1850 Necron vs Grey Knight Daemonhunter - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1850 Necron vs Grey Knight Daemonhunter

I havn't done a battle report before, so bear with me. I also didn't take notes, so things arn't going to be exact...I may be off slightly in points since i had to adjust my army on the fly from a 2000 list to a 1850. No mission, just killing.

My List(Necron)

HQ:
    Necron Lord: Veil of Darkness, Res Orb
    Necron Destroyer Lord: Res Orb, Phylactery, warscythe

Troops:
    3x 15 warriors

Elites:
    10x Immortals(with veil lord)

Fast Attack:
    4 Destroyers

Heavy Support:
    1x Heavy Destroyer
    1x Heavy Destroyer

His list:
    Inquisitor Lord with retuine(at least 2 gun servitors, one with lascannon, the other with meltagun)
    Grand marshall or something(guy in termie armor)

3x GK sqauds with about 8-10 knights a piece, 2 incinerators, and a captain with power weapon and artificer armor.

1x Heavy weapon squad(whatever they are called), with 4 psycannons I think

1x Dreadnaught with twin linked lascannon, CCW, and incinerator

3x assasins(some close combat type)
    1x assassin(another close combat type, better than the other 3)

Board layout:
    quite a bit of open ground. A few building ruins around the board and partial walls here and there. The main terrain was a ruined building in each of the 4 table quadrants.

Deployment:
    I rolled to deploy first. I placed my heavy destroyers mostly behind cover but able to see some of the board still, and my destroyers on the right board edge. My immortals were also over by the right board edge with the veil lord. One of my warrior groups was in the ruined building on my right hand side. The other 2 were with the destroyer lord around the building on the left(one in it, the other hiding behind it to prevent phase out).
    He put his psycannon squad, command squad, a GK squad, and Lord in the middle area, deploying his Dreadnaught to have a line of sight(barely) on one of my heavy destroyers. He put one squad of GKs accross from my destroyers, the other one and the terminator HQ accross from my warrios and destroyer lord. He then did the thing that did a great deal of determining the game: he infiltrated all his assassins as close as he could to my immortal squad.

GK Turn 1:
    He rolled first turn, which kind of hurt me. All of his GK's moved forward except his psycannon squad. His Termie hq got bogged down in terrain and only moved 2 inches. His assassins moved towards my immortals

In the shooting phase he lined up one of my heavy destroyers with his dreadnaught and prompty destroyed it with his lacannon. He also shot a couple warriors with his psycannons, but I saved most. 2 warriors fell down from that. Nothing else in range.

Assault was the worst thing that could have happened to me. He assaulted his assassins into my immortal squad. Didn't kill too many but he stuck them in CC for the rest of their life(we had a rule conflict about whether you could veil out of CC, ended up with not[was the majority of the people there]). He knocked down a couple with the power weapons, but thanks to the res orb they didn't die.

Necron turn 1:
    The warriors downed by the psycannons stood back up. All but one of the immortals stood back up.

This turn would set the flavor for the entire match. I moved my warriors on the right to help the immortals(i underestimated the assassins) and one squad on the left got all the way into the ruin there, the other hid behind the building. The destroyers moved forward a bit to try and get within range to see the GK squad on that side(because of the GK shroud ability). The Heavy destroyer that was left moved up to get in range of that dreadnaut since the immortals wern't gonna get to do it.

Shooting was horrible. My heavy destroyer took out the dreadnaught. The destroyers tried to get a line of sight on the right GKs, and rolled snake eyes. No shooting there. The warriors on the left were within shooting range of one of the GK squads there, but rolled a 1 and a 2 on the shroud roll. Again no shooting.

The warriors on the right joined the immortals in the CC there. A few more immortals got knocked down in that horrible CC with the assassins. They did actually manage to kill one of the assassins and wound another one.

GK turn 2:
    Everything continued to move forward. His termie HQ was still stuck in the terrain.

Shooting was uneventful. His meltagun servitor blew up my last heavy destroyer. His GKs shot some destroyers and warriors with their storm bolters, but I made all of the saves. The psycannons had no sight on anything.

The melee with the immortals continued. His single assassin got into base with my lord and they started duking it off. My lord did one wound, and got none in return. He knocked down a few more immortals, putting them at half strength. They made their morale check for losing combat.

Necron Turn 2:
    2 Immortals got back up, 2 stayed dead.

No one moved on my side. Straight to shooting phase. My destroyers finally got to see his GK squad and took 2 out. My warriors in the building on the left failed to get past the shround on his GKs on that side. No other shooting really to do. This shroud was really killing me.

The combat over on the right hand side continued rather uneventfully. Did a couple wounds to the assassins, but didn't kill anything. A couple more immortals and warriors fell down.

GK turn 3:
    His GKs continued to advance towards my units, the group in the middle turning to try and get at my hidden warriors.

His shooting phase consisted of him again shooting me with storm bolters and doing nothing with them.

The CC turned very ugly this turn. He downed all but 2 of my immortals, a few warriors, and my lord! 3 power weapon hits from one of the assassins downed my lord immediately. The immortals failed their morale check but only fell back 2 inches.

Necron Turn 3:
    My lord failed to get back up! I got 3 immortals back up, and I lost a couple warriors to failed WBB.

Despite that, this was probably my best turn in the game. Movement phase consisted of me just moving my destroyers back to prevent them from being assaulted and my immortals falling back another couple inches.

My necrons in the left building finally got a line of sight on the GKs on that side and opened fire. 30 shots later there were 3 GKs dead. My destroyers took out another 2 GKs in their target squad.

This assault saw me take out one of the assassins and lost about 4 warriors to power weapons.

GK Turn 4:
    GKs on the left moved into assault range. GKs on the right moved in to join the melee so my destroyers couldn't shoot them any more. Middle ones moved down to get line of site on my hidden warriors.

My destroyers got shot by something and I ended up losing one. Don't remember what to.

This was a nasty assault phase. His GKs on the right piled into the melee there. The ones on the left went through a gap in the wall to assault the warriors who shot them during my turn. The CC on the right ended up with me killing his last assassin, but ended up losing combat and failing the morale check. The warriors then ran 11 inches to go off the board. The CC in the building on my left had a few warriors fall down, but not very many GKs could fit into the building.

Necron Turn 4:
    Got a few warriors back in the building.

Moved my destroyer lord up so he could join the warriors in the building in that melee. The destroyers on the right figured they would stay where they were. They could either fire this turn and end up in CC, or else speed boost and not be able to fire. Seeing as how this wasn't going to last much longer I figured I would try and take as many out as I could. My hiding warriors moved back further to try and stay safe.

I ended up just firing at the GKs that had just chased my warriors off the board, killing one. No more shooting available.

My destroyer lord joined the melee in the building, killing one GK and getting one wound. A few more warriors were downed. The warriors lost more units and fell back 2 inches. Because the GKs were still engaged with my destroyer lord they couldn't chase. The destroyers committed suicide and assaulted the GK who had chased my warriors off the right side of the board. Lost 2 destroyers but killed a GK.

GK Turn 5:
    No movement.

Couple more shots at my hidden warriors that did nothing.

The Termie HQ assaulted my destroyer lord, and ended up killing him with 3 power weapon wounds. His GK friends continued to kill warriors, causing them to regroup. Too bad they immediately failed their post-combat morale check again. Fell back 6 inches. The GKs didn't follow for some reason I dont' remember. Last destroyer held on some how.

Necron Turn 5:
    Destroyer lord failed his WBB. Lost a few more warriors to failed WBBs.

Fleeing warriors fell back 6 inches.

My last group of warriors opened fire on the now open group of GKs, killing a couple.

Last destroyer died on the right side.

GK Turn 6:
    At this point he needed to just kill 6 more units I believe. He did this quite quickly. 2 incinerators into the fleeing warriors and the formerly hidden unit, then a charge by the termie HQ saw me fall beneath phase out, and the rest of my units left for the tomb ship.

My thoughts:
    This was the first game I had in two years, so I wasn't expecting a victory. I hadn't ever fought a GK army, so I didn't really know what to expect. I took my heavy destroyers to handle the termies I was expecting but were never fielded, and they didn't last long enough to do much anyways. I realized that I should have taken my 'lith this game. The fact my flying circus was assaulted in turn 1 really hurt me, as well as my inability to see his units half the game. Oh well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tough break man, but I have to tell you, I was trying to stop myself from shouting the whole time I read that. The Veil CAN be used to get your units out of close combat! Read the last line in the veil's description, it states it can be used even if enemy models are in base contact with the lord or the unit he's moving. That's one of the reasons I love the Veil, it pulls your weak to CC units out of there so they can rip the enemy to shreds with gauss fire.

Otherwise, a good report. You probably could have beat him if it wasn't for the veil misunderstanding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello

Im a noob, but even i see tons of mistakes from your side. Your deployment was terible, immortals must to use veil out if they are assaulted(the rules for necrons must be used all the times if you do not want to lose everytime). If your oponent do not like the Veil of darkness, thats his problem, not yours. Maybe i do not like terminators and dreadnougts or lascannons, this means that my oponents cant use this stuff?
    You must read post how to use destroyers and H. destroyers, never let them to be assaulted, and never go in cc with them.
    But this is just my point of view.

Let the luck lead us!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the case of the destroyers into CC thing...i had a choice. Fire on the GKs and assault on them and hope to get a few more kills, or put myself in range to be lascannoned, meltaguned, AND psycannoned by the units that were in the center of the map, since there was no cover within boost range to get me out of the line of fire of those. Try and take a few enemies down with you vs futile attempt to run away...which would you pick? Not to mention the game was pretty much over by this point.

As for the veil thing...I somehow forgot my codex(i was 99% sure i had it in my army case with my roster...i honestly have no idea where it is right now). I asked the other necron player to look it up in his, and he said it didn't say one way or another. It had been too long since I played for me to remember off the top of my head.

As for my deployment...I was playing against an army that I knew quite well could tear my army to pieces. Should I have bunched up my people in the center so all his people could come together? The ability to have all my people available to shoot him wouldn't accomplish much with the shroud rolls I was getting. I felt I would try and divide his army to try and take them out in pieces. It didn't work out that way, and the fact that my immortals were screwed over by that rules misunderstanding really hurt me(i could have used them to keep the lord's retuine busy, if not killed them, allowing my destroyers the time they needed to get between cover areas).
    Last edited by Khisanth Magus; January 27th, 2007 at 09:21.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

It soundes like a very frustrating game for you.I am going to go over his list and then ask some questions.

His list:
    Inquisitor Lord with retuine(at least 2 gun servitors, one with lascannon, the other with meltagun)
    Grand marshall or something(guy in termie armor)

3x GK sqauds with about 8-10 knights a piece, 2 incinerators, and a captain with power weapon and artificer armor.

1x Heavy weapon squad(whatever they are called), with 4 psycannons I think

1x Dreadnaught with twin linked lascannon, CCW, and incinerator

3x assasins(some close combat type)
    1x assassin(another close combat type, better than the other 3)
    The Inquisitor Lord should of had as a min 6 in his retinue. He could have had gun servitiors, but none of them could have lascannons.

The Grand Marshall is called a Grand Master and he is a combat god.

The 3x GK squads sound right but the Justicar does not have artificer armour.

The heavy weapons squad is called a purgation squad.

The rest are on the money.

Now I see that you where rolling against the shrouding. How many dice where you rolling for this? From your report it sounds like you where not rolling enough.
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Shadow View Post
    You probably could have beat him if it wasn't for the veil misunderstanding.
    Misunderstanding?!! I say no seeing as it was a majority rule in the room that said the Immortals couldn't Veil. I say he was cheated, surely someone in the room must have known the rule. If they didn't because they're all newbs, then their opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel and thus ignored. Either way, ALWAYS bring your codex and refer to the rules, not mob rule.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Add on the fact that Death Cult Assassins (the 3x Assassins that hit the Immortals) can in no way shape or form ever score a first turn charge without you moving towards them, and I say you were cheated.

But, I guess the two most important things to take away from this are -
    • Did you have a fun game? If so, then that's really what matters.
    • Did you learn from the game?
    As for the second question, I'd at least hope you learned that Veil of Darkness can indeed be used if the unit is locked in Combat, and that standard foot slogging models may not move the 13 inches required to score a first turn charge with Infiltration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was strange that the assassins were able to get into assault on the first turn, but I figured they had some type of rule that allowed them to assault 12 or something, having never played GK or played against them.

As for the inconsistancies in his army list...

The gun servitor thing intruiges me, as it was what took down the first one of my destroyers. Unless he accidently just said the wrong gun, he DID say he was shooting a lascannon.

I have to say I couldn't remember how many dice I was rolling against shrouding, as I wrote this several hours later. I just know that I was mainly rolling 1s and 2s. I THOUGHT what we were doing was 2d6*3 or something along those lines. I could be wrong though, as I don't have the best memory.

As for bringing my codex with...like I said, I was positive that my codex was in my army carrier. Since it was not in there last night, I can honestly say I havn't got the slightest clue where it is. Guess I am going to have to go hunting around my condo and my parents' house, since htats where my necrons are usually stored.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

When rolling for the shrouding you roll 3d6X3. With the assassins, the Deat Cult Assassins can not get a first turn charge in, but the Eversor Assassin can. Evesor Assassin has a 6 inch movement and a 12 inch charge. If one was to put the Evesor Assassin right at 18 inches it could happen. That is also if the player with the assassin gets to go first.
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantianWarrior View Post
    Evesor Assassin has a 6 inch movement and a 12 inch charge. If one was to put the Evesor Assassin right at 18 inches it could happen. That is also if the player with the assassin gets to go first.
    No, you still can't.

If you put the Eversor within LOS to an enemy unit, he must be over 18" away. So even with 6" movement and 12" charge, that's only 18", therefore falling short a fraction of an inch, so no first turn charge.

If you were to place the Eversor out of LOS, therefore being able to put him within 12", then you could potentially get a first turn charge, if you can move through the terrain.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast