VW Mini: Finals, Battle 31; Night Lords vs Tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VW Mini: Finals, Battle 31; Night Lords vs Tyranids

Please give a reason for your votes and Bold them. Fluff votes may be given, in which case they'll determine the winner of a draw.
    Mission: Cleanse

Night Lords

Headquarters - 233 points
    Chaos Leiutenant:Joins a Chaos Marines squad
    Darkblade; Bolt Pistol; Frags; Infiltrate; Sorcerer; Wind of Chaos

Chaos Leiutenant:Joins a Chaos Marines squad
    Armed with Power Weapon; Bolt Pistol; Infiltrate; Daemonic Strength; Sorcerer; Wind of Chaos

Troops - 312 points
    Chaos Marine Squad - Six (6) marines
    All have Stealth Adept
    All have Infiltrate
    Three (3) armed with Bolt Pistol; CCW
    Two (2) armed with Meltaguns
    Aspiring Champion; Powerfist; Bolt Pistol

Chaos Marine Squad - Six (6) marines
    All have Stealth Adept
    All have Infiltrate
    Three (3) armed with Bolt Pistol; CCW
    Two (2) armed with Meltaguns
    Aspiring Champion; Powerfist; Bolt Pistol

Elites - 205 points
    Chosen - Seven (7) marines
    All have Stealth Adept
    All have Infiltrate
    Five (5) armed with Bolt Pistol; CCW
    One (1) armed with Flamer
    Aspiring Champion; Powerfist; Bolt Pistol; Sorcerer; Wind of Chaos

Notes:
    Fairly straight forward. Infiltrate close, and pulverize the enemy in Close Combat. Stealth Adept enhances the cover saves of my units, allowing them to survive shooting matches. Meltaguns deal with any armour and MCs that might happen to show up. If expecting Monstrous Creatures (such as Greater Daemons) then the squads will team up to take it down through shooting as best as possible, finishing it off with Powerfist attacks.

The Lts. join the Troops choices to add a bit of punch to them. If necessary, they can split off to Wind of Chaos a different unit that the one the Troops will engage.

Wind of Chaos: Cover Saves? What Cover Saves? Armour Saves? What Armour Saves? Enemies get none of those.

Also, it is worth pointing out that each unit is/has a sorcerer, which allows them to detect any ambushes that await them.

Tyranids

Headquarters - 270 points
    Broodlord: Attatched to retinue
    Extended Carapace; Toxin Sacs

Genestealer Retinue - Nine (9) Genestealers
    All have Extended Carapace

Troops - 480 points
    Genestealers - Six (6) Genestealers

Notes:
    Not really much strategy, the stealers all rush forward under cover of the jungle, and engage the enemy in CC. The broodlord and genestealers infiltrate for a second turn charge.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tyranids

-33 genestealers, and a broodlord will kill 19 marines and 2 lieutenants in cc.

-due to the cover and their far superior movement speed, most of the stealers will get to CC before being hit with the flamers.

-the flamers can only shoot at targets they can see, and since you can only see through 6" of forest, and stealers have a much larger charge than that, the marines will get charged and die before getting much shooting off.
    Procrastination- hard work often pays off over time, but laziness always pays off now.
    Indifference- it takes 43 muscles to frown, and 17 to smile, but none to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

-Votewar 40K III= 1st place
    -Votewar 40k mini= 2nd place
    -Votewar fantasy 2= 2nd place

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

31 genestealers and a broodlord is one hell of a cc fighting force, and eventhough a lot of them will get killed by the 3x winds of chaos, I still believe that the remaining stealers will most likely beat the night lords when they reach cc.

I vote tyranids

I dont know much about night lords, so my vote is up for a change if anyone can convince me that I am wrong. But as it is now, I assume that this battle will be all about cc power, and the nids sure seems to lead in that field.

In a cave underneath the great mountains gaurding a treassure you'll never find
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Clearly a win for kroots, the stealers will eat the night lords in cc and they will get into cc without many casualties

vote tyranids
    Dragons do flame.... but only when they are upset or they want to

According to new signature rules my hydra (the only reason for it to be here was to please Caluin) have been removed. But still dragons pwnz hydras anytime

heretical thoughts? ShadowZora13's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    231 (x4)

Do 'stealers get 12" charge?

if so, I'd say this is no contest, as in one turn of moving through cover mariens cant get within 12" of the nids, so they couldn't shoot if they got first turn. Then the nids move better through cover, and fleet, and then charge 12" or 6"? Either way if the marines moved towards them at all, the nids will be able to get there, but not necessarily if the marines did the only good option they had and moved away. This only is for the Brood lord squad if I'm not mistaken, but still.

Now flamer templates are 8" long, and only 6" of that is worth while, so you need to be 2-4" away for it to be really effective, but first turn the marines can't get there.

Then at least by the second turn the stealers with the brood lord hit, thats gonna be one dead squad. If the stealers do the smart thing (and i know this is assumed to be equal skill, so i'll say the stealer player will) He will try to consolidate into the next squad, also assuming that the marines are close together.

Even if the flamers and winds get to hit the nids, it won't hurt em too badly, as 4+ sv keeps the casualties from flamers minimal, and with so much terrain the stealers can afford to spread out and take less hits from both weapons. Bolt pistols won't be all that effective in such a close environment where they need to be within 6" to see the opponent.

I vote Tyranids.

"...lest we perish without ever recognizing our peril"
    -Inquisitor Hoth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Well, there's only one flamer that I see, so that's not really the focus of the list. Looks like the Winds of Chaos are the major hitters, so the armour saves don't really mean much.

Genestealers can only charge six inches. But with Move Through Cover and Fleet, it's likely they can dodge the templates. The Broodlord will probably get hit, but it doesn't matter. One wound on him isn't going to stop him.

This is pretty clear that the Tyranids are going to win this. The Night Lords list is nicely built, but very few MEQ armies can stand up to a Genestealer list. They just don't have the numbers to survive it.

Tyranids win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

Well, Winds of Chaos use the flamer template I recall...

I don't know what AP value Winds of Chaos has, if it's AP5 the Night Lords are totally doomed. They rely on CC with one turn of additional template fire. If those templates won't kill many 4+ save 'Stealers only CC remains. There they would be maimed, butchered, annihilated...

If the Winds of Chaos have AP4 the Night Lords might actually have a chance of taking a good deal of 'Stealers with them, but they still wouldn't win.

A clear victory for the Tyranids.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Araith
    Well, Winds of Chaos use the flamer template I recall...

I don't know what AP value Winds of Chaos has, if it's AP5 the Night Lords are totally doomed.
    Check the Tactics section of the Night Lords. The Winds of Chaos power disallows any Armour Saves. Just for future reference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Well, unless I'm reading things wrong when the genestealers charge the Night Lords they will go last as they have no frag grenade equivilent.

(Given that the Night Lords will no doubt stay in cover as much as possible.)

This gives the Night Lords many flamer/wind of chaos templates and first chop as it were in hand to hand which will cut down on some of that rending.

If it was just the Night Lords versus an equal number of genestealer squads, I'd give the advantage to the Night Lords in a battle of attrition.

However, the Night Lords are outnumbered, both in total numbers and in numbers of squads, and I haven't even factored in the Brood Lord.

I vote Tyranids for the mission.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

heretical thoughts? ShadowZora13's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    231 (x4)

ah, for some reason I thought Stealers had 12" charge...my bad.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you attack at initiative order when moth units are in cover before/durring the charge? If so, the stealers are fine in cc with their good int.

"...lest we perish without ever recognizing our peril"
    -Inquisitor Hoth

Closed Thread