1850 Eldar vs Tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Hunched Over My Workbench, furiously painting away.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

1850 Eldar vs Tyranids

Game 5 for me with my new Eldar, first win. 1850 points. Playing against a HUGE horde list.

Eldar List:

HQ

Farseer, with doom and guide, singing spear.

Elites
    5 Fire Dragons with Exarch,

7 Harlies with kisses (2 with fusion pistols) 1 troupe leader, 1 shadowseer, both with kisses.

5 wraithguard, accompanied by spiritseer with destructor.

Troops (x2)
    9 Dire Avengers with Exarch (twin cats), bladestorm, in wave serpent T/L shuriken cannons, s. cannon upgrade.

Heavy
    Falcon with scatter laser, s.cannon upgrade, holofield - FD's deploy in here

Wraithlord with twin flamers, brightlance, and wraithsword

3 warwalkers each with spirit stone, scatter laser, star cannon.

Tyranids:

HQ
    Winged Hive tyrant (unsure of armament)

Broodlord with retinue of genestealers (9?)

Elites
    2 Squads of 3 warriors, leaping, rending (and possibly shredding)

Troops
    2 units of genestealers (9-ish)

4 squads of gaunts of various flavors (roughly 20 in each)

Heavy

3 Zoanthropes.

Fast
    3 Raveners.

Terrain - 20% cover in the form of city ruins, scattered evenly across the 4x6' board.

Mission - Meatgrinder.

I won deployment, so he placed first. His hordes literally covered the deployment zone from edge to edge. The tyrant, broodlord and zoanthropes were clustered around the 'north western' corner. I had chosen to deploy primarily in the north east corner reinforcing a ruin. Since I knew death would be pouring in at me from all sides, I decided to use my transports primarily as mobile fire platforms to harass the flanks of the inevitable attack on my strong point.

Turns- Of course I lost 1st turn (I have YET to go first with my eldar ).

Turn 1 'nid.
    He simply poured forward, fleeting where possible. Minimal psychic fire from the 'thropes did no damage. His turn ended up with the tyrant AND broodlord + retinue just outside of my stronghold, with one of the stealer squads just behind the broodlord. It was terrifying to see all of those bugs descending in a tsunami on my position!

Turn 1 eldar.
    Farseer doomed the broodlord and retinue, and guided the wraithguard. The harlies jumped out of cover and ran along the north edge toward the stealers. Dire avenger squad 1 exited their wave serpent just behind the killer clowns. DA squad 2 took up a similar position on the southern side of my stronghold. The falcon angled around to the south to attempt a shot at the nearest 'thrope.

In shooting, the 3 wraithguard who were close enough to fire thru the terrain all hit the tyrant and dealt 3 wounds to the big bug. DA squad 1 shot into the brood lord + stealers with a blade storm and wiped out all but the lord. The wave serpent finished off the lord with it's shuriken cannons.

DA squad 2 shot into the advancing squad of stealers coming from the south west (after passing a leadership test) and killed all but 2. The second wave serpent unleashed into the advancing wall of gaunts, along with the walkers, and basically wiped out the whole first mob of 20.

The falcon did no damage and the wraithlord shot and wounded one of the warriors.

There were no assaults this round, as the clowns were out of range, due to my awesome shooting. This would prove to be their downfall.

Turn 2 'nids.
    Suitably stunned after the massive losses dealt to him in turn 1, he continued the push toward my pointy-eared defenders. The northernmost squad of stealers advanced toward the clowns, as did the northern squad of warriors. The wounded tyrant pushed into the building toward the wraithlord. All of the gaunts toward the south continued to move up toward my strong point.

In shooting the gaunts did little. One of the zoanthropes killed a wraithguard, while another wounded itself. The northern stealers fleeted into assault range of the harlies. The tyrant leveled some psychic blast at the wraithlord, but he saved.

Assault saw the stealers and harlies tie at 3 rended (although I saved one) and I ended up losing one other to non rends. Combat continued. The tyrant assaulted the wraithlord, who slew the already gravely injured beast with it's sword.

Turn 2 Eldar.
    The farseer guided DA2 and doomed the northern warriors.
    DA squad 1 retreated to the south back into cover, having to reload after their storm. My vehicles shifted around to better firing angles. The wraithlord moved up into the ruins to get a better shot at the 'thropes. DA2 moved up to get into range of the incoming swarms of gaunts.

In shooting DA2 leveled the next closest squad of gaunts, killing all but 2. The walkers dished everything they had toward the thropes, killing 1 and wounding another. The northern serpent and wraithlord wiped out the northern squad of warriors.

In assault the clowns lost 4 (bringing them down to 2) and killed 3 stealers. They passed their morale test and continued the fight.

Turn 3 'nids.
    His gaunts to the south moved and fleeted again toward my fortress, getting the next squad close enough to assault DA2.

The thropes blasted the wraithguard, but one cover save was made, bringing my number down to 3.

In assault the stealers finally killed off the clowns and consolidated into the wraithguard.
    The gaunts finally closed in on DA2 and killed 5, after losing 6 of their own.

Turn 3 Eldar.
    The farseer guided DA2 and doomed the next closest swarm of gaunts.
    DA one moved to the south behind the DA2's combat. WS 1 moved in behind DA1, while WS2 and the falcon shifted slightly to the south east to get better angles on the horde just to the north.

The wraithlord missed with it's BL, the falcon's shots against the 'thropes were all saved. DA1's shots past DA2's CC into the 'thropes wiped them out (he had to make 17 saves ), along with WS1's and the walker's supporting fire in the last free gaunt horde (which all but wiped them out).

In CC the wraithguard and spiritseer managed to kill 2 stealers, while suffering one more deactivated guard. The gaunts finished off DA2 and consolidated into my walkers in cover in a sacrifice move to attempt to tie them down and silence the walkers guns.

Turn 4 'nids.
    The raveners finally showed up, but at this point he called the game, having almost nothing left on the board but a few straggler gaunts, the 3 warriors in hiding toward the south, and the newly arrived raveners, while I had;

1 whole squad of DAs,
    both Wave Serpents,
    the Falcon, and the as yet unused Fire Dragons,
    The 3 walkers,
    The Farseer,
    Wraithlord,
    2 Wraithguard and the spiritseer.

and had lost only 9 harlies (250pts) and 10 DAs (roughly 150pts).

I have to say that the harlies, while interesting, still haven't made their points back for me yet. The walkers really performed well for me in this game for the first time.

I think my opponent's biggest problem was his lack of any real heavy weaponry. He was relying on numbers to swamp me, but I just kept gunning him down with doom and a bladestorm. This basically kept a buffer zone between me and his swarms. The only place where it failed, I died so it's good that I managed to keep it up everywhere else.

Last edited by artificer; December 15th, 2006 at 22:15.
    Baby, when I'm the voice of reason, we've got problems!
    ~artificer

Someone should stop
    Jervis "let's make it easy enough for a 3 year old to play" Johnson
    before he turns 40k into checkers

~anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by artificer View Post
    I have to say that the harlies, while interesting, still haven't made their points back for me yet.
    Now, indulge me for just a moment, as I fully admit I'm not clear on all of the ins and outs of Eldar army lists, but I think I know why this is happening.

In looking over your list, I notice a distinct lack of Close Combat ability. This isn't a real bad thing, as armies that are geared for shooting do well, especially mobile ones like Eldar and Tau. Except here, you have a solitary unit geared for pure Close Combat, and it really sticks out like a sore thumb. Sure, you have a Wraithlord, but I'm of the opinion that a two attack creature makes for poor close combat ability, Monstrous Creature or not.

The way you seemed to have used them this game was to charge them full bore at the enemy and expect them to tear things up - but they had no support to back them up. You're basically sending them ahead of your army to die and act like a very expensive speed bump. That's just not going to work.

Instead, you may consider holding them back with your main battleforce and use them as Counter Chargers. This way they stay close to your lines and can pick off the enemy as they approach. The Shadowseer keeps them safe, as your opponent can't blast them on his way in, which is a problem with many counter-charge units. For this role, I would drop the Fusion Pistols and the Troupe Leader to save points. (Really, a Troupe Leader with a Kiss? You're basically paying 16 points for +1 attack... for that kind of investment, you'd might as well go the extra few points and get another Harlie.)

Anyways, just my take on it. I've seen that sort of thing happen all the time with people using Raptors in shooty lists, and it pains me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assault saw the stealers and harlies tie at 3 rended (although I saved one) and I ended up losing one other to non rends. Combat continued. The tyrant assaulted the wraithlord, who slew the already gravely injured beast with it's sword.
    Harlequins do have Hit and Run and you can use that on the end of the opponents assualt phase, leave combat, shoot, and charge agian with them!

Other than that nice job and good battle rep
    My Armies
    Eldar 11-1-1
    Necrons 9-1-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Raider615 View Post
    Harlequins do have Hit and Run and you can use that on the end of the opponents assualt phase, leave combat, shoot, and charge agian with them!
    bugger! you're right! I forgot all about it Oh well, something to remember for next time :ninja:
    ~artificer

Someone should stop

~anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by artificer View Post
    The wraithlord missed with it's BL, the falcon's shots against the 'thropes were all saved. DA1's shots past DA2's CC into the 'thropes wiped them out (he had to make 17 saves ), along with WS1's and the walker's supporting fire in the last free gaunt horde (which all but wiped them out).
    Not that it matters much, but for future reference, Zoanthropes are taken as one unit, but otherwise function independently...I am pretty sure this means you have to shoot them seperately, making it impossible for the DA to wipe out more than 1 in a turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

great game, got to admit I agree with Cal Wholey on the Harleys point, Ideally I would drop them but if you got the minis mate, I would use them for counter assault

At the moment I have 2 major (active) projects:
    1. Craeting a 6th company UM army for the 2TW campaign weekend next september - basically trying to max out heavy bolters
    2. Craeting a new Eldar army

And every time I paint something blue I think how much better the Eldar can be at eating nids, particularly a mixed luist like you faced, for 360 points you can spew out 54 STR 6 shots with war walkers every turn, that eats nids
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

quick update here,

after a few more games with the pointy-eared ones I've come away with the following results.

Against an all bike/termie White Scars army - which was two squadrons of bikes and 3 squads of deep striking 9-man termies (including a librarian AND a chaplain) we fought to a draw. I feel pretty good about this, as I'm NOT that heavy on major marine killers. This guy is also a vet with this list, and has played it for about 3 years...

Against an IG force with 2 Demolishers, a Hellhound, many, many HW teams, and some infiltrating hardened vets, I took him OUT!

I basically ran everything I could to the center of the board, which was ruins and the 'hold point' for the game, and used the harlies to harry anyone who came in striking distance. I killed his vets, 1.5 of his command squads, a whole AF squad with the clowns before they were finally taken out. The wraithlord and guard marched around my flanks to keep me from being ambushed by his armour (and took all but one tank out). And the avengers simply stood ground and made it costly for anyone to lift their heads up (at the cost, eventually, of one whole squad of DAs).

I've recently developed an Eldar Monstrous Creature list, with 2 Wraithlords and the Avatar... but haven't had a chance to play it out yet. Hopefully tomorrow night.

BTW: I still have YET to get 1st turn...
    Last edited by artificer; January 3rd, 2007 at 21:51.
    ~artificer

Someone should stop

~anon

+ Reply to Thread