Match 3.14 : Hive Fleet Macarbe vs Haylad 804th Infantry - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Match 3.14 : Hive Fleet Macarbe vs Haylad 804th Infantry

Mission: Annihilation
    Deployment: Dawn of War
    Map: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Hive Fleet Macarbe deploy in the top half and go first.

Hive Fleet Macarbe
    List
    Swarmlord
    "Patronus" 2x Tyrant Guards w/ Lash Whips
    "Tres Fatum" 3x Hive Guards
    "Tres Fatum" 3x Hive Guards
    "Bi Fatum" 2x Hive Guards
    "Alma Mater" Tervigon w/ Catalyst, Cluster Spines, Toxin Sacs
    "Turha" 13x Termagants
    "Patta Mater" Tervigon w/ Catalyst, Cluster Spines, Toxin Sacs
    "Turha" 12x Termagants
    "Requiescat" 13x Genestealers
    "Impatus" Tyrannofex w/ Cluster Spines, Desiccator Larvae, Rupture Cannon
    "Amplus Ray" 3x Biovores
    "Vexco Motus" 3x Biovores

Deployment / Tactics
    Its a KP game and he brought on the whole damn buffet. Just slam the crap outa his list and score as much victory points as I can. Pretty much target EVERYTHING on those command/heavy weapon squads. The Swarmlord will kill ANYTHING that moves and the tervigons FNP will be a real help. My second plan is well to use a “psychic scream bomb”. His leadership is nil and I plan to exploit this to my full advantage. If they are all grouped together just slam it with the horror- making priorities command/heavy weapon squads. If he isn’t grouped get Mr.Swarmie in there and cast psychic scream twice. I only need to kill 3 guardsmen in each squad to force a leadership test. The biovores will own here- Let everything else target the command and heavy weapon squads. From their flush them out and bath in the KP from his ungodly number of guardsmen.

Deployment will be as per usual- gaunts up front providing a screen layer, Swarmy behind them flanked by the tervigons. Hive guards behind Swarmy with the Tyrannofex behind them, and the biovores flank the Tyrannofex. The steakers will deep strike on the board and target those more annoying squads (Heavy weapons and command squads).

Haylad 804th Infantry
    List
    "Colonel Fless" Company Command Squad w/ regimental standard, 2 meltaguns, krak grenades
    "Major Bahud" Company Command Squad w/ regimental standard, 2 meltaguns, krak grenades

"Platoon Balzar" Infantry Platoon
    "Captain Balzar" Platoon Command Squad w/ 2 meltaguns
    "Kaylith’s Guns" Heavy Weapon Squad w/ 3 autocannons
    "Bortez’s Guns" Heavy Weapon Squad w/ 3 autocannons
    "Cortez’s Guns" Heavy Weapon Squad w/ 3 autocannons
    "Rashad’s Guns" Heavy Weapon Squad w/ 3 autocannons
    "Ugluk’s Guns" Heavy Weapon Squad w/ 3 autocannons
    "Squad Fashid" Infantry Squad w/ meltagun
    "Squad Garlin" Infantry Squad w/ meltagun
    "Squad Asham" Infantry Squad w/ meltagun
    "Squad Parker" Infantry Squad w/ meltagun

"Platoon Heinko" Infantry Platoon
    "Captain Heinko" Platoon Command Squad w/ 2 meltaguns
    "Squad Holdin" Infantry Squad w/ meltagun
    "Squad Fagor" Infantry Squad w/ meltagun
    "Squad Bubor" Infantry Squad w/ meltagun
    "Squad Eldin" Infantry Squad w/ meltagun

"Platoon Spartz" Infantry Platoon
    "Captain Spartz" Platoon Command Squad w/ 2 meltaguns
    "Squad Olaf" Infantry Squad w/ meltagun
    "Squad Walsh" Infantry Squad w/ meltagun
    "Squad Bartin" Infantry Squad w/ meltagun
    "Squad Gubit" Infantry squad w/ meltagun

"Platoon Nomandir" Infantry Platoon
    "Captain Nomadir" Platoon Command Squad w/ 2 meltaguns
    "Squad Fornit" Infantry Squad w/ meltagun
    "Squad Frum" Infantry Squad w/ meltagun
    "Squad Reelik" Infantry Squad w/ meltagun
    "Squad Mashid" Infantry Squad w/ meltagun

"Platoon Gaylish" Infantry Platoon
    "Captain Gaylish" Platoon Command Squad w/ 2 meltaguns
    "Squad Gordub" Infantry Squad w/ meltagun
    "Squad Shortab" Infantry Squad w/ meltagun
    "Squad Foltin" Infantry Squad w/ meltagun
    "Squad Murtug" Infantry Squad w/ meltagun

Deployment
    None submitted

Tactics
    None submitted

Vote closes on Friday the 6th of May at 1800 PM. Votes as usual must be in bold, and posted along with a reason. It doesn't have to be good mind you, just written down. Crap reasons will have no negative repercussions aside from your peers thinking you are an idiot.

If no tactics have been submitted, please assume average skill level for that player.

My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Edited.
    Last edited by Heirodule; April 30th, 2011 at 14:11.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

I can help with that...all of the infantry squads (not command or heavy weapons squads) from the same platoon may blob up. So that makes five fourty man squads with four meltaguns each, five sets of three autocannons, and seven command squads with two meltaguns each. In all honesty, I can't see the nids pulling this out.

His leadership is nil and I plan to exploit this to my full advantage.
    ...is whistling past the graveyard....those company command squads project a LD9 bubble (and the infantry squads have LD8 to begin with...far from "nil". Only the heavy weapons squads have LD7) with rerolls. Zero chance of forced LD tests winning the match, and that seems to be the nids' primary tactic.

Gaunt screens are pretty thin to begin with at 12 and 13, fourty-man squads will vaporize that, allowing the autocannons and the command squad meltas to go to work. I'm not saying there won't be dead humans all over the place, but blobs of 40 guardsmen throw off a ridiculous number of attacks, and as long as the autocannons take care of most of the biovores on turn two, there's nothing in the nid list that can stand up to ~260 guardsmen (shame on the bugs for allowing themselves to be outnumbered five to one!!!!) except the swarmlord and the tyrannofex...and they won't take out more than two killpoints each before they're dragged down....

Imagine FRFSRF on fourty guarsmen at close range against the tyrannofex. That's four meltas (two unsaved wounds), four laspistols firing once each, and thirty two lasguns firing three shots each. That's 100 shots, 50 hits, 8 and change wounds, one and a partial unsaved...that's 3.4 wounds put on a living landraider by a guardsman blob...and there are five of them....and only one 'fex.

The guard can pretty much vaporise the gaunts (and I really doubt that the nids will be spawning free kill points) and the genestealers, and each of the five guard blobs can put ten wounds on against T6 at close range with FRFSRF, or eight without....that's not counting what fifteen autocannons will do, or the command squads.

The IG start (assuming blobbing, which was in force even in objectives-based games, so it's a very reasonable assumption here) with 17 KP to 12 for the nids. I can imagine the IG tabling the bugs, but not vice versa... The seven IG command squads, since they give orders that are devastating against TMCs, are the best focus for the nids, but it won't be enough. The five autocannon squads are also worthy, and not difficult, targets. The bugs can prevent the guard from winning by killing just 65 models...if they kill all of the non-blobbed squads, they can't lose....but they won't be able to.
    Last edited by Marnepup; April 30th, 2011 at 04:06.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Edited.
    Last edited by Heirodule; April 30th, 2011 at 14:12.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

In theory, yes. But it's dawn of war. The HG, in spite of shooting first, can only shoot, with perfect sixes on their "run" rolls on turn one, to a point six inches off of the guard board edge on turn two...they won't have range to the autocannon squads until turn three! Not only that, but there are only three units of them, meaning that at least two units of autocannons will get to shoot twice. More than enough to gut the biovores before dying. And that assumes that the hive guard don't whiff on their rolls...I can see the unit of two hive guard killing only one or two out of its targeted autocannon squad...and with rerollable LD9, I don't see the remnant running, so there will probably be slightly more than six autocannons still shooting on the bottom of turn three.
    The biovores will own here- Let everything else target the command and heavy weapon squads.
    This indicates an intent to target the biovores against the infantry squads...which will of course cause the greatest number of raw casualties, but have the least impact on the outcome of the game...it's possible that the nid player will change his mind when he sees that they've blobbed up to 40-man monstrosities, but I'm not going to make any assumptions about him deviating from his declared tactics to a better set.

Anyway, even assuming that the biovores change their targeting from infantry squads to command squads, they can still only target two of the seven on turn two...and fifteen S7 hits can be applied against them before turn three...I'm not saying the biovores aren't dangerous, they are in fact the only thing in this nid list that's deadly against a horde, but their target priority is poor, and the average guard horde player will recognize that enemy pieplates need to be at the top of his own target priority matrix.

Here's the sequence of events that I project:

Top of turn one: Nids move on, reaching an average of 9.5" onto the board with run. No shooting or assault.

Bottom of turn one: Guard moved on, with blobs running, command squads trailing them (perhaps one or three intending to hang near the heavy weapons, although all of them should be within range of the heavy weapons on turn two, even if they intend to move up with the blobs). Blobs run, reaching an average of 9.5" onto the board, with the command squads running as well, but staying behind them.

At the end of turn one, the combatants are 29" apart.

Top of turn two: Nids move 6", now 23" from the leading edge of the guard (the blobs). Do they run or shoot? I say the hive guard and biovores shoot at the infantry squads (hive guard can't reach anything else, and biovores declared them as their target), everything else runs.

Bottom of turn two: Guard sees nids ~20" away, blob squads shoot with FRFSRF orders, probably at the gaunts. 400 (minus not insignificant casualties!) lasgun shots obliterate the gaunts, and if the gaunts go down before the last unit shoots, they can shift to the bigger bugs. Fifteen autocannons target the biovores.

At the end of turn two, the nids are still out of range to charge of the guardsmen, have lost their gaunt screen, and can only anticipate a fourth turn charge if they accept a turn of short-ranged FRFSRF+melta first.

Being outnumbered 5-1 by a list with DOZENS of meltas and half as many autocannons...I can't see a way for them to win. I hadn't thought too far into what the IG should target after the biovores and gaunts, but it won't take but a single turn of hive guard fire for them to reveal themselves as the next priority. I don't see the nids killing the blob squads, and I don't see them killing all twelve smaller squads before the tools to do so are taken from them...and they have to do one or the other...
    Last edited by Marnepup; April 30th, 2011 at 05:02.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

344 (x8)

Edited (again)
    Last edited by Heirodule; May 2nd, 2011 at 16:14.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with marnepup IGhave enough fire power to slay most of the tyrannids before they get to him

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

I have to disagree, the biovores will make all the difference here. With their anti-troop shooting, combined with the hive guard's overall good shooting, and the fact that the swarmlord will devour anything that gets close, I have to give my vote to the Nids.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

(Un)Official LO Map Maker Cannibal God's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    162 (x3)

Again, wrote a huge paragraph out explaining why I thought Tyranids would win and then lost it. Lots of meltas, cool story bro! Here's my biovore or six and a swarmlord against imperial guard infantry in an annihilation game. Lots of shots are going to be good, but melta-ing that gaunt ain't squat. I just don't see it. As far as I'm concerned it'll be a feeding frenzy with the 'nids choosing their battles and counting up the scores. 30-something kill points up for grabs?

@Marnepup It might be best if we kept discussions at a minimum until after the voting has finished. I think that the VW would be better if voters are making their opinions based upon the lists and tactics and not the views of other voters. I don't think it'll affect things too much, but it would be best to give everyone in the VW an even playing field where no one can claim they were treated unfairly because someone decided to create a post about why they think a side would win when they are no longer voting. My two cents.
    Last edited by Cannibal God; May 1st, 2011 at 16:27.
    If someone helps you, rep them.
    In a votewar you don't vote on a single match, you vote on the entire round. Got that?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

298 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal God View Post
    30-something kill points up for grabs?
    Try seventeen, the infantry squads in each platoon have to be assumed to be blobbed up. Why? Two reasons. First, because we have seen in previous rounds that the owner of the list blobs them up even in objectives-based games, and two, because we're bound to assume an IQ somewhere north of seventy on the part of anyone who fails to submit tactics...and putting 32KP at risk when you can get away with 17 would be idiotic! You are of course free to base your vote on the assumption that the guard player won't blob up, but then you might as well just say that you're voting against him for failing to submit tactics, because you're bending over backwards to assume the worst.

It might be best if we kept discussions at a minimum until after the voting has finished.
    I respect your opinion...but I fail to see how thoughtful analysis or the pointing out of a mistake can hurt. There's a vast difference between "I think your opinion that griffons make red paste out of shoota boyz is stupid, you should change your vote," and pointing out that the hive guard in this scenario can't possibly shoot far enough to kill the autocannon teams until turn three (unless the autocannon teams elect to run on turn one, which would be idiotic of them, since their range extends beyond the opposite board edge to begin with). Thay's simple time/movement/weapons range analysis to say what's even possible, it's not anywhere near blathering on about what I would do in a given situation (which is completely irrelevant, it's not my fight!). If I were to insist that the guard player will put meatshields in base to base contact with the autocannon teams so that they do get cover saves against the hive guard, that would be something to complain about, but pointing out that heirodule's assumption that the hive guard would be able to shoot the autocannon teams on turn two was flawed, or that he was basing his vote on the substitution of his own targeting priority for the targeting priority that the player actually wrote down, that's dealing in facts, not opinions.

Obviously, we'd all be thrilled to get a vote any way we can, even if it's based on someone misreading tactics and deployment, or substituting their own, or basing their judgement on incorrect assumptions...but is that really fair? I really don't think keeping silent when we see someone else make such a mistake is the right thing to do. It's not at all the same as an ongoing emotional argument that one list is inherently superior to the other... For that matter, I've made such mistakes myself, and was happy to change my vote when I had them pointed out to me. In my case, I felt that the match was too close to call because I didn't think a particular unit would have a cover save on turn one, so I didn't vote at all...but when someone pointed to a bit of the tactics/deployment writeup that I'd missed that made it clear that the unit in question would indeed be in cover, I came off the fence and voted. Not because sombeody pleaded with me, but because he showed me a fact that I hadn't considered.
    Last edited by Marnepup; May 1st, 2011 at 19:16.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast