1500 Thornwind vs Tau Empire - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

1500 Thornwind vs Tau Empire

NOTE: Yes there are screenshots in this report. Yes they are taken of Vassal, I made this afterwards, the game was played in real life. And Yes I have never used screenshots before, hence in many of them part of the map is missing. I have also made many mistakes in the screenshots, please refer to the report itself for the info, the pics are occasionally missing casualties or counters. They are also to be used as a general guide to the game, measurements and placings (even numbers) are by no means exact.

And sorry I'm too tired to write fluff, maybe later.

EDIT: Oh and this game was against Onlainari, he hangs around LO sometimes.

1500 Thornwind Eldar

Farseer Kae (pronounced K-eye-eh) /w jetbike, eldritch storm, doom, spirit stones

9 striking scorpions
    exarch /w scorpions claw
    Wave Serpent /w spirit stones, twin-eldar missiles, vectored engines, star engines

5 howling banshees
    Exarch /w triskele

5 fire dragons

9 dire avengers
    Exarch /w diresword, pistol, bladestorm
    Wave Serpent /w spirit stones, twin-lances

5 pathfinders

Vyper /w pair of shurikannons

Falcon /w scatter laser, holo-fields, spirit stones (Epsilon)

Falcon /w 2 shurikannons, holo-fields, spirit stones (Echo)

1500 Tau Empire
    Sorry I know very little about the tau, I know he had a lot more upgrades on the tanks/suits than I have listed.

Commander Shas’o (the BS5 one) /w tau meltagun (fusion blaster?), missile pods

2 crisis suits /w plasma rifles, twin-linked (missile pods?)

1 crisis suit /w plasma rifle, missile pods (might have this one wrong)

4 stealth suits

12 Fire Warriors
    Fish /w decoy launchers + w/e

6 Fire Warriors
    Fish /w decoy launchers + w/e

10 kroot

12 kroot

15 kroot + 2 kroot hounds
    [I’m not certain on kroot numbers, they may have all been squads of 12]

6 gun drones

Hammerhead /w railgun, smart missile system, target lock + whatever

Omega Secure and Control
    He chose the top table side. I won the turn roll and chose 2nd.

Turn 1 Tau
    Pathfinders are shot off board, 2 survivors run.

Turn 1
    Pathfinders keep running, pistols both miss.

Turn 2
    Commander and 2 suits come on from reserves. The pathfinders are blown off the board.

Turn 2
    Everything except the scorpions come in, banshees in Epsilon, dragons in Echo. Falcons advance 12” down the left side of the board and open fire, killing some kroot. Avengers and their serpent arrive on the right and bladestorm the kroot in heavy cover out of existence, revenge for the pathfinders! Vyper kills some of the kroot on the top-right side. Farseer Kae has been following the falcons but is just out of range to fry some kroot.

Turn 3
    Everything except the 6 man fire warrior squad (named ‘half-squad’) and their fish, as well as the stealth suits are on the board now. The hammerhead is coming down the right with the 12 man fire warrior squad and the lone suit. The commander and the 2 suits are on the left, gun drones accompany the commander on the left. Nothing deep-strikes oddly enough, he said he didn’t like it.

Shooting sees the crisis suits shooting into Epsilon, with incredible luck they get 4 glances and manage to kill it! It dies over 1 of the loot counters. My wave serpent (thankfully empty) is killed by the smart missiles from the hammerhead. The hammerhead tried to submunition my bunched up avengers but missed (almost lost a whole squad there). The broadsides shake Echo (after the commander missed). My vyper dies somehow; it must have been the lone suit (or some kroot). Assault phase the crisis suits jumped back out of sight of course.

Turn 3
    My serpent full of scorpions doesn’t come in, damnit! Well the 4 surviving banshees (3+exarch) that survived the crash are entangled, Echo is shaken and so tank shocks the commander and the drones surrounding him. The drones flee. My avengers try to get into a better position to shoot kroot next turn but due to some crappy difficult terrain and a 1” fleet they’re sitting ducks. Farseer Kae tries to eldritch storm some kroot but fails his psychic test on an 11. It’s at this point when I have only 3 units capable of doing anything that I’m in serious trouble…

Turn 4
    His stealth suits walk onto the board in the centre, again no deep-strike. The half squad and their fish fly down the left side to back up their commandante. Shooting sees the tau commander shaking Echo and the broadsides blowing off the pulse laser and shaking it, the crisis suits manage to shake Echo another 3 times. The right side of the board advances towards the centre, not much is really in range. The hammerhead drops a submunition on my avengers, killing 5. His suits jump back to try and escape Echo, the commander is too close to get any real distance.

Turn 4
    My scorpions still don’t arrive! I’m going to smash their tea set so the pansies can’t have any more wild late night parties! Echo is shaken so it unfortunately can’t kill the commander, the 5 dragons in it have some choices to make however. Eventually I decide the dragons can disembark and melt the half-squad devilfish as it’s a scoring unit and the commander isn’t. The fish dies horribly (rolled 2 5’s, re-rolled to another 5) and 3 fire warriors survive the crash; entangled. Echo meanwhile has managed to tank shock the 2 crisis suits back! And since it’s within 6” they can’t rally next turn!

The avengers all get into the building, hoping to stay scoring for a while longer. Alas it wasn’t to be. The banshees are trying to hide behind Epsilon’s wreck to claim the objective. Farseer is close behind (eldritch storm killed 2 kroot).

Turn 5
    Well my banshee’s couldn’t hold an objective after all, the 12 man fish flew up and they all jumped out, rapid-fire death. The crisis suits ran off the board, unable to rally. He poured an ungodly amount of firepower into Echo and it came out just shaken. Only 1 fire dragon was killed by the commander. My avengers are reduced to just the exarch who was out of sight. The highlight of that turn was my dragons came out alive!

Turn 5
    At the loss of their tea set my scorpions reluctantly come on (I rolled a 2). The fire warriors are so close I don’t need to arrive in the serpent. The serpent flies the full 36” and shocks the 12 man fire warrior squad, the kroot in the middle, and the stealth suits. Only the kroot run away, unable to rally courtesy of the nearby serpent. However due to difficult terrain they run very slowly.

Echo still can’t shoot so let’s have some more tank shock fun, it slams into the 3 remaining fire warriors from half-squad and they flee the board. Due to some poor range guessing on my behalf only 1 fire dragon is in range of the tau commander, it melts him to a puddle anyway. The farseer matches the tau JSJ trick. He dooms the 12 man fire warrior squad and jumps behind one of the storage tank like things on the left of the board. I didn’t want to eldritch storm as it might scare way the fire warriors.

The scorpions charge the full fire warrior squad and predictably tear it to pieces. Consolidate into some cover near the loot counter. Oh and my avenger exarch failed last man standing and fled the board.

Turn 6
    Well this is it folks, he has to kick me off some objectives. The fleeing kroot shoot into the rear of my serpent, none glance though. The broadsides go after Echo and shake it yet again, the hammerhead decides it really can’t afford another 36” tank shock and misses the serpent. The lone crisis suit manages to shake it. The stealth suits desperately have to bring my scorpions below scoring but only kill 2, the fish’s drones unattach but they miss and the fish can’t break the scorpion armour. His lone crisis suit and the stealth suits fly onto the centre objective.

Turn 6
    Another turn could yet be played through random game length. The fire dragons run up behind the big tank thing on the left and hold a counter while being out of sight. Echo tank shocks the stealth suits off the objective, unfortunately they don’t flee and Echo is just out of range of the middle objective. The scorpions move to hide behind Epsilon’s wreck and pick up where the banshees left off. The farseer remained hidden. The serpent attempts to tank shock the lone crisis suit off the objective but fails to break its nerve, looks like he’s holding that counter after all. No turn 7 occurs.

Result: We have each killed about half the enemy’s army (admittedly I made most of his run away instead) and we each hold 2 loot counters. It’s a draw.

Man of the Match: For me it is obviously Echo. The site of a broken falcon scared the hell out of the tau all game, although by the end it was my only unit not on an objective >.<

I’m not sure what he would have thought was best, perhaps the crisis suits for killing Epsilon so early.

Lessons Learned: My army must stay together. Especially when much of it is in reserve. That way if a tank goes down the troops inside can still live.

Last edited by LordLink; June 10th, 2007 at 18:20.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

Nice report, sounds like a good game.

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x2)

Looks like a good 'en. I'm sure it would have gone differently if your scorpions had shown up earlier. Seems to me like you set your pathfinders up too close.. they have good range, no?

Anyways, good match.
    2H - LEGIO HYDRA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Well the way I saw it it didn't matter where my pathfinders went, they were dead. I thought (lets infiltrate/scout close to the broadsides, if he doesn't put kroot there I can attack them. Obviously he will put kroot there, that means I just have to scout and fleet back into cover.

Unfortunately he surprised me with 3 kroot squads and surrounded em >.<

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x2)

Kroot. I love 'em.

Why don't you use any of those godang amazing Harlequins. Nobody can even see them until they're in your face. Tau would have a hard time against them.
    2H - LEGIO HYDRA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

228 (x8)

I don't use harlequins because they are way to slow for my army, despite fleet of foot. One of my falcons has a broken turret and so I'm converting that into a fire prism in the near future, leaving me with only 1 falcon. This then gets to alternate between carrying dragons and banshees.

Harlequins-most over-rated thing in the game after doom.

I have never found doom useful. (

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x3)

i dont think ive ever seen tank shock used so effectivlyt!!! good game
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

+ Reply to Thread