Need opinions & advice on new campaign - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need opinions & advice on new campaign

So I play 40k and BFG casually with four other guys. I am creating a map campaign to add some flavor to the games. We play once a week or every two weeks, so this will take a long time to wrap up. It is a space map so half of the games will be BFG and the other half 40k. I need to know if my ideas will work. So here goes:
    1. Grid based map, each turn player adds a token to an adjacent square. If occupied then a battle ensues.
    2. Some squares have predefined missions with rewards. Other players or the judge, me, play the opposing force.
    3. Each player can make a max of four lists to use. Each list has a 1500 and 750 version. They also get a kill team, a 1500 and 1000 BFG list.
    4. I am thinking of having four convoy ships in each BFG army that represent army lists. If one gets destroyed, then you lose a list at random. Too harsh or bad idea?
    5. There is an honors system, straight out of the book with six new honors added to the original six.
    6. The reward system bends the rules a bit. For example one mission you defeat necrons and gain four immortals that you can use in any list ignoring point caps. They last until defeated. So if one dies in a game you can use the other three in the next game. Another reward is a card that can be played once to give you 100 extra points in a game. I kinda ripped this off from Dawn of War.
    7. I have a few predefined battles that are almost impossible to beat without using some rewards. I will have a warning on these squares so it isnít a surprise or waste of a turn.
    8. I am thinking of most battles being in the 750 range just so we can play two or three per night.

My issues are:
    Are the lists a good idea?
    How do I avoid repetition? Say A attacks B and wins, B attacks A and wins, repeat, repeat. I donít want a constant battle over one square, could get real old real quick.
    Is my reward system going to skew pvp battles too much? Or will it just be a strategy option?

This is my first time running a campaign, so any input is welcome! Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by jiggahertz View Post
    So I play 40k and BFG casually with four other guys. I am creating a map campaign to add some flavor to the games. We play once a week or every two weeks, so this will take a long time to wrap up. It is a space map so half of the games will be BFG and the other half 40k. I need to know if my ideas will work. So here goes:
    How are you planning on it working between space and land? Are some battles specifically BFG with the rest as 40k or what? If battles are multipart (each square is fleet and ground action) how will you handle it if someone wins space but loses ground?
    1. Grid based map, each turn player adds a token to an adjacent square. If occupied then a battle ensues.
    Fair enough. Are you going to have "neutral" factions like pirates or anything or will it just be munching up all the realestate until they meet?
    2. Some squares have predefined missions with rewards. Other players or the judge, me, play the opposing force.
    Fair enough. Just make sure to balance the rewards. You may also want to limit things like ordanance, elite troops (no max terminators) or even HQs and the missions release those restrictions.
    3. Each player can make a max of four lists to use. Each list has a 1500 and 750 version. They also get a kill team, a 1500 and 1000 BFG list.
    Perhaps you could have them use four fleets as well as four lists--each fleet representing each of the lists. You could also give them say, 300 extra points of stuff that they could modify their lists with (replace predators for devastators, for example, if they were so inclined). This way you can fight quicker and have a lot of battles going on on multiple fronts.
    4. I am thinking of having four convoy ships in each BFG army that represent army lists. If one gets destroyed, then you lose a list at random. Too harsh or bad idea?
    Might make too much confusion. Besides, most people would keep their convoys with their ships.
    5. There is an honors system, straight out of the book with six new honors added to the original six.
    Nifty
    6. The reward system bends the rules a bit. For example one mission you defeat necrons and gain four immortals that you can use in any list ignoring point caps. They last until defeated. So if one dies in a game you can use the other three in the next game. Another reward is a card that can be played once to give you 100 extra points in a game. I kinda ripped this off from Dawn of War.
    People getting rewards from different races is a bit iffy... For the imperial side, it could be easier (say Space Marines defeat some IG and discover that not all parts of the regiment joined with the main on so Space Marines get access to some IG choices). You may want to use more tangible and less story-breaking rewards like an extra heavy support slot or a squad or two gets to ignore the heavy weapon restriction (up to a point).
    7. I have a few predefined battles that are almost impossible to beat without using some rewards. I will have a warning on these squares so it isnít a surprise or waste of a turn.
    Perhaps you should introduce some surprises. Maybe Dark Eldar pirates or something.
    8. I am thinking of most battles being in the 750 range just so we can play two or three per night.
    Two to three per player? Hope you have a big map!

My issues are:
    Are the lists a good idea?
    How do I avoid repetition? Say A attacks B and wins, B attacks A and wins, repeat, repeat. I donít want a constant battle over one square, could get real old real quick.
    Is my reward system going to skew pvp battles too much? Or will it just be a strategy option?

This is my first time running a campaign, so any input is welcome! Thanks.
    For the repitition, one system I played was that if you lost or drawed your former battle, you lost d6x25 points of stuff after deploying (you could pluck out individual models and get below the limit on squads). This represented your forces having to retreat and not able to flush the ranks out before they were assaulted again. It also encourages players to be more aggressive in their play (if you draw, you both lose the d6x25 points and if you lose, you lose that much anyway--but if you win, you don't).

Keep in mind that the low points limit means that some interesting combos can be included (terminators and a landraider could be used in a list, I think). You may wish to introduce some hard restrictions like forcing players to have an extra troop choice for each heavy support and having more troop choices than elites taken, and so on.

What armies will the players be fielding? You may have a problem with "allying" (two players agreeing to bash a third but still fighting each other a little) between similar factions (space marines and imperial guard, daemonhunters and witch hunters, Alpha Legion and LatD, etc).
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Squares are specifically designated either land or space, there is no mixing, whatever the square designation that is the type of battles that will be fought there.

There will be neutral factions, well enemy factions. The squares that have my special missions will be many different species, to make things different. There will be Tau, Necron, Nids, Orcs, Eldar, IG maybe some sisters and dark angels.

Rewards will be balanced on three difficulty levels. The more difficult the scenario, the better the reward.

The idea with four lists was to have specialized teams. One General purpose, one Tank Killer, one infantry killer/template, one scout or fast team, etc. They can specialize them any way they want but none of them know any of the special mission details. Adds some suspense. They get to know who they are fighting and what type of mission, that is it.

Yup, I dumped the convoy idea. Too much to worry about.

I was thinking stories like, you find a mental harness in a lab that controls four genestealers, or there is a group of IG that wishes to join up with you now that their rebel captors have perished. Things like that. It bends the rules a lot but man it would be fun to have some genestealers in a tau army! Or necrons in a Tyranid army. It's wacky I know, but it's all for fun.

I have a couple missions where Tyranid ships teleport in and attack the fleet. I need to read up on pirates and maybe add some in.

There will probably be three players in the campaign. One is Tau, one is Ultramarines and not sure what the third is going with. He usually plays space wolves or IG, but I might try to get him to do necrons, chaos or eldar. I do worry about two ganging up on one, but I think they will be going after the rewards mostly.

Any ideas on using a resource system? What I mean is gaining something for holding certain squares and for the quantity of squares. I can't seem to think of anything that looks like it will work.

+ Reply to Thread