Area bonuses - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Area bonuses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Area bonuses

I'm thinking of making a small campaign where every area you conquer gives you some kind of bonus. For example, capture the old abandoned artillery to gain the ability to call in arty strikes. Or maybe getting +50 pts to your army choice.

Are there any pre-existing templates for things like this? Otherwise any ideas on possible bonuses that wouldn't completely unbalance a game are welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not read anything in the rulebook or any were else.But I do greatly like that Idea of having an unbalanced game.Currently i am looking to do the same in my own
    campaign.How would it work in the rule for everything and would it be a map based one or something diffrent?
    Ordo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

flat points bonuses are not usually very good because if you give them too much they overpower the other players but if you give them too little there's really no point to even having it. and there's no "middle ground."
    in my campaigns I usually give strategic points instead of "areas" for example in a cityfight campaign an old church with a bell tower is excellent sniping position, anyone controlling it, that also has a "sniper" weapon gains 1 shot per turn unlimited range, with the marksman special rule.
    in worldwide campaign you have to take things into account like scouts and terrain so someone who controls X country gains the knowledge databases of that country and therefore can choose the scenario for their games. (with restrictions)...
    these are small bonuses that make the players feel more in control as they could not otherwise do them. a straight points value just makes the game feel like every other game.
    in one campaign we were assigned "resources" which we used to upgrade units, giving them skills or finding tech, in that campaign we made our armylist and it didn't change from game to game, if we lost 2 models out of that scout squad then when we played the next game we still did not have them. space marines seemed to be the better armies to play in the beginning because they healed faster and were highly resistant to the planet, but they could never replenish their losses. (stranded on teh world)

but that's my opinion, and I'm spoiled on campaigns
    Dear Game Designer,
    Rock is Cheese. Paper is fine.
    Signed,
    Scissors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The campaign that we are setting up we are using a mix of point values for territories and special stratigems from the appocolyps rule book. Some of them are acttually pretty neat and are a good starting point for anything fancy you may want to do. As well the city fight rule book has lots of stuff like that in it to , however it obviously revolves around city fighting.

Im thinking as well that everyone icluding myself seem sto have a hard time starting off campaigns and creating balance within it. I think ours is almost ready to kick off so if it works out ill post what we did, what worked and what didnt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Hmm... I had the same question my self glad to stumble acrost this... I can see how adding a point value to one side over the other could easy off set things, i think the ability to choose some aspects of the scenerio seem like an exelent idea why not break all the random things down into indivigual advantages:

choose who goes first
    choose who placers there units first
    choose deployment zone
    choose game scenerio
    choose deployment type
    Re-arrange 2 pieces of terrain before unit deployment

a good way to keep these in line is to apply say only to teritory owned and its touching territories, or allow them to be attached to one specific force (Depending on there fluff justification).

like for example the re-arrange peices thing chould be like "locals give army lay of the land so they choose an optimum location for the conflict" or mabye alter the ability to allow them to place 2 creators "cunning placed artillary blasts mold the terrian in your favor" for a unit attached version.

whats do you think?
    Last edited by Carcearion; January 13th, 2009 at 23:57.
    Could you understand the beauty of the beast?

+ Reply to Thread