Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hey Fellow Alpha Legionnaires (and Chaos brothers),
Just got back from a friendly 1000 pt game. The objective was "loot", and we had 5 loots spread around the board, 3 on my table edge (6x4) and 2 by his. The final result was about a 400 pt difference, where he had 2 loot, I had 1, and he killed 200 more points of my army than the other way around. Solid victory for the Blood Angels.
With that said, here's the quick report below:
Chaos Lieut - 132 pts (I did a last second change and added furious charge b/c I removed 12 pts of flamers from my CC unit, normally I wouldn't put this many points in the HQ)
- MoCU, P Weapon/B Pistol, D Speed/Strength/Resilience, Spiky Bits, Infiltrate, Frag Grenades, Furious Charge (I normally don't play with this)
Assault CSM - 210 pts
- All MoCU
- 9 CSM with BP/CCW, all with infiltrate
- Asp Champ with Infiltrate, D Mutation, Power Fist/Pistol
Shooting CSM - 143 pts
- All MoCU
- 8 CSM with 4 bolters, 1 heavy bolter, 1 plasma gun, infiltrate
2 x 16 Cultists (includes 1 champ with power weapon) - 127 pts each
- MoCU, Assassins Kit
8 Daemonettes - 120 pts
2 Oblits - 140 pts
Total: 999 pts
Blood Angels (rough estimate)
- Chaplain with Death Company (he rolled 10 DEATH COMPANY units... with 2 power weapons!!! ouch!
- 7 Assault Squad with one vet sgt with power weapon, and 2 plasma pistols
- 2 x 8 scout squad, one squad has 3 sniper rifles. Everyone else has CCW and pistol
- Predator with Assault Cannon + heavy Bolter
- Whirlwind Missile Launcher (indirect fire)
Alright, so he sets up his whirlwind behind a forest (I never get a chance to shoot at it all the game), his predator behind a building, with a very narrow firing lane, his sniper scouts on a building, his assault squad next to his whirlwind behind the forest, and his death company behind another forest on the other side of the board. I infiltrate my entire army, except for the oblits, which I place in a building in the center of my deployment zone, and he infiltrates his scout unit to my right, on the same side as the death company, but in my deployment zone, next to a loot token.
Turn 1: I win the dice roll.
- Charge Lord at the scout squad on the building in his deployment zone (in the center of the long table edge), wipe out 3 out of 7 scouts and stay in combat.
- Move Oblits out from behind my building, but they only get 3", so only one pop out into view of the scouts. Take an autocannon shot at them, wound, but they get 4+ cover save from the building walls. Nothing happens.
- Cultists on the left spread out evenly in a forest, worrying about the large blast indirect fire template. Cultist squad two behind the obliterators behind a building.
- Assault squad move along the left of the left forest towards the enemy side
- shooting squad stay on top of building, snipe at scout squad with snipers and kill 1.
- Move Predator out of hiding just enough to aim at the CC squad, but away from Oblit's range. Shoot at CC squad and kill 1 marine
- Death Company moves forward on the right edge of the board towards my deployment zone.
- non-sniper scout squad stay put
- Whirlwind fires and scatters and misses
- assault squad moves towards the chaos lieut, rolls JUST ENOUGH assault range to get on top of the building and kills the lieut with the power weapon sgt!!! (yeah, mistake #1, misjudging how far the assault squad can move and allowing them to assault my lord)
- Roll for daemonettes, fail. (whew)
- CC squad and cultists move forward on the left
- Oblits move 3" again, trying to see the predator. One guy sees it, fires lascannon, and rolls a 1... (my first of THREE 1's in this game for lascannon).
- cultists move out of building in center along the left edge.
- Whirlwind misses again
- Predator moves enough backwards so it can avoid the oblits but shoots at the CC squad and kills 2 more!
- Assault Squad hides behind a small forest in the middle of the board
- sniper squad hides behind the building
- death company makes it to the building on the right side of the board, in my deployment zone, and stays there with the other scout squad.
- Daemonettes fail again...
- both cultists move forward, they're side by side in the center and left of the board now
- CC squad decides that they won't make it through the "shooting path" of the predator, so they retreat behind the big forest on the left of my deployment zone and secure a loot.
- shooting CSM squad is worried about the death company getting within charging range, so they jump off the building in the center and move backwards.
- both cultist squads stay put, blocking any assaults on the shooting CSM squad
- Oblits move 6", gets one more shot at the predator with lascannon, and MISSES again...
- Some reason decides to keep the assault squad stationary, and move the death company behind the right building more (away from me) to position himself.
- Predator kills a few cultists
- whirlwind plants a land mine area
- nothing much happens.
- Daemonettes FAIL AGAIN...
- Oblits move 3" and tries shooting at predator AGAIN with lascannon, and misses AGAIN!
- CC squad stays put
- Shooting squad moves enough to get a line of sight to the sniper scouts
- Predator shoots and kills a few cultists
- Whirlwind also kills a few cultists
- Assault squad attacks both cultist squads (mistake #2, never allow the other person to be able to assault 2 units at once), kills all but 2 of one squad, and only kills 2 in the other. No one runs, so they pile-in
- Now that there's a battle in the middle, the death company moves in from the right towards the center. The scout squad almost moves forward. The sniper squad moves onto the building again.
