Campaign-style tournament (Planet of the Old Ones). - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Campaign-style tournament (Planet of the Old Ones).

I was thinking of running a doubles tournament at my favorite store some time this fall and I wanted to bounce a number of ideas off of folks.

1. I'm trying to confine the tournament to a single day of play rather than two to limit 2nd day 'no shows' and the like.

2. I would like their to be a unifying theme to the tournament and thus the missions played.

3. I would particularly like the final game in the tournament to involve ALL the players at once.

4. All teams must be groups that could potentially ally.

To answer these objectives, here is what I've come up with so far.

1. Three games only. The first two being fairly large with 3000 point combined armies.

Ie: Each of the doubles team will have 1500 points to build their list with all usual restrictions.

All games to have a three hour time limit.

1st game 100 a.m. to 10 p.m.

2nd game 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.

3rd game 50 p.m. to 80 p.m.

2. The storyline I'll keep slightly under my hat, but suffice it to say that a planet has been discovered that seems to practically unchanged from aeons ago when the Old Ones or Slann inhabited and practised their arcano-sciences.

Everyone wants a piece of the action. I will come up with a long list of why everyone wants to either control or destroy this place, but for now rest assured that everyone is interested.

In addition to this, there is some sort of warp barrier/ force field that prevents races like the Necrons from simply bombing the planet to powder from orbit. Thus they must carry out a landing and destroy the source of the field first. This field will not prevent small scale penetrations, thus things like drop pods and even the planetary bombardent of the various inquisition armies will be allowed.

To give a unifying feel to the missions, the outcome of the first mission will affect the second and the second will effect the third.

Mission #1. Planetary landing

Special rules: Deep strike, reserves

Objective: Sieze the landing zones.

Secondary Objective: Destroy enemy forces while conserving your own.

Rewards: For each landing zone siezed by the end of the game, one troop squad may be given the special rule sustained assault in the 2nd mission.

For each 300 VP of difference at the end of the battle, the kill teams in the final battle will gain 10 points of advancement/gear (I plan to have a special chart made up for this as well as cards to hand out to keep track of it all.)

Mission #2. Reconisance in force

Special rules: Infiltration

Objective: Locate and travel to the power source.

Secondary Objective: Destroy enemy forces while conserving your own.

Rewards: The team that locates and reaches the power source first will have optimal placement for the final mission.

For each 300 VP of difference at the end of the battle, the kill teams in the final battle will gain 10 points of advancement/gear (I plan to have a special chart made up for this as well as cards to hand out to keep track of it all.)

Mission #3; See below.

3. In order that everyone will get a crack a t everyone else, the final game will be somewhat different.

The third game will use a variant of the kill team rules with all teams having 360 points to build their teams (split into two 180 point groups)

Everyone will be playing at one large combined table with special terrain and quite possibly some forces and traps that will attack all invaders equally.

4. Potential allies:

I'm being EXTREMELY LENIENT here with who can ally with whom so that more people can 'team up' to join in the tournament.

For example I'm making it legal for IG to ally with Tyranids with the assumption that the IG list is in fact a genestealer cult indoctrinated guard list. Even so, there are a few races that I simply can't see allying with each other, no matter what the situation.

I'm probably going to be a bit arbitrary about this as well, as I'm allowing Deamonhunters to ally with Eldar (together they can kill more daemons for example), but not allowing Witchhunters to ally with Eldar (since the Eldar are a very psychic race.).

I'm trying to figure out whether Eldar would EVER, under any circumstances whatsoever ally with Dark Eldar. I'm guessing that only if something like a Tyranid hive fleet was about to consume them both....so no allying for them as well.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Grey; July 23rd, 2007 at 20:53.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

+ Reply to Thread