Capaign without all players - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Capaign without all players

Im wanting to start a combat patrol campaign, but need some help with something.

I made up a map consisting of 33 territories, and each one will give a small bonus.

But the problem is, not all of the players will make it each session, and im not sure how to design a map campaign that doesnt need all players there every session taking map-turns.

Any ideas?
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, to be honest I cant see that there is a way.

You could make players that do not show up "neutral" as in that you cannot attack their territory. But if they miss more than two sessions then they will be lagging behind in bonuses gained from territories, and thus may not be able to compete.

The above could be solved by giving the missing player X amount of territories, but this would be like rewarding that player for not showing up..

hmm, quite the pickle this.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Either that, or what about only owning one terriotory, and just moving around the map? But that kinda takes the fun out of it a little. And there cant really be a limit on how many territories you can move either, but there has to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone?

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I wrote a campaign once that covered just such an occasion. However, first let me say that it is far more enjoyable to play with a group that will have 99% attendance. There have been 2 methods that have proven effective for me:

1) buddy system. Players either form alliances, or just play as a team. This cuts "missing persons" in half, since chances are good that atleast ONE team mate will arrive as scheduled.

2) it's been mentioned that missing players lag behind in bonuses. It takes a small amount of though, but it is possible to write out the bonuses to have specified points value. Something like "mine- you may add 1 warmachine worth up to 100pts". Whenever a battle is fought, players may choose a set number of bonuses that they want to include, up to a total number of points. This will keep players who are winning by a landslide, from steamrolling in the second half of the game, and also keep missing persons from becoming too handicapped.
    It also helps to limit the number of times you may attack a person. This is good for everyone, so that there can't be 1 player "brute forcing" his way through another player's territory in a single turn. Say, 1 or 2 times per player, and then absent player's armies are expected to withdraw without a fight (hey- the general's not here, fall back and wait for orders). This is a punishment for players, as they might lose valued territories, but it is not so harsh that they might lose immediately.

Also- i wouldn't have EVERY tile confer a bonus. Even with 100% attendance. If every tile is a bonus, you will find wily players who dodge battles forEVER until they can get enough bonuses to steamroll the enemy. I play this way when people do it, and trust me- it's not fair at all. I once had 2Kpts over my opponent, and it was the first battle I'd fought all campaign.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a suggestion, that might work for you.

1) Teams are a good source to boost attendance, however is the campaign is not really set up for teamwork overly much it probably wont work. What you can do is whoever is GM or hosting the campiagn can just get creative and come up with something that blocks those territories ( Terrential storms of some kind, electromagnetic storms making invading with any kind of decent war force impossible). Give the player 2 weeks to show if they don't, them come up with a rule saying that the army overextended itself and fell back to their previous positions. Freeing up the territories that they last conquered for the other players. It also keeps that player from losing playing points.

2) for each territory have tokens that are earnable for winning the territory. They can be extra points to be used at any time for any battle, to give extra force organizational slots, to allow one army the ability to enact a special rule, so on and so forth. You can make the tokens yourself, or just use poker chips.

And lets say someone is bad on attendance and their forces withdraw back to a previous position leaving an open area. You can choose to have the 2 nearest armies battle it out for rights to it and its bonus.

Hope this can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately this is a problem that persists in most players' campaigns. If you would like to test a "mapless" system that still has a "map" and that can accomodate absent players, I'll ask you review my Open Campaign Design!

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...gn-design.html (Open Campaign Design)

If you have any questions on it or if I can help taylor it especially for your group, let me know! Hopefully this system can work for you.
    Human beings, while exceptional in the ability to learn from the mistakes of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Alternatively, you could allow a build-up move in that every round a player doesn't attack, she gets to go an additional attack the next time she attacks, but the first time you lose, all your extra movements are removed.

For example, Stevie waits 3 turns. On turn 4, he can attack four times (3 waiting + 1 for this turn). However, on Stevie's third attack, Cheater the SMurf player successfully defends himself, removing Stevie's last attack option.
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attendance Woes

Poor attendance is one of the myriad of difficulties a GM/host has to deal with in a campaign. I would almost say that is the most frustrating because of all the hard work we put into making the game engaging and fun. One solution we have found is a Money Pot. At the very beginning the players must register their army lists and pay a buy-in. Usually this is only five or ten dollars, but when you get six or eight players in a campaign, that can be a nice chunk of change. We've found that general attendance goes up when the players have something tangible to show up for.

We try to work around players' schedules and of course we know that crap happens...but after about two weeks of just not showing up, the player's got to start hurting.

I really like the ideas of in-game bonuses. We like to use two types: Strategic and Tactical. Strategic bonuses effect the player's map-based turns while tactical bonuses (such as a player being allowed to field an extra 100pt vehicle or squad, chose an extra Strategic Asset, etc.) Dawn of War: Dark Crusade has proved to be a great inspiration for stuff like this.

+ Reply to Thread