A Cool Campaign System - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

A Cool Campaign System

Well I've been participating in a campaign at my local gaming club for a while now and thought I'd post it here. Its pretty simple and works well so if you want to copy it go ahead. I guess a lot of you have already done this kind of campaign before.

We each started with 750 points (you could start with more), a HQ slot and 2 troops slots. We then rolled 3 territories each to start with and chose 2 of them to keep. For example I rolled a freeway, a drag strip and a training grounds at the beginning and chose to leave behind the drag strip. So I had 800 points and a HQ, an Elite and 2 Troops to make an army list out of. You are also limited to 100 points of wargear in your army (or was that higher?)

When rolling on the table just roll a d12 if you have one. If not roll a d6. If its 1-3 then you are using the 1-6 range. If you roll a 4-6 then you are using the 7-12 range. get it? For example if I roll a d6 and get a '5'. Then I roll another d6 and get a '4'. The 5 means I'm looking at the 7-12 range. A 4 on the second dice means I've got a freeway.

Each battle you each risk one territory (you and your opponent). The winner gets to choose which territory they want to keep and the loser gets stuck with the one the winner didn't want.
    In addition the winner may roll on the table to get another territory.

If your opponent has 4 or more territories than you, you get a free territory. So if you beat the big opponent you get to choose which of the 2 territories put up for winning you want and your opponent gets the other one. You then get to roll for a territory for winning the battle. You also get to roll for a territory for versing someone with 4 or more territories than you. If you lose to that opponent then he/she gets to choose out of the 2 risked territories, he/she gets to roll an extra territory for winning and you get to roll one just for versing someone with so many territories.

Campaign armies aren't set in stone between each battle and you can change army lists. It's generally more fluffy to stay with a similar list though to make it seem like a continuing war.

If you've got any questions just post them here. (This should also flush out anyone from my gaming club that visits these forums :shifty: ).

Machinery shop - One extra Heavy Support slot available
    Camp site - One extra Troop slot available
    Training grounds - One extra Elites slot available
    Drag strip - One extra Fast slot available
    Holy site - One extra HQ slot available
    Drop site 100pts extra army limit
    Freeway - 50pts extra army limit
    Weapons Cache - 100pts extra Wargear (does not add to Army limit)

D12
    2 Weapons Cache
    3 Drop site
    4 Freeway
    5 Holy site
    6 Freeway
    7 Drag strip
    8 Freeway
    9 Training grounds
    10 Freeway
    11 Camp site
    12 Machinery shop

Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had to laugh when I read "drag strip." I have this image of orks drag racing each other, ignoring incoming Imperial troops. "Oi, Zaggnutz, dem 'oomies iz comin'!" "Nar, Flashgob, jus' 'un more go at it! 'Ere we go! 'Ere we go!"

As far as wagering territories...do they have to be at least adjacent to each other? It seems odd (at least continuity wise) to wager territories that are thousands of kilometers apart from each other. Or is there no campaign map as such, and thus 'where' the territories are doesn't matter.

And did you allow territories to help decide terrain for the battle? For example, a holy site could have a chapel or cathedral, machine shop could have some kind of vehicle depot...drag strip could have a race track...

Very interesting set up. My friends and I have been tossing around rather nebulous ideas about campaigns (we'd like to see more strategy involved then one usually finds. For example, our megabattles haven't seen a lot of 'board wide' strategy, more like tons of 1 vs 1 battles that really aren't connected). Good post.
    "Wife! You are abusing that Leman Russ model!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

No there is no map. If there were it would have an abundance of freeways on it. So any territory can always be fought up as you aren't fighting over borders.

It's always up to the players to decide how the terrain goes. We never really paid attention to it
    but I guess it's a good idea. A big road in the middle for a freeway etc.

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Interesting concept, I might have to do something similar. Any suggestions on how a Tyranid army falls into basic rules?

What caught my eye was:
    Weapons Cache - 100pts extra Wargear (does not add to Army limit)

Tyranids don't have Wargear per-say, would this translate into the amount of points allowed to spend on biomorphs? Hmm..still not sure how that would work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

228 (x8)

Races without an armoury just ignore it (not sure whether you reroll it or get a useless territory).

A few territories are useless, 2nd HQ for guard for example.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

i like this. I think it would be good to incorperate it into a map based system.

I prevents the uber powerful army from forming and destroying the world by provinding the limits.

and it allows for territories to "develop" durning war times. makes sence. Im going to spend all day working on this. Since i have no classes today. Whoo hoo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you started with "750 points, a HQ slot and 2 troops slots". Does this mean 750 points just for the HQ and 2 troops. Or You must have HQ and 2 troops, use the rest of the points on anywhere else on the standard FOC.

If the latter is the case with places such as the "Machinery Shop" does that raise your potential Heavy Supports to 4 instead of 3?
    Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
    Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore
    While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
    "'Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door-
    Only this, and nothing more."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warhammer 40,000 - Gaming

40k in a Flash. Same principle concept, except GW's take on it. I meshed this campaign system with a hex map and it works awsome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am working on a campaign that is some what similair. I got the ideas from the game dark crusade as each side has territories it controls plus bonuses it gets from controls different territories. We also work it out that every player must choose where they are going to attack. Everyone writes it down and then we see what everyone decided to do. That way no one is reacting to what another player is doing since in real life they would probably have limited intel.
    "Ah, but the truth is like an expensive whore, Jerek. She comes in many dresses and will bend over for any with the money to pamper her." ~ Konrad von Carstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

255 (x6)

Pretty nifty idea, I'll make some hexes later and try it out with a map. Hmm, maybe there need to be more types of terrain like fantasy?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast