1700 Eldar vs Marines Rescue - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

1700 Eldar vs Marines Rescue

1700 Points SwordWind vs Iron Knights

Eldar
    Eldrad Ulthran

9 fire dragons + exarch /w firepike

5 howling banshees + exarch /w executioner

9 striking scorpions + exarch /w biting blade, stalker

5 dire avengers

5 pathfinders

4 warp spiders + exarch /w double death spinner

Falcon /w pulse laser, 2 shuriken cannons, holo-fields, spirit stones, star engines, vectored engines (Epsilon)

Falcon /w pulse laser, 2 shuriken cannons, holo-fields, spirit stones, star engines, vectored engines (Echo)

Space Marines
    Never Despair, Die Standing

Chapter Master /w power weapon, BP, bionics, iron halo, frag, termy honours

Chaplain of Sanctity /w crozius, rosarius, BP, frag, termy honours

4 command marines

Librarian Codicier /w force weapon, BP, fury of the ancients, terminator armour

4 command terminators

6 tacticals /w heavy bolter (Squad 1)
    6 tacticals /w heavy bolter (Squad 2)
    6 tacticals /w plasma gun, lascannon (Squad 3)

6 tacticals /w plasma gun, (Squad 4)
    Razorback /w extra armour, twin-lascannon

4 assault marines + vet serge /w power fist

5 devastators /w 4 missile launchers

Land Raider

Prologue
    Well I’m now vsing my brothers marines with the new eldar. I have now lost ‘The Frozen Leaves Falling to Cut’ (my new army name apparently) so forgive my troops choices. They were all I owned. Eldrad Ulthran is actually named Kion Gcheilin and is my Farseer. Raven got a makeover. I just designed my own character using Eldrad’s rules since its so unfluffy to use him in a non-Ulthwe army.

Terrain
    Well I had a forest down on the left side of my deployment zone. He got a trench up in his. We then scattered various bits of 5+ and 6+ cover all over the board (nothing but the forest blocked LoS).

Mission was rescue, yes! My speed will help. No! I’m all in reserve, bugger. There were generally 2 markers on my side, 2 on his and 2 in the middle (1 closer to him, 1 closer to me). We didn’t pay to much attention to how far away they were from each other as it was only a small board (just over 50? long). We needed to find objective #3.

Deployment
    He won the roll for where to deploy and chose the side with the trench. Mine was simple, the pathfinders sat in the forest and the dire avengers hid behind it. He lined up all his tactical marines along the edge of his deployment zone ready to simply march forwards in a sweep across the board.

I won the roll for 1st turn and chose to go 1st (I desperately needed my reserves before he got his). In hindsight though I think last turn would have helped me better, even if it did mean his reserves coming to annihilate my few troops.

The Arallis was an artifact of amazing power to the eldar since before the fall. Unfortunately the librarians of the Iron Knights also sought to possess this xeno power to smite their enemies. Now both sides had landed ground forces to seek out the artifact and wield its powers against their foes.

Eldar 1
    Well the avengers sit out of sight waiting for backup and the pathfinders aren’t in range of anything. That was an eventful turn.

Avenger Taranis knelt shrouded in the forest, he had been ordered to do a preliminary search for the Arallis. Seemingly from nowhere the pathfinders appeared before him. “The mon-keigh are coming, call for re-enforcements, we shall try to slow their sweep for the artifact.?

Space Marines 1
    The line marches forth, everything advancing and nothing able to fire. Reserves makes the early turns so slow. The razorback goes 12?, straining its engines abut since it deployed further back it was part of the line anyway.

“Men! Each marine is to separate 3 paces apart. The line shall advance and we will find the xeno artifact. It will be handed over to the Inquisition once we have used it to annihilate our old nemesis.? Segaul’s voice cut out from each marines helmet. Segaul sat with the thunderhawks, awaiting the last of the heavy armour to be deployed. The battlefield ahead was still eerily silent.

Eldar 2
    My entire army turns up except for the 2 HQ. Well that was interesting and certainly intimidating watching my ENTIRE board edge fill up with troops in an instant. Fire Dragons advanced down the left side, ready to fleet through objectives. Scorpions advance down the centre, ready to bring down his line eventually. The warp spiders jump down the middle, trying to tease a hole in the line. Banshees hop into Epsilon and Dire Avengers hop into Echo. Both falcons manage to hide behind the forest. The Pathfinders have another go at the left most squad but fail to kill any (damn 4 1’s to wound). The reapers start setting up their weapons right at the back of the board. Epsilon manages to draw a small angle at the left most marine squad and kills 1 with a shuriken.

The leaves made barely a sound as wave upon wave of eldar soldiers advanced upon the mon-keigh. Kion ordered his troops forwards as he desperately tried to guide the new avatar through the woodlands and into the open planes ahead.

Space Marine 2
    Land Raider arrives down the left side (avoiding the fire dragons)! Command squad does too and jumps right in. The devastators also arrive and advance into the trench. The left most squad runs onto the objective and turns over a 3! Damn that was the one right up close to him. Well now the entire line wheels around, walking over to protect the objective. The Land Raider shoots at the fire dragons since the new rules make them much nastier tank hunters (10 S9 metaguns!). He kills 5 and I fail morale, I then decide I probably should check range and it turns out the heavy bolter couldn’t reach. Turns out he only killed 2 and they don’t run after all.

Segaul arrived with the armour just in time to find his marines had discovered the artifact. Excellent, there would not even be a battle if his soldiers could return it to the land raider.

Eldar 3
    Ok well all my units have just left my board edge and he already has the objective! Uh oh. I decide to kick in the new star engines and both falcons go zooming 36? forwards, blocking the objective from running back to the corner (or even worse into the land raider). Eldrad comes in from reserve and tries to fortune the scorpions. He was out of range though but managed to wound himself anyway. He then guided the reapers and fortuned the fire dragons. The pathfinders also take another round of shooting at the objective and snipe off 1, managing to pin them in place (although the falcons had basically done that). The dark reapers unload their firepower onto Squad 3 and kill everyone except the lascannon guy. The warp spiders leap forwards and shoot into the razorback, blowing of its only gun and shaking it.

Kion shook visibly as a horrifying vision swept before his eyes. Mon-keigh hands holding the Arallis high and unleashing masses of eldritch lightning upon his army. Kion sounded an alarm through the minds of every eldar within miles. Every one of them knew it was now an uphill struggle for the Arallis. The falcons screamed over the top of the woods and locked onto the Arallis’ power signal. In perfect concert they drove circles around the mon-keigh with the artifact, pinning them down and isolating them from help.

Space Marine 3
    Neither of his remaining reserves come into play. All his considerable anti-tank weaponry opens fire on the falcons, only managing to shake both of them. The razorback charges forwards and unloads its marines, they rapid-fire the warp spiders, killing 2, and the plasma gunner melted himself. Squad 2 continued its steady advance to reach the objective squad and keep it safe.

Victory had seemed certain until the xeno vehicles had screamed over the horizon in seconds. He yelled an order into communications to bring the falcons down and the guns of the Imperium opened full fire. As the smoke cleared both falcons continued, their pattern un-interrupted by the fire around them.

Eldar 4
    Avatar arrives but it’s highly unlikely he can affect this game now. The falcons deliver the banshees and avengers, between shooting and assault they wipe out the entire marine squad and the banshee exarch picks up the objective. I should have given it to the avengers though so as to force him to choose between the dangerous squad OR the objective squad. Not both. Meanwhile the falcons are having enormous fun with tank shock, since they are both shaken Epsilon drives the devastators out of their trench and both Squad 2 and the lone lascannon man fleeing before the tank. The pathfinders failed to do a thing but between the warp spiders and the reapers squad 4 was blown off the board. A few fire dragons manage to make range to the razorback, promptly killing it.

Kion had finally brought all his forces to the field, his fastest squads beginning to close with the enemy. The falcons slowed just enough to allow the aspect warriors to leap forth, cutting the mon-keigh down. Kion felt his mind instantly sharpen the moment eldar hands touched the Arallis once more.

Space Marine 4
    The assault marines and terminators both deep-strike down the left side, just behind the objective. In a massive salvo of firepower the banshees and avengers are blown off the board, the command squad disembarking from the land raider and ready to assault in case something survived. A fire dragon dies to fury of the ancients (it hit Eldrad and the warp spiders too but they made their saves). Squad 2 can’t see a damn thing thanks to the dead razorback in front of them. The Devastators are forced to regroup (move back into coherency) in front of their trench.

“Damn the falcons, all fire on the xeno’s themselves. Fire at Will!? Segaul felt his faith in his men returning as the eldar were drowned in gunfire. Blown to pieces by the heavy weaponry. His saviour arrived from the sky as the chapters librarians sensed his danger and brought the first company to help. More and more troops appeared from the sky, blocking the eldar advance.

Eldar 5
    Uh oh, the objectives in the middle of his entire army. But I have the magic of falcons! Epsilon turns back from the devs and sits on the objective to prevent anyone else getting it. I have full confidence Epsilon can survive the hail of firepower, especially with the new vectored engines. Everything runs as fast at it can towards the objective. Echo even flies back 36? to pick up the pathfinders. My plan was that if I can use his Never Despair against him I can get the pathfinders onto the objective to help out. If I fail to roll the 4+ for his trait then at least I get a draw (unless he can stop me sitting tanks on top of the objective). Eldrad Ulthran tries to fortune the scorpions and mind war the librarian but the psychic hood manages to foil all 3 powers. Epsilon tries to melt a terminator or 2 but fails to wound.

Kion felt his mental powers collapse as dead hands held the Arallis. Combined with the strain the psychic hood concealed somewhere on the field was putting on him he felt his powers all but useless. Epsilon continued its dance around the artifact as Echo came back for help. All eldar bodies pressed on towards the Arallis regardless of cost. The marines stood stubbornly trying to find a target, their delay would cost them this battle.

Space Marine 5
    Everything points at Epsilon, he desperately needs to get his command squad onto the rescue marker. Epsilon undergoes a hail of firepower (assault cannons in the rear did nothing) and comes out only shaken. The assault marines then shoot it in the rear and manage to immoblise Epsilon. F***. My opponent now points out he can force a draw by refusing to shoot Epsilon, it didn’t crash because I took vectored engines, thus no-one can get to the objective. I realise that’s correct and ask him if wants the draw then. He accepts it. Bit of a boring ending for a good scrap.

Segaul saw one of the falcons return to the enemy lines. Seizing his chance every gun at his command was put upon the remaining tank. The roar was enormous…

Epilogue

“What’s happening back there?? screamed Epsilons pilot. The heat was growing every second and explosions began ripping through the engines. The mon-keigh engines may be crude but they certainly punched holes in his tank. With an almighty screech the engines gave way and tore free from Epsilon. The pilot screamed as his mighty falcon crashed towards the ground, striking the dead banshee exarch and more important the valuable Arallis. Everyone on the battlefield, eldar and mon-keigh alike felt the shockwave of the artifacts destruction. Kion’s mind lost all sense of self control. The avatar was beside him, crying for blood and his army was ready.
    “Crush the mon-keigh once and for all?.

Well man of the match was going to go to Epsilon until he cost me the game covering the rescue marker. Echo gets it instead for outstanding service and some hell good star engines. I think I definitely had the better position. If I failed to roll the 4+ for his Never Despair then it would be a draw unless my fire dragons or Eldrad got a really lucky fleet roll (never measured how far they were). The avatar was about to do something and assault his terminators and that would have cost him. Basically I held every advantage except the one that mattered. Ah well, next time I’m having a house rule saying I’m allowed to shoot (and kill) my own units as a wreckage would have allowed me to climb on to the objective.

Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Cool report. Suprisingly descriptive for not having pictures. I don't have the rulebook in front of me, but are you sure a falcon can park on an artifact? It can park on terrain, but it can't park on units. I'd be suspicious that it can't park on artifacts either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

I tank shocked the unit with the resuce marker. I couldn't find any rules stopping me from putting the falcon over it once it had ben dropped.

Sorry the fluff for this report wasn't to good. It was getting late and I was in a hurry.

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you can park a tank on a rescue marker. I don't have the rules infront of me, but when you tank shock a unit it's not like you sit on them, they move out of the way. Besides, just looking at the logistics of it makes it seem really unfair. He had his whole army ready to take the objective, but you parked on it so you could deny him the objective until you got another squad that could jump in and take it.

If you can land on objectives i would personally consider it a bad sportsman kind of move. Imagine if someone tank shocked your scoring squad with a land raider and, lacking any squad that could take it, simply sat there parked on it and waited for the end of the game.

In any case, good batrep. I like how you had the sections of fluff below the actual turn movement. Bit like a commanders commentry on the action.
    Serin Cloudeye - The Sharpened Steel Alchemist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As per the rulebook (p.6, wrecked vehicles are Difficult terrain for infantry, so he could have blown up the Falcon and then crawled through the wreckage...assuming he got one final move, that is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

228 (x8)

But thats where the catch came in. The new vectored engines meant I didn't crash. I was only immobilised. He could have killed it turn 5, I walk on turn 6 then he tries to take it turn 6. But that would have been very risky for him as I was winning in points and could use his Never Despair against him. I also had another falcon I could park over the old one.

So in the end he refused to kill it, let it stay immoblised so that no-one could walk in and it was a forced draw.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oooh, sneaky! It's not every day that NOT killing something benefits you.

I figured right after I posted that there'd be something I was missing

+ Reply to Thread