1500pts Imperial Fist vs. Eldar rematch - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500pts Imperial Fist vs. Eldar rematch

Imperial Fists

HQ

Master: Power Fist, Terminator Armor, Storm Bolter, Bionics – 135pts

Elite

1 x 9 Terminators: 2 x Assault Cannon – 400pts

Troop

4 x 7 Tac Marines: Missle Launchersx3, Las Cannon, Plasma Gun – 505pts

Heavy Support

Vindicator x 2 – 250pts

1 x 10 Devastators: HB x 4 – 210pts

Eldar Bastages

HQ

Autarch: Reaper Launcher, Laser Lance, Jetbike, Mandiblasters

Farseer: Doom, Guide, 3+ Invul save and 2+ wounding Spear, Spirit Stones, Mind War

Troops

2 x 10 Dire Avengers: Exarch w/ Extra gun thingy, Bladestorm

Elite

1 x 6 Harliquin - Had rending attacks not sure if thats standard or not, Fusion Pistol x 1

Hvy Support

Falcon: Holo-field, Spirit Stones, Scatter Laser, Pulse Laser, Shuriken Cannon

1 x 5 Dark Reapers: Exarch with Eldar Missile Launcher, Fast Shot

Wraithlord: Starcannon, Eldar Missile Launcher

Fast Attack

1 x 5 Shining Spears

Setup:

Ok, both on long board edges, slightly smaller table. 60"x40" we set up within 12" of edge and not withing 24" of eachother. Search and Destroy. Not good with hosting pictures so you'll have to follow my description.

Cover: Basically a building missing 2 of its corner, but with 2 existing 3+ save corners facing each of us on th efar left. In the middle was a large oblong forest patch 18"x12" thick of difficult terrain that blocked LOS at any point more than 6" deep. 5+ cover save otherwise. And patch of Dangerous terrain on my far right in the middle that was 12" long and 6" wide. Same rules as the forest, just Dangerous terrain to cross.

My Deployment: Starting from the right was 2 Tac Squads with a Vindicator, then Tac Squad, moving left was the Termies, Dev Squad right behind them, and last Tac squad on the left flank about 12" from the left side board. The other Vindi was just in front of them.

Eldar Deployment: Shining Spears and Falcon(w/Harlies) on left opposite the building cover which blocked LOS from my Vindi, then a Dire Avenger squad to the right of that. Wraithlord to the right with Farseer right behind him for cover and the other DA squad to the right opposite my Dev Squad with the forest in the middle blocking all LOS. Then on the far right was his Reaper Squad, with a diagonal line of sight to my Dev and middle Tac Squad.

Basically the lines of fire sucked with 2 main ones around the large chunk of forest in the center. I wasn't terribly happy with my deployment choices, but oh well.

Turn 1

Eldar with first turn, again :p

Eldar Movement: His Shining Spears turbo down the left flank and get counterclockwise around the center building cover. His Falcon moves the other way up and gets into position to fire on my Dev Squad. WL moves up the middle. Farseer follow and Guides the Falcon. For some reason the left Avenger squad moves counterclockwise around the cover instead of trying to go up the middle. Guess he was scared my Vindi on the left. The other DA squad moves up into the forest.

Shooting. Falcon guns down a few Dev marines, the Reapers shoot across 5+ cover low lying terrain and kill a few more in my Dev Squad. WL gets one More. Glad I put 10 in there

My Movement: Left Tac squad close 6" with the Shining spears. My left Vindi moves 12" in order to get into firing position for enxt round. He has nothing in clear sight except for Spears with a 3+ Invul. The other Vindi essentially has to do the same thing on the other flank, moving 12" around dangerous swap.

Shooting: My 7 man squad on the left rapid fires and Dev Squad all fire at Spears, killing 2. The WLord goes down to ML and Terminator fire.

Turn 2

Eldar Movement: Spears split up, the Autarch assaults left Tac Squad and his others move to center of board making themselves juicy targets. He moves his falcon 12" next to the Spears. Left DA squad retreats further hoping their Fleet will bring them around into usefulness but they roll a one. Other DA squad move up thru the forest into position to fire from cover at my Termies. Farseer runs for cover into the woods and dooms the terminators.

Shooting and Assault: Dire Avengers are guided and fire at Termies but they make 16 2+ saves. What can I say, The Emperor Protects. It was to be a recurring theme. Fortunately he forgot to Bladestorm. Autarch assaults and kills 4 marines, takes one wound all hold position. Reapers kill 3 more from Dev Squad leaving one HB guy who makes his last man standing. Yay 10 Ld! Falcon in position unloads a whole mess of S6 and 8 shots into the side armor of my right Vindi. It dies before firing a shot. I should have risked the dangerous terrain. Never try outrace Eldar to an opportunity. I'm getting that tatoo'd on me somewhere.

My Movement: Only termies move up to get into assault range on spears. I didn't think one volley would finish them so I take the bait even though on his turn the harlies will be right on me.

Shooting and Assault: Termies kills 2 spears and assault the last one killing it. The three Tac Squads not in CC and the lone HB marine open fire on the Dire Avengers in the middle of the board in the forest leaving 2 who fail morale and essentially leave the game at this point. My remaining Vindi tries to land a shell on the Falcon but it scatters just behind it failing to penetrate the rear armor. The left Tac squad in CC with Autarch cause one more wound and loses a marine leaving 2. They hold, once again yay 10 Ld.

Turn 3

This is the turn the Emperor smiled most benignly upon my Terminator Squad.

Eldar Movement: Harlies disembark right near the Termies. The Falcon flies over them all to get into position to shoot my last Vindi's side armor. The remaining DA squad finally moves into a shooting position on my termies. The Farseer runs out of the woods and tries to Doom terminators and guide harlies. But he fails both rolls and almost gets dragged screaming to the warp!

Shooting and Assault: Falcon destroys remaining Vindicator. Reapers wax last Dev marine. DAs Bladestorm and fail to kill any termies with 32 shots. Harlies fire and do likewise, the fusion pistol of the leader missing. On the assault with 24 rending strikes get 2 rends, one of which is saved. All other saves made. One dead Termie after all that. My opponent was very cool about it all. Counter attack from the terminators in range kill 5 Harlies, last one makes morale check and splits using Hit & Run. Autarch and 2 marines dance another round no wounds this time.

My Movement: My one slightly exposed tac squad moves right six inches so all three are now blocked LOS wise from the Reapers.

Shooting and Assaulting: I forgot about the 6's needed to hit a fast skimmer or I would have elected to wax his DA squad in range. Instead I shoot at the Falcon and charge it. After 8 rending shots and 24 powerfists I manage to take off the Pulse laser and one other weapon. Falcons have earned my eternal respect after that. He is now pretty much out of anything AP2 except his Autarch. My ML guys kill the lone Farseer with some prime long distance shooting. The Autarch kills one marine in CC, last one fails his check and runs off the board to his eternal shame.

Turn 4

Eldar Movement: Now missing anything that can effectively hurt the Terminators he begins to withdraw to conserve points and force a draw. The DA's fleet behind come cover and out of range of termies. Autauch moves next to some LOS cover but doesnt get behind it. The Falcon flies 24" back to his table edge. The Reapers stay where they are but have nothing in LOS.

Shooting and Assault: Falcon tries a Shuriken cannon on Termies to no effect. Autarch pops 2 marines from downtown to remind me they are not totally safe, then moves in Assault(damn Xeno jetbikes!!) to get back behind LOS blocking cover.

My Movement: Right side marine squads start moving to the swamp to see if I can get thru and shoot at Reapers. Nothing is in LOS for them atm. Termies move up a bit but only have the Harlie in LOS.

Shooting: Termies kill last Harliquin.

Turn 5

Eldar Movement: The falcon moves 6" but stays close enough to fire once more at Termies. Everything else is pretty safe.

Shooting: Falcon shoots and and fails to hurt any Termies.

My Movement: Termies close with Falcon. I think better of moving my marines thru the swamp and exposing them to a round of Reaper fire even if they get a 5+ cover save.

Shooting: Assault cannon fire knocks off final weapon on Falcon.

At this point we call it, he's got nothing he's going to move out to hit me for fear of instant retaliation and I can't chase anything of his down. We tally up the points and its 140pts in my favor, but still a draw. Much better than my previous engagements with him.

We both made some tactical errors, I probably shouldn't have charged his Spears, instead using the distance to get me away from the Harlies in the falcon and counting on my stick and move termies to weather whatever he was going to do. By all rights what they went thru on turn 3 should have really killed most if not all of them.

Last edited by slamfu; June 19th, 2007 at 02:04.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Well, it looked like the Terminators worked. Was it just me misinterpreting or did he pass a bitchload of Target Priority tests when shooting at your Devastators? Were they behind or in front of the Tactical Squads?

Vindicators didn't do much. I told ye so.

You may want to consider Lysander in higher-points lists, along with another Terminator squad if you find you like them. Lysanderwing can be a lot of fun. "Oops, what's that? Turn 3? Here's thirty-one Terminators. Boosh."
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

Wow those termies are indestructable.The harlies rending (harlequin kiss) costs extra but expect on any eldar player if he uses them. The only thing I would consider for your list is a speeder, it is usefull for blocking the falcon's rear acces point meaning they can't assault you. Otherwise great report, very clear.
    2009 Tourny records (W-L-D) (20-4-4):
    9/56, 1/12, 2/14, 4/14, 32/82, 1/6, 16/72

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x6)

imo, the eldar player made a good lot of mistakes, mostly involving his shining spears. Good job on your part though for taking advantage of it!
    IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT!

I survived LO Chat thanks to: Karmoon, Rabbit, Process, Tossy and Meish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good job!

However the eldar player played his spears poorly. And you had incredible luck with your terminator saves, and that´s not going to last. So don´t start thinking theyre invulnerable. 16+32 saves from shuriken fire + 24 rending attacks isn´t going to happen again.. ever. But enjoy the moment and prepare for his revenge!

I´d swap the vindicators for a predator annihilator(only tank that can take its points back against eldar before blowing up) and another small dev squad with heavy bolters for shredding dire avengers until harlies emerge.
    Currently painting The Pink Slaughter (Slaanesh CSM), Waaaaagh Bigtoof (Orks) for 40k/OnePage40k and UCM Ferrum 2nd for Dropzone Commander.
    Gallery:http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/us...tiebestie.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea poodle, Vindis didn't do much. I've revised my list for the next fight. Pretty much 2 units types never seem to do much, Tac Marines and Hvy Support. I think both are either too slow or too fragile to last long, especially if I have bad fire lanes or lose the first round initiative. Also, for some reason I thought Demolisher guns were Barrage which they arent so terrain really reduced my options on what I could shoot at. I will agree preds are probably my best bet.

My termies got so lucky it kinda spoiled the fight, but whatever. As my opponent pointed out he's had some decent luck in previous games and units that rely on 6's and 1's are "high variance" odds wise so stuff like this is going to happen. In defense of the Spears he basically made a slight miscalculation on distances in the beginning, and his strat of baiting my termies with the others when he split would likely have worked out had his Farseer succeeded in getting off his Guide and Doom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all, I was the Eldar player in this match. Just wanted to throw in a couple cents from my perspective.

The only factual distinction I would make with the battle report involves the Shining Spears. The first round they made their 24" move, but were still over 15" from any target. The dev squad and the nearest 7 man marine squad both fired, inflicting 2 casualties total. However, there was no assault in that round. At that point, my Spears were still to far to assault anything except the 7 man squad, but I was worried that they wouldn't survive another round of fire (they had done well to only take 2 casualties after the first round). So the Autarch split, fired on the 7 man squad and then assaulted them, killing 5.

The rest of the Spears moved 24" again, in front of the terminators. My goal was to use the Spears as cover (or, if you prefer, bait) to give the Harlies and the Autarch time to make a combined assault on the Terminators in a later round. I forgot that the Autarch would likely be stuck for a while (could only use Withdraw special ability while with the Exarch). In retrospect, it was a bad move with the spears, as it forced me to scramble into a decisive encounter. I got lucky that the Dire Avengers rolled well in the second round of fleeting, enabling them to get into position. However, I made the mistake of forcing my decisive encounter against Terminators - rolling one number out of six is a very high variance event. All bad luck aside, it taught me a valuable lesson in over-committing my forces early on.

In defense of the Vindicators: It is true they didn't do much, but that is because I feared them greatly and mapped my entire battle plan around avoiding them and destroying them early. In retrospect, I might have done better trying to out-maneuver them. From my perspective, however, they played a huge role in our match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ragewind View Post
    At that point, my Spears were still to far to assault anything except the 7 man squad, but I was worried that they wouldn't survive another round of fire (they had done well to only take 2 casualties after the first round). So the Autarch split, fired on the 7 man squad and then assaulted them, killing 5.
    Ah that makes more sense because I remembered firing but shouldn't have been able to assault afterwards. Either way, good catch. Those 2 marines sure held out for quite awhile though. I always have one tac squad that comes away with honorable mention it seems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

autarch can not move and fire reaper launcher as it is not mounted on the bike, but carried by him.

clearly the autarch and spears should be charging the termies (and wiping the floor with them), that would be far more effective than harleys charging them, so thing I would have gone with harleys as bait

But ultimatley however you slice it, he was increadibyl lucky with his saves, the amount of sirepower thrown at the termies should have had a far greater impact
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    autarch can not move and fire reaper launcher as it is not mounted on the bike, but carried by him.
    You sure about that? Because I those autarchs with reaper launchers are a huge pain in the ass and I would love it if he couldn't use them and move.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast