Librarium Online Forums banner

Ultramarines vs Witch Hunters 1500 Pnts

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  EmoJosh 
#1 ·
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Cleanse Mission between me and a friend, Night Fight on turn one, infiltrate, and deep strike allowed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Ultramarines: 1500 Pnts[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Epistolary: Master Crafted Force Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Fear of the Darkness, Might of Heroes, Purity Seals, Terminator Honours, Bionics, Iron Halo, Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Inquisitor Lord: Master Crafted Thunder Hammer, Bolt Pistol, Holocaust, Hammer Hand, ArtificerArmour, Icon of The Just, Melta Bombs, Bionics, 2 Veterans with Meltaguns, Sage, Familiar[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Death Cult Assassin[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Death Cult Assassin[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]6 Veterans: Lascannon, Plasma gun, Tank Hunters[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Venerable Dreadnought: Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers, Assault Cannon, Heavy Flamer[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Tactical Squad Alpha (7): Missile Launcher, Plasma Gun[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Tactical Squad Beta (7): Heavy Bolter, Plasma Gun[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Scout Squad (7): Missile Launcher, Sniper Rifle, Bolt Pistols & Close Combat Weapons[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Assault Marines (9): Flamer, Veteran Sergeant with Master Crafted Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Purity Seals[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Rhino: Smoke Launchers, Extra Armour[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Whirlwind: Extra Armour, Vengeance Missile System[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Witch Hunters: 1500 Pnts[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Canoness: Eviserator, Inferno Pistol, Bionics, Cloak of St. Aspira, Rosarius[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Sister Squad Alpha (10): Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Veteran Sister Superior with Power Weapon[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Sister Squad Beta (10): Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Veteran Sister Superior with Power Weapon[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Sister Squad Gamma (10): Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Veteran Sister Superior with Power Weapon[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Rhino: Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Seraphim Squad Alpha (5): 2 Twin-linked Hand Flamers, Veteran Sister Superior with CCW & Pistol[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Seraphim Squad Beta (5): 2 Twin-linked Hand Flamers, Veteran Sister Superior with CCW & Pistol[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Dominions (5): 4 Meltaguns, Veteran Sister Superior with Power Weapon[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Immolator: Smoke Launchers, Extra Armour[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Exorcist: Extra Armour[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Exorcist: Extra Armour[/FONT]

Terrain Set Up:
Forest SW, Large Rock Formation NW, 2 Smaller Rock Formations in the center, Ruins in SE, Ruins in NE, Forest in the far East side.
Sorry for no map, but I can't work out how to do it.:((

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Inquisitor Delanus turned away from his bodyguard to Brother Librarian Sychaeus, who was performing the last rite of binding on his force weapon,[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]“The warriors of the Ordo Hereticus are mere hours away, is everything prepared?”[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Librarian nodded, “Nothing escapes my gaze” he said with a wry smile.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]“You know that what we are doing is right, the artefact must be recovered and studied, whatever the cost, too many brave men died to capture it for us to turn away now.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Librarian's smile disappeared, “Of course, The Emperor watches over us, and our deeds, we will prevail.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Deployment: Space Marines: Tactical Squad Alpha deployed in the western wood, Tactical Squad Beta just north of it. The Veteran Squad deployed behind the central rock formation with the Dreadnought and the Inquisitor. The Rhino and Assault Squad deployed further back. The whirlwind deployed south of the western wood, out of line of sight of everything. The Scouts infiltrated in the south eastern ruin with a Death Cult Assassin, the other Death Cult Assassin deployed behind the north western rock formation.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Witch Hunters: Deploy all three Rhinos behind north eastern ruin, with both Seraphim, both Exorcists, and the Immolator behind.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Canoness Sophia nodded to sisters as they embarked into their transports,[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]“The heretics will burn in our righteous flame,” Sophia shouted, “the traitors should have run rather stand to face the holy fury of The Emperor's Chosen, leave none alive.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]With one last look into the pre-dawn darkness Sophia ducked into her Immolator, the Dominions already inside, offering up their souls as a living sacrifice to The Emperor. She had not seen the enemy, but she had sensed the taint of the blasphemous Necron artefact, and, when the light rose, the Ultramarines, and the fallen Inquisitor they guarded would meet their fate.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Witch Hunter Turn 1[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]All three Rhinos advance forward and pop their smoke launchers, two to the north of the central rock formation and one to the north east. The Immolator advances behind and also uses its smoke launchers. The two Exorcists split up, one going west the other going south. One seraphim squad moves up to land behind the Rhinos and Immolator, the other moves south towards the scouts, hiding behind the eastern wood.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Both Exorcists fired, but both couldn't see far enough in the darkness.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]There was no assault this turn.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Sychaeus turned to Delanus,[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]“They are here, I can sense them.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Delanus looked into the gloom, but could see nothing, he opened up his vox-link,[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]“All squads prepare to fire, the Ordo Hereticus have arrived.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Amid crackles of static all the squads answered, the Inquisitor watched as the two sleek assassins disappeared into the darkness, he knew he would never see them again. All of sudden small arms fire began to rattle in the darkness, the battle had begun.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Ultramarine Turn 1[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Tactical Squad Beta advanced north to a better firing position, the northern Death Cult Assassin moved around the rock formation to protect Squad Beta. The Rhino moved up and used its smoke launchers. The Inquisitor and his retinue moved up slightly to protect Tactical Squad Alpha and the Veterans, the Dreadnought did likewise.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Tactical Squad Alpha failed its Night Fight Test and couldn't see anything. The Scouts got a Crew Shaken result on the the eastern Rhino, before the tank-hunting Veterans immobilised it with a plasma gun: one Rhino dealt with. My advancing Dreadnought was about 16'' away from the nearest Rhino, I decided to fire its assault cannon rather than the smoke launchers, my first and most critical mistake. It couldn't see far enough anyway.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]There was no assault this turn.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The sisters of Seraphim Squad Beta soared over the wood as light flooded the battlefield. They could see a unit of scouts in blue armour hunkered down amidst the ruins, a blossom of fire was accompanied by the sound of an anti-tank rocket hitting a nearby Rhino. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]“Kill them!” shouted Maria, the sister superior, “kill them all.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Inciting a prayer to The Emperor they swooped in, flames and bolter shells ricocheting off the scouts' armour, as they turned to meet their foe.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Witch Hunter Turn 2[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The sisters of Rhino Squad Gamma got out and moved back into their own table quarter. Both Exorcists moved 6'' further in the same directions as before. Seraphim Squad Beta landed next to the Scouts. The 2 remaining Rhinos moved up, 1 towards Tactical Squad Beta, 1 towards the Inquisitor and his retinue. Both squads disembarked. The Immolator and Seraphim Squad Alpha moved up behind them, using the Rhinos and the rocks to block line of sight.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Sister Squad Alpha invoked Divine Guidance and kill 3 members of Tactical Squad Beta, Sister Squad Beta pulled the same trick on my Inquisitor, killing his entire retinue and wounding him once, a single Veteran died also. Seraphim Squad Beta shot at the Scouts but killed only 3. My Dreadnought was annihilated by an Exorcist (it would have survived, albeit immobilised if it had used its smoke launchers), worse still the other Exorcist took out my Rhino, even though it only fired 1 shot:O ! And I'd used my smoke launchers! 2 marines died as they struggled from the wreckage, the rest were Entangled. Luckily all my squads past any required leadership tests.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Seraphim Squad Beta charged the remnants of my Scouts, killing 2. In return I killed 2 Seraphim: a draw! I'd been lucky throughout the turn with my armour saves, and my opponent had rolled badly for his Divine Guidance shots, but things were already beginning to look grim.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Inquisitor Delanus gritted his teeth as the last of the flames rolled past him. Seeing the Sisters of Battle reloading in front of him, he hefted his thunder hammer and charged. He didn't need to look behind him to know that his retinue was dead, and the psychic link between him and his servo-skull was gone. Bolter fire rang out behind him as he charged, he would have vengeance.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Ultramarine Turn 2[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Tactical Squad Beta advanced towards Sister Squad Alpha, as did the northern Death Cult Assassin. The Inquisitor moved towards Sister Squad Beta, while Tactical Squad Beta and the Veterans prepared to fire on them. My southern Death Cult Assassin moved to help out my Scouts with the Seraphim. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Tactical Squad Alpha and the Veterans opened fire on Sister Squad Beta, taking down 5 in a hail of bolter shells, plasma bursts etc. My Whirlwind hit Seraphim Squad Alpha, hiding behind the tank wall, and killed 1. The Sisters of Battle past all their leadership and pinning checks.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A Death Cult Assassin charged Seraphim Squad Beta and between him and the Scouts I killed 2 Seraphim, but lost a wound on my Death Cult Assassin. The remaining Seraphim hit & ran. My Inquisitor charged alone into Sister Squad Beta who used Hand of The Emperor to increase their strength. I killed 3 on the charge, but was wounded once by the Sister Superior, and once by a regular sister. I failed both my invulnerable and my armour save, and died. The sisters consolidated into the nearby rock formation. Tactical Squad Beta and a Death Cult Assassin charged in, and, in an incredible feat of marshal prowess, despite a total of about 30 dice being rolled the only casualty from both sides was a single Sister of Battle. They held.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]With a hiss of hydrolics the access ramp of her Immolator fell open, and Sophia leapt out. Seeing the battle in a glance she raced towards a swirling mêlée where her sisters were struggling against the heretics. As she ran the teeth on her blessed eviserator began to spin, and Sophia prepared herself for what was about to come. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Witch Hunter Turn 3[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Canoness got out of her Immolator before it drove off, and she moved towards the combat involving Sister Squad Alpha. The Immolator then moved up to support the last members of Sister Squad Beta, and the Dominions disembarked onto the rock formation. Seraphim Squad Alpha flew into the air before landing next to Tactical Squad Alpha. Sister Squad Gamma finished moving into their own table quarter in order to secure it. The last sister of Seraphim Squad Beta moved back up to flame my wounded Death Cult Assassin. The northern Exorcist manoeuvred to see my Entangled Assault Squad, and the other moved to get line of sight to my Whirlwind.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The northern Exorcist killed 3 members of my Assault Squad who passed their leadership test. The other Exorcist took the vengeance missile launcher off my Whirlwind with a glancing hit. The Dominions, the Immolator, the Rhinos, and the last members of Sister Squad Beta opened up the Veterans, wiping them out. Seraphim Squad Alpha flamed Tactical Squad Alpha in the woods, but could only kill one. Seraphim Squad Beta flamed my Death Cult Assassin, but failed to wound.