1500 Chaos versus Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

1500 Chaos versus Eldar

This is a battle report of a game I played yesterday. I played a Black Legion Chaos force, while my opponent played a standard Eldar force. I believe that this was my opponent's first game of 40K (I could be wrong), but perhaps I could convince him to make a comment about the game.

The Lists:

Chaos:
    It should be noted that I did not build this Chaos force. Karmoon built it for me, at my request, as I wanted to try something different and force myself to adapt to new units that I wouldn't normally use.
    Lord
    Kai Gun Daemonic Aura; Daemonic Flight
    MoCU, Infiltrate

Obliterators x2

8x Chaos Space Marines

5x Bolters; 1x Heavy Bolter; 1x Plasmagun
    MoCU; Infiltrate
    Champ w/ Power fist

8x Chaos Space Marines
    5x Bolters; 1x Heavy Bolter; 1x Plasmagun
    MoCU; Infiltrate
    Champ w/ Power fist

5x Chaos bikes
    2x TL Bolters; 2x Meltaguns
    Asp Champ w/ Power Fist; Teleport homer
    Skilled Riders

7x Furies

7x Raptors
    4x Bolt Pistols, 2x Meltaguns
    Champion w/ Power Weapon; Daemonic Strength; Teleport homer
    MoCU, Furious Charge

8x Havocs
    4x Autocannon; 4x Bolters
    MoCU, Tank Hunters

Eldar:
    Farseer
    Spirit Stones; Runes of Witnessing; Doom; Guide
    3x Warlocks Bodyguard
    2x Destructors; 1x Enhance

10x Guardians
    Shuricats; EML Platform
    Warlock w/ Conceal

10x Guardians
    Shuricats; Shuri-Cannon Platform
    Warlock w/ Conceal

10x Dire Avengers

Exarch w/ Bladestorm; Dual Shuricats

10x Dire Avengers
    Exarch w/ Bladestorm; Dual Shuricats

7x Warp Spiders
    Exarch w/ Surprise Assault; Powerblades; Dual Deathspinners

2x War Walkers
    2x Starcannons each

5x Dark Reapers
    Exarch w/ Fast Shot, Eldar Missile Launcher

Fire Prism
    Prism Cannon; Vectored Engines

The Board:
    The board was a standard 4' by 6' table. Various amounts of foliage and ruins littered the table, giving ample amounts of terrain. All ruins were counted as 4+ cover, while everything else gave 5+.

The Mission:
    We randomly rolled the mission, which came up as an Omega Level Recon. Eldar player won the deployment, and chose to start on the Southern side of the board, which had (IMO) a better lay out of terrain. Dusk and Dawn was rolled for, but nothing came up.

The Deployment:
    Chaos deployed first, plopping down the Havocs on the edge of a large section of forest on the West side, giving them a clear field of fire over much of the board. Everything else either Infiltrated or came in through Reserves due to Escalation. Eldar put down the War Walkers across from the Havocs, but hidden behind some terrain. Reapers took some high ground in the SW corner of the board. One group of Guardians (The EML ones), one group of Dire Avengers, and the Farseer + Warlocks all deployed on the West Side, threatening to overwhelm the Havocs. Lastly, the remaining Guardians and Avengers deployed on the East side of the board, having a free run up the board to score Victory Points.

Chaos player then Infiltrated, dropping one unit of CSMs on the West side to support the Havocs. They deployed between the massive Eldar force and the Havocs, to allow the Havocs time before being assaulted. The Kai Gun lord deployed just behind this unit, using them as a shield. Lastly, the second CSM unit deployed to the East out in the open to engage the Guardians and Avengers there.

Everything else was held in Reserves due to Escalation. War Walkers made a Scouts move to the East, so they could get a clear line of fire at the Havocs.

(And in writing this battle report, I already see one mistake I made. The Lord should have been held in Reserves due to Flight. Whoops!)

Chaos Turn 1:

Chaos won the roll for first turn. Not a single unit moved, since they had all deployed with good lines of sight.

Shooting phase began with the Autocannon Havocs opening up into the War Walkers, scoring five Penetrating hits and completely massacring them. One War Walker exploded violently, spewing wreckage a full six inches and dragging a Guardian down with him. The Chaos Marines and Lord fired into the Reapers, killing three of them.

On the East side, the CSMs fired with Bolters, one plasmagun shot, and the Heavy Bolter, but only managed to kill off two Dire Avengers, even though they didn't have any cover...

All Eldar units passed Morale check.

Eldar Turn 1:

On the West side, the Avengers move up into a batch of forest to take cover. Guardians move up through some clear terrain. The Farseer and retinue stay put, using the Avenger's new found cover as blocking terrain. On the East side, the Avengers couldn't find cover, and the Guardians advanced upon the Marines.

The Reapers fired upon the CSMs on the West side, killing off two due to failed cover saves. The Guardians, wanting to play with their Missile Launcher too, managed to completely miss their target. The Avengers fared quite a bit better, electing to fire without Bladestorm and still managing to inflict an impressive 10 wounds upon the Marines. Unfortunately, nine of those wounds were saved, so only one Marine died.

On the East side, the Avengers scored a single kill, while the Guardians managed only to suck.

Chaos Turn 2:

The turn started off with Reserves rolls, and the Chaos player was fairly fortunate. The Obliterators Deep Struck in the Eldar's deplyoment zone on the East side to help the situation over there, but close to the Western engagement that they could assist when finished. The Raptors came in the middle of the board so they could assist wherever needed, or guard the deployment zone if need be. Lastly, the Bikers came in on the Western board edge.

Movement phase saw the Bikers turbo boost up the board edge, covering half the board in a single move. The Raptors moved up the middle, still out of range of any action, but close enough to support the Havocs if needed.

Firing saw Eldar die in droves. The Obliterators Heavy Boltered the Avengers, killing off four of them, while the CSMs on the East side scored three more kills, though the Exarch just barely managed to survive a Heavy Bolter shot.

On the West side, the CSMs in the woods fired upon the Avengers hiding in the woods across from them, but the Eldar managed to make two armour saves and two cover saves, so nothing died. The Kai Gun lord fired upon the two remaining Reapers, killing off one of them and leaving just the Exarch. Lastly, the Havocs Autocannoned the Avengers on the West side, but only killed one.

All Eldar made their Morale checks, but the Chaos Lord failed a Mastery check and took a wound.

Eldar Turn 2:

The round started with the Avenger Exarch on the East side failing his Last Man Standing check and fleeing for the board edge. Reserves came next, with just the Fire Prism showing up on the West side board edge, opposite of the incoming Chaos Bikers. Next, the Farseer casts Guide upon his Avengers, and Dooms the Biker squad.

The Prism moved up seven inches, closing the distance between it and the Bikes to just a few inches. The Guardians on both sides of the board moved towards the CSMs facing them, while the remaining Avenger squad stayed put in their cover.

The Prism started the shooting phase with a spectacular miss of it's cannon, followed suit by the Guardians missing with their EML again. Their shuricats did a bit better, hitting the Biker squad and managing to kill off two of them.

Probably with the most impressive display of prowess I've ever seen, the Avenger's Exarch called for a Bladestorm at the Chaos Marine unit, firing an impressive 29 shots and hitting with every single last one of them. Things looked grim for the Marines, who then suffered 16 wounds. Luckily, one four Marines failed saves, which left just the Champion alive (who would serve a very important role in the near future.)

On the East side, the Guardians were out of range of Shuricats, but their Cannon killed off two Marines. No Chaos units failed their Morale tests.

Chaos Turn 3:
    The turn started with the lone Champion on the West side making his Last Man Standing and then summoning the Furies. While the Furies scattered five inches behind the Champion, they were still in range to be a threat to the advancing Eldar.

(About this time is when I found that my Bikers didn't have the MoCU and couldn't summon daemons. This is why the Champion was left alive and not the Heavy Bolter marine, and why it was so important for him to not run off. I blame Karmoon.)

Movement saw the Furies fly towards the West side Guardians, easily coming with assaulting distance. The Oblits moved towards the North to get a clear line of fire at the Farseer, and the Raptors moved up the middle again, but still remaining close enough to support the Havocs if need be. The Bikers moved up between the Prism and the Reaper Exarch, with about 2 inches between the Bikers and either unit.

Shooting phase saw the Kai Gun lord shoot the Avengers and kill one off. The Bikers fired into the Reaper Exarch, finishing him off with a lucky Bolter shot. The Oblits fired Heavy Bolters into the Farseer's company, but managed to miss five of six shots. Luckily, the one shot that did hit killed off one of the Warlocks. The Eldar player removed the Enhance Warlock, leaving the 2x Destructors.

On the East Side, the CSMs killed three more Guardians.

In the Assault phase, the Furies slammed into the Guardians, slaughtering them to a man without a single return attack being leveled. Only the Warlock survived, but was left out of B2B contact, so could only watch in horror as the Furies devoured the entire unit. This was too much for him, and had to take a Leadership test at -5. Needing a 3 to stay, he rolled a 4 and decided to head for the hills. The Furies, not having B2B contact, could only consolidate.

Eldar Turn 3:

A reserves roll saw the Warp Spiders arrive at the same time as the Warlock and Avenger Exarch both fled the field. The Spiders tried to drop to the right of the Havocs in the Chaos deployment zone, but a bad scatter dropped them just to the south of them. There was just enough room to fit the squad without anyone being insta-killed, but the space between the Spiders and Havocs was very slim. The Farseer doomed the Furies.

Movement phase saw the Farseer and Warlocks moving out of their cover and towards the Furies, and the Guardians on the East side moving towards the Marines.

The Spiders started the shooting by firing into the Havocs, managing to only kill two Bolter Marines though. The Prism slung a dispersed shot into the Furies, catching all seven of them in the blast, wounding them all. Only three Furies made their Invulnerable saves.

On the East Side, the Guardians finally got into range with their Shuricats and killed off two more Marines, leaving only the Champion, a Red Shirt, and the Heavy Bolter marine. The Farseer and Warlocks then Fleeted towards the Furies, bringing them within charge range. An instability check for the Furies saw one of them vanish into the warp, leaving only two left.

The Farseer charged at the remaining Furies. Due to his superior initiative, he was able to strike at the same time as the Furies, who turned their attentions at the Warlocks. The Farseer killed off one Fury, but in return, the Furies slaughtered both of his Warlocks before they had a chance to strike. The Farseer lost the combat and had to make a morale test against Leadership 9. He rolled a 10. The Farseer ran from the lone Fury, but was not quick enough to escape, as both players rolled the same value for the Sweeping Advance. Farseer Deekin (as we called him) was cut down from behind by a single Fury.

Chaos Turn 4:
    Last Man Standing checks were made for the lone Champion and the Fury. The Fury, needing a six to not vanish, actually passed it's check and stuck around, as did the Champion. In the movement phase, the Bikers moved around behind the Fire Prism, the Raptors moved towards the Warp Spiders, the lone champion moved towards the Dire Avengers, and the Eastern Chaos Marines moved towards the last Guardians.

The Kai Gun lord fired upon the Spiders and scored one kill. The Bikers fired into the rear armour of the Prism, but managed to completely miss the shots. The Obliterators fired Autocannons at the Prism, and managed to score one Shaken result. Both CSM champions fired their pistols, but achieved nothing of value.

The Assault phase saw the Bikers charge the Prism, but miss it horribly. Well, it is a skimmer after all. The lone Champion came up an inch too short of charging the Avengers, and was stuck out in the open next to the Fury. We think they chatted about various TV shows they saw that week.

Meanwhile, the Eastern CSMs charged the Guardians. The Guardians killed the Heavy Bolter marine, but the two non-Champion models killed off two Guardians. The Eldar player was sneaky and removed B2B models, leaving the Powerfisted Champion without anything to attack. However, they still lost the combat and failed their Morale check, and started running away. They ran eight inches, and the two remaining Chaos Marines consolidated three inches towards them.

Last, but not least, the Raptors charged the Warp Spiders. The Exarch had first strike due to his high initiative, but failed to cause any wounds upon the hardy marines. Next came everone else's attacks, with the regular Spiders failing to do anything at all. The Raptor champion cut down three Spiders with his Power Sword, and another died to standard attacks. Only one Spider and the Exarch remained, but they made their morale check.

We called the game at this point. It was late, and pretty clear the Eldar had lost the game. At the end of the fourth CSM turn, this is what was left -

Eldar:
    Two Warp Spiders
    Shaken Fire Prism
    Four Dire Avengers
    Six Guardians, fleeing and unable to regroup due to CSM proximity.

So basically, only one scoring unit - the Prism, which was outside of the Objective area.

Chaos:
    2x Oblits
    3x Bikers
    6x Havocs
    7x Raptors
    2x Chaos Marines
    1x Fury
    1x Chaos Marine Champion
    Lord

That left two scoring units in the enemy deployment zone (Oblits + Bikers), and two other scoring units on the table.

When we called the game, victory points looked like this -

Chaos: 1639
    Eldar: 310
    Result: Victorious Slaughter!

Lessons Learned:
    Well, I think I only made three glaring mistakes. First, I forgot that the Lord would be held in Reserves. I'm used to having Daemonic Speed Lords (I almost charged him on the first turn!), which can deploy even in Escalation missions. My other biggest mistake was bringing in the Bikers on the West side. I had intended to use them for summoning the Furies since I was expecting the CSMs to die off, but didn't realize they had no MoCU. I should've brought them on the East side and assaulted the Guardians, thereby keeping the CSMs hopefully above 50%.

Lastly, I messed up on the last turn. I forgot to move the remaining Fury, and the Champion ended up just short of a charge.

As far as the Eldar player is concerned, hopefully I can convince him to drop by and give his impressions on the battle. I can point out a few mistakes he made, but I'd like to see if he spotted them first. Over all, for his first game, he did rather well. He gave me a very enjoyable game.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

That was an insanely difficult Chaos list to use. There's no way I could use that list even though I understand the theory, i don't have the table experience.

No doubts your time as an Eldar player also helped you understand their dynamic.

I'm impressed, but not in anyway surprised.

Great report

P.S Sorry about the bikes.. that's stupid of me. I should have prioritised MoCU over skilled riders.. Especially when daemons are present... Sorry....
    Last edited by Karmoon; January 29th, 2007 at 22:36.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I saw that battle, and to be fair, your opponent rolled very poorly! XD
    He could have also made some better deployment and tactical choices (After the first firing phase I would have fleeted the Dire Avengers over to the West side of the board and let the Guardians fight the CSM squad). You also got pretty lucky with those Oblits O__o

T'was a fun game to watch though =D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm kind of shocked actually. The battle rep was good (thanks!), but I'm really shocked that Karmoon missed putting a powerfist in every unit.

Thanks for the battle rep and nice job Karmoon on the list.
    Last edited by monodan; January 30th, 2007 at 04:54.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Indeed, I watched the game as well, and I agree that the Eldar certainly rolled sub-par all game. They broke from combat far too often, and unit after unit was run down.

Oh well. There's always next time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
    I saw that battle, and to be fair, your opponent rolled very poorly! XD
    He could have also made some better deployment and tactical choices (After the first firing phase I would have fleeted the Dire Avengers over to the West side of the board and let the Guardians fight the CSM squad). You also got pretty lucky with those Oblits O__o
    Agreed about the Avengers. In fact, I was completely expecting them to charge the remainder of the CSM unit on the third turn, but I think by that time my opponent was getting tired.

I'm not sure I agree about the Oblits though. They only fired three times, and only one salvo was particularly effective (the first shot at the Avengers). The second shot saw five out of six shots miss, and the third firing phase only barely managed to Shake the Prism.

Quote Originally Posted by monodon
    but I'm really shocked that Karmoon missed putting a powerfist in every unit.
    I think it was well balanced. The units that needed 'Fists had them. The Havocs really didn't need a Champion, and the Raptors are far more effective with a PWeapon/Strength combo.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Deployment also really hurt the Eldar, now that I think of it.

Caluin and I discussed this earlier, and we both decided that because the Eldar spread out, it made the Black Legion's job easier when it came down to taking out the Eldar units one by one. While excellent, Eldar units rarely can defeat Space Marines (or their Chaos brothers) toe-to-toe, and that's exactly what this battle turned into - unit vs. unit slugfests across the board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Indeed, deployment did screw the Eldar over. They are a team-based army and require multiple units working towards one goal to be effective.

By getting lucky with the Olbits, I meant that they arrived early and massacred the squad. That opened up other targets for your CSM Squad to the North East (The Guardians).

I'm Curious as to why you didn't charge one of the Squads on the East end right away though. You could have torn the Guardians apart in CC no problem, but instead you sat and shot the whole game. Why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

708 (x8)

By getting lucky with the Olbits, I meant that they arrived early and massacred the squad. That opened up other targets for your CSM Squad to the North East (The Guardians).
    Ah. Yeah, I agree with that.

I'm Curious as to why you didn't charge one of the Squads on the East end right away though. You could have torn the Guardians apart in CC no problem, but instead you sat and shot the whole game. Why?
    The Avengers and Guardians are far more mobile than the CSMs. Had I moved the squad, I would've lost the ability to fire the Heavy Bolter, which scored a fair amount of kills. Worst of all, while I could've taken one of the squads, if both the Avengers and Guardians had ganged up on the CSM squad, they probably would've pulled out a win. Since both Guardians and Avengers had Assault weaponry and Fleet, the chance of pulling a charge with the CSMs was remote.

Therefore, I felt it was safer to sit back and dismantle them with superior firepower, and use my Reserves forces to lend any help. Had the Oblits not arrived, I would've deployed the Bikes on the East side to bolster that flank.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x5)

howdy,

Sorry i took so long in replying but anyways, We had a good fun battle for my first game of 40k, I know really made some newbie mistakes in deployment but i am getting some help on tactics for deployment for my next battle against Caluin again anyways on to the battle.
    My dice rolls were really bad and Caluin was getting all the good rolls but nothing changes i guess my rolls in fantasy are no better really Like most people i will learn from my mistakes overtime :shifty:
    Also i feel my force choosing was really bad not each AP guns to deal with marines but with some secret help from a unknown person, I shall have my revenge Caluin! :shifty: :shifty: .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast