Battle for Duglum XIII v2(DIY Campaign) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Bavaria, Germany
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

531 (x8)

Battle for Duglum XIII v2(DIY Campaign)

Hello, fellow wargamers all around the world, this is Red Archer speaking again. The campaign I had devised for my gaming group -the Battle for Duglum XIII- has been a great success. And yet, after almost half a year, it is time for a change: my experience has grown, the battle on the campaign map was drawing to an end, and we need fresh wind.

It is thus that I have devised yet another campaign system for my gaming group to indulge in. It is similar to the first version of the Battle for Duglum XIII, and yet the system of sector play has been entirely revamped. It is now more decisive, more lethal, and a lot swifter. This should ensure that important positions are indeed subject to heavy battles, instead of the rather slow territory tile collecting of version one.
    We have chosen to continue the use of the TACOPTs system, though I will present an updated version of it including some TACOPTs invented or at least inspired by other members of LO. On top of that I shall present a scenario that poses an interesting diversion from the standard missions while not being overly complicated or special.

When I introduce you to the rules of sector play, you will notice that the first thing I do is define some important terms that are required to understand the rules. This is done throughout the Campaign Map and Basic Concept sections. The System section then explains the mechanics of Sector Play and how it is worked out. The Rules section lastly shows how some of the systems variables are defined for my gaming group.
    I have chosen this attempt in order to make the rules set a transparent and, and one that can easily be adapted. Simply by making slight changes to the Campaign Map section and defining the variables of the system however it suits your purposes in the Rules section you can adopt the system for your very own campaign. Include your own campaign map with your own number of sectors and your own network of routes, with your own bonus sectors and your own sector bonuses, a phase length that suits your gaming group's needs and your own number of orders as to control the pace and flow of Sector Play.

The campaign map shows the continent of Fervolar on Duglum XIII. It is used to illustrate Sector Play and represents the progress of the war waged by the various factions in the Duglum system.
    Sectors: Fervolar is divided into twenty-five numerically named positions of major strategical importance designated as sectors.
    Routes: Sectors are connected among each other by the lines displayed on the campaign map. These lines are designated as routes.
    Adjacent Sectors: Sectors which share a route are designated as being adjacent.

Players own sectors and strive to retain them as well as acquire additional ones.
    Phases: Sector Play is conducted in a time scale designated as phases. Players will have the opportunity to engage in Sector Play once per phase in an attempt to influence the course of battle and force changes on the campaign map.
    Orders: Players engage in Sector Play by declaring actions, designated as orders.
    Owning Sectors: If a sector has been occupied by a faction it is designated as being owned by the player controlling the faction.
    Defense Level: A sector owned by a player has a defined magnitude of defensive power, designated as its defense level, ranging from 1 to 5. Sectors not owned by any player are considered to be of defense level 0.

Issuing: Orders are issued at any time throughout the campaign phase. They are all worked out simultaneously at the end of the phase. Defend orders take effect before attacks are conducted. The results of successful attacks are applied before those of unsuccessful ones.
    Defend: A sector's defense level can be raised by the owning player issuing an order designated as defend. Issuing the order raises the defended sector's defense level by one to a maximum of 5.
    Attack: A player may attempt to seize a sector owned by another player in order to own it himself instead. This is done by issuing an order designated as attack. An attack may only be conducted along routes. Thus a player is required to own a sector adjacent to the one he intends to attack from whence the attack can originate. Players who do not own a single sector at all may disregard this restriction, their attacks affect the target sector directly without being conducted along a route. A player may attack any sector only once per phase.
    An attack is successful if the attacking player rolls a number greater than the target sector's defense level on a D6. A successful attack causes a sector to cease being owned by the attacked player and instead be owned by the attacking player at a defense level of 2. An unsuccessful attack lowers the attacked sectors defense level by one to a minimum of 1.
    If attacks are issued in both directions along a single route simultaneously, players must subtract 1 plus the the number of points by which the target sector's defense level beats that of the original sector (if higher) from their dice rolls. If two or more players succeed with their attacks on the same target sector simultaneously, the player that beat the defense level of the target sector on his roll by the most points is considered as the single successful attacker, the remaining attacks count as unsuccessful. If two or more players are tied for the best attack, the sector loses its affiliation and no longer counts as owned by any player, reduced to defense level 0.
    Extra Orders: A player gains a free additional order, designated as extra order, for every victory scored in games throughout the current phase. Extra orders must be issued as attacks on sectors held by that player who the victory earning the extra order was scored against.
    Sector Bonuses: Some sectors convey special bonuses. A player owning a sector that conveys a sector bonus can only profit from this bonus while he can maintain a defense level in that sector of at least 3.

Phase Length: A phase starts Monday night at 10.00 p.m. and ends the following Monday night when the next phase begins.
    Number of Orders: Each player is granted one order base per phase. Each player who owns at least one sector is granted a second order per phase. Additional orders can be gained as outlined above.
    Bonus Sectors: Sectors 2 and 13 grant the owning player one Bombardment TACOPT for free in every game. Sectors 8 and 15 grant the owning player one Superiority TACOPT for free in every game. Sectors 5 and 24 grant the owning player one Vetern TACOPT for free in every game. Sector 21 grants the owning player the ability to conduct his attacks as if he did not own any sector at all (though retaining his second attack from owning at least one sector), thus striking at the target sectors directly and not conducting his attacks along a route. Sector 11 can function in any one of the ways of the other bonus sectors per phase, the player decides which bonus he is using at the start of each phase.

This is the campaign map (follow the link manually in case the picture won't show) as it is used by my gaming group:

Quote Originally Posted by Red Archer's Elaborate Example
    Imagine this as the current campaign map, with the factions blue, green, red, and gold owning the sectors with their dots next to them, the number of dots indicating the current defense levels:

The bonuses of sectors 5, 8, and 13 could not have been used in the current campaign phase, as the respective sectors do not maintain the minimum defense level required to use a sector bonus.

Green has won a game against gold, blue against red, and gold against blue in the current campaign phase and are thus granted an extra order. At the end of the phase on Monday night, the campaign master has received the following orders to be worked out (sector numbers in brackets indicate the origin of attacks):
    Green: Attack 10 [14], Attack 15 [14], Attack 16 [17]
    Gold: Attack 8 [4], Attack 15 [10], Defend 10
    Blue: Attack 11 [8] Defend 20, Defend 20
    Red: Attack Attack 8 [11], Defend 9

Defend orders are carried out first, thus the defense level of sector 10 rises from II to III, that of sector 20 from I to III, that of sector 9 from I to II.

Then attacks are worked out.
    Sector 10 with a former defense level of II but a current defense level of III because the defend order has already taken effect before the attack is conducted is attacked by green. A 5 is rolled on the D6, indicating a successful attack. Green now owns sector 10 at a defense level of II. (This happens without interference from gold's attack on sector 15 originating in sector 14, because it is conducted along a different route.)
    Sector 16 with a defense level of III is attacked by green, rolling a 3 and thus failing, reducing the defense level to II.
    Sector 15 with a defense level of I is attacked by both green and gold along different routes. Green rolls a 3 (beating the defense level by 2), gold rolls a 6 (beating the defense level by 5), thus gold now owns the sector at a defense level of II, but since his successful attack is applied before green's unsuccessful one, the defense level is then reduced to I.
    Sector 11 with a defense level of IV is attacked by blue, but red is attacking in the opposite direction along the same route. Blue rolls a 5 but must subtract 1 plus the difference in defense levels (II versus IV, resulting in a difference of 2), resulting in a 2 and a failed attack, reducing the defense level to III.
    Sector 8 (with a defense level of II) is attacked by both gold and red, but simultaneously blue is attacking in the opposite direction along the same route as red. Red thus has to subtract 1 from his dice roll plus any points by which the target sector's defense level is higher than the originating sector's (which is not the case). Gold rolls a 4 (indicating a successful attack), red rolls a 5 which is reduced to 4 due to the opposing attack (but still indicating a successful attack). Since none of the attackers had a more successful attack than the other, they have tied and their attacks are both considered unsuccessful. Thus the sector loses its afficial and no longer counts as owned by any of the players. Would the attacks both have been unsuccessful, each would have reduced the target sector's defense level by 1, but since it is only at II and can not be reduced to below I, the effect of one of the unsuccessful attacks would have been lost.

Any questions or suggestions?

Let me also present to you the updated, most current version of the TACOPTs system (Tactical Options (TACOPTs) System).

And let me present to you the scenario I devised, "Valkyrie down" (Scenario: Valkyrie Down!).

Last edited by Red Archer; February 9th, 2010 at 13:53.

+ Reply to Thread