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Seraphim Squad Alpha charged Tactical Squad Alpha, took a single casualty and caused none, they held. Seraphim Squad Beta charged my Death Cult Assassin, and we wiped each other out (I mistakenly thought Death Cult Assassins only had Initiative 4, not 5, so I died needlessly; the moral of the story: learn your rules). In the large combat between Tactical Squad Alpha, a Death Cult Assassin, and Sister Squad Alpha, the arrival of Sophia failed to tip the balance, as although she killed 1 Ultramarine, I killed 2 sisters, they passed their leadership tests.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Having struggled free of the burning wreckage of his Rhino, Sychaeus turned to the remains of his squad.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]“Fire!”[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Bolt pistol shells cut through the air, and beside him Brother Germanicus fired his flamer. The sisters before them writhed in the superheated air before dropping down as blackened corpses.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Ultramarine Turn 3[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Librarian led Assault Squad advanced towards Sister Squad Beta. The Whirlwind decided to tank shock the Dominions, and they failed their test, running through the rocks. The last 2 Scouts moved out behind the ruins to block line of sight. Everything else was in combat or destroyed.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The only shooting was the Librarian and the Assault Squad who took out the last 2 members of Sister Squad Beta.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]In the combat between Tactical Squad Alpha and Seraphim Squad Alpha there were no casualties, and the Seraphim Squad Hit & Ran. In the main combat 1 more sister fell from Sister Squad Alpha, along with 1 Ultramarine, the Death Cult Assassin was wounded and then died from being outnumbered and fearless, but the last 2 Ultramarines held.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Sophia's eviserator roared as it split the marine's armour. Sparks flew as the Ultramarin's helmet was torn apart by the whirring blades. Sophia turned and swung another heavy blow, shearing a blue armoured warrior down at the waist. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The battle was going well, but their were still more enemies to take care of, and the heretical Librarian still held the artefact.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Witch Hunter Turn 4[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Exorcists didn't move this turn. The last Seraphim squad flew past Tactical Squad Alpha and landed in my table quarter, Sister Squad Gamma continued to hold his. The mobile Rhinos and the Immolator moved to fire at my Assault Squad, and the Dominions rallied.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Dominions blew my Whirlwind sky high with their meltaguns. One Exorcist, Rhinos, and Immolator blew apart 3 marines from my Assault Squad, leaving just the Librarian and Veteran Sergeant left. They did at least past their leadership test. The other Exorcist killed 4 from Tactical Squad Alpha in the woods, but they held also.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The assault phase was brutal: I killed one last Sister of Battle, before my remaining men were killed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Things were going badly, Brother-Librarian Sychaeus knew that. His men, veterans of dozens of battles were dyeing, and he knew that victory was now beyond his reach. Yet he was determined that the deaths of his brothers would not go unavenged. Beyond the nearby rocks he saw some slight, black armoured figures, and charged.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Ultramarine Turn 4[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]My Librarian charged over the rock formation towards the Dominions, the Scouts and the Veteran Sergeant of the Assault Squad moved towards the 3 Seraphim.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Tactical Squad Alpha opened up on Sister Squad Alpha, killing 1 and taking them below half strength. All my fire on the Seraphim came to nothing.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]My Librarian charged into the Dominions, and killed 3, but they held.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Sophia suddenly saw the enemy Librarian, hacking down her trusty bodyguard. Wrenching her eviserator free she ran towards the combat.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]“Stop traitor,” she screamed, “The Emperor himself condemns your witchcraft, and he is here to claim his revenge.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Librarian turned to face her, “Today, on this field, you die Sophia,” he answered, before raising his force weapon.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Canoness was taken off by the attack. She raised her eviserator to parry the first blow, but the Librarian was strong, too strong, and demoniacally fast. With a single blow he smashed Sophia's eviserator out of her hand, knocking her to the flaw with the physic force of his staff; before putting bolter shell through her head.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Witch Hunter Turn 5[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The northern Exorcist and Sister Squad Alpha move towards Tactical Squad Alpha. The other Exorcist can't see anything and just sits where it is, claiming a table quarter; Sister Squad Gamma does the same. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Seraphim, Rhinos, and Immolator kill the last member of the Assault Squad, and the Exorcist brings down Tactical Squad Alpha.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Canoness charges into my Librarian, but with the help of Might of Heroes, I kill her before she can raise her eviserator; the Sister Superior of the Dominions does put a wound on my Librarian, and I fail my invulnerable save.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Sychaeus turned to face the two women behind him. As he did so an instinct, honed by decades of war, made him duck, and a blast of superheated air moved past him, burning his face and warping his armour. His body fought to heal the wounds, and the blood caked on his face as he prepared to attack. The women who had fired was frantically preparing another burst, Sychaeus shot her between the eyes.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Ultramarine Turn 5[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]All over bar the shouting. My Scouts moved into assault range of the Seraphim, and my Librarian was in combat. I had 3 models left on the board.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]My shooting achieved nothing.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]My scouts charged the Seraphim, and lost a single Scout for no kills, at least they held. My Librarian only killed a single Dominion due to that stupid Spirit of the Martyr, those acts of faith had been plaguing me all game.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Seraphim swarmed over the last scout, and he fell to their combined attacks, his armour blown apart by bolt rounds and charred by flame. They turned to see the last enemy, the Librarian fighting with pointless fervour against sister Xanthae, but the spirit of The Emperor was with her, and his blows miraculously were turned aside by the force of her faith.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Witch Hunter Turn 6[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Witch Hunters move, settling into their table quarters to claim them, they get the North East, North West, South East, and South West (assuming the Seraphim survive the battle above half strength).[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]There was no shooting.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]In Assault my last Scout dies, and can't scratch the Seraphim. And my Librarian continues to be unable to kill the Dominion Sister Superior, even with a 3+ invulnerable save you still expect 5 wounds to kill her![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Sychaeus continued to duel with his opponent, if he could just kill her then he might yet escape, as the day was drawing to a close and without their canoness the sisters might be slow to search for the artefact, and, if they were, by then he'd be long gone.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Ultramarine Turn 6[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Onto the assault phase. Predictably I fail to scratch my opponent despite getting another 3 wounds. In return she wounds my Librarian twice. Never mind, I thought, he has an Iron Halo. Wrong, its obviously a broken Iron Halo as I fail both saves, and die. And lose. By a lot.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The last Dominion picked up the thing that the Librarian had dropped. She did not know what it was; it was a short blade, which caught the light in strange ways, semi-translucent. She held it by the hilt, and did not dare test its blade, which seemed impossibly sharp. Turning away she joined her sisters, who were even now mourning over the loss of Sophia: a true heroine of The Imperium.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Behind her, in the growing dusk Brother Sychaeus stirred. Groggily, but without a sound he pulled himself up, the blood streaming from the two wounds across his chest already slowing. Vengeance would be done.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Post Battle[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Before you rip apart my army list I would like to point out: my army list is actually only 1250 Pnts, 1000 as I don't like to use the Inquisitor bits of it; so I was playing with far more war gear, and I had to upgrade my marines to veterans and the like.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]That said I was completely outplayed. My first mistake I think occurred in Turn 1, never a good thing, when I didn't use smoke launchers. I probably made more later, but if my Dreadnought had survived its heavy flamer (which would have hit all of Sister Squad Beta) and its Assault Cannon would probably have killed enough to allow my Inquisitor to survive, and then would have taken one turns Exorcist fire away from my poor assault squad as well. It might not have been game changing, but it would have helped. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I would appreciate some advice, constructive that is, don't just tell me I suck (which I might/do) but give some actual helpful advice about what to add to my army list, and what I should have done. I am prepared to leave the Inquisitor and Assassins out the list if you think they're a dead weight.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][/FONT]

See less See more
#2 ·
Ahh you did well. Everyone loses. I wanted your side to win though, go underdogs. I wonder if this miraculously healing librarian might someday return?

#3 ·
Thanks, and, of course, Sychaeus always returns. More serioulsy I've got used to losing, once I've finished my army I will get a re-match. But, until I get more marines on the table it's going to take more skill than I have to pull of a convincing victory.
W D L
So far: 0/1/3:ninja:

I might have to reset my scores and start again:cry:

#4 ·
Well, looking at your basic UM list, it's kind of slow. You've got, basically, 20 tactical marines with a few HW's, a medium sized scout squad, and the Rhino-mounted assault squad to accompany the Librarian. Add a Whirlwind and Dread to boot.

What you ran into was a superiorly constructed force while yours was ad hoc. Don't beat yourself up too much. If you built a well-rounded 1500pt list of UM, you would have been much more competitive. Those Acts of Faith are still a chore to deal with...

So, adding to the units above, you need some Fast Attack units. I would recommend putting JP's on the Assault squad (and Librarian) and letting a tac squad ride in the Rhino. Then grab a speeder or bike squad for some mobile firepower, and I think you're good. Well, almost--you need to add some more tac troops, IMO. I also think you need to decide whether you're going to shoot or assault with your scouts ahead of time, and deploy them accordingly. Your mix of models in the scout squad is a bit inefficient, but flexible.

Run 2 full-sized tac squads alongside the dread, and push towards the enemy on foot. Use the Rhino-mounted tac squad as a reserve, to either move to an advantageous firing postion, capture an objective, or fill in the line. Infiltrate the scouts to a good annoying postion and let them cause whatever trouble they can for your opponent--consider them expendable. Use the Assault squad/Librarian to go for an objective or as a counter-assault unit as the scenario warrants. Before throwing in your assault squad (possibly backed-up by the Rhino-Tac squad) use the Whirlwind and your mobile-firepower unit (speeders/bikes) to soften up the enemy at the point of attack. They can then go for targets of opportunity in a clean-up role.

#5 ·
That SoB player knew what he was doing but it seemed he rolled badly and made a few bad assaults from what I gathered. He rolled very well with that last Sister though......a little TO well. :w00t: If you'd had a Predator or something you prolly could have stopped some Rhinos or popped an Exorcist, the meanest tank to play against Power Armor.

#6 ·
Yeah, I was thinking of changing my army list quite a lot.
I was going to drop all the Inquisitorial stuff, except I might keep the Inquisitor as a normal one and attach him to a squad, as I like the model, and he's only 50 pnts.
Once I lose a lot of the wargear that will take me down to just over 1000 Pnts. Giving me 500 to play with.
I was planning on getting:
-Landspeeder w/t Multi Melta
-Predator Annihilator w/t Twin-linked Lascannons & Heavy Bolter Sponsoons, Extra Armour
-Fill out my Scout Squad to 10 men, drop the sniper rifle but add a veteran sergeant w/t power weapon
-Get another tactical squad (I was thinking in a similar way to the others, but after what Grotstompa said perhaps one in a Rhino.
-Make the Veterans Infiltrate, not Tank Hunt

I don't plan to put JPs on my Assault Squad any time soon as I don't have the models, and I think there are more important things to do first, but I do think they need support, something a Rhino bound tactical squad could give.
The Lanspeeder should act as a table quarter grabber, and occasional tank hunter if I need one, but with only 1 shot it probably won't be that effective.
The Predator is there just to take out transports really, as at my Games Workshop everyone takes loads of Rhinos, Sentinels, Trucks etc, which the Predator could easily deal with.
Finally the Scouts. I know they're inefficient, and I will probably either assault or shoot with them, but they are very flexible, and with the veterans can easily hold a table quater on their own.

#7 ·
5 Scouts with Snipers are pretty good actually. It's a unit you don't mind losing and it can put some wounds on big monsters and pin low Ld units.

If you're gonna use Speeders, make 2 with Multi-Meltas than they can damage any big tank in the game besides the Monolith pretty easily. Your army looks like it wouldn't be able to deal with the typical "I put 8 Termies in a LRC and you die".

That's just my ideas. Go Predators btw, awesome tank.

#8 ·
5 Scouts with Snipers are pretty good actually. It's a unit you don't mind losing and it can put some wounds on big monsters and pin low Ld units.

If you're gonna use Speeders, make 2 with Multi-Meltas than they can damage any big tank in the game besides the Monolith pretty easily. Your army looks like it wouldn't be able to deal with the typical "I put 8 Termies in a LRC and you die".

That's just my ideas. Go Predators btw, awesome tank.
Thanks for the advice, I am considering taking two landspeeders (at least one) as it would make them more of a threat. But I'm not to keen on the whole sniper thing, I don't like them to be honest, even with 5 of them I'll be lucky to get my points back, as, unless something like a C'Tan comes along (where their wounding rules would come in useful) I just can't see them doing much. And they cost 18 Pnts each.
Actually I can deal with major enemy assault squads currently, I've only fought one battle against Terminators where they had 6 of them lead by a Chaplain and 10 Jump Packed Assault Marines with another Chaplain. I got my first (and only) draw against them, my best result, as I killed both Chaplains with my Librarian and took out all the Assault Marines and most of the Terminators. I was just a pity the rest of his army got in the way:yes: .

#9 ·
Well from what I saw of heavy guns on your list it didn't seem to scratch AV14 very well. I don't view Lascannons as a true tank busting gun, more of a big gribbly and lighter tank gun.

I like the Scouts, most don't that's why few people take them. It's not about making their points back, if they pin a unit with some scary guns for even one turn that's making their points back to me. If they pinned say an Assault Squad or Devestaor squad even once, they did well in my eyes.

Your Librarian can probably eat through alot of assulty type threats cause......it's a Librarian. I'd be curious to see your army against a super assault force like Orks or Tyranids though.

#10 ·
I get your point, I might have trouble against a Land Raider, although, the Landspeeders with Multi Meltas would help if got them.
Against Orks/Tyranids I'm not sure how it would perform as I haven't played either army (ever), let alone with my current list. I'd guess it would lose, as it does that against most of the lists I've played so far:) .
I'm still not convinced about the Scouts yet, but I do actually have a box of unopened scouts with sniper rifles, so maybe I'll paint them up and give them a try if I have time.

#11 ·
I think you could beat them. It's all about target selection. Multi-shot guns hit the small stuff, big strength weapons shoot the large gribblies. Mop up the rest with standard rat a tat bolts.

#12 ·
Sounds simple enough, but, with terrain and target priority and my own tactical inneptitude I bet I could bugger up my chances of a win by turn 4, no probs:) .
More seriously I think that that's good advice, but, in heat of battle I'm not sure I'd be able to pull it off.

#14 · (Edited)
you can only have one officio assassinorium assassin. But you can have up to 9 (3 groups of 3) death cult assassins.

edit: Also wanted to say, great battle report! Very well written, good descriptive language. I don't know about the rest of you guys but I often have trouble visualizing what most people are trying to say in their battle reports.

#16 ·
As far as battle reports go it was very good. The only thing that could be better is some pictures but not everyone has a digital camera.

Have more faith in yourself man! Winnign a game is all confidence, if I'm standing across from you and your all unsure of what your doing I've already won. Just some nmore advice.

#17 ·
Actually I do have a digital camera, but I just didn't think of taking pictures at the time. And, contrary to popular belief, I have actually won a game of 40K. 2 years ago a 13th Company army of mine enjoyed a decent sucess rate, winning more games than it lost (I know, I was amazed too), but it is now illegal thanks to Games Workshop.
But I know what you mean about confidence, you make better decisions if you genuinely think that you're right. Too many time in the last game I did things in half measures, because I wasn't sure whether to assault or shoot. The perfect example was where I shot at a Sister Squad before charging with my lone Inquisitor, I should thrown the Veterans in too, as I'm pretty sure I would have won if that was the case, and the Sisters would probably have held too, protecting me from fire. Instead I did the worst thing possible, shooting a bit, charging and killing a couple but dying in the process and not finishing them off. Hopefully I won't make that kind of mistake again.

#18 ·
I didn't know 13th Company was illegal, I knew Ulthwe Strike Force was but I thought the other lists from Eye of Terror were all good. Hmmmmmm.

#20 ·
I'm pretty sure you were told wrong because alot of people play Lost and the Damned but in my opinion, 13th Company is a very bad army list. It's meant to be themed, not a competitive list. I'm sure someone will disagree with me but your better off with standard Marines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.