sep 5-6 games 2 days 1500 points

I should have a POC to all three still but when they get confirmed for next year i will let you know via PM or here.

Hilly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Sorry Hilly but Null_Sheen already showed me this site Link so he got my 16 rep points.
    Last edited by LordLink; November 13th, 2006 at 07:10. Reason: cleaned up the link
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

+ Reply to Thread