40K VWMkV - Round #4 - Battle #47 - Space Wolves versus Thousand Sons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

40K VWMkV - Round #4 - Battle #47 - Space Wolves versus Thousand Sons

Please see this thread on how to participate in these games. I want to stress to everyone that the mission means everything. He who stands the best way to score Victory Points should be the winner. All missions have the Infiltration, Deep Strike, and Victory Points special rules.

Mission Type - Take and Hold

Death Cry Clan
    Space Wolves

HQ: 332
    Elites: 102
    Troops: 928
    Fast Attack: 145
    Heavy Support:

Wolf Guard Battle Leader Kosan Brenneka:
    Space Marine Bike; Belt of Russ; Frost Blade; Bolt Pistol; Frags

Venerable Dreadnought Gweneira:
    Assault Cannon; Storm Bolter; Extra Armor; Drop Pod

5x Wolf Scouts First Borns
    4x Bolt Pistols & CCW
    Wolf Guard Leader Kade Akin
    Power fist & Bolt Pistol

9x Grey Hunters Death Rain:
    True Grit; 1x Meltagun; 2x Power Fist & Bolt Pistol; 6x Bolters & CCW; Drop pod

9x Grey Hunters Red Fists:

9x Grey Hunters Fangs of Morkai:

9x Grey Hunters Shadow of Russ:

Land Speeder Tornado Gavran:
    Assault Cannon & Heavy Bolter

Land Speeder Tornado Makani: 65
    Multi-Melta

Tactics:
    The space wolves will likely go first; as they can re-roll the dice for first turn with the Venerable Dreadnought.

Against the average opponent the bike HQ will boost; as far forward as possible; while staying out of LOS. His maximum movement range is 24 inches; so he should be able to stay out of LOS on any board; against any opponent.

The Land speeders will do the same thing; 3 fairly small models should be able to stay hidden.

Next turn; half of the reserves arrive. Most likely; it will be two Grey Hunter squads; and one other type of either unit the dreadnought; or the scouts.

The scouts intent to assault on the turn they arrive; using their special rules; arrive behind enemy lines. They will hit powerful assault units; crippling them with a power fist; or heavy shooters; like Havocs; stopping them for shooting; and killing a fair number while they are at it.

When the drop pods land; the troops inside will unload a significant blast of bolter fire; they can also be used for anti tank support if the situation requires it.

While this happens; the tornados pop out; along with the HQ.

The HQ on bike will go after shooty units weak in assault. He on his own is pretty hard to kill as long as the enemy does have any power fists in their squad. If no such squad exists; he will simply shoot the enemy; and join a Grey hunters squad for a turn.

Further specification of tactics will depend on mission and opponent.

Fluff:
    In the dead of night a thunder hawk delivers its deadly cargo.

The elite scouts move to the latest enemy position; using their incredible infiltration skills they will sneak around to the back of the enemy; cutting off any retreat.

The rest of the scouting party waits for the scout’s signal; they include the HQ; and two land speeders.

A single roar of a wolf and bike engine can be herd; in the confusion little does the enemy know it is already to late; the drop pods descend upon them; shattering their lines under hail of bolter fire; only to assaulted from behind and the front.

Of those few who have ever survived such an attack they describe it as though they had been hunted by a wolf pack; a small legend has sponge up amounts the enemies of the emperor. Fear the wolf cry; for it rains death from the stars.

--------------------

Kefka's Magitek Army
    Thousand Sons

HQ: 146
    Elites: 0
    Troops: 1020
    Fast Attack: 0
    Heavy Support: 330

Chaos Lieutenant Kefka:
    Mark of Tzeentch; bolt pistol; power weapon; Daemonic Strength; Daemonic Aura; Bolt of Change; 4x Thrall Wizards

9x Rubric Marines:
    8x Boltguns
    Aspiring Champion w/ power fist & Bolt Pistol; Bolt of Change; 4x Thrall Wizards

9x Rubric Marines:
    8x Boltguns
    Aspiring Champion w/ power fist & Bolt Pistol; Bolt of Change; 4x Thrall Wizards

9x Rubric Marines:
    8x Boltguns

9x Tzeentch Daemons
    5x Horrors; 4x Flamers

Chaos Predator:
    Turret twin-linked lascannon; sponson Lascannons; Daemonic Possession

Chaos Predator:
    Turret twin-linked lascannon; sponson Lascannons; Daemonic Possession

Tactics:
    I just plan a slow; steady advance in the first turn or two so I can bring my firepower to bear along one section of the enemy. Then I'll grab what I can later in the game when enemy resistance has been reduced sufficiently.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Dancing Peanuts? You bet! Robizzle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x4)

Space Wolves

The Wolvies can drop all over the Thousand Sons, and when they do, the Sons have no real way of taking large numbers of MEQ's out.

Sure, there are a lot of Bolts of Change, but they'll only get a few shots off, after which, they get assaulted by 2 power fists per squad, which ignore the Sons main advantage: durability.

Furthermore, the large number of Meltaguns mean that there's a high probability that they can nail the Predators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Felt I should point out a little known rule - Space Wolves and Thousand Sons models all hit each other in Close Combat on a 3+, regardless of Weapon Skill. Just something for people to consider.

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

I have to agree, the thousand sons will be in a bad posstion to counter the space wolves.

The space wolves get 6 powerfist attacks on the charge (after first strike with there firepower)

Which will deal with those two wounded models pretty quickly.

The preditors will be brought down by the landspeeders + some melta gun shots.

The dreadnought will also do extreamily well in CC, at WS 5, he will really be busting people quickly.

And the scouts + bike HQ can tie up shooting squads, since they have no deffence in CC.

Space wolves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Space Wolves

Droppodding Power fists and melta-guns are just what the doctor ordered for getting rid of a pesky Thousand sons infestation. Blowing through the extra wounds through insta-kill, and starting point blank negates the advantages of the Mark of Tzeenitch. Sure they'll still fight back, but the advantage goes to Space Wolves.
    Votewar MKV 2nd place. . .

Back from internet limbo, and glad to be here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

The 1k sons will dominate the game when it comes to shooting, thanks to the two tri las preds and a staggering 8 bolts of change per turn. The SW vehicles will be more or less wiped put before the drop pods come, and in the massed close combat that follows the wolves will have a hard time chewing through the sons, even in spite of the few powerfist attacks each squad has. In the end, that which looses the game for the wolves is that their army is devided up into small easy to deal with fragments.

1k sons win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Space Wolves cant get shot while in cc and thats what makes up my mind. The wolves will only be taking 1 shooting phase before cc starts blocking LoS and tying up squads. This should allow the rest of the army to drop in relative safety.

even with meltaguns and powerfists it will take the wolves a while to carve through cc however while they do take long they take very little casualties in return. They will be safe in cc and just having fun *****ering models almost double their cost.

Always hitting on a 3+ will advantage the wolves far more than the sons as powerfists only weakness is to hit. TS wont kill much even with 3+ hitting.

I think thousand sons are slightly more fluffy however as they have taken everything they are meant to. Space Wolves however despise drop pods and its rare that they drop so many troops in. Admittedly in Grey Hunter they all deep-striked but that was because there was no other way of getting them onto the battlefield, and everyone had to DS, not just the grey hunters.

Space Wolves get my vote.
    Thousand Sons for fluff.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sigh, i promise i dont disagree with the majority on purpose.
    put honestly, i think the Thousand Sons have this one.
    the disciplined mass firepower will do its damage, and once combat ensues, barring the powerfists, the survivability of the sons will let them hold awhile against the wolves.
    its take and hold, i cant see the wolves moving the implacable...wait. take and hold,
    is that in the middle of the board? someone let me know, then that might change things.

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

The 1k sons will dominate the game when it comes to shooting,
    How do you figure?

Wolf fire first, with almost the same effectiveness, each side will get about 1 shooting phase.

thanks to the two tri las preds and a staggering 8 bolts of change per turn.
    So, these are drop pods, so the trilas preditors dont have a hope of not moving and fire, thus thats 2 twinlinked lascannon shots, fairly unimpressive.

The SW vehicles will be more or less wiped put before the drop pods come,
    You mean those vehicels they cant see?
    There is no way a preditor would ever be able to draw LOS to a skimmer, unless the skimmer was allowing it to. The same goes for the bike mounted HQ

and in the massed close combat that follows the wolves will have a hard time chewing through the sons, even in spite of the few powerfist attacks each squad has.
    Greyhunters VS thousand son, greyhunters charging:
    Grey hunters have lost 4 marines to shooting, TS have lost 2.5 men to shooting, since they will be hit with 2 rounds of fire)

6 attack from normal marines: 4 hits, 2 wounds: .666 dead (one already had half a wound gone)

Thousand sons attacks, (i think are at Iniative one) 6 attacks, 4 hits, 2 wounds, .666 dead

Wolvs Powerfists: 6 attacks, 4 hits, 3.36 instant death.

thousand sons: 3 attacks, 2 hits, 1.68 dead.

Results: Wolves score 6 wounds with fists + 1 wound, resulting in other death: 4 dead.

Wolves lost 2.35 guys. Massive victory to the wolves.

This leaves 3 space wolves to fight 3 thousand sons.

1 space wolve 2 attacks, 1.33 hits, .65 wounds .21 wounded

2 space wolve powerfists: 4 attacks, 2.67 hits: 2.24 dead

TS: 2 attacks, 1 hits, .5 wounds, .16 dead.
    TS: 3 PF, 2 hits, 1.68 dead.

Results: 2 TS dead 4 wounds total
    2 SWs die.

Each powerfist kills eachother.

Pretty neat!

However, this is the first wave of space wolves, basically 2 space wolves squads die, but they take out there points worth of TS.

Next round of drop pods will be hit with only 1/3 the fire power, (but dishing out the same amount) Thus the space wolves win with units left over next time, since the TS only have 1 squad of marines left

In the end, that which looses the game for the wolves is that their army is devided up into small easy to deal with fragments.
    That unlikely, most of the wolves arrive by reserves, good placement ensure the wolves will battle only half of the TS at once, drop pod ensure it.

As well as denying lots of LOS.

wait. take and hold,
    is that in the middle of the board? someone let me know, then that might change things.
    Yes, take and hold is take the middle.
    Last edited by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar; July 17th, 2006 at 05:41.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar
    Greyhunters VS thousand son, greyhunters charging:
    Here's something for people to consider. Thousand Sons are allowed to fire their Bolters and then charge into Combat, so long as the Champion doesn't fire a Rapid Fire weapon (The Bolt of Change is Assault, for the record). While the Rubric 1K Sons won't gain the +1 attack bonus, the Champion will still get the +1 attack and they'll disallow the Space Wolves their charge bonus and second round of fire.

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar
    Thousand sons attacks, (i think are at Iniative one) 6 attacks, 4 hits, 2 wounds, .666 dead
    They used to be, but are no longer. They strike at regular Marine init now.

take and hold,
    is that in the middle of the board? someone let me know, then that might change things
    Yes - Take and Hold is one giant objective point in the middle of the board.
    Last edited by Caluin; July 17th, 2006 at 05:59.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast