Proving Ground: Semi-Finals (Imperial Guard vs. Chaos) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

Proving Ground: Semi-Finals (Imperial Guard vs. Chaos)

Welcome ladies and gentlemen, after a terribly long delay (my sincerest apologies) to the semi-finals! Congrats to those who've made it this far - may the best generals win!!!!

The Semi-Finals for this votewar will be Gamma level Cleanse missions! Will the ancient traitors have their revenge upon humanity? Or will the Emperor's forces prevail over the dark forces that assail them? You decide!!!!

List 18 - Chaos

Daemon Prince:
    - Icon of Nurgle
    - Warp Time
    - Wings

Terminators [x6]:- Icon of Nurgle
    - Combi-Plasma (x5)
    - Heavy Flamer & Chainfist

Plague Marines [x9]:- Plasmaguns [x2]
    - Aspiring Champion w/Powerfist and Personal Icon
    - Rhino

Plague Marines [x9]:- Plasmaguns [x2]
    - Rhino

Plague Marines [x9]:- Meltaguns [x2]
    - Rhino

Predator:- Autocannon
    - Lascannon Sponsons

Predator:- Autocannons
    - Lascannon Sponsons

Predator:- Autocannon
    - Heavy Bolter Sponsons
    - Havoc Launcher

Basically what my play style and how of course the army is designed is a significantly strong assault and withstand force used to capture objectives and contest table quarters. and just generally annoy the enemy army. The Rhino’s lead assault with DP and Predator support fire has always been my main tactic. The DP is my scare unit and will be used to contest table quarters. Terminators pop down from orbit when and were there needed. The Terminators are my punch and will be dropped where ever theres a threat. So my playstyle is Mechanized objective based combat.

VS.

LIST 11 - Imperial Guard“VICTORY FLANK”

Heroic Snr Officer:- Plasma Pistol
    - Power Sword
    - Carapace Armour
    - Iron Discipline
    - Biotics

Command Squad- Plasma Gun
    - Veteran w/Company Standard

Platoon 1 Command:
    Jnr. Officer
    - Bolt Pistol
    - CCW
    - Iron Discipline
    Command Squad:- Autocannon
    - Meltaguns [x2]

Platoon 1 Squad 1:
    - Autocannon
    - Grenade Launcher

Platoon 1 Squad 2:- Lascannon
    - Plasma Gun

Platoon 1 Squad 3:- Autocannon
    - Plasma Gun

Armoured Fist Squad:- Missile Launcher
    - Flamer
    - Chimera
    ---Turret Multi-Laser
    ---Hull Heavy Bolter
    ---Smoke Launchers
    ---Extra Armour

“SACRIFICIAL FLANK”

Platoon 2 Command:
    Jnr. Officer
    - Laspistol, CCW, Iron Discipline
    Command Squad:- Lascannon
    - Plasma Guns [x2]

Platoon 2 Squad 1:- Autocannon
    - Grenade Launcher

Platoon 2 Squad 2:
    - Lascannon
    - Plasma Gun

Platoon 2 Squad 3:- Autocannon
    - Meltagun

Armoured Fist Squad:- Missile Launcher
    - Flamer
    - Chimera
    ---Turret Multi-Laser
    ---Hull Heavy Bolter
    ---Smoke Launchers
    ---Extra Armour

“COUNTER ASSAULT”

Rough Riders [x6]:- Hunting Lances
    - Vet Sarge w/Hunting Lance and CCW

Ogryns [x5]:- Chimera
    - Turret Multi-Laser
    - Hull Heavy Bolter
    - Extra Armour

Leman Russ:- Hull Heavy Bolters
    - Sponson Heavy Bolters
    - Extra Armour

Basilisk:- Indirect Fire

Doctrines:- Close Order Drill
    - Iron Discipline
    - Ogryns
    - Rough Riders

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Basically, every unit does what their category suggests. Otherwise, this army uses Split Deployment, in which the Victory Flank goes on one extreme corner of the Table Quarter, and the Sacrificial Flank sits on the other. Way at the back sits the Basilisk (pretty much touching the back corner) and the Russ sits just in front of the Basilisk. The Ogryns and RRs sit back in reserve, ready to pound anyone who gets too close.

The whole army sits still until Turn 5, when the Victory/Sacrificial Flanks move out into a new table quarter (to claim those VPs). Shooting priorities depends on the opponents.

"If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

With the Chaos armed mostly with Anti MEQ weapons and trying to assault a split deployment army I do not like their chances. Also, with around 20 weapons with S7 or higher, the Imperial guard should not have too much trouble killing tanks and T5 models.

Although I do think the Chaos list if far better written (the Imperial Guards unit and Special/Heavy weapon choices seem confused) I think that the Imperial Guard will win the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

I really like this chaos list.

it's a got a good troop base to work from. T5 troops are tough. winged Nurgle Demon Prince is nice. Nurgle Termies are nice. Feel no Pain shouldn't be underestimated.

I'd love to see this battle played out.

I'm not so crazy about the layout of the IG army, but I do understand the heavy weapon choices, maybe not all of the special weapon choices. I'm not a big fan of ogryn, and prefer more guns or more tanks. Rough Riders are nice to play with though, esp. if you want some counter charge.

I feel this list to be a little piecemeal, but a decent list. It's more my preference to have a symmetrical list when playing split deployment, usually my opponent will tend to go for the side I consider my "victory" flank first, esp. if it's beefier.

This is a hard call. there's a Chaos list I really like, and a IG list, I'm not real excited with. I feel that with a matchup of the two lists might go as such:

IF IG goes first, nothing happens, they sit tight, and lob a Bassie shell
    IF CHAOS goes first, they gun the rhinos, and drop out of the rhinos, and use them for mobile terrain. DP flies forward, and draws fire. Preds pop chimeras, because the Russ should be out of sight until a target appears.

IG should have enough decent STR guns to cause problems for the DP, and still disable the rhinos. The Rough Riders can engage and tangle up the DP for a turn. The Russ rolls out and blasts at the marines midfield. Bassie does the same.

Chaos marches forward, and drops Termies to try to pop either the Russ or the Bassie. One of the two tanks dies. Prob. the Russ, due to Predator fire. Demon Prince begins to tear up a a flank, but is hurt very badly. Marines fire at a command squad, and knock it out

IG moves ogryns to counter the DP, and charge him. Bassie fires at marines, or Termies (if they are in view., gunline fires to take down Preds, which they will be able to kill 1, maybe 2 of. IG has to focus on taking squads below scoring. I think Termies will be crippled after IG's turn. IG HAS to kill the Hflamer. that's a higher priority than the marines or the tanks, in my opinion.

Chaos moves forward again, the DP should still be tangled with Ogryn, and some guard units. Marines and the remaining Preds make a squad run away after it's command was killed last turn.

I think the DP will handle an entire flank, and Ogryn, and Rough Riders, but die himself. the marines will get whittled down to 1 squad, and 2 half squads, no Preds will live. IG will have lost a platoon, and a Armored Fist, and another 2 chimera transports

I think this will be a gruesome battle. it really will depend on how the dice are rolled.

I think the advantage with this battle actually lies with Imperial Guard it's easier to wait for them to come to you, and blow them up en route. I'm a bit disappointed, because I really do like the Chaos list better as a list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say Imperial Guard as the Plague Marine list seems to be tailored for taking out other Space marines. Where as the Imperial Guard list carries substantial anti tank weapondry that should take out the Chaos tanks easily.
    The terminators seem to be the biggest threat but with the whole split deployment thing they'd be limited in their effectivness.

The only problem I see with the Imperial guard list would be that fact it may not be able to advance to take table quarters soon enough. So all Chaos needs to do is take out one flank and then use the rhinos for suprerior redeployment. However the long range weapons on the Imperial gaurd will havemost likely removed the rhinos fro,m the equation and if the Plague mArines don't come to the imperials, (where they are in range of MORE weapons) then they'll be out shot at long range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

283 (x6)

Alright guys, that's the voting for this round. Look for the finals soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Imperial Guard will win but its a little over done all you need in a guard army is tons of Guard and Tanks and Heavy Weapon Teams. But I don't know to much about chaos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

283 (x6)

Voting has already been finished for this thread Hull, but thanks anyway - feel free to vote for someone in the final match though!

+ Reply to Thread