Map-Based Campaign, need some advice. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x2)

Map-Based Campaign, need some advice.

Me and my friend decided to try our hand at a map-based campaign, because the store one's suck and we want something more involving and different to keep us in 40K longer this time. He reently bought the Cities of Death book and we are focusing on a city fight theme, either on a system we make up (Or if we are lazy) The Medusa system. I have the jist of how to go about doing a map-based system, though I want to know how to make it work more smoothly to keep people interested and excited. We are doing a master list, with which you pick your units out of before the battle begins. This is for two reasons. 1: It takes forever to write a list up, thus wasting playing time and 2: helps keep a balanced list, where you can't focus on one enemy type without being creamed by another. Here's a list of the races involved so far, and possible's as well.

Chaos SM's (Me, after a few Eldar players popped up I decided to go back to my first army and relearn them. I'm deciding between Death Guard or Black Legion, probably the first).

IG: Vostroyans (Friends army, has a lot of artillery and Leman Russ's).

Highly Possible's:

Tau Army (A friend of our's, he's always game).

Wildcard army (One of those kids that has a new army everytime you see him, I think he is doing Eldar next, if not, Daemonhunters).

Sm kid (I'm sure he'll join, and it'd be fun to beat on him).

Possible's:

Dark Eldar force (Has a lot, but only shows on certain days if he comes).

Deathwing army (Son of Dark Eldar dude, same problem).

Other than that there are maybe's and the like. I'm sure we can get a stable four or six man campaign going though. I'm encouraging people to give their characters and armies names, maybe form a rivalry with another army, and a reason why they are here as well. I plan to try and do Grudge matches as well as alliances (Nothing stupid, like Daemonhunters and Chaos, but one's that make sense). Advice on how to make it easier and interesting would be helpful, I plan to do games of Kill Teams and assassinations mixed in with the regular one's, to add more depth and to do something different and fun. Maybe even some games of Battlefleet Gothic, if people would buy some. Any help at all will be welcomed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What help are you looking for? Background story help I presume?

-Felix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps have 'large scale' objectives that have direct influence on the campaign itself. For example, a loooooong time ago, Andy Chambers and company posted a write up on a campaign some of the GW staff were playing amongst themselves. One objective was a planetary defense laser silo, which could be used to target enemy reinforcements coming from orbit (subtract a certain amount of points available to a particular enemy for a particular battle or some such).

In your campaign, perhaps you could have some of the same. Maybe some critical bridges that can be seized, held, or even blown (some very interesting games of Kill-Team could come from this last option as commando types attempt to plant charges on the bridges support pylons whilst goon patrols sweep the area, etc). Perhaps there could be air fields/landing platforms/fuel depots/etc that could give certain bonuses to players when held in their possesion.

Not only can these add interesting technical aspects to the game (Perhaps you could call upon a Hell Razor for a strafing run during a game if you hold an air field, for example) it also makes the narrative of the campaign more exciting. "Army A attacks Army B through Map Grid AA-24" is not nearly as interesting as "Doomfists Chaos renegades have seized the Odingrad bridge from the Kavaar 234th PDF; Doomfists reinforcements can now flood across the River Odingrad."

Also...and this may be a bit too ambitious...if any of you play AI, you could have games representing the 'air war' to establish air superiority, or launch air strikes on critical targets, etc, that could directly affect the WH40K table top game. Eh. Anyway, s'all stuff my friends and I are looking to try once WH40K goes on the upswing at our hobby store again.
    "Wife! You are abusing that Leman Russ model!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x2)

Thanks Chaplain, that should make things interesting. From a story perspective I got that covered, it's set during the Eye of Terror, and the forces of Disorder are trying to pin the Medusa System in, so reinforcements and critical supplies won't be shipped out. It'll help with both army fluff and let newer players experience the EoT and the Cities of Death rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I advise against using Kill Team rules because the kill team always wins. Making a map in paint or photoshop would be pretty cool and really add to the campagin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyseer View Post
    I advise against using Kill Team rules because the kill team always wins. Making a map in paint or photoshop would be pretty cool and really add to the campagin.
    I have to disagree with your kill-team statement. I suppose it depends on what race you're playing as well but my ork brutes won out in two seperate games yesterday and I have a horrid memory of the amount of punishment my kill-teams have suffered to date.

So while the kill-team has an advantage, it's victory is far from assured.

As for making a map based campaign, I'm in the process of working on one as well, using the streets of Vogen map from GW (mostly because we're too lazy to make our own for our first campaign). If You look into it however it can give you some pretty good ideas on how to run a map based campaign.
    Last edited by Morkai; July 31st, 2007 at 16:04.
    Gargrimz Green Deff
    W:10 D:4 L:5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stunted_Merc View Post
    We are doing a master list, with which you pick your units out of before the battle begins. This is for two reasons. 1: It takes forever to write a list up, thus wasting playing time and 2: helps keep a balanced list, where you can't focus on one enemy type without being creamed by another.
    A master list is a good idea; my gaming group suffers a bit from having to make army lists at every session. Please consider creating index cards with the statistics and the points cost for each unit in your army. I've been using these index cards for the last six or so games, and it's made my army creation quite a bit easier.
    Strange things lurk in the deep places of the world. - Check out my Blog

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

I'd advise using degrading list- you start with very large list(something like 20k and divide into parts, one for each border point, then you get to fight with only small part of it, and for every model lost in game, you post game roll: 1-3 wound lost(for multiple wound model) or dead(single wound model) and you get like 500 point every turn- you need to make an army on every border point so if you get too big, you get too thin-out), it favors naming, as you say "bob has survived 3 battles after going unconscious".

jboweruk

Try tailoring the old style Mighty Empires rules to a 40k setting? They were pretty cool and somewhere on the web somebody's done them for a galactic scale campaign.

Hope this is allowed, if not please let me know, but here it is:

Galactic Conquest V1.0

+ Reply to Thread