- Daemonettes come in finally! just in time to fight the assault squad. They kill all but 1 assault squad, and that person flees 12" back. 1 cultists squad is gone, and the other still has about 10-11 cultists and consolidates so it blocks the daemonettes from a death company charge.
- Oblits fire 2 lascannon shots at the predator (finally!) and does a glancing shot that destroys the assault cannon.
- Shooting CSM fires heavy bolter at sniper unit, and kills 3 FOR 3! woot!
- CC CSM stay put, guarding the loot.
(this is where the tide turns)
- Whirlwind manages to NOT SCATTER, and lands a pie plate right on top of the daemonettes!!! 6 full, 2 partial. He gets BOTH partials for 8 hits, all 8 WOUND, and I fail all but 2 saves... (Mistake #3: I forgot to spread the daemonettes out in a line, because I wanted to counter assault the death company when they plow into my cultists...). That decimated my plans and pretty much sealed the battle.
- Death company plows into the cultists, and kills them ALL within that assault. He rolls just enough consolidation (4") to tie my 2 remaining daemonettes up!
- scout unit moves up to the center loot in my area.
After thinking about it a lot, I decide to give up on the loot in the center, and the one in his deployment zone near his predator, since both will be contested and I needed to move my CC squad in to stop the death company.
- I move CC squad and assault death company. My power fist champ misses 4 OUT OF 5 hits... daemonettes did not make one hit at all, let alone rending. I lose battle, daemonettes fail stability test by 1, and fails the save... so all gone. CC squad and death company pile in.
- Oblits decide to take out the remaining assault squad model to get full VP.
- Shooting CSM take out last sniper squad.
- Predator rushes 12" to claim a loot
- scout squad claims another loot
- Death company almost kills off everyone, if not for clever removal of models to deny atks. Power fist champ atks chaplain and misses 3 out of 4 hits again... wounds once, but is saved by rosarius.
end of game, he had 2 loots + 600 pts, for 1000. I had 1 loot + 400 pts for 600. Solid victory for him.
So my problem has always been against fast moving, hard hitting CC units. Especially a 10 strong death company and the chaplain.
Other than the three mistakes I mention, and the bad rolling at key moments, is there anything I could have done to take on his death company? My original goal was to have the Lord take on the assault squad (which he could have if he charged and avoided the power weapon sgt), but when the Lord died turn one, that went poof. The daemonettes' death was also a blow, otherwise I probably could have forced a draw by not having to move my CC squad from contesting a loot.
So I need help guys... How does the Alpha Legion deal with an army that always have 7-10 assault squad and 7-10 death company squad? My friend is VERY GOOD at hiding behind the terrain (we have small forests and 4" buildings scattered around the board per normal rules) such that I barely get a shot at him before he gets to me. I'm really out of ideas at this moment. This applies to any fast moving hard hitting CC armies like the Nids, Khorne, and of course, blood angels.
One problem I have is that AL moves very slowly after deployment, so against 2 full assault squads from the BA, I really can't react that fast. Also, my cultists never get to use their assassin's kit with furious charge.. .they're more used to absorb the charge and slow the DC up. Is there any other way to use them?
My daemonettes are usually MVPs, but the pie plate really did them in.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance!
It was bad luck that your Lord was assaulted and killed. But you learned a lesson - always be aware of your positioning.
To deal with Assault Units, I counter charge them. I have two sacrificial units that absorb the charge. The BA are forced to charge them since they carry Plasma guns, and if they're not dealt with in CC, then they're Rapid Fired into oblivion.
As for the battle report - considering how bad your rolls were, I think you did considerably well. Daemonettes not arriving on time (Were they able to assault the Death Company? They should assaulted them instead of the Assault Squad...), Oblits missing most of the game, and some bad positioning were all critical to your loss. But two of those three you couldn't control.
The Oblits should have Deep Struck this game. They should have landed in his deployment zone, threatening his loot counter and getting close enough to (hopefully) Meltagun the Predator. At the very least, some Autocannon shots into rear armour. Then they could've neutralized the Whirlwind.
If they happen to get some kills in while doing those three jobs, then all the better.
- Summon Daemons
- Be a nuisance
- Absorb casualties
I'll comment on your list in the other thread.
Good point. Though at 1000 pts, I've been told over and over again not to use a Lord and not to give too many things (thus his normal 122 pt level, 132 for this special game). Because of that I don't have D Strength, Dark Blade, and Furious charge... Would you do the same at a low point game with a Lieutenant?
Caluin summed it up realy nice-like.
One thing I should say about your daemon summoning ability: You're investing over 360 points in order to bring out 120 points of daemonettes. That's over a third of your total points. I'm including the cost of the cultist, because their primary role is to summon daemons. Of course, they function as 'red shirts' as well (i.e., wounds) and, as Caluin mentioned earlier, as a distraction & general annoyance to your opponent. Still, I would think that you could spend 360 points on more c.c. and ranged troops that would really boost your army to the next level. If I may suggest a couple of really well-suited units that perform veyr well under pressure:
6 man infiltrating squad with MoCU & 2 plasma guns.
This unit is extremely cost-effective and rarely draws much attention from your oppponent.
8-10 man infiltrating c.c. squad with MoCU, 2 melta guns & an aspiring champion with power fist.
Your c.c. squad is very close to the above configuration. At the 1000 point mark, you should try and stick with no more than 8 marines; it's just plain cheaper that way.
Spambot kill tally. . .337