Open Campaign Design - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Open Campaign Design

I have been brainstorming with a friend recently about a new way we could go about holding our 40k campaigns. Currently we have been running the Kingdoms hexes and as you win, you claim territories. It starts at 750 and about halfway through we all go to 1500. There are a few other rules but otherwise play is somewhat static with the only variance being who you will play that week and on which set of terrain.

Thus, I present the prototype for the OCD to your all's experience and discerning eye. Here's how it works: 1) Place all players on a grid; 2) Randomly assign a "partner"; 3) Give each participant X points to distribute along their fronts.

____TYR_ORK_ELD_SPM_CSM_TAU
    TYR....X....TYR...650...750...600..750
    ORK..ORK...X.....800..1000..600..750
    ELD..750....0......X.....500...600...ELD
    SPM..750.1000..750.....X..SM/600.750
    CSM..750.1000..800..CSM.....X....750
    TAU..750..1000.TAU...750....600....X

Legend: Player, Enemy Front

As you can see from the picture, we have 6 players in our campaign. They obviously can't fight themselves and at least for now they don't have to worry about their "partner" attacking (save for apparently a paranoid Chaos player). So, they have four fronts that are being threatened by other players. Thus, they can spread their X points any way they choose amongst them.

It is now Month 1, Week 1 and the pairings are drawn (excluding partners). Looks like it will be Tyranids vs. Chaos, Orks vs. Eldar, and Space Marines vs. Tau. As Month 1 consists of 750 point battles it looks like SM vs. Tau is matched up just fine. However in CSM vs. Tyranids the forces of Chaos are down 150 points. What to do? Time to call in "reserves"!

To call in backup the CSM player simply pulls troops off of one of his other fronts. However in order to reach the battle in time they are under a forced march and unfortunately take casualites from fatigue, being attacked along the way, or other "fluff" reasons. Every square of movement up or down the backup moves, 10% of the units are lost (except through your own or partner's square). So to pull 150 points from his Ork front, he subtracts 165 from that square bringing the total to 435 (or 180 from Eldar, etc.). Now he can compete 750-750 with the bugs.

As for the Orks it looks like they should have cared more about the Eldar as the 25% chance it was that front that was attacked this battle. In this case where a front is completely unprotected two things can happen: 1) the player can force-march in 750 points worth of troops from other squares incurring appropriate losses, or; 2) he concedes the "official" game and whatever rewards it was to offer. This option allows him not to lose any troops and stockpile for next time. After the concession, the two can play a friendly game while the others duke it out for league status.

This brings up the final formal bit which is league scoring. Everyone replenishes X+Y units where X is a fixed number stemming from their "base" and Y is the number of objectives times some number. The majority of point regeneration should be from the base (say 2/3 or 3/4 army size rounded to the nearest 10) with the number of objectives allowing for full replenishment and/or bonuses to fill in other fronts that may have suffered losses from combat or troop movement.

This helps encourage objective games and can still encompass "kill 'em all" games as the "objective" is to kill as many other units as you can (various discrepancies in results are the awarded objective points). As you can imagine either way several objectives will switch hands every game. The strategy here is in seeing which game type is coming up and planning for it without knowing who your opponent will be. There's also strategy in replenishment placement as well as in troop movement between fronts.

This is certainly open for your all's questions or comments. I will provide more details in subsequent posts but wanted to keep the idea as concise as possible.

Human beings, while exceptional in the ability to learn from the mistakes of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sample Schedule/Point Values

X SEASON/QUARTER LEAGUE!

Month 1: Form Alliances, 750 points
    Week 1 - Pitched Battle, Annihilation
    Week 2 - Spearhead, Capture and Control
    Week 3 - Dawn of War, Seize Ground
    Week 4 - Special, Annihilation

Notes: Bases produce 500, objectives 10 each. This month's special mission will pit our fighters on battlefields rumbling to life as a premonition of the fights yet to come. Every turn players must make dangerous terrain checks on all their units as vents of thermal gasses spew from the ground, jagged rock pierces upwards, or spontaneous sinkholes can engulf a unit in seconds before collapsing back upon itself. As always with month-end combats, your partner may be drawn to fight you. Pitched Battle deployment rules are in effect.

Month 2: New Alliances, 1000 points
    Week 1 - Pitched Battle, Capture and Control
    Week 2 - Spearhead, Seize Ground
    Week 3 - Dawn of War, Annihilation
    Week 4 - Special, Capture and Control

Notes: Bases produce 750, objectives 15 each. This month's special mission will spice things up a bit. As each team presumably tries to keep control of their own bases while going for the one in the middle, a team of 5 Legion of the Damned (Space Marines) controlled by your opponent will be waiting in reserve to sneak up behind you and capture or at least threaten your objective! They will be armed with bolters, stats provided upon request. Abilities to reroll or accelerate your team of Damned cannot be used. As always with month-end combats, your partner may be drawn to fight you. Spearhead deployment rules are in effect.

Month 3: New Alliances, 1500 points
    Week 1 - Pitched Battle, Seize Ground
    Week 2 - Spearhead, Annihilation
    Week 3 - Dawn of War, Capture and Control
    Week 4 - Special, Seize Ground

Notes: Bases produce 1000, objectives 20 each. This month's special mission will bring the season to an appropriate close. It will be an all-out scramble to grab as many objectives as you can because the number you capture here will carry over into the next season! The catch is that there's a possibility each objective may be trapped! Explosions of varying strengths and ranges will be attached to certain markers. Make sure to check them when a unit comes within 2" of it... As always with month-end combats, your partner may be drawn to fight you. Dawn of War deployment rules are in effect.

- - - - - - - - - -

By doing it this way your league players in OCD will be able to see what they are getting into. The only variable will be who their opponent is. By diversifying battles this way, too, it will force them to get out of their comfort zone, read the rules, and otherwise prepare for army styles they've never encountered.
    Human beings, while exceptional in the ability to learn from the mistakes of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sample Rules, Abridged

1. Assign players to a matrix then randomly select partners. If there is an odd number of players, award the odd one a number of points equal to the max army value. Each player then begins with 30 objectives.

2. Players secretly assign their army numbers to each front. Once they have been collected, the information is publicly documented and combat may begin following all rules for emergency reserves if necessary.

3. Dock the number of points killed from each player after battle and reassign objectives as necessary. After that, players may place regenerated points of any combination in up to two fronts and move any number of points from one front to another without penalty. The player with the most objectives places his points on the board first and so on so that those not in the lead may react accordingly.

4. Players may then offer friendly reinforcements/troop loans. Troop loans may only be made between games. Partners may offer up to half (rounded up to the nearest 10) of the month's cap in troop at no penalization to the receiving player. Others may offer up to a quarter (rounded the same) of the total using the 10%/square rule as soldiers might not have received the temporary ceasefire or otherwise this aid came so unexpectedly it threw things into a bit of a disarray.

5. Begin combat as usual, following rules for emergency reserves if necessary...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll guess that so far the idea seems logical or stable with those who have read it. I hate to bump my own thread but I'll do so in this instance to see if any others have tried campaigns this way and what their experiences with it are. Or perhaps questions into the stability of the system or pros/cons as how it is run over other ways (such as the hex grid we are using now).

The goal of the OCD was to allow a simple system to exist while servicing advanced battle formats and encourage strategy and the possibility of relying on a partner in certain situations. I'm hoping to get this system installed and for our current league to switch over to it some time in the coming months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet! You put up a nice system indeed. Rep for you! Because I can...

It happens to be, that I'm working on a campaign myself. I've never done that before so I think it's kind of hard. The set-up I'm currently developing is about this, 2 storylines where the first 2 rounds of battle are somewhat fixed (depending on winning or losing). After that, I've introduced every force (we are with 4 players) and I was trying to put up a system where the next 2 rounds of battle would be a random opponent. Eventually, my idea was to (based on wins and losses of previous battles) to form alliances and let the campaign end with a bang! 2 vs 2 (3000 pts. a side) battle.

I haven't thought about allocating points to individual victories or objectives, so I thank you a lot for this post, cause it gives me some handle to work with.

Maybe I'll implement (some of) your system to be able to organize random oppononet battles.
    Thanks a lot!

Cheers!

Frank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck to your campaign. Making a story-based one can be fun and challenging! If you use any aspects of the OCD please let me know how they performed for you. Even though your group is four players, I'm sure you all can and will have a lot of fun. By mixing up the deployment style, goals, and even by creating custom rules, you can really have endless amounts of fun with "the same old armies".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another type of campaign

Your campaign is pretty nice, great for leaguee play. The campaign that I just put together and am about to start playing goes like this; It's a story line campaign between CSM, Dark Eldar, and Tau.

Everything is base on a node campaign with some variants.

Attack and Army movement table
    Battle Attacker Pts Defender pts
    1st # battles x100 # battles x 150
    2nd # battles x150 # battles x 175
    3rrd # battles x200 # battles x200
    4th # battles x200 # battles x200
    5th # battles x200 # battles x200
    6th # battles x200 # battles x200
    7th # battles x200 # battles x200

Additional rules: on battle 4, each army gets 50 extra points per battle won in the node so far. On battle 5, each army gets 75 extra pts per battle won in the node so far. Battle 6 gets 100 pts. However on # 7 each army loses 100 points per battle lost.

Each node is either 1, 3, 5 or 7 battles. Nodes that are a singlee battle though are fought at 500 pts.

If a army has won the majority of the battles in the node, they win that territory. They can then advance into the next territory node. If the opposing army does not wish to contest the node (due to amount of points forced to use), the may withdraw 1 node and let the invading army have it. However this can only be done once per front. ( see picture attached)

With each army starting with 20k pts, they will have to figure out how best to win and where.

Also the GM of the campaign can make special modifications or rules, so long as it is woven properly into the story line.
    Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So once a player runs out of points for their army, that army is out of thee campaign, as they have all been hunted down and slaughtered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting map you made. I'm sure a story that is told between those three races will be filled with plenty of mystery and deception, haha! If you ever incorporate the "mapless" grid feature of the OCD please let me know how it turns out. So far here the idea has gone over well as it uses the concept of territory aquisition but the map is more of a nebulous affair that doens't really exist in a physical form. This way new players can come and go and major map changes don't have to be made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure Matt, it sounds great, i just have 1 question; what is thee OCD and where can it be found?

The campaign I designed was for a conflict over the space of 1 solar system, with a total of 7 conquerable planets and moons. The reason I designed it this way was because this is only the second campaign that I have run, and I only had a few friends that could play consistently.

But I am always up suggestions to help streamline the process and brfing more players in. I like your idea though. It takes some great elements from RISK the capital version. Or LOTR Risk trilogy edition where the capitals produce troops at the start of your turn.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast