40K VoteWar MkIII - Info Thread - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

40K VoteWar MkIII - Info Thread

Okay, I've decided. This VoteWar will be Round Robin fashion. We'll give it a try to see how well it works, and if we decide that Single Elimination was better, we can always go back to it.

SitRep - I have 20 lists at the time of this writing. I'm taking 24. That's 12 threads each round that people should peruse through and vote on. Once I reach 24 lists I will close submissions. If you want to be in the VoteWar, I suggest you get me your list ASAP. I am however waiting on one person to look over his list and make sure the points costs are correct.

If have submitted me a list, then be assured I have formatted it to make it easy to read. I may have PM'd you back, I may not have. If I didn't, don't worry - it just means that I didn't see any problems or have any questions about your list. I have not changed the upgrades that you have listed - however, in some cases I may have made executive decisions. For instance, I may have decided that in a Terminator squad that the Sergeant is the one holding the Thunder Hammer. I consider these changes minor and cosmetic - if you are worried that I may have compromised your list, PM me and we can sort it out. If it was a big change, then I would have PM'd you about it first.

I plan on starting the rounds in the next week and a half or so. Maybe next weekend. Mainly because I want to take a rest before starting in on this. I'll give fair warning before I do - like the day before I'll post in here.

How the Round Robin format will work -
    At start, there will be five rounds. Each round consists of twelve battle threads pitting each player versus a random opponent. Each battle will have a random mission assigned to it from the Standard missions list. Voting will be the same as in MkII.V - the mission means everything.

Each mission will be played with the following rules - Infiltration, Deep Strike, and Victory Points. Due to great public outcry Escalation will never appear in VoteWar again.

The winner will be the list that has the most votes declared for it. In order for a vote to count, you must list reasons to why you think the battle will play out in such a fashion. "I agree" statements are not enough - you must word your own reasons, even if they've been stated before. Please try to read other people's arguements before deciding upon your vote. Though some people get long winded, they usually make extremely good arguements.

If there is a tie, it will come down to fluff votes. As you vote for the mission winner, consider which list is fluffiest. Fluff votes are not mandatory however. Fluff votes don't need a reason, but it is appreciated. If the fluff votes are tied (it has happened...) then the game will end in a draw.

The winner of each round scores two points while the loser scores zero points. If the game ends in a pure draw, both players score one point. After five rounds, I'll take the top four lists and run a second Round Robin style game. All four lists will play the other three lists - the list with the top score will be declared our winner.

Obviously I can't run the tourney so that every list plays every list - that'd take me 23 rounds, each with 12 threads. Yech.

Does that sound fair to everyone? It's not too late to change it. I was also looking at the Swiss Style, but I think Round Robin is a bit more fair for what we're trying to accomplish here.

Army List Formatting -
    I have formatted the army lists to be something a bit more readable. I'll take a few examples -

(Example unit -)
    Blood Claw Bikers – Five (5) men
    Three (3) armed with Twin Linked Bolters
    One (1) armed with Meltagun
    One (1) armed with Twin Linked Bolters and Power Fist

(Example vehicle -)
    Leman Russ Battle Tank:
    Turret mounted Battle Cannon; Hull mounted Heavy Bolter; Heavy Bolter Sponsons; Extra Armour; Searchlight

How does that look? Is it easy to read?

Last edited by Caluin; February 3rd, 2006 at 02:43.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Librarian Augustine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Sounds good, can't wait to start. Yay for no escalation, despite the fact that it was probably better for me to have it considering my army. Anyways its best to win a fair fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x4)

Two things: I think that wins by large margins should get more points. Example: if you win by more than a 3:1 ratio, you get 3 points instead of 2.

Also, I think that we should instead take the top 4 lists and do a round robin between all of them (that's 6 battles simultaneously). The highest scorer (using the same system) would be the winner.

The thing is that if we use quarterfinals, (the current idea) there's still 2 chances for elimination based on bad luck. Also, taking the top third of the lists seems a little excessive. Only those who score really well after 5 rounds should go on to the last rounds. (though this still leaves room for bad luck, probably). Finally, EVERY top list fights EVERY other. This would be a bit more fair.

The biggest disadvantage of course is that we don't have the "final battle" which is always exciting. However, if we only have 6 battles with the top 4 lists, it would create quite a bit of interest IMO. Just my suggestion.

Alternately, we could take the top 5-8 lists and do larger round robins (if we had 8 lists, we'd have to do 2 rounds of 14 battles).

Just my $.02
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for you cooperation.

Votewar 40k Mk1- 2nd Place
    Votewar FB 1- 1st Place
    Votewar 40k Mk5- 1st Place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWamp
    Two things: I think that wins by large margins should get more points. Example: if you win by more than a 3:1 ratio, you get 3 points instead of 2.
    That unfairly penalizes the threads that don't generate much traffic. For instance, last VoteWar in the first round there were two or three lists that had a lot of interesting discussion which brought more voters in - but most of the lists were pretty one sided and people didn't seem interested in voting for them.

Also, I think that we should instead take the top 4 lists and do a round robin between all of them (that's 6 battles simultaneously). The highest scorer (using the same system) would be the winner.
    That is a good idea, and I have indeed been thinking about running it like that. I was counting on the appeal of a "Final Battle" between the top two lists. But we can run the semi-finals with the top four lists just as easily. It'd just be three rounds of two battles each. I think I may go with this instead.

And I agree that the top eight lists is a bit much - it was just a nice, round number than was a power of two.

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x5)

Sounds good to me. Very well thought out and the blue is easy on the eyes :-D

I'm coming off a first round elimination, so I have a few things to prove!!!!

*shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

62 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Caluin
    That unfairly penalizes the threads that don't generate much traffic. For instance, last VoteWar in the first round there were two or three lists that had a lot of interesting discussion which brought more voters in - but most of the lists were pretty one sided and people didn't seem interested in voting for them.
    Does it though? I mean, a 3-1 win gets you that extra point as does a 9-3 win. If it's the ratio that counts, you'd get the benifit as long as you could draw in just a few voters, and you were better than them by enough. This would also give incentive to vote for lists where it was obvious who would win: it would make people want to make sure that they got or were denied that overwhelming victory.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for you cooperation.

Votewar FB 1- 1st Place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Does it though? I mean, a 3-1 win gets you that extra point as does a 9-3 win. If it's the ratio that counts, you'd get the benifit as long as you could draw in just a few voters, and you were better than them by enough. This would also give incentive to vote for lists where it was obvious who would win: it would make people want to make sure that they got or were denied that overwhelming victory.
    But what happens if someone has a score to nil e.g 4? Also what about a ratio of say 7/3? do you round up or what?

The idea is good but would only work if there was compulsory voting so a set number of votes were had for each list.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

So whats the list count so far Caluin? I'm itching to get back in there.

Who eliminated you Black? Wasent me was it? :ph34r:
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson

Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by numberofthebeastxxx
    So whats the list count so far Caluin? I'm itching to get back in there.
    Twenty three lists. One slot left. First come, first served. Although, I'm not going to start the VoteWar right after I recieve the last list - I'd like to take a few days to myself and relax a little bit, ya know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

62 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Doom
    But what happens if someone has a score to nil e.g 4? Also what about a ratio of say 7/3? do you round up or what?

The idea is good but would only work if there was compulsory voting so a set number of votes were had for each list.
    It would just work any time the ratio was at ore better than 3:1, so 7/3 isn't good enough, and 4/0 is more than enough. Of course, a 1/0 or 2/0 battle could screw this up, but I don't think we'd have any of those.

Votewar FB 1- 1st Place

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast