40K VWMkIII - Battle #61, Finals - Dark Eldar versus Necrons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

40K VWMkIII - Battle #61, Finals - Dark Eldar versus Necrons

Please see this thread on how to participate in these games. I want to stress to everyone that the mission means everything. He who stands the best way to score Victory Points should be the winner. All missions have the Infiltration, Deep Strike, and Victory Points special rules.

Mission Type - Recon

Dark Eldar Wych Cult

Headquarters – 188 points
    Wych Archite:
    Mask of the damned; Power Weapon; Jet Bike; Combat Drugs; Plasma Grenades; Shadow Field; Tormentor Helm; Splinter Pistol

Elites – 300 points
    Warriors squad – Ten (10) men
    Eight (8) armed with Splinter Rifles
    Two (2) armed with Dark Lances

Troops – 800 points
    Wyches Squad – Eight (8) men
    Seven armed with Wych Weapons; Splinter Pistol and CCW
    Succubus: Agonisor and Splinter Pistol; Goblet of Spite
    Raider: Dark Lance; Horrorfex.

Succubus: Agonisor and Splinter Pistol

Heavy Support – 345 points
    Ravager:
    Three (3) Dark Lances

Ravager:
    Three (3) Disintegrators

Ravager:
    Three (3) Disintegrators

Special – 213 points
    Warp beast pack – Six (6) models
    Beast master: Agonizer and Splinter Pistol
    Five (5) Warp Beasts

Warp beast pack – Six (6) models
    Five (5) Warp Beasts

Warp beast pack – Five (5) models
    Four (4) Warp Beasts

Strategy:
    (PLEASE READ) Ok since not too many people are familiar with DE, especially the updated codex rules I’ll give a quick run down of some of the wargear and just what this army can do. The updates are posted http://uk.games-workshop.com/darkeld...dex-update.pdf]HERE[/url].

Lets start with the lord. This is a Wych Lord and can therefore take wyches as troops, make warp beast packs not count towards the force organization chart, also removing the 0-1 limit, and warriors count as elites. The Mask of the Damned forces any unit wishing to assault him to take a leadership test, if failed, they may not assault him. After his wargear upgrades he has a 12inch move, S4, T4, I8, WS6, 2+ invulnerable, 4+ wych dodge if the 2+ fails, and 6 power weapon attacks on the charge. This is of course without any benefits he may be gaining from combat drugs. Unlike normal drugs, I get to roll many dice for upgrades if I choose. Plus he’s an IC, so he cannot be targeted.

The 3 warrior squads are standard, but sporting 6 dark lances between them, they pack a punch.

The wych squads are amazing in close combat. The Succubi have agonisers for some quick power weapon kills. Wych weapons do 2 things. Any models in an assault with the wyches lose bonus attacks for having 2 cc weapons. This can effectively halve a squads attacks that are being charged by the wyches. On top of that, any models with a base strength of less than 6 must halve their weapon skill! And lets not forget that wyches will hit 1st against most opponents, and don’t forget combat drugs! The raiders have horrorfexes which basically allow them to pin squads they shoot at with it. One squad has a goblet of spite. This nifty piece of wargear allows every model in the squad to hit on a 3+ regardless of all other factors!

The Ravagers will lay down some heavy fire. 3 dark lances and 6 space marine killing disintegrators pack quite a punch.

The warp beasts are vulnerable to shooting, but hey, there’s 3 of them. Plus there are more pressing targets for the enemy to deal with. They move as cavalry and pack a huge punch in cc.

A few more notes: This army has 13 dark lances! This is more than enough to down any amount of tanks. Plus it has an insane amount of mobility and cc prowess. With all this speed and firepower, plenty will get into cc, where the DE will enviably come out on top.
    ----------------------------------------

Necrons - (8 points)

Headquarters – 300 points
    Necron Lord:
    Resurrection Orb; Staff of Light

Necron Lord:
    Resurrection Orb; Staff of Light; Gaze of flame; Disruption Field

Troops – 1080 points
    Necron Warriors Squad – Twenty (20) men
    Twenty (20) armed with Gauss Flayers

Heavy Support – 470 points
    Monolith:
    Gauss Flux Arc; Living Metal

Monolith:
    Gauss Flux Arc; Living Metal

Phase Out = 15 models

Strategy:
    VS shooting armies, Deep Strike monoliths when possible, advance warriors under res-orb, when monoliths arrive, teleport warriors close, and doubletap/charge depending.

VS CC armies, keep monoliths on board, fire at charging enemy, when they reach CC, teleport warriors out and rapid fire again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Necrons

The DE are going to have a hell of a job to bring down the monoliths, who will just teleport any warriors quads that end up in CC, the assaulting squad is going to get a lot of shots in the face.

The necron numbers are also going to take a toll on the DE especially since necrons are so resilient.

Senior Member Librarian Augustine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

The Dark eldar won't have that tough of a time. They have 13 dark lances. I know that it doesn't reduce the armour That is enough to take down the monoliths over a few turns. After the liths are gone the DE will destroy the necrons

Dark Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i vote necrons

-13 dark lances is 1.44 glancing hits a turn, so possibly 1 lith will go down, but that will probably be after most of the fighting with wyches (the main threat) is over

-the wyches and warp beasts will run/ fly forward, charge the warriors, do substantial casualties, and then see most of the casualties get back up, and themselves blasted to peices by return fire. most of the wyches will probably be gone by turn 3/4, and what will be left of the necrons will be more than enough to handle the warriors and ravagers.
    Procrastination- hard work often pays off over time, but laziness always pays off now.
    Indifference- it takes 43 muscles to frown, and 17 to smile, but none to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

-Votewar 40K III= 1st place
    -Votewar 40k mini= 2nd place
    -Votewar fantasy 2= 2nd place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x4)

There's actually no reason to try to go for cc in this one. The DE can just sit back and outrange and outshoot the necrons
    Last edited by TheWamp; February 20th, 2006 at 06:36.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for you cooperation.

Votewar 40k Mk1- 2nd Place
    Votewar FB 1- 1st Place
    Votewar 40k Mk5- 1st Place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWamp
    I vote dark eldar

There's actually no reason to try to go for cc in this one. The DE can just sit back and outrange and outshoot the necrons

Hmm. Due to the focus in the DE list being on Wyches I think they will have to try to close. In Hth they will do quite well, but it will ultimately not matter since those big squads will just teleport out as stated earlier and shoot them up.

I'm usually on the side that fears DE and would normally vote for them against most armies. This is not one of them.

As for the Dark Lances, we are assuming equal playing skill, so the Necron player will focus on getting rid of those Dark Lances ASAP as he/she knows they are his only real threat to the Monoliths who once they are in the midst of Wyches will unfortunately shred them quickly.

I vote Necrons for the mission.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Necrons can weather the fire and they can pull something that strongly reminds me of the Tau Jump-Shoot-Jump. I think they'll win this one.

Necrons

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey
    Hmm. Due to the focus in the DE list being on Wyches I think they will have to try to close. In Hth they will do quite well, but it will ultimately not matter since those big squads will just teleport out as stated earlier and shoot them up.

I'm usually on the side that fears DE and would normally vote for them against most armies. This is not one of them.

As for the Dark Lances, we are assuming equal playing skill, so the Necron player will focus on getting rid of those Dark Lances ASAP as he/she knows they are his only real threat to the Monoliths who once they are in the midst of Wyches will unfortunately shred them quickly.

I vote Necrons for the mission.
    The Dark lances are OUT OF RANGE of the Necrons, so the Necrons can't shoot them, no matter the skill level. Also, the focus of the list is totally irrelevant. Sure, it's built to close, but it doesn't have to. Why NOT just sit back and outrange the necrons?
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for you cooperation.

Votewar 40k Mk1- 2nd Place
    Votewar FB 1- 1st Place
    Votewar 40k Mk5- 1st Place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have 13 dark lances. I know that it doesn't reduce the armour That is enough to take down the monoliths over a few turns. After the liths are gone the DE will destroy the necrons
    First off, 13 dark lances will take slightly over 4 turns (24.07% chance a turn) to kill a lith. Never mind that at least a few of them are bound to be destroyed. So they can take down 1 lith, but probably not both.
    Second, the DE will not "destroy" the necrons in cc. The wych squads are overspecialized to be fighting warriors. There is no second close combat weapon to negate, there are no power weapons (except for the lords), they already strike last, and they're we'll be back means they're diffcult to whittle away at.

They can sit back and shoot all they want, until the monoliths drop on them and port some warriors through. Having a 15 inch deployment zone helps out with that. They also have the option of popping a d6 heavy bolter on everything around them. Against an army of light infantry and open topped transports, that's pretty rough. Especially when you consider by turn 4 there should be 2 of those bad boys. It will make a nice sandwich with 3 firing squads of necrons waiting.

The ability of the necrons to drop the Monoliths anywhere and to pull their warriors out of cc helps immensely. Their ability to fire a d6 heavy bolter at units in an 18 inch radius is also devastating. However, I feel they would be better used if they started out on the board.

First off, the necron should deploy everything 15 inches foward. Place one warrior squad 6 inches from the left side, and the other 6 inches from the right. Place the monoliths 18 inches from either squad. Stick the lordless squad in the center. Two turns and 9 inches later, they will be at the halfway point. This gunline can cover any spot on the board. Standing still, the warriros range 24 inches, just like the monoliths.
    The dark eldar will have no where to run, no where to hide, no cc to take cover in. They're boned.

I vote Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Necrons
    Hmm, recon. That means that the necron player can get virtually all his units into the other side quite easily. Then there's 60 Necron warriors. There is no way they're not going to kill a whole squad per turn each. As for dark lances, well they're only S8 and those don't tend to do so well against AV 14, even if there's 13 of them.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast