Farm Animals Vs. Space Marines 1500 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Farm Animals Vs. Space Marines 1500

Farm Animals vs Space Marines 1500

Here we go. The animals are off on their 1st test run. Next game I'll use a dinosaur. Promise.

Farmer /w shotgun, cat companion, 6 pack, fat, animal friend

3 goats

Ferret

10 pigs /w 3 heavy pig weapons

10 pigs /w scrap launcher

20 sheep

10 chickens

8 horses

8 geese

3 cows /w bolt throwers

3 cows-2 /w cat passengers, 1 /w bolt thrower

LAND CRUISER

Trust Your Battle Brothers
    Die Standing

Chapter Master /w power weapon, bolt pistol, bionics, frag

Reclusiarch /w crozius, rosarius, terminator armour, bolt pistol, frag, bionics

4 command terminators /w 2 assault cannons

5 tacticals /w plasma gun, TYBB

5 tacticals /w plasma gun, TYBB

5 tacticals /w heavy bolter, TYBB

5 tacticals /w heavy bolter, TYBB

3 bikers

4 assault marines
    veteran sergeant /w power fist

6 devastators /w 3 missiles, 1 lascannon

Land Raider

Ok I’m not so sure on his army list but I’m pretty sure that was it. Now I was vsing my brother here and he’s only 12 years old so not quite a tactical genius. He also had a disadvantage in that he didn’t know all the tricks behind the farm animals. This was only a playtest game to find all the lumps in my codex.

Everything is from my point of view. I was in the bottom-right corner. Mission was Cleanse.

Terrain
    Basically we had a forest in the bottom left, a huge rock pillar in the centre, a stable (with Jesus in it! [thankyou Christmas decorations]) was in my deployment zone, size 3 terrain.
    There were some size 2 treelike things from beneath the fish tank in his quarter (top left) and a few trees in top right. We scattered bits of 5+ and 6+ cover everywhere including a 4+ low wall in the top left.

Deployment
    He got to choose his quarter and picked the low wall for cover. He deployed the Land Raider so as to be obscured by the weird fish tank thing. Everything else piled up along the very back of his quarter. He thought assault cannons were 36? so they were poorly placed at the very back. Devs got the low wall. Bikes and assault marines went to the edges prepared to try and take table quarters (he hadn’t really thought as far head as me shooting them).

I deployed my farmer with the sheep a bit further back in my quarter to keep him safe. The cc cows and the geese deployed behind the stable on the right side. Pig A (heavy pig weapons) deployed at my far left whilst B deployed on the far top right. Gun cows deployed in the centre of my quarter with good LoS and 5+ cover. The chickens hid behind them. The horses went down the left side to meet his assault marines head on. The goats got scattered up throughout the quarter.

He won the roll for 1st turn. My goats rolled two 5’s and a 3. I had 2 goats able to stun vehicles on a 4+ and one capable of PoWing people on a 4+ (within 18?).

Space Marine Turn 1
    I don’t think he’d fully noticed his range limitations yet as nothing really moved. The bikes went into the top right corner and assault marines into the bottom left. From shooting the land raider managed to stun my LAND CRUISER. His heavy bolters manage to kill a gun cow with some lucky to hit rolls and wound another twice. The devastators managed to blow a single horse off the table.

Farm Animals 1
    Farmer, sheep, chickens all advanced forwards, cc cows. Pig A moved into bottom left corner whilst pig B moved into top right. The geese flew around the top right to try and flank the marines with the horses coming in from the other side. In the shooting phase all of my anti-tank weapons managed to miss the land raider. On a slightly better note my S3 chicken guns managed to blow the T5 bikers off the board (with a bit of help from some S3 pig guns). The horses charged into the assault marines but he passed so many armour saves and only 1 died. The marines managed to wound a horse then the power fist finished him off.

Space Marine 2
    Now he realised he had to move to win this game; if only to let his termies out of the corner. Just about everything split up and headed for a table quarter. The devastators stayed still and only managed to wound a cc cow. Since everything moved nothing really has range. In close combat the horses kill another assault marine but another one dies to that damn power fist. This time I fail morale and break and run; just escaping sweeping advance. This could be a good thing…

Farm Animals 2
    Everything kept advancing in its respective directions, confident that the faster units would keep them safe as they held objectives. This time the LAND CRUISER could advance 12? too. The geese were just out of charge range of his tactical marines and the cc cows weren’t far behind. All of my anti-tank missed again but a goat managed to stun the land raider. The horses rallied and charged straight back into close combat with the assault marines; trampling every one of them to death before they could strike. Some guns from some pigs went off but failed to kill anything. This was also the turn my ferret arrived. I’d been looking forwards to that. He didn’t scatter far enough to put him out of charge range and slammed into the terminators. He failed to wound anything and nothing in the squad could hit him.

Space Marine 3
    His marines just kept advancing at me. His terminators still out of range (very bad deployment)! The land raider stayed still and tried to hit the LAND CRUISER with power of the machine spirit and did so but failed to break its armour. His devastators backed that up though. Only 2 missile launchers hit and I told him he needed a 6 to glance. He proceeded to roll double 6 and immobilised and stunned my LAND CRUISER. He managed to kill a few geese with bolter fire. In close combat the ferret killed a terminator but he managed to roll a 6 to hit! I almost cried for my poor ferret but he rolled a 1 to wound! My ferret had a gaping hole in his stomach and was fighting on anyway!

Farm Animals 3
    Everything kept advancing; I was now in solid control of the centre and could spread into any corner. My LAND CRUISER failed to repair itself. The pig squad in the bottom-left was securely hidden behind the forest. That looked like a guaranteed objective for me. My anti-tank finally hit his land raider and immobilised it, a goat stunned it too. A goat PoWed his chapter master, taking a wound off. The chickens and other pigs firepower reduced a tactical squad to just its heavy bolter. The geese charged into this thing and slaughtered it, consolidating into the next heavy bolter squad. The horses charged into a plasma gun toting squad in the top-left but only manage to kill 1. Thanks to TYBB he managed to club 1 to death! Bah another combat lost. I passed morale. The Ferret was the highlight of the turn though. He failed to kill anything due to poor wounding rolls and his chaplain rolled three 6’s to hit. I lost my ferret that round…

Space Marines 4
    His land raider failed to do anything with power of the machine spirit. His devs and remaining guns managed to completely wipe my cc cows off the board. His damn TYBB meant he broke my geese and they ran away (I forgot to hit and run). He also had his chapter master nearby but forgot to charge him in. The terminators charged into my horses and wiped them from the board. Only his plasma gunner remained of the tacticals they had charged though. Oh well I had been a bit to bold with my horses anyway.

At this point in the game I had complete board control and had secured the 2 side quarters. I was preparing for an assault on his quarter but without my cc cows I don’t know how effective it would have been. He had more points remaining on the board than I did though so it could have gone either way.

Unfortunately due to time, space and family problems we had to stop the game at that point and call it a draw. It had served its purpose anyway. I felt I had to do a report for the animals 1st battle even if it did go unfinished.

Things I Learned: Don’t get over-confident with horses, a few lucky saves and they get awfully exposed. Be more aggressive with your farmer. Use his awesome power in cc before the game ends. Make sure you have plenty of guns. Pigs should be used for shooting and other units for grabbing objectives. Chickens are awesome. I need to buy some dogs and build some bees. I also need to base my animals as they took forever to move, especially the damn sheep.

Flaws in the Codex: Goats need some serious range limitations on their powers and probably need to cost more. Cows need to cost a lot more. Ferrets aren’t the ultimate killing machines they look like on paper. My tanks need a few vehicle options. Pigs need their options fixed up.

Apart from goats everything ran quite smoothly. The closeness of the game showed we were about even. I didn’t realise just how much of a horde army my animals were.

My opponent’s observations: Why the hell do your guys have so many wounds?
    My response: You notice how I haven’t been rolling armour saves...

I quite liked how the alternatives to armour saves worked out. They make me much more vulnerable to small arms fire but more resilient to the big guns. Fairly balanced I think.

Four Legs Good! Two Legs Bad!

Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    100 (x5)

Sounds like you had a lot of fun I look forward to hearing the next battle report, after you iron out the kinks in the army. And I don't want a draw next time, I expect a result...and a dinosaur dammit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Visitor Q View Post
    By the powers I have just made up I, hereby award you with the Signature
    LO's Offical Uber GM
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMane View Post
    dr_nick you are LO's GMing god!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

*scratches head* I'm obviously missing something here....
    Nights Justice Space Marines
    Eldar Eth Kariel Craftworld
    Spear of Kurnous - High Elf Expeditionary Army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

lol I forgot to add.

Click on the link in my signature to find the rules for Codex: Farmyard Animals.

Its a cool new codex I've created. Its rapidly becoming very similar to a real codex and who knows. Some day i might submit it to White Dwarf.

EDIT: oh and I'd updated the rules for the codex before hand and hadn't converted it to LO yet. There were a few new things (the ferret didn't explode for one) but its still basically the same.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What, no pics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh, now this is the kind of fun that 40k should be all about :D

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

I loved the fact that the battle took place in the middle of the Nativity scene! Something the gospel writers failed to mention!
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bwahaha, that Codex of yours is great :lol: Cool batrep, hope to see more of the animals in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LordLink View Post

Farmer /w shotgun, cat companion, 6 pack, fat, animal friend

I read that not even knowing what this farm animals army was and I began laughing!

Priceless!
    In the rule book, on page 5, it says:
    "The most important rule about playing games of Warhammer 40K is to have fun!"

+ Reply to Thread